• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
{{Just a reminder - the debate is still going on; the possibility to announce your candidature doesn't mean that you can't argue talk about National Focus or other subjects of this Session.}}

Senator Domenico Colombo announces his candidature for Faction Leader of RED DEMES

Hours Played in EU4: 654 Hours
Following This Is Madness 1 since Chapter 20

Goals before 1460:
Reconquer Egypt
Let Manpower recover
Lower autonomy in Egypt/Abysinnia
Put down the inevitable revolts
Prep for war with Aztecs and Pisa

Welcome, Honorable Senators!

We stand on the precipice of war. How it turns out will determine the fate of the Imperium. I am confident in our army, my reforms have transformed the Army into a true machine of war. More than that, my leadership has led the Red Demes to a dominant position in the Senate as the second largest faction in pure numbers. I have spent the last six years increasing our influence in the Imperial Court, and it has paid off mightily. The Army, it is true, needs powerful warriors like my opponent, but it also needs people who can get the supplies and provisions needed to boost morale, someone who can convince the Emperor of the need to attack Egypt, and a person who can regear the entire Imperial Administration for war. I have done all of these things in my tenure. What good will Moustakas achieve by fighting and dying on the battlefield as one man? It is true he is a better soldier than me, but he is not a better leader of the Red Demes. I have no doubt if he wins the Reds will still be powerful, but the machine I have built behind the scenes will crumble slowly without my leadership.

But enough on the past! We must move forward! I agree with my honorable opponent that Egypt is the first priority, but as someone from Alexandria, I can tell you that Egypt and Abysinnia need structural reforms, and that a great effort must be undertaken to lower the autonomy that some regional barons have granted themselves. They may resist, so we must be vigilant and not on our laurels. Once that threat is past, a focus should be put back into preparing for an attack on the Aztecs, and perhaps Pisa as well. Some of my constituents have voices support for such an action.

The question for you, Senators, is this: Do you want proven leadership and success, or unproven bluster?

-Domenico Colombo

{{Attalus - your post is missing the following information:

Hours played in EU4: <number> hours
Following „This Is Madness I” since: chapter <number>

Just saying ;) }}

[SIZE=+1]Senator Lazaros Melissenos[/SIZE]

The dear Hadrianos has led our Demes and has shown insight as well as foresight and – lest it's not forgotten – the fact that he stands to his word and our faction and it's interests. So much for the praise.

*Lazaros smiles in the round of the senate.*

Therefore it is only adequate for me and the House of Melissenos to further support him and the House of Raul as leader of our demes. May he lead us with the same skill he has shown until now.

{{ DO you really have to do it again ? Since it is a reelection, people know me :p }}
{{Not everyone took part in the first voting, hence not everyone knows this so yes, please do it - it's less than two sentences.}}

[SIZE=+1]Senator Helios IV Eliasian announces his candidature for Faction Leadership of Blue Demes[/SIZE]

Hours played in EUIV: 282 Hours
Following This Is Madness I since: chapter 15-20ish

Goals before 1460:
-Reconquer Aegyptus
-Send an expedition from Aegyptus to Hindkastan

Candidate Speech:
*Senator Helios speaks with a mild Armenian accent* My fellow senators, in these past years we have been doing nothing but war. It was necessary, and I fully supported it. Now we stand again on the doorstep of war, this time for Aegyptus. Again, we need it: not only to liberate the good christians and Romans under Timurid oppression, but too to have a strong naval base ready to set out to the east.
However, I do not see why senator Raoul would want to attack the Germans: after all, are they not Orthodox too, and why should we attack them and not the furasteri or the monghols first? Should we not first attack the infidels rather than, while usurpers, christians? and how, I ask you, would this benefit the Blue Demes in any way? We already know of their lands, and there is nothing to trade or explore.
However, if after reconquering Aegyptus we send an expedition to the east instead, this would wholly benefit us: it would lead to both trade and exploration, the main concern of our Demes. This is why I propose you vote for me: instead of fighting pointless wars with the Germans, we will benefit our Demes and the Kaysrut- Impera- the Imparium.

