• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

xXConquerorXx

Major
22 Badges
Nov 24, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
So, I play CK2 since November, and CK2+ since around the same time, and I've always wanted to make a mod (or in this case a sub-mod) for it, so here it is. I present you all, Rise of Islam!

So what does this sub-mod does?

- Adds a new Bookmark, Rise of Islam, starting in 8 June 632 AD, the death of Muhammad;
- Build your own Islamic Empire, from scratch, or stop it and magnamiously(?) change history;
- Zoroastrians finnally have a chance to survive;
- New religions (not in the first version though);
- New Cultures;
- New Titles;
- I don't know what else to say!;

Progress:

* Cultures --- 100% done (still subject to change though)
* Religions --- 50% done (only vanilla CK2+ ones, new ones like Basque, Arabic and Iranian will be comming soon)
* History --- 40% done

Previews:

1st - British Isles ( http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...3.5.6)-WIP&p=18708243&viewfull=1#post18708243 )
2nd - Scandinavia ( http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...3.5.6)-WIP&p=18733388&viewfull=1#post18733388 )
3rd - Western Europe ( http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...3.5.6)-WIP&p=18775354&viewfull=1#post18775354 )
4th - Southern Europe ( http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...MOD-Rise-of-Islam-WIP&p=18882151#post18882151 )
5th - Eastern Europe ( http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...MOD-Rise-of-Islam-WIP&p=18990247#post18990247 )
6th - Middle East ( [SUB-MOD] Rise of Islam - WIP )

Credits:

I didn't make everything used here myself, so here is the stuff I took:

- Hellenic and Gothic cultures (Ofaloaf).
- Sogdian, Azeri and Tocharian cultures (cybrxkhan).
- Aghbanian Culture (Bloodmerchant).
- Karantanci Culture (duinnin).
- WTWSMS Team for allowing me to use some of their stuff.
- handynasty for helping me with Arabia.
- And last but not least, the CK2+ Team for making this awesome mod.

Download:

link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zu9994ufb8evjpk/Rise of Islam.zip

- Installation:

1 - Open the .zip file and drop it's contents in Crusader Kings II/mod;
2 - Activate in the launcher, MAKE SURE CK2+ IS ACTIVATED TOO;

- Changelog:

v0.2
  • Made the Saxons Germanics intead of Norse (religion);
  • Made the Rashidun caliphs Kingdom rulers (k_arabia);
  • Added Tocharian, Indo-Parthian, Aramean, Nabatean, Hebrew, Khalan, Hymiarite, Hadhramauti and Omani cultures;
  • Broke the Altaic culture group into Oghuz, Oghur and Altaic;
v0.1.2
  • Updated to CK+ 3.06.4;
  • FINALLY managed to make the .mod file work, so easier installation now;

v0.1.1
  • Added "interesting characters" list;
  • Rename Carinthian culture to Carantanian;

v0.1:
  • Increased the area of Gallo-Roman culture, also living till 790;
  • Pushed Vlach culture further south, made those south of the Danube Orthodox, Wallachians are pagan;
  • Moved Gepid culture to Carpathia, as oposed to being in Pannonia(the Roman province area);
  • Removed Moesian Goths, cut off part of Theo Strabo's family and turned them into Byzantines;
  • Changed d_syracuse's liege from k_italy to e_byzantium, also made it a vice-royalty;
  • Occitan only appears in 790;
  • Added Bolghar culture in Wallachia and Dobruja area for the 769 and 867 starts;

- Bugs and Issues:

• Can't use diplomatic actions with some characters. Haven't fully tested but appears to be only random courtiers;
  • Random generated characters have negative ID's, might be do to new cultures added;
  • Game crashes when resigning game in the 632 Bookmark. Works fine in the other starts;

Last edited:
Reactions:
1st Preview - British Isles:

In 632 AD the British Isles where going trough changing times, as the Saxons slowly converted to Christianity, while still pushing the Britons further west, getting them closer to the rest of Western Europe. Meanwhile the Irish were fightning each other in wars over the isle.

