“El Dorado” Expansion for Europa Universalis IV Lets You Go For Gold

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is bizarre is you saying their complaints are 'bizarre' because they have more validity than your vapid sugar response that 'the kids will do the right thing'. What states/tribes/etc are you referring to that don't exist? Explain instead of making broad assumptions. I doubt you have much to stand on.

Montferrat, Lucca, Saluzzo, Vaudois, Savona, Padua, Rimini, Bologna, Ravenna, Trento, Gorizia, Graubunden. May I move out of Italy and environs, now? I think I can find four times these in Germany alone.

I don't think you received from my post the idea I was attempting to communicate. I am not arguing "the kids will do the right thing" because there is no "right" in this. Rather, a player who likes historical starts could use this feature to make a start that is still sufficiently historical in that player's eyes.
Do we know for sure that you will be able to edit an existing country, or is this an assumption? Serious question, not sarcasm. I had to cut out of the stream early.

I don't care what anyone else does, and neither should you. The only thing that should matter to each player is how they intend to interact with a given feature or change. Presumably, a historiphile would not use this feature to create a fantasty start that they find distasteful. This is obvious.
I would go a step farther and say, be concerned with how you like to play the game, but respect the fact that others will enjoy the game differently. We had a 3 page thread at the end of last week talking about how different people enjoy the game (although it didn't start that way) and it was rather interesting to see the different things people enjoy/don't enjoy and why they pick the starts they do. While I don't agree with everyone's reasons, I certainly feel I should respect the fact that they enjoy the game a different way than I do.

So, I imagine there will be about fives DDs:
1) Meso-South America Religion mechanic (If what I read here is correct then it would be Nahuatl for one group and Mayan religion for the other group of Meso America while those in South America get Inti, I think these will be enough for a DD)
2) Enhance Exploration (Conquistador/Explorer Mission and Papacy determine 'pocket of the world' to colonize)
3) New Naval Mechanic (Gold Fleet+Pirates, could be joined with number 2 in term of DDs)
4) Nation Creation (Hopefully along with something else to surprise us)
5) Patch Features

Normally they have 10 DDs for DLC, but I remember CoP is pretty dreadful in term of DDs due to a lot of of elements being stretched to several DDs...

Last edited:
Do we know for sure that you will be able to edit an existing country, or is this an assumption? Serious question, not sarcasm. I had to cut out of the stream early.
Wiz confirmed a few pages ago that you don't have to create a new country on uncolonized land. So, if you plop your "new" country entirely on top of an existing one, then you're basically "editing" it by recreating it entirely. If some vestiges of the previous country still exist, you could just conquer it really fast (perhaps by tag-switching; achievements are already out, after all).

There could be some limitations, like if you can't put it on top of an existing country's capital, I guess. In which case you'll be in a weird situation where you have to quickly move your capital after conquering it, and you wouldn't be able to recreate a OPM I suppose.

I would go a step farther and say, be concerned with how you like to play the game, but respect the fact that others will enjoy the game differently. We had a 3 page thread at the end of last week talking about how different people enjoy the game (although it didn't start that way) and it was rather interesting to see the different things people enjoy/don't enjoy and why they pick the starts they do. While I don't agree with everyone's reasons, I certainly feel I should respect the fact that they enjoy the game a different way than I do.
Agreed!

i th
Deterministic Crowd = People who want to play the game how they want instead of what actually happened in history. I.E. we want to DETERMINE our own path.

Historical Crowd = People who want the game to mirror history as it happened with little if any chance of anything ahistorical happening.
I think that's really reducting the players preferences. There are a LOT of players in the "grey area" of the "black" and "white" you described.

I am mostly hyped with the idea of the news unit packs they will release alongue with it! Surely wonderfull mesoamerican guys, eh?
tumblr_inline_mj5iswnBui1qz4rgp.gif

Also, one of the examples I cited (Aq Q) happened in the exact same timeframe (early game) as crap like Iberian wedding.

I admit to not knowing the particulars, but if it would make a good DHE, it would be great to have in the game.

The moment someone tries to defend the inheritance or Iberian wedding with "balance" or "history" or "plausibility" then turns around and hand-waves MORE probable things not happening (or similarly improbable in Aq Q's case), the person attempting said argument has taken a pressure washer and blasted an inch wide hole in their foot.

