• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I, hereby, present my following proposal to Congress for debate:

Article I
Slavery, nor any form of involuntary servitude shall exist within the Republic of California, or any territory subject to their jurisdiction.

Article II
Congress shall have the ability to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

This motion is open to any appropriate amendments that members of this Convention would like to include.

Alexander Kingston,
Representative from San Diego

I offer a second for this motion so that we may put an end to the abomination that is the practice of slavery.

My slaves are my property, and I will not have you take them from me!

Mister Marshall, human beings are not for owning as property. We should all have the ability to be free and not be bonded to another man as his property. It is completely contradictory to our goal to create a democratic and free nation.

Alexander Kingston,

There are also many quotes against slavery from the Bible, Mister Rothschild-Morgenthau. Please do not use a small quote to defend your unchristian position.

Alexander Kingston,

If the very basis of our national and social morality is concentrated around the old book, why should the values of our constitution not replicate the merit of religious principles? While the distinction between Church and State must be upheld, the morals of our system of governance should be replicated in our theological investments. We should uphold the institution of slavery to the same degree that we uphold values of altruism and charity.

Augustus Naddim Rothschild-Morgenthau

"I recognise the motion from Mister Kingston, and put it to vote, alongside those already established.

I also provide an amendment to Mr. Reed's proposal, whereby, if the motion is rejected, then there shall be no official language of the Republic."

"I hereby present my votes for the aforementioned ridiculously large number of motions.

On Mr. Clark's proposal for a popularly-elected executive: I vote yes.

On Mr. Menzies' proposal for the executive to be elected to a single five-year term: I vote no. Though I agree with the principles of a single-term executive, I disagree in that it should last five years. A six-year term would perhaps be much better, as a balance to any short-term members of the legislature.

On Mr. Menzies' proposal for the passage of literacy tests in order to acquire suffrage: I vehemently vote no.

On Mr. Menzies' proposal for the organization of the Eastern Territories: I vote yes.

On Mr. Owing's proposal for a strong guarantee of free speech, religion, press, property, and other innate natural rights: I resoundingly vote yes.

On Mr. Owing's proposal for basic judicial rights for the Citizen: I again vote yes.

On Mr. Kingston's proposal regarding the abomination of slavery, I vote yes.

And finally, on Mr. Reed's proposal for English and Spanish to be established as the official languages of this Republic: I vote no."

Mr. Isaac Leonard Shaw
Delegate from Los Angeles

I put to vote the following motions:
Mr. Clark's proposal that the Chief Magistrate is to be directly elected by the people. If the motion is rejected, then Mr. Menzies' proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected by the legislature shall be automatically adopted.

In favor.

Mr. Hyde's proposal for a commitment to secularism and freedom of religion.

Opposed.

Mr. Menzies' proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected to a single five year term. If the motion is rejected, I call upon the house to offer an alternative term span and limit.

In favor.

Mr. Menzies' proposal for the suffrage of all White, Hispanic and Civilised Native males capable of passing a literacy test and over the age of twenty. If the motion is rejected, I call upon the house to offer an alternative suffrage qualification.

Opposed.

Mr. Menzies' proposal for the organisation of the Eastern Territories as autonomous territories. If the motion is rejected, I call upon the house to offer an alternative for the organisation of the Eastern territories.

In favor.

Mr. Owing's proposal for the guarantee of the freedom of speech, religion, press and, property, and other such rights.

In favor.

Mr. Owing's proposal as to the trial of citizens by their peers, and other such basic judicial rights.

In favor.

Mr. Reed's proposal that the languages of the Republic shall be English and Spanish. If this motion is rejected, it shall be resolved that English shall be the sole language of the Republic.

Opposed.

For the matter of the legislature, I shall await additional proposals before putting all such motions to a concurrent vote. Delegates shall select one out of the several proposals that they prefer.

Mister Marshall, human beings are not for owning as property. We should all have the ability to be free and not be bonded to another man as his property. It is completely contradictory to our goal to create a democratic and free nation.

Alexander Kingston,

You do not seem to understand, Mr. Kingston. It is not a matter of freedom or ideals, there are far more simple considerations why your proposal to abolish slavery is impractical to a point where it becomes ridiculous. You see, only yesterday I spent 100 pounds as a business investment in my company. I bought two fine and strong slaves, who I expect will continue to work for me at least 30 years long if I keep them in good shape.

Now, should you pass your "idealistic" proposal to champion the slaves like a real Spartacus, what do you expect me to do? No, worse still, what do you expect the poor farmer with one slave to do, who relies on his companion to harvest all the corn from his fields? You cannot compensate him, for the total value of slaves in our State far exceeds your purse or the Republic's purse, even. You cannot possibly force him to release the slave, for he will lose his only investment and property. The farmer will die, the family will die, the slave will die. Is this truly your view on freedom?

- John Marshall

If the very basis of our national and social morality is concentrated around the old book, why should the values of our constitution not replicate the merit of religious principles? While the distinction between Church and State must be upheld, the morals of our system of governance should be replicated in our theological investments. We should uphold the institution of slavery to the same degree that we uphold values of altruism and charity.

Augustus Naddim Rothschild-Morgenthau
Sir, as much as I love our creator, I must disagree. We must intend to establish a democracy, not a theocracy. If we truly wish to upheld the principles of church and state then we must not base our constitution on the bible. California must grow as an independent entity. Also, I do not like you slandering our Lord's name by saying he supports the institution of slavery. You should be ashamed.

I have seen that Mr. William Reed has incorporated some essential elements of my proposition into his and I shall thus withdraw my proposition and second his.

I vote Aye to Mr. Clark's proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be directly elected by the people.

I vote Aye to Mr. Hyde's proposal for a commitment to secularism and freedom of religion.

I vote Nay to Mr. Menzies' proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected to a single five year term.

I vote Aye to Mr. Menzies' proposal for the suffrage of all White, Hispanic and Civilised Native males capable of passing a literacy test and over the age of twenty.

I vote Nay to Mr. Menzies' proposal for the organisation of the Eastern Territories as autonomous territories.

I vote Aye to Mr. Owing's proposal for the guarantee of the freedom of speech, religion, press and, property, and other such rights.

I vote Aye to Mr. Owing's proposal as to the trial of citizens by their peers, and other such basic judicial rights.

I vote Nay to Mr. Reed's proposal that the languages of the Republic shall be English and Spanish.

On Mr. Clark's proposal for a popularly-elected executive: I vote yes.

On Mr. Menzies' proposal for the executive to be elected to a single five-year term: I vote yes.

On Mr. Menzies' proposal on voting I vote yes.

On Mr. Menzies' proposal for the organization of the Eastern Territories: I vote yes.

On Mr. Kingston's proposal regarding the abolition of slavery, I vote no.

On Mr. Reed's proposal for English and Spanish to be established as the official language I vote no.

On Mr. Hyde's proposal for a commitment to secularism and freedom of religion I vote yes.

On my own proposals I vote yes.

Last edited:

Alexander Kingston,

It is completely contradictory to our goal to create a democratic and free nation if we allow the government to take away a man's property.

-Colton Burpo

Mister Kingston, do you believe that dogs and cattle should have the same rights? Then why insist on negro equality?

Furthermore, the Bible clearly supports slavery. Jesus speaks out against many practices of the time but never condemns slavery. Why is that if slavery is morally wrong and unchristian? Clearly it is supported by God if Jesus never felt the need to speak out against it! Surely he encountered many slaves in a Roman territory. Are you saying that you have a superior understanding of God's word than the Lord Jesus Christ? There is also the curse of Canaan to consider which clearly ordains the superiority of the white man over the negro race. I can go on and on, but we would be here all day.

-Colton Burpo
Representative from Los Angeles

The Bible, Mister Burpo, does in fact condone race-based slavery, referenced in Genesis 1:27. Also Sir, humans have come a long way from biblical times and have made many intellectual and scientific advancements that toss aside ideas and practices from long ago. Thus, why cannot slavery not be a practice that is long outdated and needs to end?

Alexander Kingston,

I vote against Mr. Clark's proposal that the Chief Magistrate is to be directly elected by the people and thus in favour of Mr. Menzies' proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected by the legislature.

I vote against Mr. Hyde's proposal for a commitment to secularism and freedom of religion.

I vote in favour of Mr. Menzies' proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected to a single five year term.

I vote in favour of Mr. Menzies' proposal for the suffrage of all White, Hispanic and Civilised Native males capable of passing a literacy test and over the age of twenty.

I vote in favour of Mr. Menzies' proposal for the organisation of the Eastern Territories as autonomous territories.

I vote in favour of Mr. Owing's proposal for the guarantee of the freedom of speech, religion, press and, property, and other such rights.

I vote against Mr. Owing's proposal as to the trial of citizens by their peers, and other such basic judicial rights.

I vote against Mr. Reed's proposal that the languages of the Republic shall be English and Spanish.

I vote against Mr. Kingston's slavery proposal.

Last edited:
I vote Aye to Mr. Clark's proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be directly elected by the people.

I vote Aye to Mr. Hyde's proposal for a commitment to secularism and freedom of religion.

I vote Nay to Mr. Menzies' proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected to a single five year term.

I vote Aye to Mr. Menzies' proposal for the suffrage of all White, Hispanic and Civilised Native males capable of passing a literacy test and over the age of twenty.

I vote Nay to Mr. Menzies' proposal for the organisation of the Eastern Territories as autonomous territories.

I vote Aye to Mr. Owing's proposal for the guarantee of the freedom of speech, religion, press and, property, and other such rights.

I vote Aye to Mr. Owing's proposal as to the trial of citizens by their peers, and other such basic judicial rights.

I vote Aye to Mr. Reed's proposal that the languages of the Republic shall be English and Spanish.

I vote Aye to Mr. Kingston's proposal regarding the abolition of slavery within the boundaries of the republic.

~ W.R. Reed

Last edited:
I vote against Mr. Clark's proposal that the Chief Magistrate is to be directly elected by the people.

I vote in favour of Mr. Hyde's proposal for a commitment to secularism and freedom of religion.

I vote against Mr. Menzies' proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected to a single five year term.

I vote in favour of Mr. Menzies' proposal for the suffrage of all White, Hispanic and Civilised Native males capable of passing a literacy test and over the age of twenty.

I vote against Mr. Menzies' proposal for the organisation of the Eastern Territories as autonomous territories.

I vote in favour of Mr. Owing's proposal for the guarantee of the freedom of speech, religion, press and, property, and other such rights.

I vote in favour of Mr. Owing's proposal as to the trial of citizens by their peers, and other such basic judicial rights.

I vote in favour of Mr. Reed's proposal that the languages of the Republic shall be English and Spanish.

I vote in favour of Mr. Kingston's slavery proposal.

Alexander Kingston,

An open letter to the Constitutional Convention

To the most respected members of the Congressional Convention:

I have refrained from taking part or interfering in any of the past proceedings, as I, being a naval officer, thought it best to remain at my post. The role of the military, I have always believed, should be to protect, advise, and serve a civilian government, to remain at their post no matter the political landscape of the current government, and to abstain from the politicking that makes up such a landscape. In this way, as long as I remain at my post, I will refuse any and all party allegiances, and ask all like-minded officers to do so as well.

However, as a man of an egalitarian ideology, I have found it difficult to refrain from adding my voice to the proceedings, and, remembering the events that drove my dear uncle the Marquis de Lafayette to exile, I thought it best to publish my ideas in writing, to be discussed by the assembly as they so choose. In doing so, I propose the following Bill of Rights to be enshrined in the constitution, in a similar fashion to that of the United States of America. I ask that the assembly take all necessary discussion on this matter, for this is a moment of great import for our shared nation.

1. The National Government shall not infringe upon a citizen's right to worship, nor shall he raise one form of worship above the other. Furthermore, he shall protect the citizen's right to worship, including that of religious minorities, and will refrain from persecuting said minorities. The National Government shall also endeavor to separate any established church from the state, and prevent religious interference with that of the state. In addition, the National Government shall protect and encourage all freedom of the press, speech, and peaceful assembly, as well as a citizen's right to petition his government for redress.

2. The National Government shall not infringe upon a citizen's right to privacy. In doing so, the National Government refrains from performing illegal espionage upon her own citizen's, from illegal and unwarranted search and seizure, and from the illegal and unnecessary quartering of troops in times of peace without the owner's consent.

3. The National Government shall not infringe upon a citizen's right to property without due compensation, excepting in cases within which illegal actions have taken place using said property. In such cases, the property shall be considered evidence of a felony, however seizure must be considered temporary, to be returned in cases where the citizen is deemed innocent.

4. The National Government shall not interfere in the jurisdiction of a free and independent judiciary, by way of bill of attainder or of illegal pardon. The National Government shall not hold any man accountable for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, except on indictment of a Grand Jury by his peers, nor shall any person be forcibly made or compelled to bear witness against themselves, nor shall a person be made to account for the same crime after having once been declared innocent, excepting cases of appeal.

5. All men shall have a right to a speedy and public trial by an impartial judge of the Government and a jury made up of his peers from the district in which the crime took place. He shall be informed of the nature and causes of accusations against him, and shall be given all legal assistance for his defense. Included in this legal assistance is a reading of all rights granted to him by the National Government and Judiciary.

6. No punishment deemed cruel or unusual shall be inflicted towards the convicted. The Judiciary shall refrain from imposing excessive bail or fines upon the convicted.

7. The governments of the cities and municipalities of the nation retain the right of a well-armed and regulated citizen's guard, to provide for the general welfare, ensure inner stability, and as protection against both foreign and native threats to the nation.

8. The rights described in the Constitution shall not disparage or deny other rights guaranteed and retained by the people, nor will it disparage or deny any rights granted to the municipalities.​

I shall await an answer by the National Government to my proposed amendments, and will remain delighted by the answer, no matter the outcome.

-Dutifully yours,

Commodore Pierre du Motier

I vote in opposition to Mr. Clark's proposal that the Chief Magistrate is to be directly elected by the people.

I vote in support of Mr. Hyde's proposal for a commitment to secularism and freedom of religion.

I vote in support of my own proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected to a single five year term.

I vote in support of my own proposal for the suffrage of all White, Hispanic, and Civilized Native males capable of passing a literacy test and over the age of twenty.

I vote in support of my own proposal for the organisation of the Eastern Territories as autonomous territories.

I vote in support of Mr. Owing's proposal for the guarantee of the freedom of speech, religion, press and, property, and other such rights.

I vote in support of Mr. Owing's proposal as to the trial of citizens by their peers, and other such basic judicial rights.

I vote in support of Mr. Reed's proposal that the languages of the Republic shall be English and Spanish.

I pass in regards to Mr. Kingston's slavery proposal.

Mr. Clark's proposal that the Chief Magistrate is to be directly elected by the people. If the motion is rejected, then Mr. Menzies' proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected by the legislature shall be automatically adopted.

As this is my own proposal, obviously I vote Aye.

Mr. Hyde's proposal for a commitment to secularism and freedom of religion.

As I seconded this motion, again obvious I vote Aye.

Mr. Menzies' proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected to a single five year term. If the motion is rejected, I call upon the house to offer an alternative term span and limit.

I believe limiting the terms a president can serve to one is a excellent counter to tyranny, and that 5 years is a decent time to do as he requires, and fits conveniently with decades. I vote Aye.

Mr. Menzies' proposal for the suffrage of all White, Hispanic and Civilised Native males capable of passing a literacy test and over the age of twenty. If the motion is rejected, I call upon the house to offer an alternative suffrage qualification.

I require more information before casting a vote here. What language would the literacy test be in? What defines a 'Civilised Native'? Until these fundamental questions have been answered, I can not vote on this motion.

Mr. Menzies' proposal for the organisation of the Eastern Territories as autonomous territories. If the motion is rejected, I call upon the house to offer an alternative for the organisation of the Eastern territories.

While I support this motion, it must be asked, what is meant by 'autonomous territories', which seems to give power to entities outside the federal governmnet. A Unitarian form of government has already been decided for this nation, though against my personal beliefs. I can not in good conscience vote in favour of a motion that would violate the previously established decision of this convention. If I am mistaken in my understanding of this motion, then I am willing to listen to a clearer explanation.

Mr. Owing's proposal for the guarantee of the freedom of speech, religion, press and, property, and other such rights.

As I seconded this motion, obviously I vote Aye.

Mr. Owing's proposal as to the trial of citizens by their peers, and other such basic judicial rights.

As I seconded this motion, obviously I vote Aye.

Mr. Reed's proposal that the languages of the Republic shall be English and Spanish.

I vote Aye

I vote in favour of Mr. Clark's proposal that the Chief Magistrate is to be directly elected by the people.

I vote in favour of my own proposal for a commitment to secularism and freedom of religion.

I vote in favour of Mr. Menzies' proposal for the Chief Magistrate to be elected to a single five year term.

I vote in favour of Mr. Menzies' proposal for the organisation of the Eastern Territories as autonomous territories.

I vote in favour of Mr. Owing's proposal as to the trial of citizens by their peers, and other such basic judicial rights.

I vote in favour of Mr. Reed's proposal that the languages of the Republic shall be English and Spanish.

I vote in favour of Mr. Kingston's proposal regarding the abolition of slavery.

I also motion to organise all lands east of the Sierra Nevada and north of the Colorado River (and north of the 36 parallel between these two features) as a territory of California, and that this territory be granted autonomy until it is fully integrated into the rest of the nation through the means of infrastructure, similar to Mr. Menzies proposal for the Eastern Territories.