• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedMoonbeam

Recruit
1 Badges
Jan 2, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
The Tale of Yi Ti or At the Edge of Civilization
Tradertown.png
Qo Pol looked on from his balcony surveying Trader Town. All manner of people: the fierce Jogos Nhai and their Zorses, the maidens of Bayasabahad with their swords and silver tounged salemen of Qarth bringing luxuries of the West, proudly displayed their wares. He even glimpsed some men and women from Asshai, garbed in black cloaks, and selling wares from beyond civilization.

Of course, all the wares of Yi-Ti were also on show. He had made sure of that. Under the guidance of his father and himself, the city had blossomed to become one of the trading jewels of the world.Although its location didn't hurt. Connected to the cities of the Bone Mountains by the Steel and Sand roads and being the northern most point of Yi Ti , Trader Town had become a haven for those wishing to buy the goods of Yi Ti without paying the stiff tarrifs implemented by the imperial court. Although small in comparison to some of the great cities of the east, to Qo Pol,who had lived his entire life on the frontier, it was the largest and most magnificant place he had ever known.

qopol.png
Qo Pol withdrew from the glare of the sun and in to the cool shade of his chamber. He paused to look at himself in a large mirror he had just had brought to him from Qarth. In the reflexion, an athletic man of three and thirty years stared back at him.He was wearing some fine silk cloths and a red head covering that was the new court style.

Qo Pol was more than a competant ruler and he knew it. His skills of fighting and comanding had been honed to a deadly edge by years of repelling attacks of Jogos Nhai and other noxious peoples. He was devoted to his wife, although he did not love her and zealously followed the instructions of The Lion of the Night and the Maiden-Made-of-Light. However, the richness of his domain had given him a lust for wealth and the luxuries it could bring.

Qo Pol had waited long for this day, his advisors had convinced him the stars and moons predicted victory. His priest had attested to the favour of the gods. His marshal crowed his military strength. So Prince Qo Pol was ready. He was ready to be an emperor.

faction.jpg

Last edited:
First off, welcome to the forums! Second, welcome to the world of AAR writing! I hope your work is successful and memorable, as it should be. On a note concerning your images, if you're including them, perhaps you'd like to make them a bit larger? Otherwise, best of luck. Very much looking for what evolves from this.

Cheers!

Thank you so much for your encouragement. Writing an aar has always been something I've wanted to do.As for the pictures I will try to make them bigger for the next one. I hope that you have a wonderful day.

Interesting idea. Theres not many Essos AARs, and theres no AAR about Yiti. But you could wait to the moment when the new version is out.

But I too welcome you to the forum and wish you luck.

Greetings !!!

Chapter 1

Prince Duc felt the cold steel of his brothers blade underneath his chin. “Dead,”said his brother coldly “ This was a poor show even for you.”

Prince Duc glared at him. Ever since he had known him one of Qo's special joys had been embarrassing him. “Not everyone is such an excellent swordsman as yourself, dear brother.”he said as venomously as he dared. For as much as Duc hated his brother he knew he would have to try to keep his approval if he wanted to stay heir to the principality of Trader Town.

For he had plans for Trader Town. Great plans. He would transform the city in his image, make it great....

But the only way he could do that was to keep in his brothers good graces. However, as usual his tongue betrayed him. “However,” he continued despite himself “There is more to ruling a principality than fighting.”

His brother's eyes narrowed. He recognized a slight when he heard one. Just as he was about to open his mouth to retort, a petulant voice spoke up “Well Duc, I think the best way to rule is with hard work, which neither of you know anything about.”

Duc turned his fury against Quy. As the youngest, their mother had babied him, and combined with the soft living of the palace, life had given considerable weight which he tried to hide on his neck with a long beard. He had only mastered the basics of fighting, and was constantly afflicted with fear. That didn't stop him from giving his opinion to anyone, whether they asked or not.

“As if you knew anything about ruling,”snarled Duc “ Luckily for this principality you will never get the chance to, I'll make sure of that.”Duc moved menacingly towards his brother intent on punishing him. Quy shrieked in fear and tried to run away but tripped on his silk robe and fell down.

Just as he was about to smack Quy with the flat of his sword, he heard the slow drawl of Qo's voice. “ Leave him or you will be the only one receiving a beating.”
Reluctantly, Duc sheathed his sword. “ Good, now both of you leave, I want to talk to Mu.

