Hearts of Iron IV - Developer Diary 16 - World Tension

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You made my day.

Edit : by faction, do you mean the fascist, neutral, democratic and communist party inside each country ?

No, that is the political parties and these are 100% modable as well so no dispare there... When it come to think of it hoi4 is very very modable, like our other titles are.

Reactions:
Thanks a lot, so we can add more and more political parties to a country, it's a very good news :D
We strive to do the game as modable as we can, but i think there will be a separate dd about that O;)

Reactions:
Sure. That's why Japan invading China may concern the UK, France or the Soviet Union. It won't concern Yugoslavia, Argentina or Poland that much. Just as Italy annexing Albania will mean next to nothing to Thailand, Brazil, Mexico or even the USA, while Greece and Yugoslavia may be deeply concerned.

At least nation status and proximity need to taken into account in order to have a decent system, which means that one global World Tension value simply won't cut it

Sadly, this is where, at least in theory, the threat / neutrality system works better. A global Doomcounter is a really awkward tool when you have drastically different points of view. A European war would be highly concerning for countries in Europe, not so much for, say South America and vice versa.

Reactions:
This looks like numerical game-play where you rack up BB score and then wait for it to decay. Can't say I like it, but will of course just have to wait to see how the actual game is before deciding.
Sure. That's why Japan invading China may concern the UK, France or the Soviet Union. It won't concern Yugoslavia, Argentina or Poland that much. Just as Italy annexing Albania will mean next to nothing to Thailand, Brazil, Mexico or even the USA, while Greece and Yugoslavia may be deeply concerned.

At least nation status and proximity need to taken into account in order to have a decent system, which means that one global World Tension value simply won't cut it

It´s certain there will be modifiers, just like Agressive Expansion isn´t symetrical to all your neighbours in EU4.

Brazil joined becuase there was extra pressure/bonuses from US for us to do so, and neutral shipping of ours was attacked.

Yeah, since a long time PI games are very moddable and now you confirm me that HoI 4 will follow the same path, I'm very happy :)
Can't wait to the DD about the modding !
No exception there, as long as it is not so time critical that it makes it impossible. We want you guys to expand our games with your imagination!
Hopefully you would be able to to gfx/gui/sound and even some defines mods without changing the checksum for example. The rest of it i will have to wait until a dd, but i can say now that it will be alot of goodies for the moders!

Reactions:
No exception there, as long as it is not so time critical that it makes it impossible. We want you guys to expand our games with your imagination!
Hopefully you would be able to to gfx/gui/sound and even some defines mods without changing the checksum for example. The rest of it i will have to wait until a dd, but i can say now that it will be alot of goodies for the moders!

A full guide of all the command, scope and conditions will be enough :p

A full guide of all the command, scope and conditions will be enough :p
Already there, some bugs with the system right now that only prints a partial list but that will be fixed until release O;P

Reactions:

Will UI be moddable?

thx

Reactions:
Very nice Dev Diary! Glad to see things are getting on track. Sounds like the game is no longer stuck in the land of frustration and is now moving forward again.

The point is that belligerent actions made by Germany should make it easier to perform belligerent actions against Germany (*shocked face*), but that's it. When Japan DOWs China, nations like Bulgaria, Switzerland, Sweden or Romania shouldn't be affected, because, well, why would they care?

I think what we are lacking is the mechanical connection between justifications for war and world tension. Surely there is some kind of connection between the two, but it is not clear what that is.

Keep in mind that the Soviets and British went ahead and invaded Persia even though Persia had attacked no one and was not formally part of the Axis. This was done in 1941; I could see the World Tension modifier playing a part in the ability to DOW Persia, but you would also need a CB of some sort.

Don't CBs cost political power?

Reactions:
I agree Cybvep. I also feel there should be built in threat ratings depending upon relationships. For example the World might look at Greece as 0 threat, but Turkey would be say 30 just because of the history between the two nations. All it might take is one or two actions / reasons to provoke hostilities. Also discriminatory tendencies / beliefs towards factions of different types.

What sort of effects will world tension be for Commitern nations? Will they work in a similiar way as fascists by trying to limit the amount of world tension per conquest?

Hard for me to get a very clear idea of what all that macro-diplomatic thing will be exactly (even if I seem to quite like this world tension system), as we lack some crucial knowledge for the moment, but I am rather confident in the dev team for this HoI4.

I hope for some more substential DD now, and on essential aspects like supplies, convoys/transports, land combats, infrastructure/ressources developpement, etc...

And I STILL want pilots/crew pools for aircrafts and navies !!!

Reactions: