• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe Castille had lost its European Cores and became something like a Colonial Nation?

It's sad to see such an epic ride finished - I still crave for more updates! This is one of the most "special" AAR's I've ever read - absolutely awesome what you did there. And I hope to see another CatKnight AAR in 2015 after a short rest on your part.

And 76 Chapters - ignoring the Interludes - is a truly gigantic amount!

Too bad that ripping Spain's spine out (Mortal Kombat-Fatality stylee) didn't quite work. I guess the game was incapable of accomodating your foundation-shattering awesomeness.

Also too bad that the AAR is all but over - not that I begrudge you some closure, but it would've been nice to see this carry on indefinitely, a daily companion like the morning papers or that first cup of coffee...

Finally, really too bad that you dug up my Maine flub from a year ago - I had completely forgotten about it and since I pride myself on being geographically literate, it was an unwelcome reminder. ;)

Anyway, a fun ride was had by all (minus a few forgettable minors. And presumably Spain in the last update) and I'm grateful for that. Looking forward to your post-game analysis and once that's done, I might pester you about future plans. :)

And thus a great saga ends.

Back to the Teutons!

Wonderful aar, it was well worth the read!

Congratulations for finishing! Now go, convert it over to Victoria and continue! :p

Just a little thing...

Doesn't the nation which forms a cultural union lose its cores on its land? That would explain the lack of Castillian cores. Wasn't it put in in like patch 1.2 or something to prevent Castille and Spain existing at once?

IIRC the bug was related to the low warscore cost(at least I saw other people with the same 2% having the same problem) or something along those lines.

Anyway congrats for finishing. :)

Just a little thing...

Doesn't the nation which forms a cultural union lose its cores on its land? That would explain the lack of Castillian cores. Wasn't it put in in like patch 1.2 or something to prevent Castille and Spain existing at once?
Not exactly. It happens whenever a country tag changes and it is not that country A loses anything but that country A is now called B(could say it is a find and replace "A" with "B") with whatever that entails. The only exception I recall out of mind is that claims are added so when you change tags you see claims from both A and B on provinces. I do remember some odd cases that non-owned cores are duplicated though.

In this case IIRC Aragon formed Spain not Castille thus the latter still has cores.

Congrats on meeting the end date! What a journey Johan has given us.

Great job CatKnight, and thanks for providing us all with some really fantastic entertainment. This AAR was what compelled me to start posting on the forums, so one could say that I owe my very online existence to you! ;)

Honestly, the tragic Lan Xang chapters and the epic last stand of Oman were some of my favourite parts. :)

Seelmeister: Oh, Western Europe gets some pretty ugly borders anyway thanks to my meddling. :)

Chyll: If I were to get Spain right now, I would sit back for a turn or two and rebuild. Then of course I'd avenge myself on the Netherlands!

LanMisa: Thank you! I'm not sure why Castile didn't work, but perhaps it's just as well. As Seelmeister said, those would have been some ugly borders.

Stuyvesant: I'm not sure what my future plans are yet. And don't worry, your gaffe isn't the Maine thing I remember you for.

RepublicanIV: I dunno if I'll do the Teutons again. 4 AARs seems like enough of a try.

Dr. Livingstone: Thanks!

Lord English: I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Andre Massena: Yes, you can't trust Spaniards. :)

McGrey: Perhaps. I've looked at the converter. One big problem is I haven't played Vic2 in a good two years - you'd probably be watching me ruin nations left and right.

Athalcor: Thanks!

RepublicanIV: I suspect chrnno has it right. I didn't check for cores, but when I added it to my 'peace offer' the right part of Spain lit up like it would be freed.

chrnno: Yep, probably a bug. And probably for the best.

vengeance88: Thanks!

Nikolai: It has indeed been quite a wild journey.

LatinKaiser: Lan Xang was NOT my favorite part. Though perhaps one of the more memorable ones. Once I realized how screwed Oman was, I decided to just have some fun with it. I sort of enjoyed it. (Though I enjoyed Russia and Netherlands more!)