IMO there's nothing inconsistent with saying that some railroading is good, but you can have too much. You are of course correct that the game is very partial to who gets DHEs, but that's not very surprising (e.g. those that sell). I see it more as a bug to be fixed, with more nations needing DHEs. Still, there's probably a limit to how many high impact events you can have without the whole thing feeling like a setup.

when can we get a dlc about east asia?I really want to see a more historic china...
My optimism side think it will be the next DLC...
This one return to America because half playable nation of the continent still barren from any unique mechanic and they've teased DLC for these nations for quite sometimes now...

But my pessimist side thing another factor here: what is something related to Asia that would allow for new mechanic for the European? Because let's be honest all DLCs have always been about "Europe+Somewhere Else"...
Trade Company has passed by so I think the opportunity has gone away...

But then again they are revising the colonizing mechanic once again (technically the last revise were for Colonial Nation and not colonize mechanic itself while it seems the current DLC is about the mechanic itself) so possibly they will revisit TC again for an Asian DLC...
Also, they are crazy to miss Asia market if they have no future DLC for this particular region...

Though, is it me or this is their "phase 2"?
CoP = America
WoN = Asia (In a sense that the only non-european unique mechanic is Hinduism and India get a lot of events in the DLC)
AoW = Africa (In a sense if you want DHE in west africa, you need to own AoW)

Now, they return to America with El Dorado, though of course different part of America (previously North, now Meso-South)...
So, if my line of thinking is correct, China (or Far East, hopefully will include Southeast Asia as well) DLC is the next one...

Last edited:
I wonder if they are planning some love for England/UK IA in a future patch... their stupidity most times makes the game "empty". I have never seen a Great Britain owning the world like they did.

February Add-on Adds On New Events and Tools

The centerpiece of El Dorado is the Nation Designer, a tool that let’s you customize your starting nation in a campaign. Choose your starting capital and neighboring provinces, modify your starting culture and leader and then lead this new nation to new and original heights of glory. The infinite replayability of EU4 has just gotten even more infinite, if that’s possible (the company mathematician is still on holiday).
I am waiting for THIS feature soooo long. Thank you very much! I hope that it is comparable to the Hearts of Iron custom game mode. This was so fantastic. I just imagine the same "point" system as in HoI3 for each idea of your national Ideas. It gives you so much possibilities for many countries. For example with castille/spain: If I would really like to focus on the colonization and trading game, why wouldn't I change the +1 Prestige for another colonist, oder 10% trade efficiency. Or the military Ideas with +5% morale and +5 % discipline which could be changed +25% colonization range or +33% trade steering or +10% trade income modifier etc.

I have to honestly admit that this looks perfect (depending on how it would be executed in the DLC). But also for other countries it may come handy. It really alters each game how it would be played. And as one said, if you don't like it, don't buy the expansion or don't use it.

The other changes are also great, my second favorite is the treaty option with the pope, i'm really curious how this will look like in the game!

For me as a Trade/Colony loving player this is another great DLC (at least from the idea of the DLC)

I wonder if they are planning some love for England/UK IA in a future patch... their stupidity most times makes the game "empty". I have never seen a Great Britain owning the world like they did.

england doesnt need any love, that the AI doesnt know how to do anything like reality isnt a problem with england mechanics

I always wanted to play a maya game. Now I shall! I might custom design my own maya empire however or...my god.....I shall create a nation of fleeing Welshmen that landed in florida. Owain didn't just disappear he took a few boats and went west. Soon I shall raise a welsh florida and CONQUER ENGLAND

FINALLY! your going to fix the idiotic colonization and exploration! my biggest annoyance with the game will finally be fixed!
Ehh, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I agree about the colonization and conquest of mesoamerica needs to be changed somehow, because it's just wierd seeing Spain try to conquer the Aztecs and Incas with little enthusiasm.

I wonder if they will make it to where the natives wont get roflstomped by 20k euros crossing the ocean in 1520. Be nice if they made attrition sky high but made it to where you could buy special mercenaries that don't get that level of attrition. Then as you get higher diplo tech this attrition level drops(perhaps provinces overseas that aren't connected to you have a separate supply level that increases due to diplo tech).

Ideally id like to see 1k or 2k European troops drop then they have to try and fill their armies out with local mercenaries. If they cant do that then well placate the natives slowly gather strength and native allies then topple them.