• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you have all of Mexico's starting land plus Central America (or at least El Salvador), I'm pretty sure you have all the resources in the game somewhere in your territory besides silk, which you'll have so much oil you can spare a bit to build a synthetic silk factory late game.

But you need immigrants (because Mexico is empty), and those gold rushes really help.

Good luck against Texas (and the other Mexican rebels), and be sure to edit the save file to rename the Houston province after Santa Anna instead of that dirty traitor Sam Houston.
It is true that Mexico and Central America are home to a wide variety of resources. You're wrong, of course, we don't have horses here. :p

Either way, the premise behind your post is correct, and by the end of the game, the Texans should be assimilated one way or another, regardless of whether I'm able to take and keep Texas. If I don't get them, the Americans will.

Chapter 1: The Texan War of Independence and Immigrants

8L04b0y.jpg
As has been said in the comments section, immigrants are very important for filling up the big empty deserts and mountains that make up Mexico. In addition to that, this modifier should help me grow my population quite a bit, especially as I plan to rush Basic Chemistry and Medicine. And yes, there is clearly something in the water. This is Mexico. :D

VoyEh5s.jpg
And he we have a nice view of the province modifier for the Gold Rush. what's this you're saying about it being slightly "overpowered"? Just because it makes immigrants 10x more likely to settle on a province with the most valuable good in the game while also significantly buffing your immigrant attraction, and increases Liferating both in the long and short term doesn't mean that it's overpowered. :p Anyways, this is how provinces go from being adorable little desert towns to the 2nd and 3rd largest cities I own. Spoiler. :p

cz357rN.jpg
Or maybe I should just show you this. The population of Derango starts at around 8,000. After just a few months it's already more than doubled. And it actually kept up a range of immigration between 2,400 and 3,000 immigrants a month for quite a few months. It won't be long before this province grows to 10 times, 20 times, and even 30 times its original size. And this is just one of 5 provinces that Mexico owns at the start that will have a Gold Rush.

Speaking of immigrants and province growth, I mentioned that I had both of my provinces focused on Immigrants, and that I wanted to try and out-compete the US for potential residents.

W6giBtn.jpg
And it seems like the United States has a respectable 1600 immigrants a month right out of the gate. I wonder how we fare in comparison. :unsure:

QVpvzBR.jpg
Yes, I was trying to build drama there. :D If it worked, then good for me, although it really shouldn't have, considering that the screenshot of my gold province was taken before this one, and that province alone is receiving 1100 more immigrants per month than the US is here. Shortly, these numbers will even out closer to a 2,000 to 3,000 ratio, with myself still having the advantage, so I'm happy with my national Foci right now.

But wait, am I not missing something? Isn't there supposed to be a war with Texas or something? Of course there is! Actually, it was fairly anticlimactic. I marched one army that was fairly shoddy across a river into the Texan army, and it lost and was forced to retreat. Some of my units that I had recently built, as well as some other starting troops reinforced, and were able to rout the Texans back onto Texan soil, where they were promptly defeated in their entirety, and many prisoners were taken. I spent some time besieging their land in order to enact my peace deal, and eventually I ended up with a screen like this:

Wait for it. Wait for it! Wait for iiiiiiiiit!

HMtOWfV.jpg
This time I bet I got most, if not all of you. What? Did you seriously expect me to try and siege down Texas, only to take ridiculous war exhaustion via the Santa Anna event, only to have the United States come in and raise my war exhaustion, dragging the war out and hurting my economy? The Texans just aren't worth it. :D I'll be faced with war prospects with the US in 1845 anyway, although I doubt I'll actually fight them there either. This game I'm hoping to focus on Central and South America, and turtling up economically and politically. The less time I'm at war with the US, the lower my War Exhaustion, the better my economy, and the more immigrants I get. While it's true that those lands up north hold all kind of fantastic shinies, they just aren't worth the lives of honest Mexican soldiers and workers.

jIfMq00.jpg
So to complete my second update of the Day (depending on where you live), and in order to explain why I hate Presidential Dictatorship so much, we have the above informative screenshot. No voting, no elections, no alternatie parties, no possiblitites, no reforms, fewer immigrants, less fun.

And with the risk of spoiling, I am just going to tell all of you not to worry about the Presidential Dictatorship my people live under. Soon we shall have elections and equal representation for all!

Next time in: The Southern Eagle: A Mexico AAR!

And a happy Halloween to those in America who celebrate it! :)

Last edited:
Dang. That surprised me, but I suppose keeping Senor America away is a pretty smart move. Subbed.

