National Ideagroups - 22nd of October A - Finland

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Finland

Traditions
+2.5% Discipline
+10% Global Tax Modifier

1. Expand Viborg: +15% Defensiveness
  2. The Hakkapeliitta: +15% Cavalry Power
  3. The Fourth Estate: +10% Production Efficiency
  4. Settle Middle Finland: -15% Build Cost
  5. Found Turun Akatemia: -5% Technology Cost
  6. The White Death: +1 Hostile Attrition
  7. The Anjala Conspiracy: +10% Land Morale

Ambition
+2% Heretic Missionary Strength

Really nice, I love these Ideas, this could be a great idea to take Finland as a Marche if you play Russia

It's a bit weird that Finland would get -5% technology cost, of all countries. They don't strike me as being particularly innovative or advanced within the timeframe.

It's a bit weird that Finland would get -5% technology cost, of all countries. They don't strike me as being particularly innovative or advanced within the timeframe.

well.. that is because they didn't exist during the timeframe.

well.. that is because they didn't exist during the timeframe.

Finns did exist during the timeframe, as a people. The fact that a people or a country is part of a bigger country doesn't mean that they don't exist or don't make any contribution to history.

Some thoughts after brief stint of research on these ideas.

Traditions
+2.5% Discipline (Okay, standard opener for military based nations.)
+10% Global Tax Modifier (Unsure what this is meant to represent? Finlands role as the Crowns source of tax income in the Middle Ages? Generally speaking however Finland is pretty poor and this is probably a negligible bonus.)

Expand Viborg: +15% Defensiveness (Like it)
The Hakkapeliitta: +15% Cavalry Power (Finlan STRONK!)
The Fourth Estate: +10% Production Efficiency (Generic, but fine.)
Settle Middle Finland: -15% Build Cost (Where did all the Tavastians go? Central Finland was already settled at this point in history... it was the north that was being made habitable!)
Found Turun Akatemia: -5% Technology Cost (Sure, why not?)
The White Death: +1 Hostile Attrition (Go go Häyhä!)
The Anjala Conspiracy: +10% Land Morale (Okay, so intending to declare independence = land morale? We should do that more often!)

Ambition
+2% Heretic Missionary Strength (Wat?)

Score: 10/10 Dissapointed no Lauri Törni references or more Sabaton songs in titles. Or as my friend said,"Very accurate for a minor nation." ;)

Finland didn't exist, so, it's hard to say how it would had developed during that time period.

On Finlands defence, Finland was quite advanced compared to the Russian Empire it was part of, but yeah, that's beyond EU timeframe.
https://i.imgur.com/PU7wB4p.jpg (literacy rates around 1897)

Hahaha this idea set is like sorry brothers but I have to remind you that we were the same kingdom. 9/10 is references to Sweden. But my Finnish heritage is insulted by 2.5 discipline... Wiz! Westsweden and Eastsweden should have the same discipline modifier.

Finland didn't exist, so, it's hard to say how it would had developed during that time period.

On Finlands defence, Finland was quite advanced compared to the Russian Empire it was part of, but yeah, that's beyond EU timeframe.
https://i.imgur.com/PU7wB4p.jpg (literacy rates around 1897)

That's way beyond the timeframe considering EU IV mostly focuses on the first centuries. Also, Russia was mostly a slavery-based almost medieval country, being better than Russia should be the norm.

Some thoughts after brief stint of research on these ideas.

Traditions
+2.5% Discipline (Okay, standard opener for military based nations.)
-Why does Eastsweden have lower modifier than West?
+10% Global Tax Modifier (Unsure what this is meant to represent? Finlands role as the Crowns source of tax income in the Middle Ages? Generally speaking however Finland is pretty poor and this is probably a negligible bonus.)
- Lutheran church mabye?

Expand Viborg: +15% Defensiveness (Like it)

The Hakkapeliitta: +15% Cavalry Power (Finlan STRONK!)
Should be a copy of the Swedish one, wait I mean Sweden should have the same as Finland here
The Fourth Estate: +10% Production Efficiency (Generic, but fine.)

Settle Middle Finland: -15% Build Cost (Where did all the Tavastians go? Central Finland was already settled at this point in history... it was the north that was being made habitable!)
Better fortifications in Savolax maybe? Fortification need towns around.
Found Turun Akatemia: -5% Technology Cost (Sure, why not?)
Swedens second University nice rememberence
The White Death: +1 Hostile Attrition (Go go Häyhä!)
Lol it should give some infantry power too! :p
The Anjala Conspiracy: +10% Land Morale (Okay, so intending to declare independence = land morale? We should do that more often!)
Well more a reminder let the military do military work and let politicans be politicans?

Ambition
+2% Heretic Missionary Strength (Wat?)

Score: 10/10 Dissapointed no Lauri Törni references or more Sabaton songs in titles. Or as my friend said,"Very accurate for a minor nation." ;)
added inside the quote

added inside the quote

Overall I like the ideas. Responding to your responses inside this response... dawg. ;)
Discipline: Okay with this. +5 would be neat, but Finns weren't ever quite as disciplined as the Svea soldiery. Good at fighting, but not exactly ready to do everything they were told. See Hakkapeliitta tactics for reference.
On the 10% Tax: Lutheran church is way after this point.
Middle Finland: Savolax is in Eastern Finland.
Turun Akatemia: Agreed. Had some vague memories of the place being more focused on math and artillery training, but probably remembering wrong.
White Death: Infantry Power! Nowz! ;)
Anjala Conspiracy: Works.

My only real wonder is the ambition... which I am getting nothing out of. What is it supposed to be!?