• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Ministry of War has reached some tentative conclusions with respect to military construction and maintenance:

1. Build 4 Guards units and assign 2 each to the 2nd and 5th Armies.

2. Build a naval base in Liberia.

3. Expand (if I'm reading the map correctly) the naval base at Emden.

4. Set Army and Navy stocks to 50%; expand both to 100% in the event of anticipated war.

5. Set Military Recruitment (or whatever that bottom slider is named) to 80%

Hals Gutfreund, Minister of War

((We don't have the tech to expand naval bases. Are you referring to building a base in the Netherlands? I think there's an open spot there.))

((We don't have the tech to expand naval bases. Are you referring to building a base in the Netherlands? I think there's an open spot there.))

((Ok, build Liberia and ?Amsterdam?))

((Ok, build Liberia and ?Amsterdam?))

((I know the one you mean, although I don't remember which province. :)

People realize we're still voting, right? Let's get it together!))

Kiel Kanal: Ja
Bundestag: Nein

Not only is there no reason to change our Parliament's name to one implying a Federation, it would also cost us thousands of Deutsche Marken to do so. I am firmly against.

- Ludwig Fredrik Andersen
UAI Deputy

((I have no votes from the following parties:

SDAP -- Conclave
Alliance -- Assembly
HUN -- Assembly
Imperialists -- Conclave --Dadarian didn't vote on the canal that I could see.

You have until 10 PM tonight to cast your vote.))

Kiel Kanal: Ja
Bundestag: Nein

~G. A. Servatius van Kloetinge

((I have no votes from the following parties:

SDAP -- Conclave
Alliance -- Assembly
HUN -- Assembly
Imperialists -- Conclave --Dadarian didn't vote on the canal that I could see.

You have until 10 PM tonight to cast your vote.))

((Av, I voted. Jeez.))

((Av, I voted. Jeez.))

((I think you made your post when I was in the middle of answering another post. :)))

Voting is complete.

The proposal to build the Kiel Canal is the most popular in our history, as not a single soul voted against it. Only the Imperialists and SDAP abstained in the Conclave.

The proposal for the Bundestag Bill fails in the Assembly and the Conclave; in the Assembly it failed 223 votes in favor to 277 against; in the Conclave, it failed 9 votes in favor to 56 against (with 35 abstentions).

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

((I have confirmed plans from everyone except the Foreign Ministry. I'll give Sakura_F until tomorrow evening to decide, or perhaps he'll see this and say something. :)

Next update will be a short one -- only take us through the six months to end 1867.))

We must further our diplomatic alliances with our brotherly nations and ensure the maintenance of the balance of power in favor of us and our allies.

((Since that's effectively what you've already said in the past, we'll treat that as "no changes".

I will play and update tonight!))

((Since that's effectively what you've already said in the past, we'll treat that as "no changes".

I will play and update tonight!))

((Being Formin of the USSR in a state of peace, and Germany in a time of gilded-ness, does not provide a strong challenge to create massively excellent Foreign Policy. That, and Bismarck.))

1867: An industrial golden age​

Michael von Hohenzollern, Chancellor of the Republic of Germany, took the podium in the Reichstag Chambers to deliver his first "State of the Republic" address.

"When I was elected Chancellor of the Republic, I heard from some newspapers and liberals that it would be an era of endless war, with the soldiers of Germany rampaging across enemy lands. [1] As the past six months have shown, nothing could be further from the truth. The very first action I took as Chancellor was to propose the construction of a canal in Kiel, one open to commercial and naval vessels of all shapes and sizes, and that is exactly what happened.

OOYEw3.jpg

tXoTwQ.jpg

To ensure that our sailors have the necessary equipment and provisions to carry out the defense of this canal, Minister of War Gutfreund authorized the construction of two brand new, state of the art naval bases in the city of Bruges and in the city of Harper, Liberia. Towards the end of 1867, our naval theorists made important advances in ship-of-the-line doctrine; these new doctrines enable our admirals to lead many more of these ships at one time, and naval engineers have been working overtime on plans to modernize our shipyards and bases. Minister of Education Dwyfor-Frauenkirche promised to invest considerable state funding into the Naval War College, working up new planning procedures and more extensive war games.

7SXny9.jpg

Yet for all of the improvements to our navy and new techniques in building field fortifications, we spent most of our attention on the domestic industry.

vcvPts.jpg

As the President of the State Planning Commission, Friedrich Meier, made plain in his government directives from July, while we are delighted to see the entrepreneurs of Germany invest in our country, factories which do not fit with our industrial plan cannot receive state funding. They must succeed or fail on their own merits. My administration has poured money into state-owned industrial plant, just over £377,000. Brandenburg, the Rhineland, Franconia, Hanover, and other regions will have the very latest in factory technology within the next two years.