Dang. That surprised me, but I suppose keeping Senor America away is a pretty smart move. Subbed.
Also, I may have forgotten to mention that the "Santa Anna Event" involves me gaining 50 WE, or white-peacing out. Either way, it's an event that can really hurt Mexico in the early stages of the game, and I don't really know if it's even possible to conquer Texas before the event fires.

Ok, hopefully I'll have another update out soon, but first I'd like to address the pace that I'm updating at. Frankly, this was a good time for me to get a lot of updates out quickly, and you guys shouldn't expect it to continue. I'll try and update whenever I can, but it might not be on a daily basis during the Week. Hopefully, I should be able to get at least one or two updates out every week.

Chapter 2: The Central American Wars; Part 1

4q0G0mT.jpg
As we can see in the image, Durango temporarily reached a population growth that was scarily close to being half of my total population growth. Think 40%. Clearly, this province will soon be one of my most profitable, if it isn't already.

byoakWp.jpg
Next, nicely highlighted and underlined in red, we have something that I unbelievably forget to screenshot. We have declared war on the USCA, which has already started to break up. At this point, and shortly thereafter, I am also able to justify wars to Annex both Nicaragua and Honduras. I declare war with the hope of taking the province of Tapachula in the Chiapas region, which starts as my core. War with the USCA will also in effect yield me military access to Honduras and Nicaragua for when I declare war on them.

PD18WZr.jpg
As we can see, I clearly have the military superiority over the USCA, in sheer numbers if nothing else. I am able to quickly overrun the USCA's army (this is it, folks), and begin sieging their provinces out two at a time. Everything is going according to plan.

qIWUCmd.jpg
This screenie contains a lot, so I'll take us through it step by step. Grabbing our attention in the center is the event proclaiming Culiacan a Gold province. This province happens to be in the same state as Durango, so the population of that state should grow significantly more than any other. As well, fewer immigrants will move to Durango, preferring Culiacan since, in effect, there's no difference between them. To the left of the event we can see "chula" slanted diagonally on the screen. Tapachula has already been sieged, and since it was the wargoal, I'm doing pretty good here. To the right of the screen we can see more bad guys marching towards us. These are NOT USCA troops, instead I believe that they are Nicaraguans marching into battle with us (I think I declared war on Nicaragua first). As we can see, I have a fairly comfortable troop advantage across the theater, and also am sieging or have sieged all but one USCA province. (El Salvador doesn't count, as it will soon be independent) This should be a cakewalk.

soquQZH.jpg
Basic Chemistry completes in the middle of the War, so I decide to improve my military tech. But why am I not getting Muzzle Loaded Rifles or Artillery tech? In PoD, military technology has been rebalanced. Researching this tech is very important for me, as it doubles the base organization for my troops, meaning that they can stay in battles twice as long, and also stand a much better chance when outnumbered. Anyways, nothing of note really happens for a short while, as the Central American States can't really hold up to big brother Mexico, and pretty soon the situation looks like this:

thD7Xoi.jpg
Wait, what? Didn't I just say that we had a massive military advantage, and that everything was going fine? Why are our enemies sieging back USCA lands? Surely Honduras entering the war didn't have that big of an effect?

HUbltZA.jpg
Hmm, Spain's at war now. They are still a Great Power, and their military is definitely on par with Mexico, probably better. Maybe this is the reason that the war is swinging around?

r0RM4MJ.jpg
Yeah, if you thought that, you were dead wrong. Turns out that rebels are annoying. Provinces sieged by rebels provide just as much War Exhaustion as provinces sieged by enemy nations, so taking out these guys pronto was my number 1 priority. And as you can see from the screenshot, taken just 11 days after the previous two, we're pretty good at stomping rebels. :) (But I would keep an eye on the budget there, that's looking pretty red.)

bbRi9xw.jpg
So, with the rebels defeated, we march back South with a general that is so bad, that having no leader is actually significantly better. This should end well.

4HJ2cu0.jpg
But clearly, despite not having good leaders, we should win these battles. We have overwhelming numerical superiority, and their troops are probably worse than mine. I attempt to pincer them in with both armies in the Yucatan.

YSTMhxT.jpg
Unfortunately, the majority of the troops manage to get away. All of those lumbering artillery can slow an army down, especially with poor leaders. Luckily, I am able to trap these men after quickly beating down their comrades. With the Central American troops defeated for now, the War is looking good. Or is it.

Spanish ships have been sighted off the coast of Mexico, and they're blockading my fleet (which was built in order to land troops in Nicaragua or Honduras, if need be), and I'm actually very surprised that they haven't landed a nice big 30k stack on me.

TrVSG9y.jpg
Before we get to that point, I'd just like to celebrate the first step in the long road to, hopefully, industrial might; my first Factory! :D

Anyways, what was that about ominous reversals of fortune, what's going on? Let's see.

mM2I0aI.jpg
Son of a ... And they sieged out my best province first! :eek:

Ok, that's it, no mercy for these rebel punks! :angry:

Fighting Rebels, Next time on: The Southern Eagle: A Mexico AAR!

Last edited:
Chapter 2: The Central American Wars; Part 2

UDJy7WQ.png
I'd like to start out this update by apologizing to Metalinvader665, whom I told we did not have horses. Clearly, Horses are our 2nd biggest export, so I'm wrong.

Moving on to the more relevant stuff, here you can see me engaging one of the rebel stacks. Clearly I have a definitive advantage in numbers, but there are other rebel stacks, and I might not always have this. The most worrying thing here is a problem that I predicted; lack of organization. multiple times while dealing with these rebels I would be forced to retreat with one of my armies because I ran out of organization, and had to bring in a new army to finish them off. Luckily, I'm already researching a tech that will help out my organization levels.

Here we can see two things. One, my fleet finishing building. At this point I have decided that a direct assault on my enemies is the best option, and a transport fleet will get me past Central American armies. More worryingly, my WE is starting to rise, as my enemies are easily able to siege down my unfortified lands, as are the rebels. War Exhaustion destroys the economy and increases militancy, which can spawn more rebellions.

Immigrants also don't like going to country's with War Exhaustion, and we can clearly see this reflected by the lowered numbers of immigrants. Fortunately, part of this is just my land being under siege, so if I am able to kill off these rebels, I should be able to regain parity with the US fairly easily.

Natalia. 'Nuff said.

And we get our first major rebellion event, and at just about the worst timing to boot. Rio Grande has broken away from my Empi Republic and I've decided to fight in order to bring it back. Luckily, I have managed to kill off most of the rebels at this point, and my second army is chasing down the last few off screen. Unfortunately, a lot of events came in fairly quickly, and I forgot to take screenshots of this event firing, or of my white peace with the USCA and Spain. White Peace because Los Altos rebelled, taking the province of Tapachula, my wargoal, with it. But Los Altos is just a one province minor, and I do have a core on it, so it should be easy to take out later.

And here we see for the first time the state of my various wars. At this point I've just about finished off the rebels, but haven't sieged down any of Rio Grande's provinces yet. Why am I losing the war with Nicaragua so convincingly? Mostly because their army has been siegeing through a lot of my southern provinces while I dealt with rebels.

And this is my plan for Rio Grande. Kill their first brigade, then double back and stand on Monterrey, where the majority of their brigades will mobilize. After sieging through that, besiege my way to their capital.

But how has the economy fared in all of this? Not good. War Exhaustion and sieges have really started to hurt the RGO output, and this is reflected by a deficit, despite raising tariffs and taxes to max, and cutting administrative and education. We can't keep these wars up for long without going bankrupt; we're already heavily in debt.

Luckily I have a plan. I take my army with the horrible general, which is fresh off of killing the rest of the rebels, and I load it on a boat. Soon, these troops will be marching towards Honduras' capital.

But first we'll stop off and kill Honduras' last remaining brigade in the Yucatan. :D

And then we invade. :)

We've managed to recoup a lot of those immigrants now that the Rebels are gone, a positive sign for the future.

As well we've met with no resistance in Honduras, and Nicaragua seems open for the taking.

And it's a pretty good thing that we're making progress in these wars, otherwise we'd be in serious trouble, as Nicaragua's army is, for the moment, untouched in Southern Mexico.

I decide to put a stop to this. Color-coded for greater Viewer enjoyment, stage one of my battle plan. Move out of Rio Grande, their army and nation are much less threatening than Nicaragua's. On the way, we'll attempt to engage the last Rio Grandean troops.

Next, we'll engage the Nicaraguans in the South. We have our better general in this army, and we outnumber them, so hopefully we'll be able to beat them. From their we...

Siege through the provinces that Nicaragua's taken. Hopefully this will drive down our War Exhaustion gain, and we'll be able to stabilize our economy quickly once the Wars are over.

Meanwhile in Honduras we'll siege out the capital, and then the rest of the country to force them to surrender, and reduce one more war.

Afterwards we'll hook south into Nicaragua, and siege out their entire country, hopefully forcing a surrender from them as well.

This is the plan. This is the time. We will not stop until we succeed.

We Are. Mexico.

Last edited:
Looks like your doing FANTASTIC, dealing with all those rebal scum :)
Where al those rebals some kind of nationalists? Or where some just trying to make a kingdom/democracy?

you are in a pretty bad situation... but i am sure that you will win!

glory to mexico!

go for Colombia, Venezuela, and ecuador next!

Go! Go! Go Mexico!

Mexico must become the only America! By the way, which states are you colonizing first?

Looks like your doing FANTASTIC, dealing with all those rebal scum :)
Where al those rebals some kind of nationalists? Or where some just trying to make a kingdom/democracy?
Do I sense some sarcasm there? :D Anyways, there were all sorts of rebels, Jacobin, reactionaries, more Jacobins, more reactionaries.

you are in a pretty bad situation... but i am sure that you will win!

glory to mexico!

go for Colombia, Venezuela, and ecuador next!
Well, we'll see about that. I have actually played ahead, so I know what's going to happen. I will say this much, I am going for the panama canal.

Go! Go! Go Mexico!
We'll try, and thanks for subscribing!

Mexico must become the only America! By the way, which states are you colonizing first?
I don't know if we have time to take all of their land, but I'll certainly try and outdo them. Anyways, thank you for inadvertently pointing out one of the differences between PoD and the base game. In PoD, Mexico doesn't start out as a secondary power, so we can't colonize any of the untouched interior of NA.

Well, you've certainly landed yourself in a fine situation. At this rate, it shouldn't be long until you've returned the rebellious USCA into the fold; their population, although somewhat sparse and limited by the 30 or so liferating of many of their provinces will still serve you well.

Are you planning any colonial conquests outside of Latin America in order to bolster your strength?

Well, you've certainly landed yourself in a fine situation. At this rate, it shouldn't be long until you've returned the rebellious USCA into the fold; their population, although somewhat sparse and limited by the 30 or so liferating of many of their provinces will still serve you well.

Are you planning any colonial conquests outside of Latin America in order to bolster your strength?
We'll see what happens with Central America. ;)

As to your other question, yes. :D

Jeez, Mexico is having some pretty spread out enemies, but it's good to see that you're rolling with the punches and taking care of all your problems. Those USCA separatists will wonder one day why they decided to leave glorious Mexico.

Chapter 2: The Central American Wars; Part 3

When we last left off I was moving my armies according to my battle-plan, hoping to subdue Central America.

I decide to deviate slightly from my plan in order to track down the last Rio Grandean troops. Initially, they were outpacing my forces, so I quickly separated my artillery from the army, allowing them to catch up later. This move allows me to catch and easily rout the last forces from Rio Grande.

Meanwhile, in Honduras, I have just sieged down the enemy capital. From here, my forces march West, hoping that just one more province will prove enough to get the Hondurans to surrender.

Simultaneously running down the last routing troops while also hooking up my artillery for the showdown with the Nicaraguan army nearing my capital. What Nicaraguan army? And How close are they to my capital?

THAT Nicaraguan Army. And just in case you can't tell (which is likely), Mexico City is just West of Puebla. Again, if you missed it, my army has regrouped and marched south. In the photo, they are just outside of Oaxaca. Soon, the two armies will meet, and one will triumph.It should be noted that I have the numbers advantage and they hold the organizational advantage, though in both cases this is relatively minor.

We don't get the best of starts, and the enemy has a terrain advantage, but I do have the army composition advantage, with regulars, dragoons, and artillery against simple infantry.

However, the battle soon takes a nasty turn, and we roll low numbers while they maintain higher rolls. Because of the low organization in early game battles, they don't last long, and we are soon forced to rout. Luckily, the AI elects not to follow me, though I am unable to follow them due to low replenishment in both numbers and organization. This is a result of my faltering economy, as War Exhaustion isn't looking any prettier here.

Luckily, the other front brings glorious news! Honduras folded after 75% of their country was occupied by my army. From here, my men should be able to march into Nicaragua unopposed.

In the mean time, Nicaragua keeps sending me these annoying messages that give me even more War Exhaustion (Uggghhhhh), and Militancy (Thanks a lot, AI :angry:). I turn them down every time, but in doing so my WE rises even higher, into seriously dangerous levels.

And here we have why every single message for peace carries that weight. It is clear that we are losing the war. But while my first army in the homeland is skirting around the Nicaraguan forces, the second army has marched in and started sieging the Nicaraguan capital of Leon.

And it pays dividends, as we quickly blitz through the capital province. But just how many dividends has it paid?

Let's find out.

Dramatic pause.

40 % War Score isn't bad. It isn't bad at all. :D Hopefully, from here we can continue sieging the Nicaraguan homeland until they cave.

But before my celebrations can really swing into motion, this happens:

Oh, great! :) A new nation called... the Republic... of... Yucatan... Why me? Oh well, let's see how bad it is this time.

Great, good for me. *sigh*

Well, until next time, then, in ...

The Southern Eagle: A Mexico AAR!