• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the theory that commercials leveling up causes this is correct. I haven't had to zone commercial for ages. Just kept growing slowly, and now occasionally a new one shows up. It starts leveling up immediately (due to good services and land value) and instantly drains the demand.
If you want large commercial districts, I think you have to just grow really big, or get a large amount of tourists.

I'll go along with this too, My commercial need is starting to grow again and I will add a few small places here and there rather than zone large blocks, as I set up small corner stores for example, instead of full downtowns. I also have tried setting up commercial areas where you'd expect them like next to the train stations and at the edges rather than all clustered in one spot.

guys we allready all tested that its parks creating negative demnad, there is no point in derailing this, it just makes it harder for devs to see the issue

Just tested this out, I was using quite a bit of smaller parks from the workshop as well as some plopable monuments. After I demolished my parks commercial demand went from "no demand" and increased dramatically, quickly developing commercial zones I had laid out at around 20k pop (at 50k now).

Since this issue doesn't seem to be affecting everyone I wonder if there is a specific asset that is causing this bug.

Just tested this out, I was using quite a bit of smaller parks from the workshop as well as some plopable monuments. After I demolished my parks commercial demand went from "no demand" and increased dramatically, quickly developing commercial zones I had laid out at around 20k pop (at 50k now).

Since this issue doesn't seem to be affecting everyone I wonder if there is a specific asset that is causing this bug.

I'm wondering if it's some of the special parks? I tend to use the Paradox Plaza and Bouncy Castle fairly liberally. It also could be that some of us just build more parks in general.

Well, since the game is broken tonight I may try making a slum city where I don't build any parks or education. Should be interesting.

I'm wondering if it's some of the special parks? I tend to use the Paradox Plaza and Bouncy Castle fairly liberally. It also could be that some of us just build more parks in general.

Well, since the game is broken tonight I may try making a slum city where I don't build any parks or education. Should be interesting.

Interesting because I use some parks I made, which I haven't distributed. These are things like 1 x 1 squares like we used to have in the old SimCity to put down median strips between wide avenues, etc. These too seem to affect the demand.

This could be a bug of sorts, now that I'm watching the reaction to the parks. It could be that the need value for higher-end stores isn't low enough as we upgrade the property values with parks compared to that for the lower value property. This means we would need to build a gazillion high-end houses before we see a tiny bit of growth in commercial, which is what I think we're seeing now.

John

Interesting because I use some parks I made, which I haven't distributed. These are things like 1 x 1 squares like we used to have in the old SimCity to put down median strips between wide avenues, etc. These too seem to affect the demand.

This could be a bug of sorts, now that I'm watching the reaction to the parks. It could be that the need value for higher-end stores isn't low enough as we upgrade the property values with parks compared to that for the lower value property. This means we would need to build a gazillion high-end houses before we see a tiny bit of growth in commercial, which is what I think we're seeing now.

John

I think you might be right. I reloaded my save and took a screenshot of my land values before I demolished all my parks.

255710_screenshots_2015-03-12_00019.jpg

To see if it was a certain asset causing the bug, I demolished each type of park separately, starting with the smaller parks I had downloaded from the workshop. I let the game run for a while to see if there was any difference on commercial demand. I noticed no demand with any of the workshop assets. After demolishing all my parks there still wasn't a dramatic increase until land values plummeted, high level residential buildings were abandoned, and lower level residential buildings replaced them. After the land value plummeted and lower level residential buildings came in I saw my commercial demand increase. To see if further increase demand I demolished all my unique buildings which increased demand further. You can see my commercial demand with my dramatically lowered land values.

255710_screenshots_2015-03-12_00018.jpg

So it might not be leisure lowering the demand itself but having too many high level residential that is decreasing commercial demand.

Last edited:
Is there any workaround? I wonder how the big cities are build. Arer there just no parks or commercial areas? =/ My citizens become mad while they have no parks. And if I build parks, my commercial demamd sink like a stone...

So it might not be leisure lowering the demand itself but having too many high level residential that is decreasing commercial demand.

Shouldn't it be the other way round? Wealthy residents want to buy more things (and can afford them).

As far as I remember in SimCity2000 the commercial demand was sky-rocketing when having big cities and arcologies, while industry wasn't so important anymore.

Can confirm parks cause suppression on commercial demand.

Got a city with 100k population and very low commercial demand. Decided to delete a load of parks and my commercial demand is now about 50%.

Is this by design or a bug?

It is parks for sure; I deleted mine, and the jump in commercial demand was instant. But is it a bug or just a balancing issue? Peeps can't shop when they're in the park, and maybe when you take parks away they need shopping therapy ;) I get some C demand with a single park, but give the cims two and they forget all about shopping.

My problem is the opposite, I seem to have a never ending demand for commercial zones, but I'm hesitant to zone as much as the game demands me to as I'm almost at a 1:2 ratio to residential zones and with only a 5 % unemployment rate. Further more, I'm lacking in low skill labour force, even though I'm trying to keep my education levels down by not building enough schools, so I'm not sure if there would be any people able to work at all the commercial areas the game wants me to build.

Just to jump in but, I found the issue was when I had no commerical zoned mixed in my residential zones.

I had no commercial demand until I added a bus line which went through my residential area and stopped in my commerical district. Then the demand went through the roof

Apparently If you have high unemployment ( you can check on the population tab ), Then you no longer get demand for Residential. although it seems that After i built so many parks I have no demand for commence at all :(