EPILOGUE
Part 1: Pretty Charts

I figure we'll take a look at some game stats ranking the different powers, then some maps of the world and speculate what would have happened if the game kept going.

First, let's look at our big winners:

182102Income_zpsaeb8b156.jpg

I told you 200 years ago that this world belonged to the Ottos, Spain and Russia. For the most part that held true, but two more nations made late runs.

First, Portugal quietly colonized their way to the highest income in the world and a frightening looking fleet to protect their empire with. They have colonies on every continent. A handful of powers could probably burn them to the ground, but it would be a long and tedious process.

The Mughals..I'm not sure where they came from in the second half. They've made a few successful runs deep into India, which must have been enough to boost their income. They now have the third highest manpower behind Russia and the Ottos.

Despite the beating we gave Spain at the end, there's no permanent damage. Third in income, largest treasury, fourth in manpower. Losing most of Lithuania was probably good for them, as it let them focus their armies better.

I consider Russia and the Ottos the big winners, with the final nod going to the Ottomans: Russia can throw a larger army together, but they're so far spread out the Turk can win local superiority. Does the game agree?

182102Score_zps2897c0aa.jpg

Close. Spain has more points over the course o the game then Russia, but the Russians are in a stronger current position. Even our Netherlands didn't do badly, slipping comfortably into fourth total score 36 points ahead of Portugal.

Let's take a look at religion:

182102Religion_zps237c24f0.jpg

No surprise here: The Catholics beat the Proddies soundly, with the Sunni a distant second. The only reason Orthodox Christianity comes in third is due to Russia's huge performance.

You also know that military and economic prowess are closely linked, so this chart won't surprise you either:

182102Military_zps4eabb1ab.jpg

As we did last time we looked around, I sorted by 'force limit' since armies can be rebuilt. The Ottos have the largest potential army despite Russia having much more manpower. Spain's army is already rebuilding from our last war, though as you can see they're heavily dependent on mercenaries right now. Notice Florida, one of Spain's colonies, can put together the eighth largest army in the world.

Spain COULD have the largest navy, but instead they have none. Given Spain's money, I don't know why they aren't trying to fix that. Portugal's strength lies in their fleet, which helps explain why they're in third and near maximum force limit. I'm a little surprised Russia's as high as sixth given their lack of ports.

Lastly, who is actually using those armies and navies as we wrap up?

182102Wars_zps2abbc8d8.jpg

Caraibas should win unless Netherlands wanted to roll the dice with Portugal. I checked to see what Caraibas would want for peace right now: A handful of islands.

Similarly, Ming is so badly destroyed that even Tibet's wrecking it. Tibet could take eight provinces in a peace right now.

The two Orissan wars are really too close to call right now. They're all weakening each other with a hungry Mughal Empire right next door.

McGrey: Perhaps. I've looked at the converter. One big problem is I haven't played Vic2 in a good two years - you'd probably be watching me ruin nations left and right.

Isn't that halve the fun? :D

Holy Hell those are some powerful top-tier empires! I enjoyed seeing that powerful Ottoman Empire (maybe this is common in EUIV, or even EUIII, but my primary memory is of EU2 where they would just crumble after the mid-game due to the ironclad events firing. Compared to that, it's nice to see a hulking Ottoman colossus). The Ottos sure like their cannons: only Russia can muster as much infantry as the Turk has artillery - everybody else has a smaller combined army than the Ottoman artillery corps...

Shame that your years of destructive warfare didn't even really dent Spain's long-term strength. It does put your ability to win any kind of victory over them to begin with in perspective.

Looking at all the unused CASH in the game I wonder what these countries did all the time...Especially Spain should have been able to drown anything in Mercs. They could have flooded all of Europe with them. And then some other countries...The same is true for Portugal. Just imagine both countries uniting(allying) and just buying their way from the Atlantic towards the Pacific!