- England:

England at this time was divided into the 7 kingdoms, Mercia, Wessex, Sussex, Kent, Essex, East Anglia and Northumbria, also known as the Heptarchy, by 632, half of the kingdoms was Pagan and while half was Christian.

ck2_2.png

* Mercia:

Mercia was located in the Midlands of England, and ruled by King Penda at the time, he was a Pagan, even though he tolerated Christianity and it's preaching by priests after his son's marriage and baptism, even though he "hated and despised those whom he perceived not to perform the works of faith, when they had once received the faith, saying, 'They were contemptible and wretched who did not obey their God, in whom they believed.'". Penda was responsible for laying the foundations for the Mercia Supremacy of the 7th and 8th Centuries, having defeated the Northumbrians, East Anglians and West Saxons, being finnaly killed in battle in 655.

ck2_3.png

ck2_5.png

* Northumbria:

Northumbria, the northenmost kingdom in England, created by the union of the Kingdoms of Deira and Bernicia, under the rule of King Oswald (here under Eanfrith, might have been a mistake made by me here, sorry) was at the time the most powerfull English Kingdom, though it lose it's Supremacy in the following decades, being defeated in battle various time in the hands of the Mercians.

dmJargJ.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

* East Anglia:

Located on the East Coast, East Anglia is pressed by Mercia and Essex, both Pagan Kingdoms. Ruled by Saint Sigeberht, one of the first Christian Kings of the Saxons, he later abdicated and was martyred by Penda of Mercia.

z176FzW.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

* Wessex:

Wessex at the time was ruled by King Cynegils, it's first Christian King, he probably ruled jointly with other kings, but thats not really doable on CK2, he was baptised in the 630s, godfathered by Oswald of Northumbria, his date of death is not really known though. To make the situation a little bit harder I landed a Pagan member of the Dynasty, so Cynegils woudn't be alone.

* Sussex:

Sussex had no known kings from this period, it's first historical king, Æthelwealh, would only appear in 661, hes just a child in this period, so I gave him a father (who is also the King of Sussex, and also a Pagan).

* Essex:

Essex was ruled by King Sigeberht the Little, who was a Pagan, he died in 653, and was succedded by Sigeberht the Good, the first Christian King of Essex.

* Kent:

Kent was already done, so I didn't do anything there.

- Britons:

The Britons were divided into various kingdoms, from Cornwall to Strathclyde, Welsh and Cornish, all of them being pushed west by the Saxons.

- Picts and Gaels:

From the History files, the Pictish Kings were all christians by this time, but I've made the population Celtic to make things a bit more interesting (and to allow for a Celtic Rebirth), I've also divided the Kingdom, and theres also the Kingdom of Albany to the south. In the West, Dal Riata and in the North, the Caledonian pagans (because I haven't found anything about that area, so had to fill the hole somehow, gives Celtic paganism a better chance to survive) all going to fight for the land.

- Ireland and Man:

Ireland was basically done already, except for Ulster and Dublin, so it's the same setup as Charlemagne, Isle of Man was also done, so I didn't even touched that.

- Culture and Religion:

This is the cultural setup in the Isles at this date, most of it is still Celtic, especially Welsh speaking Britons in England and South Scotland, though the Saxons have gained quite some territory since they came to Britain.

Religiously, it isn't different, Welsh, Cornish and Irish peoples are Christians, while Picts and Saxons have their respective branches of Paganism.

Thats it for today, next preview, Scandinavia and it's Mythological Kings.

Last edited:
WOW! :blink::eek:hmy:
I fully support this. Finally! Someone dared to do it... I bow before you.

I wish you the best of luck! And while my modding skills and my time are both limited, if you need some help let me know.

Reactions:
Very ambitious for a one-man project, I wish you good luck.

Why did you decide to start after the death of Mohammad? Would be fun to play as Mohammad himself.

So...I take it you know nothing about Muslim beliefs and haven't been paying attention to current events for oh, say the last decade or three? Or, better yet, for the last 9 days?

EDIT: Also I think no one wants to play as someone with no portrait in-game (he's in the history files IIRC but his portrait is intentionally left blank by paradox).

Last edited:
Reactions:
So...I take it you know nothing about Muslim beliefs and haven't been paying attention to current events for oh, say the last decade or three? Or, better yet, for the last 9 days?

EDIT: Also I think no one wants to play as someone with no portrait in-game (he's in the history files IIRC but his portrait is intentionally left blank by paradox).
I did two tours in Afghanistan, I have experienced the lunacy of Islamic extremists on a personal basis. I don't see why Islamic blasphemy laws should have any impact on a CK2 mod unless the author is a devout Muslim himself. Could easily mod him to have a normal portrait.

