• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
wL5ONi8.png

TO JOAQUIM JOSÉ INÁCIO
Private

Senhor Inácio,

It is most kind of you to send me a cordial letter of greeting and doubly gracious to invite me to luncheon. I will be most pleased to make your acquaintance and, as well, to discuss the great events which have transpired in Portugal during the Liberal Wars as well as more recent glad tidings from Lisbon relating to the marriage of H.M. Maria II.

MONTEZEMOLO

Antonio Bagnoli leaps into a carriage at 2 o'clock in the morning. Concealed by shadows, Bagnoli hopes to go into exile. Calls for his imprisonment are real. Rumours are that he is traveling to England...

Antonio Bagnoli leaps into a carriage at 2 o'clock in the morning. Concealed by shadows, Bagnoli hopes to go into exile. Calls for his imprisonment are real. Rumours are that he is traveling to England...

((We'll get you my pretty! :p))

((Well, how much harm can one more Polandball comic do?))

CIN5qPY.png

((Well, TH3, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle....))

wL5ONi8.png

TO HIS EXCELLENCY THE MARQUESS OF VILLAMARIA
Privy Council -- Private

Your Excellency,

The nobility are not in the habit of tolerating even the slightest offence to our families’ honour. Indeed, a stray glance at a viscount’s maiden daughter during Mass is often sufficient for a duel. A word harshly spoken to a nobleman’s wife often makes mortal combat justifiable.

Indeed, if we nobles are so cautious to preserve our good reputation as to go to such great lengths and take such great risks in order to guard against even a mere unkind mention of some long deceased ancestor, are we now expected to forgive the great slander that has been leveled against our ancient families by some mad politician?

Surely not! The aristocracy will not be mocked. We demand satisfaction!

((Privy Council - Private))

Most noble Marquess of Montezemolo,

I must totally agree with your sentiments. We, in whose veins pours the blood of patricians and knights, we, whose ancestors have served our sovereigns and the country for hundreds of years, we, who have been supporting the throne of the House of Savoy since the establishment of the Kingdom, put honor and duty above anything else. When vile agitators try to tarnish our reputation, when they break the laws of our land, when they insult the Crown, we find it abhorent and demand satisfaction.

But our enemies do not know what honor is - and do not know that a man should be courageous enough to answer for his actions and for his words, if he utters them. It has been reported to me that the cowardly politician has fled the country, escaping from justice - like a lackey who slanders his master behind his back, but does not dare to face him. However the followers of his path, path of anarchy and Jacobinism, are still in the country.

I must also express my deepest respect to Your Excellency and hope that you would soon grant me the honor of dining with me.

- Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina

wL5ONi8.png

ADDRESS TO THE PRIVY COUNCIL
Privy Council -- Private

Gentlemen,

Rumours are spreading that Sig. Bagnoli, the author of an offensive pamphlet that has been circulating the streets of Turin, has taken flight to England. Why such a firebrand would choose the cold shores of Inghilterra for exile is perplexing. The English Aristocracy are perhaps even more set in their ways than the ancient patricians of Sardinia. One can’t imagine that England will provide fertile ground for the radical ideas that Sig. Bagnoli brings with him.

Of course, if these rumours are indeed true, steps must be taken with the British Embassy to secure the extradition of Bagnoli, so that he may be brought to justice. It would be irresponsible on our part to allow such an agitator to escape the firm discipline of the law.

Despite the remarks published in Bagnoli’s leaflets – remarks that have caused grave offense to the King and the Aristocracy—we ought not to treat him too harshly. If he has truly fled to England, we can perhaps derive some satisfaction in the knowledge that Sig. Bagnoli, having to consume English food, will have endured sufficient torture.

MONTEZEMOLO​

In recognition of the relative youth and inexperience of the new admirals, the wittier sailors penned a song:

When I was a lad I served a term
As office boy to an attorney's firm
I cleaned the windows and I swept the floor
And I polished up the handle of the big front door
He polished up the handle of the big front door
I polished up that handle so carefully
That now I am the Ruler of the King's Navy
He polished up that handle so carefully
That now he is the Ruler of the King's Navy

As office boy I made such a mark
That they gave me the post of a junior clerk
I served the writs with a smile so bland
And I copied all the letters in a big round hand
He copied all the letters in a big round hand
I copied all the letters in a hand so free
He copied all the letters in a hand so free