The enlightened leadership of the Foreign Ministry saw Germany avoid needless intervention in the Far East. Rather than invest our time, money, and men into a crisis over Seoul, Korea, Germany stepped to one side and allowed Ethiopia and Poland to settle the disputes of the Ming Liberation Front with the Emperor of Korea. To the best of our knowledge, the Emperor has promised greater autonomy for Ming Chinese within their Empire.

2cHAJB.jpg

As 1868 begins, I pledge to you all that Germany will continue to improve. Your government will continue to invest in its military and its industry in equal measure. Thank you."

[1] Somebody really needs to write a left wing newspaper to counter GUG's right wing newspaper. :)

Here's our economy as of 1 January 1868.

ZoS55w.jpg

Idhrendur, a couple of things that will interest you. As requested, I cut subsidies for all industries not on the plan. (A plan which, BTW, does not include East Switzerland?) Three factories went bankrupt: A winery in Thuringia, a luxury clothes factory in the Palatinate, and a clipper shipyard in Piemonte. We have 5k unemployed in Piemonte; there's a Canned Food factory being built but it won't be open for at least a year, I think (judging by the bar's length). The regular clothes factory we closed in Franconia has some slight unemployment issues -- about 411 workers -- with a lumberyard which should finish sometime in 1868. Brandenburg also has 1123 unemployed workers, with a winery under construction (which will take about as long as Piemonte's Canned Food Factory to finish). That's where we closed the Machine Parts Factory.

East Switzerland has a full Steel and Cement Factory, a Machine Parts Factory that's about empty, and a Furniture Factory that's about a third finished. All seem to be profitable so far.

TheChalk, I interpreted your education plan as the following sequence: Naval Plans, Naval Professionalism, Late Classical Theory, Scientific Management, and Collectivist Theory in that order. Am I correct?

JackLEagle, assigning two guards to 5th Army will actually give them 45,000 troops and make them the largest army we have. Is that your intent? 2nd Army will be brought up to the standard 39,000 with the new guards brigades. We can also upgrade all present naval bases, and I think the map shows we still have a couple of places to stick new ones if we want.

Mikkel Glahder, how long do you want present NFs to run? If/when the two states still using the bureaucrat NFs reach 100%, what do you want to do with those NFs?

We are now accepting ballot measures for 1868. The period for these will be 24 hours, given the short period since our last meeting of the full Reichstag.

The enlightened leadership of the Foreign Ministry saw Germany avoid needless intervention in the Far East. Rather than invest our time, money, and men into a crisis over Seoul, Korea, Germany stepped to one side and allowed Ethiopia and Poland to settle the disputes of the Ming Liberation Front with the Emperor of Korea. To the best of our knowledge, the Emperor has promised greater autonomy for Ming Chinese within their Empire.

((Wait, Ethiopia and Poland are fighting over the rights of Ming Chinese in Korea? What? :laugh:))

Our government missed a golden opportunity to fight for the rights of Ming Chinese. We could have liberated the Ming people, but now they must settle for false promises of autonomy by the Emperor of Korea, who we all of course know is a liar and a fraud.

-Herr Liberator

I'm glad to see the government has finally seen some sense and is allowing at least some factories to be subject to the forces of the market. But is it really the case that the Minister can propose a tax rate up to 75% with no-one blinking an eyelid? Our priority should be to reduce taxes as far as possible, perhaps even to run a modest deficit to promote growth.

Can I receive a report on the overall literacy and of how many percent that is in the clergy in our country?

((The NFs when bureaucrats shall be put into states where we need soldier, if that still is a problem.))

1867: An industrial golden age​

JackLEagle, assigning two guards to 5th Army will actually give them 45,000 troops and make them the largest army we have. Is that your intent? 2nd Army will be brought up to the standard 39,000 with the new guards brigades. We can also upgrade all present naval bases, and I think the map shows we still have a couple of places to stick new ones if we want.

((My intention was to bring 2 33k armies to 39k each, with the Guards. Apparently, my eyes failed me. Please remedy this.

As for bases, if we can afford it, we should bring all 1's to 2's; how many is that?))

Herr Peymann, I would point out that the nominal tax rate is far different from the effective tax rate. I'm sure a clerk could tell us the actual effective tax rates in our nation. But until such time as we improve our commerce, we must have high nominal rates to offset our lack of efficiency.

FM

I proposed 75% taxes with the unfortunate knowledge that we weren't actually going to get 75% taxes. I made my policies conditional in that way, with, as the economy improves and effective taxes increase, we can drop taxes to maintain a small surplus. Don't worry, I thought it through.

~Frederick