• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Prime Ministers of Belgium

The Kingdom of Belgium
Term DatesNameParty
1836-1841Maximiliaan van BrabantMLP
1841-1845Michel DaretMLP
1845-1846Jean-François van der WyngaertMLP
1846-1851Jacques-Anne de BeauffortCCP
1851-1856Martin de GraafMLP
1856-1863Jacques-Anne de BeauffortCCP
1863-1871Luc PoissonUP
1871-1881Franz WolffCA
1881-1886Jean-Joseph de St. SebastienCL
1886-1891Pierre SavarinNDP
1891-1895Alexandre de LannoyCL
1895-1899Pierre SavarinNDP
1899-1904J. B. H. van der WyngaertLDP
1904-1909Frédéric BurkeBSU
1909-1911J. B. H. van der WyngaertLDP
1911-1913Philippe-Auguste de BroquevilleBNF
1913-1916Joséphine SavarinNDP

The Belgian Republic

Term DatesNameParty
1916-1919Amedée DupointeBSU
1919-1921Pierre SavarinNDP
1921-1926Gerrard van PrinstererBSU
1926Léon-Philippe van de WerveCCU
1926-1931Robert-Marie d'UrselCCU
1931-1941Maarten LoewenBSU
1941-1945Nazi Occupation
1945-1946Maarten LoewenBSU
1946-1951Cathy BrigodeNDP
1951-1956Georges SavarinNDP
1956-1965Ernst MüllerCCU
1965-1968Pierre DahaenBSU
1968-1973Laurens VanderhoofPP
1973-1975Willems LucassenDP
1975-1980Paul DefraigneBSU
1980-1984Laurens VanderhoofPP
1984-1989Nicolas van der WyngaertBSU
1989-1991Laurens VanderhoofPP
1991-1994Martin SeegerBSU
1994-1999Victorine de RiemaeckerPP
1999-2004Heinrich DieterDP
2004-2009Charles PoirotBSU
2009-2014Leo EyskensPP

Presidents of the Belgian Republic

Term DatesNameParty
1916-1926Joséphine SavarinNDP
1926Quinten FontaineLDP
1926-1931Léon-Philippe van de WerveCCU
1931-1941Nicephore MagaLDP
1941-1945Nazi Occupation
1945-1951Fréderic de KlerkLDP
1951-1956Denis KloetenNDP
1956-1959Georges SavarinNDP
1959-1964Jean-Luc TraverCCU
1964-1968Daniël AldenkampBSU
1968-1973Ernst MüllerCCU
1973-1978Alexandra BecqBSU
1978-1979Georges CeysensPP
1979-1984Hendrick LoewenBSU
1984-1989Paul DefraigneBSU
1989-1994Nicolas van der WyngaertBSU
1994-2004Fernand van de WervePP
2004-2009Peter van HoosDP
2009-2014Wilhelm VanderhoofPP

Key

BNFBelgian National FrontDPDemocratic Party
BSUBelgian Social UnionLDPLiberal Democratic Party
CACentrist AllianceMLPModerate Liberal Party
CCPCatholic Crown PartyNDPNational Democratic Party
CCUChristian Conservative UnionPPProgressive Party
CLConservative LeagueUPUnionist Party

Last edited:
((Wow, some important errors there, DB. :( First, what exactly is the timeline for the '50s and '60s? Did Muller not complete his second term that began in 1961? Or was Parliament dissolved in '63? Second, Muller was a CCUer, I never said anything about him joining the PP. Third, the PP merged with the CCU in '92 -- get those other guys outta there!))

Kristina van den Berg (1860 - 1940)

Kristina continued to provide free healthcare to those in need after her political career. When the second world war started, she went to work in a field hospital, were she died during a German bombing raid in 1940.

Wilhelm de Leeuw (1890-1954)

When the second world war broke out, he once again gained an important position in the military. He fought bravely against the German troops in 1940 and headed a Belgian unit during the liberation of France. However, when the war was over and he showed sympathy to the Soviet Union in public, he was put on a side track, and finally he was dismissed entirly. As he couldn't handle being forgotten once more, he attempted suicide in 1954.

Ernest 'vriend' van't Boske (1885 - ???

Leading the communist recistance during the second world war, he fought fiercely German war machine, while attempting to delay the allied advance to Belgium as much as he could, to let the Red Army march into Brussels. Sadly enough, he failed. Just before the Iron Curtain divided east and west, he migrated to the USSR. Not much is known about his live in the USSR, but he seemed to be a high ranking official within the NKVD. The time he died is unknown, but it is estimated to be around the height of the cold war, between 1956-1966)

((Wow, some important errors there, DB. :( First, what exactly is the timeline for the '50s and '60s? Did Muller not complete his second term that began in 1961? Or was Parliament dissolved in '63? Second, Muller was a CCUer, I never said anything about him joining the PP. Third, the PP merged with the CCU in '92 -- get those other guys outta there!))

((His term ending in '63 is a hangover from an earlier revision – mea culpa – though his government lasting after '65 would go against the canon as established by Nicolas van der Wyngaert's biography, so if we could compromise and have Müller's term end then I'd be eternally grateful. I misinterpreted the split as being the death of the CCU and therefore lumped him in with the PP – again, mea culpa, though you'll notice that Müller is correctly listed on the PM chart. As for your third point, getting rid of the PP people post-'92 would go against various canons, though if people can come to a consensus as to what form the successor body would take, I'll happily edit the table – especially seeing as you asked so nicely.

On another note, eagle eyed viewers may notice that I've taken the liberty of creating the Democratic Party towards the end of the 20th century. Essentially, this is the result of an assumed decline of the LDP, leading to a merger with the NDP. The name is taken from discussions on the topic between Pierre Savarin and J. B. H. van der Wyngaert held around 1909. I hope no one minds to greatly.))

((His term ending in '63 is a hangover from an earlier revision – mea culpa – though his government lasting after '65 would go against the canon as established by Nicolas van der Wyngaert's biography, so if we could compromise and have Müller's term end then I'd be eternally grateful. I misinterpreted the split as being the death of the CCU and therefore lumped him in with the PP – again, mea culpa, though you'll notice that Müller is correctly listed on the PM chart. As for your third point, getting rid of most of the PP people would go against various canons, but I'll change a couple of the NPCs if it bothers you massively having no CCU presence after '65 – especially seeing as you asked so nicely... :p

On another note, eagle eyed viewers may notice that I've taken the liberty of creating the Democratic Party towards the end of the 20th century. Essentially, this is the result of an assumed decline of the LDP, leading to a merger with the NDP. The name is taken from discussions on the topic between Pierre Savarin and J. B. H. van der Wyngaert held around 1909. I hope no one minds to greatly.))

((I was only referring to the two PP Presidents and the last two PMs, since there was no PP after the '92 merger. Sorry for being blunt, though.))

((Who is this Isabelle Traver, and how did she become PM under the CCU ticket? I doubt that would happen.))

(Your very own...wait for it, here comes DB's cringe....Margaret Thatcher. Be proud mate, be proud.)

((I was only referring to the two PP Presidents and the last two PMs, since there was no PP after the '92 merger. Sorry for being blunt, though.))

((Yeah, I realised that after I'd gone back and edited Müller's term dates. As I say, if you guys can agree on the details of the successor party the I'll happily edit the table.

No worries about the bluntness. I was just somewhat irked that, having spent a considerable amount of work putting the chart together, I received little aside from complaints. :p))

((Who is this Isabelle Traver, and how did she become PM under the CCU ticket? I doubt that would happen.))

((If her femininity offends you, I can easily change the name. Having said that, I don't personally see it as being too unlikely considering that a) she would likely be the party's first female leader, and b) this would be a good 50 years or so after the idea of a female party leader first appeared. Frankly, I doubt very much that even the CCU would be able to resist change after that length of time. :)))

(Your very own...wait for it, here comes DB's cringe....Margaret Thatcher. Be proud mate, be proud.)

((I refuse such a notion!))

((If her femininity offends you, I can easily change the name. Having said that, I don't personally see it as being too unlikely considering that a) she would likely be the party's first female leader, and b) this would be a good 50 years or so after the idea of a female party leader first appeared. Frankly, I doubt very much that even the CCU would be able to resist change after that length of time. :)))

((The CCU is basically a gentlemen's club and pretty much has always been. Also, no conservatives ever really respected any of the female leaders in a great way anyways. I ask you to change it, perhaps sometime in the 21st century will the change finally make notice :p ))

Last edited:
((There are actually two errors with the list of PMs. One is that Dupointe was only PM until 1919, when Pierre Savarin took over for two years to fill out the rest of the term. The second is that Leon-Philippe van de Werve was PM in 1926 for roughly a month until he became president, and thus this should be reflected in the list.))

Last edited:
((There are actually two errors with the list of PMs. One is that Dupointe was only PM until 1919, when Pierre Savarin took over for two years to fill out the rest of the term. The second is that Leon Philippe van de Werve was PM in 1926 for roughly a month until he became president, and thus this should be reflected in the list.))

((Correct, somehow all of Belgium was ok with a husband and wife PM-presidency team :p))

((The CCU is basically a gentlemen's club and pretty much has always been. Also, no conservatives ever really respected any of the female leaders in a great way anyways. I ask you to change it, perhaps sometime in the 21st century will the change finally make notice :p ))

(("Has been" being the key phrase there, I feel. I honestly doubt that the party would be so reactionary as to still reject a female leader 50-60 years after Savarin et al. I'd also say that there definitely have been conservatives who've respected female leaders, and to deny such is ludicrous, though that's largely irrelevant. Nonetheless, I've changed it so as not to cause a scene. Isabelle is now Jean-Luc. :)))

((There are actually two errors with the list of PMs. One is that Dupointe was only PM until 1919, when Pierre Savarin took over for two years to fill out the rest of the term. The second is that Leon Philippe van de Werve was PM in 1926 for roughly a month until he became president, and thus this should be reflected in the list.))
((I seriously don't know why I bothered. :p

I shall rectify the errors shortly.))

Epilogue: The Savarins, De Zoets and Moreau

tEPyQLp.jpg

Pierre Savarin (1839-1936)

After the death of his wife and the end of the d'Ursel Administration, Pierre Savarin retired from political life, at least in an official capacity. Without his wife and with his sons and daughters both busy with political careers of their own, he quickly found he could not leave political life behind entirely. He served as an advisor to Foreign Minister Aerts in the prelude to the Second World War and played a critical effort in convincing Aerts to sign alliances with the British and French. He also served as Ambassador to the Kingdom of Italy from 1933 to 1935, wanting to both return to his beloved Foreign Ministry and to spend some of his retirement in a country of which he said that "in my opinion, Italy is second only to Belgium in my list of most beautiful places in the world." His term was cut short by a stroke in December 1935, whereupon he returned to Belgium. He died four months later, at age 97, in the Savarin family estate in Charleroi. He was buried in Brussels along the other Prime Ministers.

vwkjL4y.jpg

Antoine Moreau (1878-1944)

Antoine Moreau would continue to hold his Brigadier-Generalship while also working on advanced new fighter-bomber designs. His greatest innovation was the design of the first Belgian aircraft capable of operating entirely from an aircraft carrier, in 1937. Moreau's insistence on the importance of aircraft and aircraft carriers in war doctrine found him few friends in the Belgian army, but nonetheless he served capably as one of the highest-ranking aircraft generals in Belgium. He would enlist in the RAF when the government-in-exile fled to London, and eventually served as a brigadier-general there as well. He would not live to see the homeland liberated, and died of a heart attack in Southampton in 1944. He is buried there, alongside several other Belgian airmen who died during the Battle of Britain.

9XveHgY.jpg

Mayumi de Zoet (1900-1984)

Daughter of Captain Jacob de Zoet, Mayumi would serve as a Deputy for the Belgian Social Union from 1946 to 1956. Afterwards, she asked President Savarin to nominate her as Ambassador to the Batavian Republic, which Belgium was forced to recognize in the aftermath of World War II. He agreed, and she was off, priavately hoping to "accomplish what her father could not do." While Batavia returning to Belgian hands was out of the question, she was determined to harry the Dutch ruling lass's hold on the island as soon as possible.

While democratic government had been restored following the liberation of the island from the Japanese, the 1951 Batavian elections had returned a massive majority for the Bataafse Weerstandpartij (Batavian Resistance Party,) a neo-fascist party that revoked voting rights from anyone that could not speak Flemish Dutch, in practice meaning most native Javans. In her book, Understanding Batavia, she would write, "What differentiates Batavian fascism from that of many other countries is that defines the other not primarily based on culture, but rather on language. Williams himself expelled the Walloons, but personally believed that anyone could become "Flemish" through studying the language and swearing loyalty to (at first) Flanders or (later) the idea of Flemish and Dutch culture, an idea which the BWP and his other ideological descendants also adopted. This notably included native Javans. On the other hand, anyone unwilling or unable to do so is subhuman, including Walloons and Germans. This is why there is a small, but non-negligible, core of Javan fascists in Batavia, and why Batavia will fight tooth and nail against Belgian influence and indeed that of any country barring the Netherlands."

Ambassador de Zoet pressured the Batavian government to rescind these laws. She also, whenever possible, lended support to anti-BWP resistance groups. One in particular, the Batavian Democratic Movement, was blacklisted by the U.S. for being too potentially pro-communist. She managed to secure Belgian (and helped secure French and Soviet) funding for the BDM, who launched their revolution against the BWP dictatorship in June of 1966. Before returning to Belgium, she secretly met with a BDM operative, for whom she had a special request. Five hours later, as the story goes, she pressed the trigger on a bomb that destroyed the memorial of Abel Williams that had been built over the mausoleum her father had destroyed forty years earlier. When the BDM took Wyngaertville in 1967 and announced their intent to hold free elections, Ambassador de Zoet was hailed as a national hero. She would later write a book about her role in the Batavian Revolution and would frequently entertain Batavian government officials of the new regime until her death in 1988.

48n5M9E.gif

Amélie Savarin (1874-1941)

Daughter of Pierre and sister of Prime Minister (later President) Georges Valentin Savarin, Amélie had served as principal manager of Savarin Industries after her mother's death in 1926. In 1935, her husband Heinrich Savarin (né Goldstein) wished to run for a seat in the Chamber of Deputies as a National Democrat, but fell ill several months before the election, prompting Amélie to run in his place. Any intent she may have had to run again were pre-empted by the Nazi invasion; she and her husband were on holiday in Rotterdam when the Nazis invaded the Netherlands. The SS came for her husband, who was consigned to the ghetto. Amélie herself was eventually found by GDNS agents and taken to Paris with the rest of the government, but began to succumb to depression in Paris. When the di Picardie line fell in 1941 and the government left for London, she was found dead in her room at the Hotel République at age 68. Though conspiracies have been floated that she was murdered by a German spy, it was likely a suicide. She was buried at the family estate in Charleroi.

tEnDr29.jpg

Henri Pierre Savarin (1902-1978)

Amélie and Heinrich Savarin's son, Henri took to the same radical liberal politics as his mother, grandfather and great-grandfather before him with gusto. A career diplomat, his first posting was in the Belgian embassy in China in 1928, a difficult assignment in an era when the Second Boxer Rebellion was still ravaging the country. Despite the dangerous assignment, he did an effective job of protecting Belgian interests, and continued to serve in the Embassy until 1940, when the Japanese invasion of China (not to mention the Nazi invasion of Belgium) made maintaining the embassy impractical. In his spare time, he managed to open branches of Savarin Financial Services (an investment bank) and Republican Motor Works (a luxury car company), among other firms owned by the Savarin Industries holding company, in Shanghai. He married Marguerite Dubois, daughter of the French Ambassador to China, in 1933, but before and after this had had a long and somewhat public affair with Soong May-ling, who herself was then involved with Nationalist warlord Chiang Kai-shek. After joining his uncle Georges Valentin in London during the Government-in-exile with Marguerite, who he would privately write was a "stupid, sycophantic girl with no interest or aptitude for matters political, economic, or frankly anything beyond purchasing shoes," he enlisted in the RAF as a pilot and flew several missions over occupied France. When the mainland government was restored, he was named Ambassador to the Republic of China in 1945. He divorced Marguerite the day before boarding his plane to Nanjing and married Soong upon his arrival. "I finally have met a woman who is my equal, Uncle," he would write, "and now I can get to the business of making something of myself."

Henri would leave his post in China for one in Egypt in 1955, having helped ensure the survival of the Republic of China with Belgian and American loans despite his obviously frosty relationship with Chiang Kai-shek on a personal level. He was just in time for the Suez Crisis, working closely with the Foreign Minister to help ensure the canal remained in Belgian hands. The experience made him loathe the overbearing influence of the United States, instead leading him to push aggressively for European unity to counter the vicegrip both the superpowers had on what he called "free Europe." He resigned from his post in 1957 and ran for the chamber of Deputies, promising to push forward the idea of the European Economic Community. The popular National Democratic administration fully backed his message of free trade and European unity, and Henri Savarin is today regarded as one of the most prominent ideological founders of the European Union. He would later serve as Foreign Minister in the Dahaen and Lucassen ministries; though he was personally sad to see the National Democrats dissolve into the Democratic Party, he said later that "I suppose after 140 years, all good things must come to an end." He served as an advisor to the European Economic Community and as a member of several think tanks promoting European federalism until his death in 1978. European Commissioner Mario Napolitanio said in 2009 that "it is no coincidence the capital of the Union is in Brussels and that Henri Savarin, a Belgian, played such a principal part in its creation." He is survived by wife his children Pierre, Alexandre, Joséphine Henriette, and Michel (all were Marguerite's; he never had a child with May-ling.)

irsVSTF.jpg

Alexandre Savarin (1942-)

The second of Henri Savarin's four children and the only one who currently holds political office (Pierre is the current CEO of Savarin Industries, Joséphine Henriette holds a high-ranking position in LONDP (League of Nations Development Programme) and Michel moved to West Africa in 1965 and lived in relative obscurity). The first in the family to not begin politics in the National Democrats, he initially ran as a Belgian Social Union candidate in 1984, as the Democratic Party was then floundering in the wake of a strong period of CCU-BSU dominance. His vision of a more social democratic party that would eventually be able to make peace with capitalism was not in vogue during the Defrainge administration; this, combined with his name, made advancement in the Social Union a difficult prospect. Despite the election of Nicolas Van de Wyngaert to the position of party leader in 1989, who had a similar vision of what Alexandre termed "modern socialism," he would defect to the Democratic Party in 1991, feeling that that party's left wing was closer to social democracy and wanting to distance himself from the collapsed and disgraced USSR. He was vindicated in large part when left-leaning Democrat Heinrich Dieter became Prime Minister in 1999, and served as his Interior Minister. The Democrats forming a government had not happened since the 1970s; despite Belgium's strong liberal tradition, both the socialists and conservatives have had better party organization in the past. When Dieter died in 2009, Alexandre was elected Party Leader. With the pending 2014 elections seeming to point to good results for the BSU, and to a lesser extent the DP, time will tell if he will become the fourth Savarin to hold the office of Prime Minister.​

((I'm liking the extra depth you've given to some of the NPC figures, Scrap – even if I can't take Alexandre seriously thanks to that picture of Miliband.

I would like to think that Nicolas van der Wyngaert and his BSU were never pro-USSR, though having a Savarin anywhere other than the DP would be highly unnatural, and so his defection is forgiven. :p))

Your work is much appreciated :)

((Thanks Gen. :)))

Your work is much appreciated :)

((Indeed, and as NDP leader emeritus I approve of the Democratic Party merger. I think '73 as the year of formation makes sense.

If I need to change anything in my epilogue, please tell me. On a side note, we seem to have a Loewen and a Savarin as party leaders all the way in 2014...Some things never change. :p ))

irsVSTF.jpg

alexandre savarin (1942-)

the second of henri savarin's four children and the only one who currently holds political office (pierre is the current ceo of savarin industries, joséphine henriette holds a high-ranking position in londp (league of nations development programme) and michel moved to west africa in 1965 and lived in relative obscurity). The first in the family to not begin politics in the national democrats, he initially ran as a belgian social union candidate in 1984, as the democratic party was then floundering in the wake of a strong period of ccu-bsu dominance. His vision of a more social democratic party that would eventually be able to make peace with capitalism was not in vogue during the defrainge administration; this, combined with his name, made advancement in the social union a difficult prospect. Despite the election of nicolas van de wyngaert to the position of party leader in 1989, who had a similar vision of what alexandre termed "modern socialism," he would defect to the democratic party in 1991, feeling that that party's left wing was closer to social democracy and wanting to distance himself from the collapsed and disgraced ussr. He was vindicated in large part when left-leaning democrat heinrich dieter became prime minister in 1999, and served as his interior minister. The democrats forming a government had not happened since the 1970s; despite belgium's strong liberal tradition, both the socialists and conservatives have had better party organization in the past. When dieter died in 2009, alexandre was elected party leader. With the pending 2014 elections seeming to point to good results for the bsu, and to a lesser extent the dp, time will tell if he will become the fourth savarin to hold the office of prime minister.​

((Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Not ed miliband! Please!!!!! Noooooooooooo!!!!))