In serving writs I made such a name
That an articled clerk I soon became
I wore clean collars and a brand-new suit
For the Pass Examination at the Institute
For the Pass Examination at the Institute
And that Pass Examination did so well for me
That Pass Examination did so well for he

Of legal knowledge I acquired such a grip
That they took me into the partnership
And that junior partnership I ween
Was the only ship that I ever had seen
Was the only ship that he ever had seen
But that kind of ship so suited me
But that kind of ship so suited he

I grew so rich that I was sent
By a pocket borough into Parliament
I always voted at my party's call
And I never thought of thinking for myself at all
No, he never thought of thinking for himself at all
I thought so little, they rewarded me
By making me the Ruler of the King's Navy
He thought so little, they rewarded he
By making him the Ruler of the King's Navy

Now, landsmen all, whoever you may be
If you want to rise to the top of the tree
If your soul isn't fettered to an office stool
Be careful to be guided by this golden rule
Be careful to be guided by this golden rule
Stick close to your desks and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of the King's Navy
Stick close to your desks and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of the King's Navy

[video=youtube;3gN6ODUPMNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gN6ODUPMNE[/video]​

Name:
Marzio Pedrotti
349px-FC3A9lix_Nadar_1820-1910_portraits_EugC3A8ne_Delacroix_restored.jpg

Born:
September 8, 1800
Class:
Politican
Background:
Marzio Pedrotti was the second son of a merchant family in Cagliari and grew up surrounded by the Napoleonic Wars. He grew up on Sardinia and received his education there. It was in Sardinia that Pedrotti began to harden as a fierce opponent to the liberalism of the French Revolution and as a proponent for isolationism. In the aftermath of the wars he settled in the Aosta Valley region and established a successful law practice. For his efforts he began to be affectionately nicknamed "Contadino Salvatore." Eventually he decided to branch out from local law and pursue a career representing the people of the region- and fighting against liberalism.

Last edited:
218px-Albero_Eradicato_del_Giudicato_di_Arborea.svg.png

Conte di Arborea

((Privy Council- Private))

Signore, this brand of Jacobin radicalism which has spread like the plague in Genova must be snuffed out and destroyed. However as we are nobility of our great Kingdom we must set an example for the common people to follow. We must act benevolently, yet ruthlessly when dealing with revolutionary filthy. I also still give my support to His Excellency, the Marquis di Villamarina, to assume the post of Prime Minister.

~Conte Luigi Maria di Arborea

[Prime Minister- Marquis di Villamarina]

((Private letter - Secret))

To Agostino Epifano Gonzaga, Marquess of Monferatto

My most dear nephew,

I am writing this letter, while travelling in a carriage. I am going to the royal palace to report to the King on the Bagnoli affair, of which you are clearly aware of.

Your service in the Privy Council certainly takes place during dangerous and turmolous times. We see old models of government being radically renovated, we see new political forces and entities emerge - and unless reasonable people master the tide, our Kingdom might drown in the waves of anarchy, dying as a baby cannot sometimes survive its birth. Il Re and the realm now demand our service, more that ever. We must do our utmost the ancient principles that have binded and will always bind the country together, working for the good of the King and our people.

This is why your uncle, and not because of some private ambitions quite allien to his station and way of life, after long administrative and diplomatic service has turned to parliamentary politics, leading the I Tradizionalisti party. I must say that I was proud and happy, when you stood near me.

Still I believe that our country, under the wise guidance of the Monarch, would gradually emerge stronger than ever. A vast majority of our people are pious, law-abiding, loyal to the King and our traditions. With our assistance, they would be able to overcome the attempts of the vile revolutionaries to corrupt them - and we would be able to guarantee peace, order and happiness in the country. You must always remember that we, aristocrats, have many rights - but even more responsibilities. We exist to serve the Sovereign and the nation - and must do that selflessly and honorably.

Tell me, how do you find your service in the Privy Council - and what do you think about the latest events? How is your lovely wife, has she accustomed to the lifestyle of the capital? What does she think about career in the government - I know that many women now recommend their husbands to keep away from public affairs, for do not know what to expect from the new regime.

I also want to enquire, whether you currently need any assistance from me. You now that I promised my sister to always be at your service, and I do care very much about your well-being.

VILLAMARINA

Last edited:
Taking a cue from the Navy, a ditty is composed specifically in honour of Major General Honoré Sebastiano Giovanni Pico della Pes, Count of Santa-Maria Di Leuca:

I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's;
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;
I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies,
I know the croaking chorus from The Frogs of Aristophanes!
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore,
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.
Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform,
And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform:
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,

In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin",
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin,d
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat",
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery –
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy –
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,

[video=youtube;zSGWoXDFM64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSGWoXDFM64[/video]​

((private - for viola's eyes only))
Antonio Bagnoli sends a letter from his residence of exile. He was busy writing a new pamphlet when noticed the actions of a certain "Alessandro "Liberta" Zecchni. He hastily composes a letter to the radical.

Dear Alessandro "Libertà" Zecchini,

I have noticed that we share similar aims. Perhaps an alliance would be beneficial for Liberty and Equality.

Our views are radical and ahead of our time, but they are views that all humans should hold.

If you know of anyone else who hold these views, please invite them as well. I will await your response.

- Antonio Bagnoli

A Short Editorial is listed in several newspapers, primarily in Torino and Genoa.

Sulla La Nobiltà, Il Volgo, ed i Pericoli di Genova
On The Nobility, Common People, and the Perils of Genoa

Contemplazioni di Benito Carli

An early and perilous crossroads has come upon this Kingdom and the corresponding reactions appear to be incendiary rabble-rousing on one end and tight lipped defiance on the other. I therefore humbly bring present contemplations of my own, an opinion of Benito Carli's, a former Independent successfully swayed to the cause of I Pretoriani for my love of Country and its people is limitless in its fervor. That said, I would believe that the proper and most necessary discourse for this nation's progress is one of civility. If the leaders of this nation, both official and unofficial, Traditionalist and Liberal, wish to achieve a successful, strong, and moral state that bypasses the dangerous roads of unrest then all good men must hold themselves in the discourse of proper gentlemen.

Beyond that if this nation is not to come to a situation of understanding, and early then the future bodes ill. It is clear and apparent that The Constitutional Principles Act has indeed incited outrage and rampant distrust amongst those on the radical left. It would appear that the Act serve as a disservice to the goals of the government and the Crown under further consideration. The Act rather clearly outlines that the ideals and values of Republicanism would have no place in the the heart of a member of Parliament lest he wish to be able to continue his service in said Parliament. Yet, what this achieves is a silencing of the political aspect of the Republican camp. When the political aspects of an ideology are snuffed out, when the most potent voice of an ideology is silenced, it only serves to force the adherents of the ideology down a path of radicalism. Ending the ability to convey ones ideas through traditional means, one will turn to any other means possible, those means often the flame and rock. By interpreting the laws of our Kingdom in such a way it may very well or rather already has begun to incite and radicalize the populace in Genoa. Through this line of thought it can be seen that the Act would serve as truly counter-productive. Although many disagreements can and will be made, we can surely all concur that it is likely not God's will to see Christian blood spilt on the streets of Genoa.

Though I argue this now, I would like to clarify that I myself, though an honest liberal, would not describe myself as particularly Republican. Yet I still present my opinion above because above all I believe the safety of the citizens of this Kingdom must always be remembered and I see no bright end for us if we bicker until we must fight and fight until we must war and war until we must bleed.

((TH, can I try to make this declaration public? Cause further unrest and such?))

((You may certainly try... It does not, however, directly increase unrest however inflammatory the statement might be.))

((You can try. There is a high chance of failure however.))

((There is a low chance of failure that escalates with censorship of the press.))

((From a state-approved paper))

Zecchini Released!

"Well-known firebrand Alessandro 'Libertà' Zecchini was released from custody today after having been caught trespassing on the private property in Turin. Though authorities declined to state where exactly Zecchini was detained, an anonymous source has informed us that police believe Zecchini was attempting to eavesdrop on the proceedings of the King's Privy Council. Authorities questioned the suspect for several hours before releasing him, having brought no charge against him. A police spokesman said Zecchini had been found unarmed and there was no reason to believe that he was attempting any criminal mischief beyond causing a minor disturbance. Zecchini himself has yet to comment on his arrest."

((Alessandro Zecchini [viola] has failed to make public the secret proceedings of the privy council and the statement he selected, and was very nearly arrested in the attempt.))

Press and Printing Freedom Bill

Preamble - The Press and Printing Freedom Bill seeks to elaborate on the freedoms granted by the Statuto Albertino in the press, and seeks to empower his Majesty's government in limiting abuses of these freedoms.

i. This bill reaffirms the right of freedom of the press, detailed under the Statuto Albertino, understanding that it is the right of all Piedmontese subjects to freely create, print, and distribute written material, without hindrance or edit by his Majesty's Government unless it is in the interest of national security or public safety to do so, as defined in this bill.

ii. Published written material can be confiscated or edited by his Majesty's Government, and it's relevant local authorities, on two grounds;
a. In contempt of the interests of national security, which includes, but is not limited to; confidential information about the wellbeing of His Majesty; non-public information relating to Piedmont's military; the identity or activities of informants for His Majesty, both within Piedmont and without; the content of Privy Council meetings without the consent of the Privy Council itself; material that seeks to provoke or anger neighboring states; and information that would subvert the stability and wellbeing of the state if made public.
b. In contempt of public safety, which includes, but is not limited to; material that incites Piedmontese subjects to riot; material that incites mutiny or rebellion within his Majesty's military; the questioning of the legitimacy of his Majesty to rule the state of Piedmont, in favour of a Republic; inciting the overthrow of his Majesty's government by violent means; material which is sympathetic to persons whom have rebelled against his Majesty, or the cause for which they rebelled; and publishing material that is blasphemous or morally reprehensible.

iii. Published written material, which meets the requirements outlined in Article II, may be confiscated by the relevant local authority, and edited or destroyed as seen fit by said local authority or his Majesty's Government, and otherwise removed from circulation. Copies of said written material may be retained as evidence of further crimes by its author.

iv. To write, print, or publish written material which meets the requirements outlined in Article II is punishable by two to five years of imprisonment, in addition to other crimes which the written material is itself evidence of.

v. An author of said written material has the right to appeal the decision by the local authority to a civil law court, whereupon the judiciary shall deliberate on whether the aforementioned written material meets the requirements outlined in Article II.

~ Camillo Asti Angelino

wL5ONi8.png

ADDRESS TO THE PRIVY COUNCIL

On the Freedom of the Press and the Bagnoli Pamphlets

Privy Council -- Private

Philosophers and theorists, in focusing on the concept of Liberty, have, in eloquent speeches and lengthy dissertations, conveyed to their listeners and readers their thoughts on the subject of the freedom of the press.

One cannot be too often reminded of Socrates, whose opinions came into direct and calamitous collision with the power of the State. One ought not to forget the example of the early Christian martyrs who proclaimed the Gospel despite imperial persecution. Indeed, there is perhaps no more compelling case for freedom of expression than the recollection of that travesty at Golgotha, where an individual -- who has left so enduring an impression on mankind that we, centuries later, continue to revere Him as Almighty God -- was sentenced to death as a blasphemer. The cross at Calvary is the most potent symbol and decisive argument in favour of Liberalism.

Yet if the example of ancient philosophers, saints and Christ Himself should make so persuasive a case for the freedom of the press, how can it be said that the publications of Sig. Bagnoli should be censored?

This is a question which I have been contemplating, and a question which I invite you, esteemed colleagues, likewise to consider.

Only the most ardent supporters of the ideas espoused by Sig. Bagnoli would liken him to the esteemed tutor of Plato or the venerable martyrs in the coliseum. Even a most generous appraisal of Bagnoli’s pamphlet or his circumstances precludes such a comparison. Furthermore, it must be acknowledged from the outset that there are distinct differences between, on one hand, the trial of Socrates, the judgement of Pilate, and the Diocletian Persecutions, and, on the other hand, the balanced judicial system of the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont.

Such distinctions cannot easily be ignored, and there is a case to be made within the tenets of Liberalism, for limitations on the freedom of the press. Indeed, it is for this reason that King Charles Albert — whose sympathies for liberalism are not unknown — included in Article 28 of the Constitution, provisions for both the freedom of the press as well as means to curtail the abuse of such freedom.

La Stampa sarà libera, ma una legge ne reprime gli abusi.
The press shall be free, but the law may suppress abuses of this freedom.

It falls to us, gentlemen, to define the perimeters within which freedom of the press is to be enjoyed.

MONTEZEMOLO​

((This looks really cool, I am very keen on this. :) (Long time lurker, first time poster, etc. etc. ad lib ad nauseum)

I was going to play as a militarist, but it looks like there's already too many to be practical/fun, so now I dunno who to play as. ThunderHawk3, is there any class you think is underrepresented and need somebody to be?

Cheers in advance, really looking forward to this.))