They both trooped out of the court yard but while Quy hurried off to fetch Mu, Duc hid behind a pillar. He wanted to hear what his brother was up to.

Soon Duc heard Mu pass him by and head to the courtyard where Qo was waiting.
“You called for me brother,” he heard her say in that smooth tone she reserved for her brother.

Mu was very odd. She was far more educated than a women ought to be, thought Duc. She'd even taken to writing books and poetry. Even odder, at the years of eight and twenty she was still unmarried(though she had no lack of passion or lovers) Duc thought this must be because her learning intimidated every potential suitor.

“ Yes, dear sister, I wanted to tell you that at you're age it is really time you found a husband. Now don't get that look, he's a young man about your age from a rich family who will be able to support you. Not only that but I need his help for my claim to the throne and this marriage will forge a bond between our two families...”

“ I will never marry him,” interrupted Mu “I will marry when and who I choose!” She fled out of the courtyard.

Duc's mind was a whirl. If this crazy plot of his brothers failed, as he was sure it would, the emperor would need someone to take his place. A small smile crept over Duc's face.

Attachments

• Prince Duc.png
    Prince Duc.png
    262,7 KB · Views: 166
  • Quy.png
    Quy.png
    96,5 KB · Views: 164
  • Mu.png
    Mu.png
    92 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I must admit I don't know the mod. Or did you rename a province? Could someone please fill me in?

Its the famous and loved Game of Thrones mod ;)
Ah, many thanks. As I have not played the Game of thrones mod myself, I don't have an interest in the books or show, so I didn't recognize anything.
And to the author, good luck and may the gods be with you. I myself have been toying with the idea of an AAR, but I'm part German and part Irish. AKA it must be done perfectly... tomorrow.

Ah, many thanks. As I have not played the Game of thrones mod myself, I don't have an interest in the books or show, so I didn't recognize anything.
And to the author, good luck and may the gods be with you. I myself have been toying with the idea of an AAR, but I'm part German and part Irish. AKA it must be done perfectly... tomorrow.

The mighty GoT has not only conquered the literary world, and the television world, it is now conquering the video game and role-playing worlds now too! :p

Have you read the books ? Im reading A Clash of Kings in the moment. All four seasons I have seen. The World of ice and fire is just fantastic:p

I'm going to sound like a heretic to you. I lost complete interest after A Clash of Kings, and after season 2 on HBO, really haven't cared so much to watch it. Although the constant twitter and other social media and online news feeds means I know what's happening... :confused:

I find George RR Martin's books to be highly overrated. Clash was already a tedious enough read. If I want high fantasy, I'll stick with my giant Tolkien collection. Also, I find Brandon Sanderson's new The Stormlight Archive, The Way of Kings (2010) & Words of Radiance (2014) to be much more fulfilling and quick-paced and gripping reads. Oh well.

This, of course, doesn't mean I don't like some of the neat GoT AARs and stuff! :)

I'm going to sound like a heretic to you. I lost complete interest after A Clash of Kings, and after season 2 on HBO, really haven't cared so much to watch it. Although the constant twitter and other social media and online news feeds means I know what's happening... :confused:

I find George RR Martin's books to be highly overrated. Clash was already a tedious enough read. If I want high fantasy, I'll stick with my giant Tolkien collection. Also, I find Brandon Sanderson's new The Stormlight Archive, The Way of Kings (2010) & Words of Radiance (2014) to be much more fulfilling and quick-paced and gripping reads. Oh well.

This, of course, doesn't mean I don't like some of the neat GoT AARs and stuff! :)

WSOIAF is so popular because of the show. But I really like it. Everyone has his interests. I dont really like Tolkien, too many fantasy for me.

Just a thing or two aimed at volksmarshall in here:
I'd disagree that ASOIAF is high fantasy. It does have quite a few fantastic (And I'm using that as an adjective here, not as a quality indicator) elements, but especially at first they aren't as prevalent (though they are more and more as time goes on), and the writing doesn't have the same sense of a "fantasy" world (at least as I see it). Eh, it really isn't to everyone's taste (and considering some things that's not surprising).

Also, how is Sanderson as a writer? Might read some of his during the summer.

Back on topic, it's nice to see an AAR that takes place in Essos, and I'm curious as to what goes on with Yi Ti (as I know little about it). Keep on going with it Redmoonbeam.

Just a thing or two aimed at volksmarshall in here:
I'd disagree that ASOIAF is high fantasy. It does have quite a few fantastic (And I'm using that as an adjective here, not as a quality indicator) elements, but especially at first they aren't as prevalent (though they are more and more as time goes on), and the writing doesn't have the same sense of a "fantasy" world (at least as I see it). Eh, it really isn't to everyone's taste (and considering some things that's not surprising).

Also, how is Sanderson as a writer? Might read some of his during the summer.

I'd probably agree that Martin's work aren't "high fantasy" but they still certainly share some elements with traditional high fantasy concepts. Oh well. I know that many find his work to be great and popular, but I suppose it's just not my niche.

I find Sanderson to be a very good writer. But like many writers, I do think he could trim down his work and not lose the heart of the stories he is telling. Sanderson also benefits imo from the fact that his works can be also easily qualify and be read by teenagers, but hey--a good story is a good story right?

And yes, I hope our discussion of Martin and his works hasn't distracted from the actual AAR! :p

Chapter 2

Qo Pol was still thinking about his plan for Mu when a expensivly dressed man entered the courtyard. “Who might you be,” inquired Qo.

The man replied in a haughty and effected voice, “ I am Mun, emmesary of his Majesty the Azure , God Emperor of the Golden Empire of Yi Ti, Gai of the noble and most ancient house of Bu. I bring a message written in his Majesty's own hand.”

Qo Pol received the message and thanked Mun, who left in a hurry. Worried that the emperor was about to snip his insurrection in the bud he was surprised by what he found. An invitation to the capital and a post as Grand Marshal of the empire.
lSnbJHL.png

Qo weighed his options. On one hand this could just be a trick to get him in the capital where he'd be in the emperor's power. On the other this was a perfect opportunity to build the conections at court he needed to take over. Besides, the post of Grand Marshal was rich in prestige.

The next day Po left with Mu for the capital, following the Trader's Road. He left Duc in charge of the estates, something his brother obiviously enjoyed. Sometimes he worried that Duc wasn't the great oaf he seemed to be. So just as a precaution he had made sure he also had loyal servants prepared to take over if Duc tried a coup.

During the carriage ride Mu had remained sullen. With no one to talk to, Qo had taken to staring out the window. As the carriage lumbered along Trader's Road the view of Trader Town in the distance grew further and further away. Eventually, the dusty plain of his principality faded away, replaced by lush grassland and farms of rice.He could even glimpse the famed YiTish jungle in the distance, untouched by civilization.He had no idea YI Ti was so large. As minutes passed in to hours, Qo wished the carriage would hurry up.

Soon they had passed in to the principality of Tiqui where Mu would be dropped off to marry the principality's future ruler. As they came up to the town of Tiqui, they both gaped. Tiqui had to be twice the size of Trader Town.It's streets were packed with people from all walks of life and although it was larger, Qo stil prefered his home. For Tiqui was more like a large warren than a city, he thought, what with it's dirt streets and ramshackle houses.

When they reached the old prince's palace, a large abode of marble and jade, they were greated by the old prince and his son, Zhe. Although Zhe seemed to be on his best behaviour, Mu refused to talk to him unless it was to correct some faulty scholarship. Despite the behaviour of the prince, Qo sensed a certain weakness in his character.
jWm0MkS.png

Everything else seemed to be going according to plan, the father seemed amiable enough, and with a little prodding, he was sure the man would join his cause. After the greeting, the two had led them on a tour of the palace. Although Qo tried not to look too jealous, he secretly coveted all the riches found here.

After the tour, they all sat down to an elaborate feast. A first course of some traditional Yitish dishes, frys of vegetable and noodle dripped in a salty Do sauce, were soon finished. As some entertainers preformed an elaborate routine of kicks, spins and cartwheels,the conversation turned to politics.

“His Majesty has decided to yield to the rightful demands of his loyal princes,”the old man explained. “He has issued an edict that reinforces the traditional
liberties of noblemen such as ourselves. It's a new glorious day for the empire.”
qpFQl2Y.png

“Yes,marvellous”said Qo unenthusiastically.

After the feast, Qo thanked them for their hospitality and left the palace. The world felt unusually cold and hostile compared to the warmth of the palace.He hurried to the coach.

