• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe you will consider this untidy, or maybe you will not care, but FYI, the titles used for dynamic CoA for England and Aragon appear in the “find title” interface without localisations. (Typing “k_” brings up the four k_emf_* titles.) (There is also e_emf_null.)

Maybe you will consider this untidy, or maybe you will not care, but FYI, the titles used for dynamic CoA for England and Aragon appear in the “find title” interface without localisations. (Typing “k_” brings up the four k_emf_* titles.)
Yeah, I suppose they would.

We could give the titles localisation, but they, of course, are purely CoA-titular titles. It would be more confusing if we named them "England" or "Aragon" or something like that. Perhaps we can name them something that people are likely to find through normal search? I'm thinking, e.g., ":CoA:Saxon England" (note the prefix of a colon)?

Reactions:
Yeah, I suppose they would.

We could give the titles localisation, but they, of course, are purely CoA-titular titles. It would be more confusing if we named them "England" or "Aragon" or something like that. Perhaps we can name them something that people are likely to find through normal search? I'm thinking, e.g., ":CoA:Saxon England" (note the prefix of a colon)?

Actually, that example isn't necessarily good if we want to truly hide them, because "England" or "Aragon" substrings are still in there...

Find title search only searches by prefix, so that would work fine. It’s already terrifically slow, so I can only imagine how bad it would be if it were searching by substring.

Find title search only searches by prefix, so that would work fine. It’s already terrifically slow, so I can only imagine how bad it would be if it were searching by substring.

Right, right. Well, I'll try to get them localised as such, as it is a bit untidy otherwise. Thanks.

Not entirely sure if this is the right place to ask this, but would the feature this mod has be something that could be integrated?

I've nothing against allowing bisexual seduction in EMF (indeed, done properly and plausibly, it would much better represent such "alternative" affairs than vanilla's setup), but honestly, it's just not a priority.

Hi! In (v3.10-BETA - 2015-04-08) there is a file common\cb_types\PB_AutonomyFaction.txt which seems to cause a bug:

When I play the Byz Emperor and fail to arrest a vassal, sometimes he picks the reduce_crown_levies CB from there for his revolt. The revolt war then instantly becomes invalid, because all CBs in the file have is_valid = { always = no } set.

When I delete the file (it seems to be useless?) the bug no longer happens and the vassal uses the normal "against the tyranny of..." CB. Maybe you'll want to exclude the file from the next distribution, unless there is a hidden purpose to it.

Hi! In (v3.10-BETA - 2015-04-08) there is a file common\cb_types\PB_AutonomyFaction.txt which seems to cause a bug:

When I play the Byz Emperor and fail to arrest a vassal, sometimes he picks the reduce_crown_levies CB from there for his revolt. The revolt war then instantly becomes invalid, because all CBs in the file have is_valid = { always = no } set.

When I delete the file (it seems to be useless?) the bug no longer happens and the vassal uses the normal "against the tyranny of..." CB. Maybe you'll want to exclude the file from the next distribution, unless there is a hidden purpose to it.
This matches a bug report from Think0028 from last night.

How do you know it was the reduce_crown_levies CB if it instantly invalidated? Where would you even see an indication of the CB? Slightly confused about that part.

FWIW, those CBs are only present for save-compatibility. We just recently got rid of the Autonomy Faction, so it's still possible people have saves with AF wars going on in them, in which case loading with the new version would just instantly invalidate them. However, if this is indeed somehow causing these CBs to be used (for what reason I truly do not know) instead of overthrow_ruler (War Against the Tyranny of...), I will ditch the file, because I think that the engine is smart enough to invalidate wars for which the CB no longer exists.

How do you know it was the reduce_crown_levies CB if it instantly invalidated? Where would you even see an indication of the CB? Slightly confused about that part.

In the top right notification area, I get "14th Byzantine Civil War to Reduce Obligations has ended inconclusively (Casus Belli no longer valid)" the moment the revolt war should have started.