[SIZE=+1]Senator Anastasios Salamis VI:[/SIZE]
Senator Elisian, I agree with your intentions- exploration in Hindustan is indeed a top priority- however, I must explain to you the purpose of attacking the Germans.
First of all, they are weak- a war with the Barbarians or Xenoi will be a hard and devestating war, while annexing the Germans will be fairly easy.
The Germans betrayed the Imperium by calling themselves "The Roman Empire"- this makes them Heretics, thus not true Christians.
They will also be conquered sooner or later- either by the Xenoi or by their Pisan slaves. Taking the lands of the German realm will be the best way to protect the Christians within- even if their stubborn Heretic leaders won't see reason their people shall be protected, by force.
And lastly, this proposition to attack the Germans shows just how much Senator Raoul listens to his faction members- conquering the Germans will get the Imperium closer to Denmark, the ancient land of house Hvide- members of our faction who wish to reclaim it.

Senator Gaius Arrius

*Gaius mumbles to himself, expecting more pointless fighting* Oh joy, the Blue Demes are going to argue over who should be our leader... Everyone seems to agree on what the Imperium must do next. Does it matter who leads us? Exploration will not be chosen at this session, so we Blue Demes should be making friends with the Reds, not fighting each other.

{{I have no problem with the fighting, but Gaius doesn't care for politics all that much.}}

{{I'd been wondering when the Blues would finally start to divide, especially when they've been pretty severely sidelined by the Reds and even the Whites, glad to see we're finally getting some of that, maybe soon more Blues will start to see that the Reds and Whites speak with true Wisdom}}

{{I'd been wondering when the Blues would finally start to divide, especially when they've been pretty severely sidelined by the Reds and even the Whites, glad to see we're finally getting some of that, maybe soon more Blues will start to see that the Reds and Whites speak with true Wisdom}}

{{The divide will most likely happen in earnest in the session after egypt is retaken and the imperium is declared secure enough. As it stands, every senator wants egypt back so that ethiopia stops being useless and for general plot reasons, after that, I fully expect a divide between hitting the aztecs and pisans, hitting the germans, exploring into india and maybe southward, and... nobody has mentioned anything about allying or annexing aquitine in order to limit pisan growth, but I'm sure that will happen in time.}}

{{Aquitaine is something like a blind spot in this world. It wasn't mentioned often and every big empire around it tended to ignore it. And I can imagine, that the people of Aquitaine are totaly content with that...}}

{{I'm more surprised by the fact that - save for one case - not a single title has been given to anyone and there are only c. 24 hours to do so :) Also it's weird to see 2 candidates in the Red Demes but only 1 in the biggest one.

Question - as you probably noticed, every Senate Session takes 3x24h for debate and 24h for voting. Is it too much in your opinion or is it just fine?}}

Last edited:
{{I'm more surprised by the fact that - save for one case - not a single title has been given to anyone and there are only c. 24 hours to do so :) Also it's weird to see 2 candidates in the Red Demes but only 1 in the biggest one.

Question - as you probably noticed, every Senate Session takes 3x24h for debate and 24h for voting. Is it too much in your opinion or is it just fine?}}
{{I think it is fine. It makes sure that everyone has time to debate, vote, send candidature and propose amendments- we do a lot of things in a Senate session, so it fits.
Also, when we will have more heated up Sessions like the tutorial one... We will need time to bicker :)}}

{{ I gave the title given to the Blues to ParrotGuy }}

{{It works. Gives people in different time zones a chance to bicker.}}

{{I'm sure Decius wouldn't be opposed to getting a title. I'm currently hoping we don't lose the Crimea or they'll just be the governors of a region that doesn't exist (actually that sounds sort of fun, and to think some people say the bureaucracy needs reforms) }}

[SIZE=+1]Senator Helios IV Eliasian:[/SIZE]
I understand your reasons for attacking the Germans, Salamis, but I still do not see how this will benefit our Demes.

Last edited:
{Will the titles transfer on if I lose the election? I havent used any yet and I would like to know if its a waste to not use them.

Also, if any Red Demes want a title, you should write a paragraph about how awesome Domenico is and how you won't betray my trust when I give you a title for said paragraph.}

[SIZE=+1]Senator Helios IV Eliasian:[/SIZE]
I understand your reasons for attacking the Germans, Salamis, but I still do not see how this will benefit our Demes.
{{Italics.}}
{Will the titles transfer on if I lose the election? I havent used any yet and I would like to know if its a waste to not use them.

Also, if any Red Demes want a title, you should write a paragraph about how awesome Domenico is and how you won't betray my trust when I give you a title for said paragraph.}
{{Italics. Yes, you lose all of them. It's not like you can ignore Emperor's gift indefinitely. }}