Once Qo was inside, he thought about the emperor's move. No doubt he feared insurrection as well as Qo's plans. By giving the nobles what they wanted he ensured their loyalty. However, the emperor was old. When he died the loyalty edict he had inspired would die with him.

However, as the carriage left Taqui behind he couldn't help feeling a sense of despair.

Last edited:
Chapter 3

When Duc had heard that he was to be left in control, he could barely contain his joy. This was the chance that he had been waiting for. His grand plans for the principality were within his reach.
8NeTNRr.png

As his brothers carriage was lost in the setting sun, Duc ran to his to his room with a manic energy. Once inside, Duc could contain his glee no longer. Hours later, when his passions had been exhausted and his mind had turned to the serious matter of governing, a knock at the door startled him.

Upon opening the door, Duc was startled to find his brother,Huan.
gzslZMA.png

Huan was like his brother Quy. Fat, spoiled and completely useless. He was also prone to wasting huge amounts of money on himself. What made him worse, in Duc's opinion was his hypocritical pretensions to piety. There was nothing he couldn't justify, and no argument that could disuade him. He was also balding.

“Ah brother, what a ….. pleasant suprise,” said Duc trying to hide his contempt “ what do you need from me at this hour?”

“There are several things brother,”said Huan “Firstly, the council would like to speak with you about your instructions for the principality.”

“ Why was the meeting not held sooner,” demanded Duc.

“They were simply getting their affairs in order, and deemed this time would give you ample time to...... grow accustomed to the position. They only allowed a trusted one like me to deliver the news lest it fall in to the wrong hands.”
Duc hurried off to the council chamber where he had so often sat at the right hand of his brothers throne. Today the throne would be his. He had hoped to lose Huan in the corridors, but he followed him, stuck to him like a leech. Finally, they reached the great teak doors of the council chamber.

As he walked across the room to take his rightful place on the throne, he noticed that all the council members were already there. Huan too took his place on a cushion at the right side of the throne. When Duc sat down, the throne was unusually hard and uncomfortable.
WTJciEM.png

It was count Bo who spoke first. “What would you have us do, my prince?”

How Duc loved the sound of that title. He immediately judged Bo to be one of the most competent there.

“I need you to oveersee Trader Town. As my first aid, we must make this city great again. Find out information and inforce my will here however you see fit, in the confines of the law.”

Count Bo bowed his head and smiled. A new voice spoke up,that of Thu, mistress of laws. “Yet should we not be making conections and raising men? This is not a time for counting beans, it is a time for making of an army!”
aefrOoV.png

As the youngest member of council, Thu was lowborn and yet already had risen high. Yet her silver tounge was not to be underestimated. Already most of the council was nodding in argreement.

“You are are right Thu,” answered Qo carefully. “However we need gold to raise armies. If you wish, you may travel to Tiqui to raise enthusiasm for my dear brother's cause. I believe you are.....well connected. As for armies, perhaps marshal Gang would care to get our army into shape.”

yrbTLDj.png

They both inclined their heads respectfully. Then Duc turned to Qi. Although he bore her no personal malice, as long as she was here, she remained a sybol of her husbands presence. With her camanding air, she inspired loyalty. The last thing Duc needed were any more suporters of Qo.
OGXb3AZ.png

“ You my dear sister, accompany Thu to aid her in convincing Tiqui to aid us.”

Although her eyes were filled with suspicion, she too bowed her head.

He was about to continue but he was interupted by Huan. “ I would like to raise the matter of certain rights that were denied to me by our brother. As is befitting to a prince of Trader Town, I would like my allowence raised to a level beffiting my station and a place on the council, perhaps master of coin?”

“ When you can manage your finances well enough not to be in debt, we shall see about a raise and master of coin,” said Duc coldly.

Huan went red. “I won't be treated this way. I demand..”

“If you won't be treated this way, leave!” Huan stormed out of the room, fuming.

“ Now gentlemen, back to buissness. I'm planning a fair, the largest and most spectacular this town has ever seen. This fair will live on in years to come, continuing to attract people to our town. Count Vien, I will need your help organising the fair and collecting revenue.Thank you for your time gentlemen, council dismissed.”
MB8h2Rq.png

JULKOd4.png

Although some of the council looked as if they didn't approve of the idea, the all left the room. Duc sank back in to his chair. It had been a busy day but already his plans had started to be put in to motion.