Reactions:
I did two tours in Afghanistan, I have experienced the lunacy of Islamic extremists on a personal basis. I don't see why Islamic blasphemy laws should have any impact on a CK2 mod unless the author is a devout Muslim himself. Could easily mod him to have a normal portrait.

You don't have to be islamic to respect the beliefs of another religion.

Reactions:
Why did you decide to start after the death of Mohammad? Would be fun to play as Mohammad himself.

Because this is the most interesting date I could find in this period (at least after the end of the Roman-Persian war). And also, representing the chaos in Persia after 627 might be a bit beyond my abilities. Oh I respect the Muslims if they don't like representations of their Prophet/Religious stuff, and better safe than sorry, wouldn't like having a bomb in my house.

Reactions:
2nd Preview - Scandinavia:

As up until the 9th, 10th centuries, Scandinavia is divided into various Petty Kingdoms and Tribes, from the Jemts in the north to the Danes.

The strongest (I belive, haven't playtested anything yet) kingdom is Götaland, in southern Sweden, yes, the kingdom of Beowulf (hes in the Kingdom's history btw), ruled by King Helm, first, and only, member of the Ulfing dynasty, can his dynasty and the mythical kingdom of the norse Sagas survive?

Denmark is divided in 2, Sjaelland, ruled by Harald the Old, occupies the insular portion, plus the tip of Scania;

In the mainland, the Heaðobards, led by King Olaf, rule over Jutland, a war waiting to happen between both Kingdoms;

In Norway, Harald, and his son, Vikar, rule over Agder and Telemark, but have to worry about the Kingdom of Hordaland, should it invade the south as it did in the Sagas.

Hordaland, under King Herjorf stands ready to conquer Agder, and maybe even expand into other areas of Scandinavia, or beyond.

On the other side of the peninsula, Olof the Sharp-sighted rules over Bergslagen, and can quickly subjugate Uppland and conquer all of Sweden.

Uppland was done, only thing to do was to add territories (other than it's capital) to it.

I haven't found anything regarding rulers of Gotland, Central Norway and Jemtland, so I added made up rulers for them.

Culturaly and Religiously, most of Scandinavia is Norse, except for Jemtland, which is Finnic (but ruled by Nords)

Thats it, next preview, Francia and Germania.

Well I personally prefer this date mostly because I think making with Muhammad still alive would be too easy for Muslims (heck he basicaly had all of Arabia united, with the exception of Sassanid and Ghassanid territories), especially with weaker Persia (and danm I like them Zoros, don't want them to die too easly).

TL;DR: I want to be a bigot without anyone criticizing me for being one. And if someone chooses to do something with their creation that I disagree with, they are bending to the will of social justice warriors.
ZxEgg0D.gif

I'm no bigot. I simply believe in free speech and not letting radical Muslim militants stop me from enjoying my game. If you want to block Muhammed in your mods, then be my guest, but don't do it because you feel like you're forced to because of current events.

Reactions:
I'm no bigot. I simply believe in free speech and not letting radical Muslim militants stop me from enjoying my game. If you want to block Muhammed in your mods, then be my guest, but don't do it because you feel like you're forced to because of current events.
Well said.
But I think there are many reasons, like balancing (because Muhammed would be very powerful, as stated by OP above) that make a starting date after his death the best choice.
IMO, and in my head when thinking about a mod like this I would have the 'Rise of Islam' always start after him, irregardless of current events, yes. I wouldn't want to play as Jesus either, because he would be OP, too (though unlanded - well nevermind). And it's still a mod authors personal decision what he wants to do (as you said), because he isn't getting paid for this stuff ;)

Anyway, I think this issue has gotten more attention than it deserves - maybe because of current events - but that's the point: I don't want to be forced to be talking so much about Muhammed's depiction just because some extremists think it important. I don't want to let them dictate me what to focus on.

And now that we've sorted this out, can we please focus more on the mod itself? I am personally more interested on what the whole world looks like, so thanks for the previews! Excited for the next one :)

Yeah, well I'm making the states other than the Franks and then I'll jump back to them (cause I found a site which list some Merovingian time nobles/dux's that I can use, which is already much better than just relying on the list of Mayors of the Palace in Wikipedia).

Yeah, well I'm making the states other than the Franks and then I'll jump back to them (cause I found a site which list some Merovingian time nobles/dux's that I can use, which is already much better than just relying on the list of Mayors of the Palace in Wikipedia).

Researching that kind of stuff is always tricky, especially when looking so far back. I commend you for your patience.