• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The game is not bad however, it is too simple. It is the war that makes it weak. If you see Nobunaga's ambition 14, it has what is lacking here. A way to make it possible to win war even if your army is 100 times smaller than your enemy's. The personal traits should have dramatic effects in battles. So miracles can happen and great generals can change the tide of wars.

It means Koei needs 14 games to improve their games to this level. :D

Fast like the wind,
Silent like a forest,
Intrusive like the fire,
Immobile like a mountain,
Under heaven and earth, I alone am feared.
-Takeda Shingen
I want to see that on the battlefield in this game

Fast like the wind,
Silent like a forest,
Intrusive like the fire,
Immobile like a mountain,
Under heaven and earth, I alone am feared.
-Takeda Shingen
I want to see that on the battlefield in this game
We all do

I like the game for what is it. I like the simplicity in contrast to for example CK2. And well yes no game might never ever be "finished" because there is always "improvements" to be made or bugs to be sorted out but all in all I think Sengoku is a finished product. And I love the fact that there is no new DLCs that more or less changes the game. Not that I think it is wrong that EU4 is spitting out DLCs, but for this product: SENGOKU I think it is fine that they considered it done.

I really wish Paradox would make more games like Sengoku and March of the Eagles. Every game must not be so Grand.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like the game for what is it. I like the simplicity in contrast to for example CK2. And well yes no game might never ever be "finished" because there is always "improvements" to be made or bugs to be sorted out but all in all I think Sengoku is a finished product. And I love the fact that there is no new DLCs that more or less changes the game. Not that I think it is wrong that EU4 is spitting out DLCs, but for this product: SENGOKU I think it is fine that they considered it done.

I really wish Paradox would make more games like Sengoku and March of the Eagles. Every game must not be so Grand.

There is a HUGE difference between being done and abandoned. And Sengoku is such a good game right now that it's most prominent mod moved to CK2 because it is better at representing Japan than Sengoku ever was. There are even parts of the interface in this game that are supposed to hold features that don't exist right now.
This game needed DLC far more than CK2 and EU4 ever did.

Sengoku is a game that had a lot of potential, but that potential will never be achieved. I really dislike PI's current low-risk policy to abandon the games that don't immediately do well. Victoria and CK on their release did as bad, if not worse, than Sengoku and MOTE. It was their expansions and PI's long support with patches that slowly built them up and their sequels are what finally reached proper financial success.

Reactions:
Isn't Sengoku on the EU3 engine? I think you'd have a better chance of getting Sengoku 2 than a big expansion for this game (it's probably not setup for easy DLC additions), and you'll probably see that right after Rome 2 happens (which will happen sometime after Vic III comes out maybe before EUV or CKIII (depending which comes first) maybe after(one or both)) :p

Isn't Sengoku on the EU3 engine? I think you'd have a better chance of getting Sengoku 2 than a big expansion for this game (it's probably not setup for easy DLC additions), and you'll probably see that right after Rome 2 happens (which will happen sometime after Vic III comes out maybe before EUV or CKIII (depending which comes first) maybe after(one or both)) :p
Johan said(in this very thread) he doesn't see a sequel being done.

Johan said(in this very thread) he doesn't see a sequel being done.
Aye, that's why I said it isn't happening any time soon. They'll probably at least make Vic III and then either a big engine overhaul with EU or CK before they think of doing one of the spin off titles and even then Sengoku wouldn't be high on that list. I highly doubt they'll go back to a version of the engine that's harder to work on than their more modern stuff (at least it seems like their older stuff was harder) for such a small payoff.

I believe CK2 and Sengoku share an engine, being sister-projects.

It's just one sister was prettier than the other so the other got left by the wayside and never grew up :^(

I think both CK II and Sengoku had Rome as a template. It seems that they are expanding CK II all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if one day China and Japan is going to be added with their "special rules" and timeline expanded so CK II would include Sengoku in it one day. Meanwhile someone has to mod something super awesome so it wouldn't get forgotten.

I don't see us doing a sequel.. Sorry.

It is a sad news, because I like the game and feudal japanese history.

In my opinion, it is probable that the Crusaders Kings 2 DLC continues to expand to East, and soon we will have China and Japan.

While we have the mods for Sengoku.

Reactions:
It means Koei needs 14 games to improve their games to this level. :D

Koei's done it since the 90's (save Iron Triangle). Also had more starting dates. Paradox just has the advantage of always porting their games stateside (but it seems Koei's catching up with Sphere of Influence).

The real problem, I think, with a Sengoku sequel is that people will be afraid it will just be a Japanese CKII (or, an official mod) with a few tweaks here and there. If Sengoku gets a new rendition, it needs to feel distinctive, but still maintain some of the core that it had previously as well. It's a pretty tight line to walk.

I can't see Sengoku ever getting a sequel, to be honest. It always did have that feel of "here, have this until the real game (CK2) comes out" - right from the start. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Rome, however, really needs to not be abandoned.

Reactions:
This was a fun little game.

Reactions: