• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What a good Basileus! Glory be to him! :)

I'm slightly curious whether the Roman Empire will release New World Colonies- right now, converting to VII will result in... a far and away dominance by Rome.

Which is cool, but might not make for interesting history.

So only Zeeland is missing and the Rhine will be your natural border up north. Koblenz on the other hand is almost all situated on the wrong side of the river (though the city of Koblenz is actually on the south bank of the Rhine!!) I tried once to have natural borders with river and mountains but it's hard! Sometimes the province shape is just too wrong! And the game kept poping border dispute on province I didn't want ("press issue" is a no brainer, isn't it...:p)

The two provinces Baden still hold were part of the roman empire, weren't they? Where was the limes between Rhine and Danube in this part of Germany?

I'm slightly curious whether the Roman Empire will release New World Colonies- right now, converting to VII will result in... a far and away dominance by Rome.

Actually, in general, how do you intend to make the VII game interesting? Because this is the time to start considering that. And unless China/Japan might suddenly Westernise... or Germany expand a lot.

Actually, in general, how do you intend to make the VII game interesting? Because this is the time to start considering that. And unless China/Japan might suddenly Westernise... or Germany expand a lot.

A spectacular and deliberate implosion and recovering the fallout from that. (who said anything about having to run over the world?) :cool:

Yes! Byzantium should come crashing down at the end of the EU3 campaign and revitalize itself in VII! It'll be so perfect!

So many replies! I'm going to reply early because this is entertaining (and because I'm bored).

That was an interesting change to your usual format, Idhrendur. :) Two things though:

Firstly, have you considered using Greek numerals, where XII (12) would instead be written as IB', assuming of course the use of the much easier to type modern keraia instead of the Byzantine overbar?

Secondly, in the letters of Konstantios, did you mean basileus, rather than basilious? In modern Greek (and quite possibly Byzantine Greek), it's pronounced something close to 'vas-i-lefs', but in Classical Greek, it would be closer to 'bassi-loose'. (It should rhyme with Zeus at any rate.)

I don't think I had known about Greek numerals before. Sadly, I've been completely unable to input Greek letters into EU3. Can't paste them, no alt-codes work, and directly inputting them into the save just gets me different characters in the code page.

As for the name, I have little idea what I'm doing. I'm curious what volksmarschall thinks regarding that. If he concurs, I'd pretty much be obligated to edit it correctly.

Ooh, the plantation owners in the New World aren't gonna like that.

Also, what year is it?

No, they are not. Maybe playing all the Assassin's Creed 4 DLCs made me a bit bloodthirsty around this update. Goodness knows I've had it planned for ages.

What a good Basileus! Glory be to him! :)

Well, I'm not sure that kind of solution is what I'd call good. Effective, most likely though.

Yes! Oh goodness yes! That's the main reason for my carefully cultivated borders in the Americas. And less visibly, my carefully edited cultural borders.

So only Zeeland is missing and the Rhine will be your natural border up north. Koblenz on the other hand is almost all situated on the wrong side of the river (though the city of Koblenz is actually on the south bank of the Rhine!!) I tried once to have natural borders with river and mountains but it's hard! Sometimes the province shape is just too wrong! And the game kept poping border dispute on province I didn't want ("press issue" is a no brainer, isn't it...:p)

The two provinces Baden still hold were part of the roman empire, weren't they? Where was the limes between Rhine and Danube in this part of Germany?

It looks completely ugly in EU3, but once I fix two or three more province mappings, it will line up neatly on NNM's state boundaries in Vic2, neatly on the Rhine. They cared a bit more about the Rhine in Vic2.

Oh, I have a plan. Also, I don't think I've ever gotten past 1890 in Vic2. So that'll help. And I plan to do my darndest to have the Emperor hold on to absolute power during that era. Should make for lots of rebellions.

A spectacular and deliberate implosion and recovering the fallout from that. (who said anything about having to run over the world?) :cool:

Insert River Song 'Spoilers' gif here (too lazy to find or create one at the moment).

Yes! Byzantium should come crashing down at the end of the EU3 campaign and revitalize itself in VII! It'll be so perfect!

Srsly, you all.

If I make it fun, maybe? Or dramatic? Maybe not a complete crash, but a reduction so I have something to do?

Yes, I have plans. They may not be enough, but I have plans. A whole story arc plotted. We'll see what the games do to me instead.

Make the colonies break away due to a big war perhaps. But let the core Empire in the Old world remain.

78. 1750 Update
1750 Update

By 1750, the Empire had finally reclaimed all of its historical holdings.
78-1.png

Eastern Europe had mostly stabilized, though Bjarmia, Novgorod, and Novgorod-Sversk had not yet succumbed to Russian consolidation.
78-2.png

In central Europe, Germany had begun the first of its wars of consolidation.
78-3.png

The only change of note in South America was a concession of land from Peru to Russia in Russia's war against Novgorod.
78-4.png

Eastern North America had changed significantly. The Huron had formed Canada and consolidated the north. The Cherokee had formed the United States of America and begun working to consolidate the plains. A few potential territorial disputes had been resolved by the Empire, with the lands under the temporary control of the Empire.
78-5.png

Western North America was a land of shifting claims, though few actual members of the claiming nations were actually present and control of the lands was nominal.
78-6.png

Eastern Africa saw Adal weakened, with Ethiopia, Swahili, and the Empire growing stronger.
78-7.png

In western Africa, Konstantios had made war on Mali to stop the slave trade at its source.
78-8.png

The settlement of Oceania had gone nearly as far as anyone considered worthwhile.
78-9.png

The Empire had advanced greatly in learning, with art and science flourishing throughout the Empire. Lonely Castile, holding only the Azores, had managed to import and apply nearly everything the Empire knew, though this was their only claim to any fame.
78-10.png

