• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just experimented with some custom shields:
QieWYxL.jpg

R8bvXWU.jpg

These needed some extra shader configuration. (the original shield 'always faces you' logic was only added to the old 'xac' model shaders)

Will add this to the example mod files, which you can get in the second post of this topic.

Last edited:
Just experimented with some custom shields:
QieWYxL.jpg

R8bvXWU.jpg

These needed some extra shader configuration. (the original shield 'always faces you' logic was only added to the old 'xac' model shaders)

Will add this to the example mod files, which you can get in the second post of this topic.

I love you. Now I just need to figure out a bit of 3D stuffs. Are you any good with Blender at all? Having trouble exporting the texture with a collada file.

Edit:

And do you know why it looks like this?

Last edited:
Just looks to me like you need to map UVs to fill the 0.0 - 1.0 square in the first UV set.

This is how it should look in Maya, but with your shield shape, not a square:

UVW Flag.PNG

I love you. Now I just need to figure out a bit of 3D stuffs. Are you any good with Blender at all? Having trouble exporting the texture with a collada file.

Edit:

And do you know why it looks like this?

Ah hmm not exactly sure, but have an inkling. I think you are either missing a UV-mapping or have one mixed up.

To get technical: The mesh (object) that you want to have the flag printed on should have 2 UV-mapping sets.

One set (the first) is the UV for the flag. The flag UV is a regular one where 0,0 is the top left of the flag and 1,1 the bottom right.
The second UV set is the UV for the texture assigned to the mesh (in the tool). The result of this UV-mapping & texture is blended into the flag. This way you can get 'flag creases' and other effects. You can have a white texture configured to just get the unadulterated flag.

Also be sure to use the /gfx/FX/pdxmesh.lua file from my CK2 mod example in your project. (I assume you are working from that example mod? I have updated it yesterday so be sure to get the 1.1 version)

If you look at my example 'shield', the center square is a separate object with two UVs, both of which are mapped 0,0 to 1,1.
The 'sources' dir has the .blend for this if you want to inspect it.

Just looks to me like you need to map UVs to fill the 0.0 - 1.0 square in the first UV set.

This is how it should look in Maya, but with your shield shape, not a square:

UVW Flag.PNG

Oh aye indeed people should not use exactly 0;0 and 1;1. :)

For best effect, use 0,05;0,05 to 0,95;0,95 UV values as SaintDaveUK says - otherwise the colors of the flag next to the current flag might bleed into this one at the edges.

Thanks you two, it's still hard, as a complete newbie with 3D this whole thing is so arcane to me, where do I go to set this UV map to these coordinates? I can't find any UV mapping related window that gives me coordinates to set it to. The handy example you provided has two UV maps shown under the Data window to the right, but clicking them gives me nothing. It's like I'm missing some red thread somewhere to make sense of it all and all tutorials I find are about completely 3D objects getting mapped and doesn't seem to want to tell me how to make this desired square and save it properly.

I vaguely understand these UV maps and how they work and their job each, I've retextured things before and I've played a lot with height maps, bump maps and normal maps for map modding these games so it's mostly UI navigation trouble I'm having I think.

My question is can you use it for just one religion/culture or does it replace all the shields?

You can specify it down to the religions specific rank, like Paradox themselves have done, why would it be any different here? You specify them inside the interface folder, even now you can swap indian count shield for the european king shield.

Edit: Making a lot of progress, I've 2 UV maps now and while I still can't figure out much from the example all I need now I think is to draw that damned box but I can't find out how to make 4 vertices in the UV mapping field to place in the corners.

Last edited:
Edit: Making a lot of progress, I've 2 UV maps now and while I still can't figure out much from the example all I need now I think is to draw that damned box but I can't find out how to make 4 vertices in the UV mapping field to place in the corners.

My image is only a square shape because that is the shape of the flag mesh I was making.

Yours shouldn't look like a box, it should just look like the front view of your shield, just the size and width should be similar to my box.

My image is only a square shape because that is the shape of the flag mesh I was making.

Yours shouldn't look like a box, it should just look like the front view of your shield, just the size and width should be similar to my box.

:D

Now I just need to get rid of the exaggerated reflection and get the export to pop out the texture and normal maps and I've done it <3

Now I just need to get rid of the exaggerated reflection and get the export to pop out the texture and normal maps and I've done it <3

Looking goood! :D Blender is indeed a bit of a bleep UI wise, seemingly ignoring most common UI logic I know of. (not an 3D modelling expert either, just know how to connect the dots on the programming side)

I think the shinyness/reflection can be reduced by using the 'nospec.dds' for the specular texture, and a better normal map probably also helps.

It's already a lot better. Great work! :)

Thanks you two :) Having been my first 3d model I decided I could do a tiny bit better and set out to do it, I feel I did everything the same, but this time it refuses to show ingame despite showing fine in JoroDox, I tried resizing it ingame but it's quite simple invisible for some reason. Could you help me out Joror?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sq2yln0h5e87gh/Shield.blend?dl=0

Tried your model, and it is all good, except for one thing - it was facing the wrong way! :eek:

You had the shield facing 'away' from the front (in blender, it should be facing in the direction of the green arrow) - and since your model only has front-facing triangles, you see nothing when looking at the back. :p

UymCGww.jpg

Hey guys! First of all, AMAZING WORK! You are now my favourite of the PDX modding community. Also, quick question (I'm not going to get a chance to play around with it atm, but I'm quite good at 3D modelling), can we get custom towns and cities based on culture in ck2?

Hey guys! First of all, AMAZING WORK! You are now my favourite of the PDX modding community. Also, quick question (I'm not going to get a chance to play around with it atm, but I'm quite good at 3D modelling), can we get custom towns and cities based on culture in ck2?

I believe that would be possible. There's a mod that re-textures the existing city models based on culture, so it should work.