• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great detective work, Mithkabob! :excl: So if I'm reading this correctly the game is treating each park's "visitor spaces" the same as a store in a commercial zone. How does does the game determine the visitor space capacity of a given park? How many visitor spaces does a typical commercial store have? My commercial demand plummeted to zero when I added my first park. I only add enough parks to bump the land value a bit but my commercial demand has remained zero ever since I added the first park.

In any case, this sure seems like a bug to me -- a park cannot replace a store, people still need to buy food! It feels like I'm missing out on one-third of the game because I can't build any stores (unless I choose to destroy my parks, but that will kill the land value). :( It seems to me that parks should not affect commercial demand at all -- commercial is for shopping, parks are for leisure time.

EDIT:
Has anyone seen any comments from a developer or QA person on this issue? I've seen multiple threads about it but no official comments yet from CO.

Last edited:
Great detective work, Mithkabob! :excl: So if I'm reading this correctly the game is treating each park's "visitor spaces" the same as a store in a commercial zone. How does does the game determine the visitor space capacity of a given park? How many visitor spaces does a typical commercial store have? My commercial demand plummeted to zero when I added my first park. I only add enough parks to bump the land value a bit but my commercial demand has remained zero even since then.

In any case, this sure seems like a bug to me -- a park cannot replace a store, people still need to buy food! It feels like I'm missing out on one-third of the game because I can't build any stores (unless I choose to destroy my parks, but that will kill the land value). :( It seems to me that parks should not affect commercial demand at all -- commercial is for shopping, parks are for leisure time.

+1 from me. I don't like this at all. If it's a bug, it needs squashing, and if it's intentional, it needs to change. I want to be able to have some nice neighborhoods with high value homes, but doing so wipes out 1/3 of the game because commercial demand drops to zero and stays there even after I add 10,000 new residents.

I'm quite sure it's a bug, i mean, if anything, parks should have a positive effect in commercial, not negative!
Thats the most game-breaking bug yet.
Can some modder pleease fix this while there's no official fix? It seems CO is taking a break or something, because i haven't seen a post from them in quite a while...

They're enjoying the chocolate fountain for now, and they've earned it.

In the meantime, parks compete with commercial. Now if we could just figure out how many of these visitor spaces each park has, then we could choose parks that offer land value while having the fewest visitor spaces.

Is there any way to view the low-level details of each park in the game to see this info?

I stopped playing until this issue gets fixed, if I remove all parks in my city people start to abandon high value residental areas.

It's sad to see more and more topics with indications of the simulation being not just a little wierd but to be honest quite messed up. I still believe that this is a fantastic game and I will probably play it for a quite long time but it's a little surprising to me that wierd behaviors like this have made it to the final release version of the game. Hopefully we will see som changes in the next patches. :)

I wish they patched it out before weekend. It's in my opinion gamebreaking no matter if it is a bug or intentional. While I want to have a pretty Downtown area with offices and commercial, but not allowed to build parks, my city is very...flat...no residential highrises. Only small houses and a few apartments...
Hope they will fix it soon. A official statement would be nice for the beginning and to know, they recognized it.

Call me lazy but can anyone wrote a summary about that problem? At the Cities skylines-wiki maybe? I whould be perfect because I think huge of people got that problem.

The fact that parks Visitor Space are taken into consideration when calculating the number of available visitor spaces seems more "unintentional" than "weird design choice", for me. In other words, I think it is an actual bug.

It's tourists...

I tried an experiement with some parks I created. I have some small parks, some of which are only 1 square inside - like the ones that we used to have in the original SimCity and were great for putting along roads. I use them when I have a butting road in the back of houses, but there's that tiny strip where nothing will build on. Anyway, I toyed with the parameters on them. There is a setting in there for tourists, and which income level are attracted to the park. I brought the numbers down to zero and replaced my small parks in an area. Almost instantly, the commercial demand went up.

It maybe not the answer you're looking for, but at least it's working around. Create some simple parks, using the asset editor, change the parameters so that no tourists go there, and you'll have parks and commercial demand.

Hope this helps. Maybe at some point the developers can weigh in on this. I'm sure they're taking a badly needed break after the release.

John

Commercial zone won't build because there are parks or special buildings, it makes no sense...

It doesn't but it does...

If the tourists, who like to spend a lot of money don't visit commercial spaces because they're visiting the parks instead, there is no increased demand in commerce. Initially we've met the demand for our residents, which can only spend so much money. By building attractions for the tourists, they will come in and spend their money, thus, increasing commercial demand.

I'm not saying this aspect isn't broken though. The influence on the parks shouldn't be so much as to take all the tourists completely away from commerce. Hopefully, as I said the developers will weigh in on this, perhaps there's a balance issue that needs to be worked out.

John

It doesn't but it does...

If the tourists, who like to spend a lot of money don't visit commercial spaces because they're visiting the parks instead, there is no increased demand in commerce. Initially we've met the demand for our residents, which can only spend so much money. By building attractions for the tourists, they will come in and spend their money, thus, increasing commercial demand.

I'm not saying this aspect isn't broken though. The influence on the parks shouldn't be so much as to take all the tourists completely away from commerce. Hopefully, as I said the developers will weigh in on this, perhaps there's a balance issue that needs to be worked out.

John

It's not that simple. If the previous comment is correct, Cims are scared to go shopping because there are tourists congregating in parks. :unsure:

Sorry, but this doesn't make no sense whatsoever.

First, you say that tourists will not spend money at stores cause they are at parks (which makes no sense per se), and then you say that we should build attractions for tourists. According to your logic, wouldn't they spend even more time away from stores when visiting parks and attractions?

I'm not even talking about the fact that tourist numbers in CSL are usually really low. They shouldn't affect commercial demand that much.

Sorry, but this doesn't make no sense whatsoever.

First, you say that tourists will not spend money at stores cause they are at parks (which makes no sense per se), and then you say that we should build attractions for tourists. According to your logic, wouldn't they spend even more time away from stores when visiting parks and attractions?

I'm not even talking about the fact that tourist numbers in CSL are usually really low. They shouldn't affect commercial demand that much.

I know it doesn't make sense, but this is what's happening. The parks I created have no attraction to tourists. As soon as I removed a bunch of my original parks, geeze I place a gazillion on them, and replaced them with the modified assets, my commerical growth went through the roof.

We do need attractions such as the opera house and science center, but perhaps all of the other parks were taking the tourists away from these attractions which probably bring in revenue because the people are paying an admission fee. I don't know as I am not a developer and only another user like you trying to get stuff to work, which happens to be going quite well now for me.

Try it; make a park and modify the parameters so that no tourists go there and see what happens.

John