[UPDATED 12/08/21] Monetizing from Youtube videos containing Paradox Interactive material!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you allow my favorite Youtubers to make a buck, then I can only see it as fair I'd buy your products. =)
I'll be adding City Skylines and Pillars of Eternity to my library later today.

Glad to hear :)

i only recently found out we can monetize gameplay footage if the company is ok with it and thinking about monetizing my lets play of pillars of eternity but weirdly when i try to find info i end up on this thread though im sure its done by another company...little confused...do you guys hold the rights? is it ok to monetize them ?
the videos in question https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3IZb27bCIu8TBKlGTQFAV2-E9XgHIjtf

it should be noted that getting money for my videos is not a driving force or the goal, just well...games are an expensive hobby so a little something back will help

i only recently found out we can monetize gameplay footage if the company is ok with it and thinking about monetizing my lets play of pillars of eternity but weirdly when i try to find info i end up on this thread though im sure its done by another company...little confused...do you guys hold the rights? is it ok to monetize them ?
the videos in question https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3IZb27bCIu8TBKlGTQFAV2-E9XgHIjtf

it should be noted that getting money for my videos is not a driving force or the goal, just well...games are an expensive hobby so a little something back will help

Paradox is only the publisher of PoE. I have however seen quite a few people doing youtube videos on it so it should not be a problem to do so.

However with your relativ low view count (200.000) I doubt you will ever see any youtube money, since you as I remember need to earn at least X money/month to actually get them. Think this X = 100$ but I'm not sure.

Paradox is only the publisher of PoE. I have however seen quite a few people doing youtube videos on it so it should not be a problem to do so.

However with your relativ low view count (200.000) I doubt you will ever see any youtube money, since you as I remember need to earn at least X money/month to actually get them. Think this X = 100$ but I'm not sure.
cool.

I have monitized other videos, my unprofessional reviews for example and some how to's minecraft modding and some other stuff, though i always disable the adverts that appear for 5 seconds before the vid (i find those aweful and wont inflict them on my viewers, in the same way i dont inflict 20 to 30 second intro graphics on my viewers, always straight into the vid)

The limit untill a pay out is £60 after a mere 4 or 5 years of monitizing the odd video im already up to £49.13 ! so any year now i should get a pay out ! basically if its ok to monetize them then i really should, it is not why i do the videos but that £60 when it comes will make a huge difference to that months budget (us security guards get very low wages)

some comparisions :
as a mod developer for minecraft, my now too out of date mod was downloaded 1200 times (i want to say 1262 if memory serves but cant remember exactly) : amount made in donations : £0
my windows phone app Rpg app (1st edition) 127 downloads : amount made in donations : £0
The sequel to above (for windows phones AND windows 8.1+ store) 53 downloads(phone side only cant see desktop side downloads at mo) : amount made in donations : £0
(for those that want to know about the apps http://forums.windowscentral.com/app-spotlight/353188-rpg-app-mr-g-reaper-thread.html )

So im counting the £49.13 as a great win even if its taken years, doesnt cover the cost of my elgato+broadcast quality mic (that my cat promptly made semi broadcast quality by pushing it off the table) and fees for xsplit when i started (i now use obs) :)

Sadly in the world of video game videos it seems you either need to get the games really early (with permission of the developer to show the footage...ie partnership), be on certain whitelisted minecraft servers or be very very deeply charismatic to do it as anything more then a hobby :)

Reactions:
I got into EU4 because I would watch Quill18's Lets Plays on Civ V and YouTube always shows other videos from that user. I saw one of his EU4 Let's Plays and it looked interesting enough to me that I bought the base game and a few of the earlier expansions. I fell in love with the game style and bought up basically everything concerning EU4, CK2, Vic2. HoW is next!

I still watch Quill18 and Arumba's Lets Plays whenever they come out. Gets me excited to try new things in game!

What I want to ask specifically is if I may use Paradox Interactive soundtracks and music taken out of the context of their games. That means I might be able to do a lets play about EU4 but am I allowed to use the soundtracks in EU4 and CK2 for videos not related with the game itself and monetize them with ads?

What I want to ask specifically is if I may use Paradox Interactive soundtracks and music taken out of the context of their games. That means I might be able to do a lets play about EU4 but am I allowed to use the soundtracks in EU4 and CK2 for videos not related with the game itself and monetize them with ads?
No, sorry.

You can use the music in the context of the game?

Given that all Youtubers have playing with the music on I would say yes.
Not what I was referring to, I mean adding the music to the gameplay.

I'm not sure what you mean. Not just playing with the sound on, but having the soundtrack run in the background?
If I add the music afterwards to the video in the editing.

Not music from other Paradox games?
If you are talking about games made by PDS, that should work fine. Games published by us, I don't know.

Edit: I don't know, because I work in the studio, PDS, so I mostly know about our own stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions:
If you are talking about games made by PDS, that should work fine. Games published by us, I don't know.

Edit: I don't know, because I work in the studio, PDS, so I mostly know about our own stuff.
Thank you. It has been very helpful.