Searching through the localizations, that text only matches WAR_NAME_REDUCE_CROWN_LEVIES.

I'm guessing the cause to be the "is_revolt_cb = yes" entries for the CBs in the file. That seems to make them eligible for this situation even when the can_use condition evaluated to false. Changing those to "is_revolt_cb = no" also seems to fix the problem.

In the top right notification area, I get "14th Byzantine Civil War to Reduce Obligations has ended inconclusively (Casus Belli no longer valid)" the moment the revolt war should have started.

Searching through the localizations, that text only matches WAR_NAME_REDUCE_CROWN_LEVIES.

I'm guessing the cause to be the "is_revolt_cb = yes" entries for the CBs in the file. That seems to make them eligible for this situation even when the can_use condition evaluated to false. Changing those to "is_revolt_cb = no" also seems to fix the problem.

That's very interesting. Thank you. I'll be removing the vestigial AF revolt CBs in the beta within a few hours.

Using my phone while at work and can't get the search to work right. I apologize if this has been asked and answered already. One of my favorite very visible mechanics is the ability to convert feudal counties into cities. Was curious how it was accomplished to get it to work correctly.

A couple of minor questions: One, should the Infidel Revocation Law not have at least the same opinion penalty as the standard free revocation? It does basically the same thing, and then some. (something similar might be said about the Total King's Peace in comparison with the internal one.)*
Two, I'm a little curious how the new commander levels work. Is it just a random chance event that occurs when a character is present in a successful battle? Or do you in part have to be a vassal? I've seen a number of vassals get the first level and yet my character, who has led more significantly more often, is lacking.

*I should add that I'm sorry if it seems like I only ever come on here to be nitpicky. The mod is really, really well-thought out in every way and I greatly enjoy it.

Using my phone while at work and can't get the search to work right. I apologize if this has been asked and answered already. One of my favorite very visible mechanics is the ability to convert feudal counties into cities. Was curious how it was accomplished to get it to work correctly.

Do you mean conversion to merchant republics? With magic. The code for that feature is all in this file:
https://github.com/zijistark/EMF/blob/beta/EMF/events/emf_mr.txt

A couple of minor questions: One, should the Infidel Revocation Law not have at least the same opinion penalty as the standard free revocation? It does basically the same thing, and then some. (something similar might be said about the Total King's Peace in comparison with the internal one.)*
Two, I'm a little curious how the new commander levels work. Is it just a random chance event that occurs when a character is present in a successful battle? Or do you in part have to be a vassal? I've seen a number of vassals get the first level and yet my character, who has led more significantly more often, is lacking.

*I should add that I'm sorry if it seems like I only ever come on here to be nitpicky. The mod is really, really well-thought out in every way and I greatly enjoy it.

You are absolutely correct about Free Infidel Revocation and Complete King's Peace. Somehow I missed adding a proper stacking opinion malus to the highest-tier of these 2 sub-laws. :eek:

The fix is in the beta now:
https://github.com/zijistark/EMF/commit/a3406a87f45663b09b7d3aeb0d5e16a55801014a

Regarding command veteran trait awards, they do indeed boil down to a low probability for each commander (subunit commanders are included, as they're risking lives and doing their jobs just as much as any commander in the unit) that is victorious in a battle considered "major" (earned at least the amount of warscore required to settle an undecided war) earning a trait or trait advancement each time. The probabilities vary by tier and have been tuned via observes and whole-world analysis to produce a suitable distribution of the tiers in steady state.

I suspect that the reason you've not earned any such traits yourself may actually be due to a bug/oversight. For some mysterious reason the "major victory" trigger from the engine doesn't seem to be firing if you're in command but actually the liege personally involved in the war. I do have a workaround in mind, however, and you can expect to earn them even as the liege in the next release or in the beta soon.