The Empire had the world's largest army (by far). Russia had the next largest, and the rulers of almost all India followed after that.
78-11.png

After the Empire, it was England and Peru that had the largest navies.
78-12.png

In the time span between 1700 and 1750, the Empire had extended yet more protection to the lower classes, though nearly everyone but the hereditary aristocrats had been shut out of the highest levels of influence and power. The merchants had given up direct influence in the government without too much fuss, as the Empire gave them more protection against outside traders. And the Imperial Corps of Engineers was proving ever useful to the Legions.
78-13.png

England, despite having been forced to abandon their homeland, had grown to be a power. The Kingdom was focused on their naval power, and on claiming as many colonies as they could. They controlled much of eastern South America, the New England region of North America, the North American south-west, and a strip of the Siberian coast. Their armies, while no match for the Legions, had proved well trained and equipped in the recent war, and their navy was the best in the world, giving even Konstantios pause.
78-14.png

Muscowy had long been spreading across the steppes, aided by the Empire, which had not wanted to manage those lands itself. After proclaiming itself the union of all Russians, it had reclaimed most of the traditional Russian heartland. Militaristic and aristocratic, who knew where it would turn next?
78-15.png

This was the world in 1750.
78-16.png

Last edited:
I've found out more than once (and always to my cost) that when Russia and Byzantium become neighbours, the Orthodox church stands for nothing. :(

Ave, Imperator! Morituri te salutant.

By 1750, the Empire had finally reclaimed all of its historical holdings.
Didn't they also hold Mesopotamia and a little more of Caledonia for a short period of time?

I'm curious to see whether liberalism emerges in the next few decades like in our reality, or if the guarantee of a few basic freedoms keeps the sans culottes content.

Stupid colonial nations, stirring up trouble...:mad: The a Emperor should take care of them, for they are an unsightly blot on the otherwise very fine world map. I am somewhat surprised that the US has such a large army.

I've found out more than once (and always to my cost) that when Russia and Byzantium become neighbours, the Orthodox church stands for nothing. :(

And when everyone but the West Africans and East Asians are orthodox? Surely this will usher in an era of peace. Right?

Ave, Imperator! Morituri te salutant.

Sounds like someone's ready for a career in the Legions (the gladiators have long since ceased to be).

Didn't they also hold Mesopotamia and a little more of Caledonia for a short period of time?

True. In fact, it's pretty hard to signify a 'greatest extent', as it contracted in some regions when it expanded in others. Still, I'm calling this good for the European stage.

I'm curious to see whether liberalism emerges in the next few decades like in our reality, or if the guarantee of a few basic freedoms keeps the sans culottes content.

The Americas are full of Republics (they might all still be noble republics, though). The rest of the world still seems pretty autocratic, but maybe I'll force the revolution on someone to make life interesting.

Stupid colonial nations, stirring up trouble...:mad: The a Emperor should take care of them, for they are an unsightly blot on the otherwise very fine world map. I am somewhat surprised that the US has such a large army.

I am rather annoyed by them. I'd have been fine with their colonies in SE Asia, but blocking Russia is just messed up. I'm still not sure what to do about it.

79. War in Africa
War in Africa

Mali was an old and rich land. Wisely led by their Imams, they had grown powerful in western Africa. The legions were able to beat Mali's armies in any battle, but had a hard time maintaining any sieges as the Malinese army would travel to where the Legions were not and put Imperial controlled regions to siege. It took two years for the Legions to find some semblance of order to the war. By 1752, the western parts of Mali were besieged by XVII. Legio, XVI. Legio was bringing the Timbuktu region under control (with constant marching by the largest part of the Legion to defeat newly raised and organized Malinese forces), IX. Legio was clearing the Guinean region of forces and beginning the critical sieges, and XII. Legio (shipped over when it was apparent Mali was not an knockover) fended off Malinese raids and dreamed of marching on the Lake Tchad region.

The war was a draining one for the Legions. In order to better recruit replacement soldiers, Konstantios tied each cohort to a particular province from which recruiters could find replacement soldiers.
79-1.png

Finally in November of 1753, Mali agreed to release Kanem Bornu and to give up a swath of territory to the Empire. Missionaries were sent to the conquered territories, and Kanem Bornu was disavowed of any ideas of alliance that they held.
79-2.png

During this war, the North Andean people had expressed dissatisfaction with the neglect their region had faced. No doubt, the fact that the North Andeans a primarily local culture that integrated themselves into the Imperial system once given the chance played a role in their independent mindset. A corrupt governor did not help their dissatisfaction, even though they were repaid for their losses.
79-3.png

Konstantios, recognizing that it would be a long time (if ever a time) before the Empire could directly administer them to a degree that made their lands worthwhile, granted them a great measure of independence.
79-4.png

During the peace while the Legions recovered, Theodoros (who was heir to the Empire and had recently had a coming out party) died of a strange fever. While Konstantios made no overt moves, he was suspicious of this death.
79-5.png

To no-one's surprise, Konstantios declared war on Kanem Bornu.

Not too long after, the Empress gave birth. The astrologer's advice was ambiguous, and Konstantios chose to remember the Greek heritage in his heir's name.
79-6.png

This proved to be a good choice, as Kanem Bornu soon after agreed to give up most of their lands.
79-7.png

As did Songhai after them. With truces yet to expire in western Africa, Konstantios looked to eastern Africa. The old cursed land of Sennar was attacked so its land could be given to Ethiopia.
79-8.png

It was during this war that Konstantios died a little too soon, leaving a regency council to rule for Alexander until his majority.
79-9.png

Last edited:
That quick after birth, it will surely be a long regency. Full of intrigue and danger, I wonder?

Let us hope that the new Emperor lives up to his namesake.