Patch 1.11 - Dynamic Random Nations teaser

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do custom nation work with dynamic province names? I think I remember playing around with custom nations and I made a French nation (using Occitain culture) in Syria but the names didn't change.

Yes, for players.

Is it that impossible to have a checkbox during nation design to dictate this? You can create 32 nations - one of the most fun things is changing the world as a whole. If I have shattered Iberia, I might want to see if someone gets to forming Spain - even while I'm playing in northern Germany.

Will there be an option for Random Nations also to randomize the trade routes? so instead of say Venice being downstream from Ragusa, then Ragusa can end up being downstream from Venice.

This would help making certain spots less obvious 'I win Trade' spots, as a map could roll out with Lhasa being the only note that have nothing downstream from it, ending up with Tibet being one of the most important places to hold if you want to win the trade game.

Please make custom nations able to form union tags again but without switching ideas. If Castille can form Spain then why custom-made Leon shouldn't be able to do this?

I would like it, if costum nations would be able to become a cultural union without tag-switch. Let´s say if it owns 75% of the non-colonial provinces of that culture group.

If you play EU IV for history I have bad news for you - it barely represents history, especially after several hundred years of gameplay where the AI messes everything up. The game is way too abstract to properly represent history, so I'm not sure what your point is.

FYI, majority of the players seem to be enjoying the Custom Nation feature, it adds a lot of replayability to the game. Most players have already enjoyed hundreds of hours of "historical" gameplay, it's nice to have something new.

i'm not one of the player who plays EU4 for history, actually more ahistorical are my game, more i fell i accomplished something.
My sentence was not about me, but about all those players which use always historical reason to justify everything in the game

eidt: by the way, if i want to play a random world with random countries, i will play CIV series (which i like a lot)

For a full list of everything that was fixed you'll have to wait until 1.11 patchnotes are posted. The feature additions to ND are:

- Added option to add Custom Nations after loading Save Game.
- Added button for randomizing National Ideas.
- You can now change names and descriptions of your Custom National Ideas.
- Added economic map mode to lobby, useful primarily for Custom Nations.

Still missing the most important one for me, the ability to change the color of the emblem on my flag/coat-of-arms.

Will there also be clearer indicator for when the achievements are enabled? I currently have no idea if random or flat base taxes disable achievements or not...

Sorry for being so annoying, are you aware of this bug involving Protestant Custom Nation unable to become the Emperor after winning league wars?

EDIT: Sorry, i was playing a dutch republic.

Last edited:
Do National Ideas of Random Nations are entirely random? I mean, if it country consist of 3 islands it still have the same chance of getting trade efficiency and naval force limits like one with 3 mountain trade power poor provinces land-locked minor? Do some national ideas have higher chance of appearing together (just do some simple statistical analysis on already existing NI sets)?

I'm still very seriously interested (even if it's a firm no) on whether or not a custom nation starting in Tangiers, and another in Andalucía, can be made by game mode to have identical starting tech, without one being put at a 40 point disadvantage in order to reach parity. Will there be an option to turn off tech groups like turning off the HRE? Will there be a way to make everything considered Europe for CN tech? Or will a world where every nation is an equal-point-value custom nation still mandate that those in Europe are better, and starting elsewhere is only going to have local parity.

If the answer is no, that's fine, I'll just post this in suggestions and move along to bothering you about adjusting base tax and adding important center of norse religion and the like. Likewise if it's on the table just not for 1.11 yet.

For a full list of everything that was fixed you'll have to wait until 1.11 patchnotes are posted. The feature additions to ND are:

- Added option to add Custom Nations after loading Save Game.
- Added button for randomizing National Ideas.
- You can now change names and descriptions of your Custom National Ideas.
- Added economic map mode to lobby, useful primarily for Custom Nations.

Do you think there will ever be an option to save game states? Say you set up 10 custom nations throughout the world and want to play in that world a few different times. Right now you'd have to re make the custom nations again and again.

Looks fantastic! Thanks Wiz & the EU team!

Do you think there will ever be an option to save game states? Say you set up 10 custom nations throughout the world and want to play in that world a few different times. Right now you'd have to re make the custom nations again and again.
That's what the ability to add custom nations upon loading a save gives you. Make a world, save your game on day 1, then you can keep that save and use it to generate more games. Just don't Ironman...

Looks fantastic! Thanks Wiz & the EU team!

That's what the ability to add custom nations upon loading a save gives you. Make a world, save your game on day 1, then you can keep that save and use it to generate more games. Just don't Ironman...

Yeah that's true. I'd love to be able to use Ironman too but at least this way saves hours of remaking!