• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ive never understood the point of switching to random other formables
I imagine that the rationale is as follows:

Poland -> Commonwealth gets you lots and lots of land in Lithuania.
Commonwealth -> Prussia gives you the absurdly strong Prussian military NIs.
Prussia -> Germany gives you loads of accepted cultures and free claims.
Germany -> Russia is the least obvious of the four, but presumably it's for the enormous amount of claims that forming Russia gives you.

It's not a strategy I'd pursue, but there is a logic to it.

Germany -> Russia is the least obvious of the four, but presumably it's for the enormous amount of claims that forming Russia gives you.

Well, neither Germany nor Prussia are allowed to culture shift as far as I can see, hence no Russia here.

Also, Russian late-game events are good. Hell, if you're lucky, you can stack two -10% tech cost modifiers from 1750 for the rest of the campaign.

What are the mods you are using? Are they IM compatible?

Yes, they are. I use Thick Borders and Recolored Water, Flat Political Mapmode, Thick Borders.

I imagine that the rationale is as follows:

Poland -> Commonwealth gets you lots and lots of land in Lithuania.
Commonwealth -> Prussia gives you the absurdly strong Prussian military NIs.
Prussia -> Germany gives you loads of accepted cultures and free claims.

^ this

Well, neither Germany nor Prussia are allowed to culture shift as far as I can see, hence no Russia here.

Also, Russian late-game events are good. Hell, if you're lucky, you can stack two -10% tech cost modifiers from 1750 for the rest of the campaign.

Are you sure that I can't culture shift to Russian?

Game = Won

Poland -> Commonwealth -> Prussia -> Germany -> (gonna shift to Russia soon).
Vassals: Sweden, Crimea, Bavaria, Novgorod
End game aim: to create a European map that looks like post-WW2-Axis-Victory

Hey, that´s awesome! But how did you form Prussia starting as Poland? I could see in wiki that Prussia can be formed only by countries with Prussian culture? Or did I miss anything?

Hey, that´s awesome! But how did you form Prussia starting as Poland? I could see in wiki that Prussia can be formed only by countries with Prussian culture? Or did I miss anything?

Start as Poland. Sell most of the provinces to Lithuania (after the PU is formed ofc). Then join HRE (you should have 2 or 3 provinces, Mazovian vassal, Lithuania as a junior partner and Moldavia as a march). Then conquer Teutons. Integrate Mazovia to get the decision to move capital to Warsaw (it gives free base tax there). Then move capital to Danzig and do culture shift by selling polish-culture provinces to Lithuania. At admin tech 10 form PLC. Then after you go reformed/protestant just form Prussia (your primary culture should be Prussian). After that with the big territory and manpower you may become Emperor and start forcing PU's on another great powers (Elective monarchies are great for that). Form Germany and get tons of free claims. Profit???

PS: I was never HREmperor. Before going reformed Austria was my best ally (they had Spain under PU). After that I allied France, got Habsburg elected on my throne and claimed the Austrian throne. After defeating Austria and Spain got 2 personal unions in 1 war. My next ruler was Valois which let me PU France.

The rule is that cultural union tags can't culture shift to any culture outside of the group (but they can culture shift within the culture group, so Prussian->Saxon, or Cosmopolitan->Occitain, are OK but useless), so France, GB, Germany, Spain, Italy, Scandinavia, Russia, Ruthenia, Arabia, Hindustan, Persia, and Byzantium are dead end nations (unless the bankruptcy as a OPM trick still works). The HRE is a special case in that any nation could potentially form it and it counts as a Germanic culture union although your primary culture could be anything. The culture shift rule still applies though, and the bankruptcy trick will not work with the HRE as it is specifically prohibited from forming any other nation ok so apparently it works, the HRE is only prohibited from forming any nation in Europe + Egypt.

Last edited:
and the bankruptcy trick will not work with the HRE as it is specifically prohibited from forming any other nation.
Though the rest is correct as far as I recall it that part is not accurate. The HRE(and PAP since they pretty much always show up together) is only specifically excluded in decisions of formable nations in Europe and around it(Egypt for instance). The Mughals only exclude the Ottomans and Persia, Hindustan only excludes Mughals and Malaya excludes nothing to give a few examples.

Though the rest is correct as far as I recall it that part is not accurate. The HRE(and PAP since they pretty much always show up together) is only specifically excluded in decisions of formable nations in Europe and around it(Egypt for instance). The Mughals only exclude the Ottomans and Persia, Hindustan only excludes Mughals and Malaya excludes nothing to give a few examples.
TIL. Your totally right.

That sounds cool, can I have a screenshot?

Here you go

I posted this earlier too, I just play very, very slowly so it isn't a whole lot more than I had then.

F306B86F5BC247C794683CCFCF5652EB4E8883D2

56D18D14710B11BD32A8DF48180E4E0B60E415EE

Working on colonizing the spice islands and the Philippines and tiwan, just need a larger presence in Southern India to get the daisy chain going all the way back home.

yWPQFyW.jpg

The look of my No trail of tears game the moment I got the achievement, took almost exactly 200 years.
It turned out to be a lot easier than I had expected it to be, it's easy to colonize most of the eastern american coastline before the europeans show up, meaning you can block them from colonizing in the region. And from there you just westernize and colonize the inland provinces. My western border looks ugly though, gonna have to fix that.

I present to you, Venice
KBbie3S.png

1444 Start, Not Ironman, As I'm brining this into V2 and Took about a solid hour fixing the borders in America to their current level.

France and I had a falling out for most of the game, Mostly France Greedily wanting my Indian Colonies. Austria used the time to Inherit Bohemia and Form the HRE. Now France is best friends with me again, Scared for their own life as the HRE is the most powerful nation in the world right now.

I'm number 2, 1st in Score but probably second in overall power. the HRE beats me out in force limit just barely. I'm completely unchallenged at sea and income however.

The PLC is number 3, And Is a dirty Traitor. Best friends against the Ottomans, and then once we ran out of heathens too kill they took a preemptive strike against Russia, then decided It'd be a good time to Leave me for Austria. Whom they are still allied with Along with Romania. An unholy alliance if ever there was one. Something interesting to note is they are a Democracy which means maybe in V2 they'll leave Austria again.

Number 4 is France, Typical France. Though I should note They are actually in the midst of having a bit of a fall. They decided to take on Austria alone and lost Alsace Loraine, had to spit out Bar and lost most of their colonies as a result. They did crush the Netherlands in their infancy and turned Holland Into a refugee nation however. They Also invaded Castille and stopped them from forming Spain for an extra 200 years until I intervened. Which may seem like a stupid Idea, but a 3 province Minor Aragon was getting annoying to look at. They also never took Brittany, who went on to become a Colonial power. Louisiana has a Breton majority and the Bretons look like prime candidates to finish off Australia come V2.

Number 5 is the British. Who are the revolutionaries this time around. They made the mistake of sailing into the Mediterranean when at war with me. Worst Mistake they ever made, France Invaded them freed the Scottish and then their Colonial Empire collapsed. They arent dead however and remain a midrange naval Power and i've given thier cores on the scottish back so they have a chance to reunify britain come V2.

Number 6 is Ming, Since its Eu4 they are still every weak, But they are Western, and have the second biggest military in the world. Since I have thier cores, I'm not exactly happy about thier westerization. They also have a fledgling colonial empire in Indonesia and have kicked quite a few of the minors out of the Pacific.

Spain and Romania are the Tailend powers. Spain completely lost its colonial Empire, and Romania is on the Rise thanks to Puing Hungary. Then winning against the PLC to get Moldavia, and then a timely province sale of Northern Bulgaria. Norway deserves a Mention for getting free from Denmark, then turning around and becoming best friends with the Danes, Up until the Austrians kicked them out of Europe. I gave Norway the 2 remaining danish provinces in Greenland along with thier capital in Sjaelland I felt it wasfitting since now Norway has a shot at forming Scandinavia in V2.

Also, The Knights are still Alive, They were kicked out of Rhodes by Greek Patriots but then popped up in Malta and I've protected them Ever Since.

I also saved the Pope from the Austrians, Not that hes grateful mind you. He still hates me, The guy who pushed back the Turks, Rescued Jerusalem and Rechristianized Egypt. I'm even Catholic :/

Closeups of Europe, and the Americas. Asia and Indonesia Ommitted because I'm sparing you from the terrible borders there.

Dwkk0gP.jpg

hNZMNiL.jpg

rFBP34M.jpg

Added the Cores for Italy back in at the End as well So that way they'll be formable in V2. As a sort of Goal to force me to kick France and Austria out of Italia. Wondering if I should though or just expand my Empire in the Orient. Most of the World is Western now so it wont be Infamy Free.

Prester John achievement. The game was not easy and Ottomans DoWed every time I answer ally's CTA in a big war.
After I've defeated Mamluks, Ottomans took back Syria and some of Arabia so I had to keep expanding East until I got 1.3x his troops and secured alliances with Spain, Venice and Russia.
First war with was decisive and all-important. I have to admit that I defeated Ottomans only because he sent his armies without the leader to different parts of the battlefield so I handicapped him by burning his manpower. Spain DoW separate war so he had to fight on two fronts. With his fleet destroyed, it was easy to clean it up.

End game 1676:

fdoKwxI.jpg

55Vhsuu.jpg

Yes, I went Quantity second because it was the only thing that prevented him from DoW on me every time the truce ends.

Now, I want to applaud Paradox for introducing Religious leagues. The two massive wars repainted Europe I haven't seen prior to 1.8/1.9. Muscovy got destroyed, Polando-Lithuania exploded into minors and there is not a single Catholic country in HRE!

It was the first time I saw AI form Prussia, I think, although he isolated himself and was out of the game.

VcovPPM.jpg

Europe:

X9c0A6t.jpg

It was fun game, here are some things I found interesting (which should be under spoiler):

"not really" Revolutionary France in 1568:

A0FjTzl.jpg

Oh, those sneaky Mamluks:

UUgyOr6.jpg

That was the last game as school officially starts in 3 hours. I'm going to do Jihad Albania one and Gothic Invasion during next break, see yall.