Thank you for your praise, and no, don't worry; criticism is always welcome in this thread. You spotted my oversight with those crown laws just now, so I'm in your debt, actually. It does feel good to hear that you appreciate that the mod is well thought-out and enjoyable, though, as naturally I mostly only get to interact with users regarding their problems with HIP. :)

It's time for another new feature preview! Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

This isn't the most efficient approach to expanding the decision menu; some other mods have increased the width of the intrigue view and added room for a dozen or more decisions to display at once. We were considering doing the same, but settled on this approach as a compromise. It gives us a bit more room, doesn't sacrifice anything, is compatible with ARKO interface, and still works with the same display resolutions as vanilla CKII.

(That last point is especially important for me with my ancient 4:3 1024x768 CRT, which is currently on track to outlive me and will possibly even outlast civilization itself and form the basis of a breed of sentient monitor machines which will build a new civilization on the ashes of ours, with the determination to avoid humanity's worst mistakes, like creating Adobe Flash, keeping cats as pets, and thinking lawns were ever a good idea.)

Later this week I'll post a preview for another new feature, though if you pay attention to our changelog on GitHub (and you should! Github is the best) you can probably guess what it involves...

Reactions:
^
|
+---- Slick as hell new decisions menu in EMF. AnaxXiphos is the best damn thing that ever happened to that menu.

This is what it looks like when you don't run an ancient 1024x768 CRT. [How does the man cope? I truly don't know.]

AnaxXiphos (or perhaps better, Ozymandias), that's lovely - it's one of those little things that you never thought you'd want, until you actually see it. At which point you can't really live without it. I'm curious, is it possible to do something similar to the army screens? In particular, make them wider? It would be nice to actually be able to read the names of the owners of the liege levies instead of this:
ck2_3.jpg

Reactions:
AnaxXiphos (or perhaps better, Ozymandias), that's lovely - it's one of those little things that you never thought you'd want, until you actually see it. At which point you can't really live without it. I'm curious, is it possible to do something similar to the army screens? In particular, make them wider? It would be nice to actually be able to read the names of the owners of the liege levies instead of this:]

Yeah, I've been using it now, and it'd be impossible for me to go back. Feels so obviously necessary and correct.

In general, EMF is not in the business of UI enhancements, so we won't be attacking anything like you mentioned. This was just something we viewed as a Must Have for all of our installs, and further, it directly affects our freedom to add new decisions, so we morphed into GUI modders for a minute. [ And by "we," I mean Anax, because my actual ability to hand-modify digital art has been righteously compared to that of a squirrel or other small, woodland animal. ]

Good God! What's his operating system? Windows 95?!
I think he said he's had the monitor for 10 years. His CPU keeps pace with mine on CK2 observes, though, so he isn't fooling around there. [ I know that fact only because there were times last year when VIET Immersion was on its way out (constantly crashing) and Anax and I were both desperately trying to find the source(s) of the crashes by disabling huge swathes of VIET and running observes until we [ideally] would NOT crash within 20 years, then re-enabling stuff and running more observes, etc. That never did pan-out for VIET, though. ]

Do not judge a man by the size of his monitor. [ Seriously, because those CRTs are freaking huge. ]

It's time for another new feature preview! Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

This isn't the most efficient approach to expanding the decision menu; some other mods have increased the width of the intrigue view and added room for a dozen or more decisions to display at once. We were considering doing the same, but settled on this approach as a compromise. It gives us a bit more room, doesn't sacrifice anything, is compatible with ARKO interface, and still works with the same display resolutions as vanilla CKII.

(That last point is especially important for me with my ancient 4:3 1024x768 CRT, which is currently on track to outlive me and will possibly even outlast civilization itself and form the basis of a breed of sentient monitor machines which will build a new civilization on the ashes of ours, with the determination to avoid humanity's worst mistakes, like creating Adobe Flash, keeping cats as pets, and thinking lawns were ever a good idea.)

Later this week I'll post a preview for another new feature, though if you pay attention to our changelog on GitHub (and you should! Github is the best) you can probably guess what it involves...
Any chance this GUI adjustment might be made into a standalone mod?

Reactions: