• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is no bug people. You cannot create large commercial districts without having the proper population. Look at my screenshots, I have a population of 20k and my demand for commercial is pretty high(50%?). Could I build a large commercial downtown if I wanted? Yes, but there needs to be the proper ratio of offices, commercial and industrial parks, along with residents to fill those jobs.

Zones
537215046E146D199066DD3866DA3E4DF1AD6449

Parks
CC35434908A3A8DFF11BC8206F0F006FFC9E0D7F

Traffic
459FD1692DE15F5D85777ECEC531B684362B1E13

Downtown/Commercial demand
0580279F47092DBDF3EBE3733845E38451AF6737

My computer isn't the best for visuals in this game because it's not really a gaming computer, but this proves that there's no bug. People need to learn to balance demands and not build a huge METROPOLIS right off the bat. Do you really think you're going to have huge skyscrapers, a bustling downtown and large commercial demand with a population of less than 50k? Expand slower and create low density for smaller houses and high density for your downtowns, but don't try and build a metropolis with only 6k population lol. You people are way too demanding of a company. CO/Paradox have created an amazing game that they'll be developing/evolving as time goes on, but don't demand a fix when you don't know how to build a city.

Since I play city builder since the ever first SimCity, I think I know how to build a city. And it's totally unlogically that parks kill off commercial demand. I can build a full city without any store. Don't get me wrong, I don't need skyscrapers for commercial while I have some 10k citizens. On the oher hand, while I see your Downtown, you have offices and not commercial area signed. Offices are handled like industry! So don't call me that I don't know how the game works, dude!

Workaround:

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2yytum/commercial_demand_bug_workaround/

Create your own Parks in the Asset Editor. There will be an Option for Tourists which you can set to 0.

I would love if somebody would do this with all of the default parks then uploaded them to the workshop so that all of us can download quickly'

Edit: I went ahead and did this with all default parks. Here is the collection on Steam http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408060029. It will simply add an exact copy of each park, except they will be labeled "Park Name - No Tourists" Simply replace your currently existing parks with these ones. If you want parks that do generate tourists, those ones have not been deleted or modified. I was not able to add any of the preorder-bonus parks because CO has not made them available to mod.

Last edited:
Stopped playing until this is resolved. Building an all residential city without any need for commercial lots just isn't fun. :(

/edit: Thank you very much, poster above me! Subscribed to your collection for now. <3

Last edited:
Ok, this is clearly a bug but the community temporarily solved it. Thanks to the OP and the guyz who found the problem and offered the bypass. I destroyed parks and replaced them with mine (with no tourists) and now i can't cope with the huge commercial demand !

I hope we'll soon have a patch to fix the bugs and a "seasons and day/night" dlc

thx all

Since I play city builder since the ever first SimCity, I think I know how to build a city. And it's totally unlogically that parks kill off commercial demand. I can build a full city without any store. Don't get me wrong, I don't need skyscrapers for commercial while I have some 10k citizens. On the oher hand, while I see your Downtown, you have offices and not commercial area signed. Offices are handled like industry! So don't call me that I don't know how the game works, dude!
Look at the top picture, there's clearly built up commercial zones.

Where is this acknowledgement?

I think BuckyDee is talking about this post?

That post is about the modding API not being able to adjust commercial and industrial demand separately from the residential demand, not anything to do with whether this is a bug or a feature or needs investigated for balance.

Moo acknowledged it on reddit.

His post worries me "Hmm this is new to me" 12 hours ago. Does that mean they've taken their eyes off this forum over the weekend? Cos this post has been near the top of this first page for some time, and there is that other thread full of potentially feasible suggestions about the Cims who can't get to work that might have been food for thought for them.

His post worries me "Hmm this is new to me" 12 hours ago. Does that mean they've taken their eyes off this forum over the weekend? Cos this post has been near the top of this first page for some time, and there is that other thread full of potentially feasible suggestions about the Cims who can't get to work that might have been food for thought for them.

My thought is they're still resting from all the craziness. Mariina mentioned on the livestream that they'd be taking a few day's break. They've been working nonstop, so they deserve it.

My thought is they're still resting from all the craziness. Mariina mentioned on the livestream that they'd be taking a few day's break. They've been working nonstop, so they deserve it.

Yes but Moo is reading Reddit over the weekend, that's how he saw this problem. But we've had a thread for it *here* since Wednesday and it's been on the first page all this time. Do we have to post on Reddit to get problems noticed?

Also it seems to me that threads in the suggestions and feedback subforum never get commented on by devs or publishers at all compared with threads in this section and on Reddit. So I hope that subforum isn't going to fill the role of elephant's graveyard.

I have seen devs posting in the forum this weekend, latest was CO_damsku this morning.

Yes but Moo is reading Reddit over the weekend, that's how he saw this problem. But we've had a thread for it *here* since Wednesday and it's been on the first page all this time. Do we have to post on Reddit to get problems noticed?

Also it seems to me that threads in the suggestions and feedback subforum never get commented on by devs or publishers at all compared with threads in this section and on Reddit. So I hope that subforum isn't going to fill the role of elephant's graveyard.

Moo reads Reddit more. Let's be honest - there's 41K people subscribed to that subreddit - a lot more than here. Reddit allows sorting by popularity (which has it's pro's and cons). The game is even a Reddit phenomenon - I would venture to say a significant number of the 250K sales were due to exposure on Reddit. It looks like it's been a great way to expand the game beyond Paradox's more hardcore base.

Moo reads Reddit more. Let's be honest - there's 41K people subscribed to that subreddit - a lot more than here. Reddit allows sorting by popularity (which has it's pro's and cons). The game is even a Reddit phenomenon - I would venture to say a significant number of the 250K sales were due to exposure on Reddit. It looks like it's been a great way to expand the game beyond Paradox's more hardcore base.

Well that's fine. It answers my question "do we have to post on Reddit to get problems noticed?" - the answer therefore is "That's probably a better place to post if you want to have your problem noticed sooner". Fine by me :)

the problem is, only here in this board, one person can read 24/7 - there are so much postings.
don't know how much on reddit, but i think its very difficult to group problems, make priority lists etc.
so much input from the community - some are important for all, some only for a few or are minor things.

the problem is, only here in this board, one person can read 24/7 - there are so much postings.
don't know how much on reddit, but i think its very difficult to group problems, make priority lists etc.
so much input from the community - some are important for all, some only for a few or are minor things.

Oh I agree. Each platform has its pluses and minuses. I use both.