• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

norian

Major
31 Badges
Apr 10, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Added this to the Unofficial "Ideabox" that was posted on Reddit, but wanted to add here as well.

Simple idea, at least to me. Have a University system where you can add dorms, admin buildings, walkways, quads, etc like the current park system. Add a list certain University related polices you can also create specially a University district. I would like to see an area of my city with named The University of "Somethingisness". Just a thought. :)

Reactions:
Upvote 0
A university district! Brilliant! All types of classrooms, offices, labs, common areas, dorms, recreation, stadiums, etc. Would be a great area for young sims to live. Should be able to create a mascot also!

This is probably one of my biggest wishes! Probably one of the only things that SimCity 2013 did right was allow for modular universities, and I never really liked the whole modular building thing, but it works particularly well for universities and colleges. I'd love to make classrooms, different departmental buildings, dorms, cafeterias, etc.

Yeah +1

Cities are massively influenced by a big university. I live in Nijmegen where the whole city is breathing university life (about 10% of inhabitants is student or student related). It even affects local politics (they can all vote!). I always thought the universities in citybuilders were an underdeveloped concept. It should be a concious and impactfull decision to start an university in your city. Also they're massive huge! Ours is combined with the hospital and they take up about 15% of the 170k city-area. They should also have unlimited range in a city for happiness and education. They also provide a lot of work.

It would be a nice DLC to add something like this because I imagine this is not something to be added as an afterthought.

I also liked the system with modular building in sim city and i feel like this should be added in some way. Not for all buildings but for some. The budget slider for hospital, fire department etc. works well I guess.
But for schools or universities it would be cool if you could add more classroom modules or, as already mentioned in the posts above, dorm rooms, labs or whatever. This could give your city such a nice flair.

+1

indeed, that would be a nice addition! Nice examples of University districts in the Netherlands would be indeed Nijmegen (Radboud), Utrecht (the Uithof) or Delft (TU).

It got me thinking they can use district zoning for it. You can apparantly zone specific oil- and or agriculture industrial zones by using local zoning laws. How about using that to zone an university district? Set up a zone/district and the game processes the following:
- Offices turn in to educational buildins (for teaching lawyers/judges, politicians, teachers/proffessors, journalists, historians etc.)
- Commercial turns into medical education like hospitals and other stuff like that (with the health benefits! In real life an university hospital is usually where the best of the best medical facilities are!)
- Industrial are where technical people are thaught, mathematicians, engineers, scientists, they'll produce like little hadron colliders, lasers and stargazing facilities and such.
- Residential is where dorms are situated and so they form different housing buildings from usual.

I don't know if this is possible but it would be pretty sweet!

Reactions:
Definitely want this to be something they add in the future. Universities are huge economic engines for their cities and economies, not to mention their ability to attract out of area young adults who are more likely to stay after graduation.

I'd love the ability to specialize a University around certain studies that provide benefits to the city. Example; having a School of Engineering provides discounts on road and building costs.

@Sloeberjong: I think the better way to make it work is:
a. Offices turns into educational specific buildings such as a campus hall, library, etc.
b. Commercial turns into small shops (that sells books), cafes, etc.
c. Industrial turns into laboratories for science, economics, etc.
d. Residential is the dorms

Reactions:
Totallymoo says that"5€ DLC is coming...for universities"
My reaction: TAKE MY MONEY!

It got me thinking they can use district zoning for it. You can apparantly zone specific oil- and or agriculture industrial zones by using local zoning laws. How about using that to zone an university district? Set up a zone/district and the game processes the following:
- Offices turn in to educational buildins (for teaching lawyers/judges, politicians, teachers/proffessors, journalists, historians etc.)
- Commercial turns into medical education like hospitals and other stuff like that (with the health benefits! In real life an university hospital is usually where the best of the best medical facilities are!)
- Industrial are where technical people are thaught, mathematicians, engineers, scientists, they'll produce like little hadron colliders, lasers and stargazing facilities and such.
- Residential is where dorms are situated and so they form different housing buildings from usual.

I don't know if this is possible but it would be pretty sweet!

This sounds really awesome!