• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Perhaps you remember that when Sweden was destroyed, a small number of Norse (Scandinavians) was saved by the Imperium and found refuge in Konstantinoupolis. So yes, I would allow House of Norse (Scandinavian) origin - if your story convinces me how could this happen ;))

I actually had an idea to do something like this.

Last edited:
Hey a question for you (alt) history buffs, does a member of the varangian guard become unable to inherit titles once he joins, and is it even possible for them to hold land once they leave the service? I am asking because i was working with the idea of an exile house who likes to throw unwanted sons to the guard as a way for the family to gain prestige and to give the kids a way to make a name for themselves.

Well in CK2 at least you can send your sons off to the guard and sometimes they'll decide to stay in the guard at Constantinople and other times they come back with awesome skills, and sometimes they come back blinded and castrated (my best son in one Norse play through)

DEV DIARY 2
CHRISTIANS & HERETICS

Salve, citizens! Today we'll take a closer look at Christian and heretic states, though not all of them: in most cases I ignored OPM because, well, in this setting they won't leave long anyways. But before we start, let's talk about technology.

Technology in „This Is Madness 2”
Vanilla tech groups for obvious reasons were very inadequate for this setting, hence they had to be modified:

1. Eastern tech cost lowered from 120% to 115%
On the one hand, the Byzantine Roman legacy was preserved intact by the Imperium – on the other hand however, almost all Western nations were destroyed and whole Europe was plunged into centuries of warfare, plagues, genocide and religious violence. Hence I'm lowering the technology cost for Eastern tech group but only a little bit.

2. Chinese and Indian start at tech level 3 (instead of vanilla level 2)
3. High American starts at tech level 4 (instead of vanilla level 3)

These changes were made to simulate both the lack of progress in Europe and considerable progress of the High American tech group, which is clearly ahead of the curve in respect to both Asia and the Old World. Higher tech for Asia is meant to represent that ruined Europe didn't develop that much and now is effectively (and relatively to High American) on par with both Chinese and Indian group, which IMHO makes a lot of sense.

This means that there are three starting levels of tech in game:
High American – level 4
Europe + Asia – level 3
Africa – level 1 (like in vanilla)

4. Eastern, Muslim, Ottoman and High American can create trade companies
Because there is virtually no Western tech group countries left, I feel this is a good idea to allow basically everyone to create trade companies. Since you can't create them on the continent your capital is, it's probably not going to cause any problems.

”Form Mughal” decision tweak
I forgot to tell you about it last time but I also changed „Form Mughal” decision so that the reward for doing so is bigger:

Code:
		effect = {
			change_tag = MUG
			indian_region = {
				limit = {
					NOT = { owned_by = ROOT }
				}
				add_claim = MUG
			}
			add_prestige = 100

if = {
				limit = {
					technology_group = muslim
				}
				change_technology_group = ottoman
			}
			change_unit_type = ottoman
			change_government = imperial_government
		}

This means that if Timurids manage to reform their government (they start as a Steppe Horde), they will become much, much stronger than they already are. Again, this is a change which main purpose is to make game more challenging for me.

[size=+2]CHRISTIANS[/size]

RyB2ZCA.jpg

[size=+1]1. POLAND (Kingdom of Poland in CK2)[/size]

W27gdZU.jpg

Kingdom of Poland is one of the few miraculously surviving Christian realms, one of the two which ruler was honored with a title of „Christian King” by Roman chronicles and the sole ally of the Imperium. King Szczesny of Spis by marrying sister of Emperor Markos III Angelos secured the future of his realm - at least for a time, for Poland shares borders with both the Horde, Lithuania and xenoi. Polish knights together with their Aquitaine brethren are the main source of mercenaries serving in the imperial auxilia forces and numerously they proved their courage and valor on the field of battle. But the traditional autonomy of Polish nobility was only growing during the decades after the Sunset Invasion and it seems that if king Szczesny fails to fight the szlachta – always hungry for more power and privileges – his House reign may come to an unexpected end. Some of the Polish nobles dare even to dream about a new form of government which would confirm the old traditions and would allow them to not only influence the one who sits on the Piasts' Throne but even to elect the king! Would Kingdom of Poland fall prey to these ill-conceived ideas and become another Pisa where people chose their ruler instead of accepting their divine right to rule given to them by Iesus Kristos?

vTxj6Om.jpg

Despite being surrounded by enemies the Polish kingdom still stands – thanks to its unique geographical position it's obvious that whoever controls or influences Poland holds a key to the central Europe. But let's get to the changes, shall we? This is another example of converter doing its job properly. Besides fixing birth date for Polish ruler (which is bugged in case of every single converted country for some reason), I only added alliance and royal marriage with Imperium like in CK2.

National Focus aka Old Save Bonus
Aristocracy Idea Group.

Historical rivals and friends
Historical rivals: Aztec, Lithuania
Historical friends: Imperium, Aquitaine

[size=+1]2. AQUITAINE (Kingdom of Aquitaine in CK2)[/size]

GrDAntt.jpg

Aquitaine is a fascinating country. First part of Kingdom of France, later like France annexed by Holy Roman Empire German Cathars and then liberated in a crusade by House Golovin, at the time most powerful House in Europe. Golovins were initially Tengri pagan rulers of Hungary but after crusade against them they converted to Catholic heresy and then seized the Polish crown from House Piast. For a time, leading Hungarian-Polish-Aquitaine union they were the most powerful Catholic country. But with passing decades their dominion collapsed – the Horde destroyed and annexed Hungary and Polish knights rebelled against Golovins. Despite all this, for almost 200 years they managed to survive where many were utterly annihilated. The question is, for how long old kingdom will be able to delay the inevitable? King Bozydar the Old proved himself to be a worth ally of the Imperium but after his death the future of Aquitaine is more uncertain than ever before.

OOUnToh.jpg

Since their primary culture is Polish they got Polish NI but in this case it couldn't be a better choice. My changes were limited to giving the Christian King his heir, who for some reason wasn't transferred from CK2.

Aristocracy Idea Group.

Historical rivals: Pisa
Historical friends: Imperium

[size=+1]3. PISA (Republic of Pisa in CK2)[/size]

hcLvtQ0.jpg

The Republic of Pisa. Since the battle of Calcinaia (25th May 1276) when more than 5,000 elite kataphraktoi were slained by Pisan mercenaries, the greedy merchants were an enemy of the Imperium. The days of their glory are long gone however – having lost almost all their holdings in Italia and trading outposts on Mediterranean Sea Pisans are now more of a nuisance than a threat to the Romans. Still, thanks to their proficiency in trade they still are dangerous, especially to Kingdom of Aquitaine and Holy Roman Empire German realm, with which they fought numerous wars. But their greatest advantage aren't their gold nor their mercenaries – it's their merchants.

ljSX0XJ.jpg

Cooperating closely with xenoi for decades, Pisans thrived while the rest of Christian realms were being destroyed one by one. All trade with xenoi - legal or not - goes through their hands, be it enslaved Christians, spices from the East or more common goods. This unique role of the Republic is best represented in EU4 terms by their status as the protectorate of xenoi. As a quick reminder, according to eu4wiki.com protectorate:
- Cannot be diplomatically annexed.
- Does not fill up the diplomatic relations cap.
- Gives 50% of its trade power to its overlord.
- Gives military access and fleet basing right to its overlord, without filling up a relations slot.
- Enjoys a -20% technology discount.
- Has all previous alliances broken, and cannot form new ones.
- May renounce its protectorate status without war, at the cost of stability, a loss of prestige and a major relations hit from its overlord.
- May declare war against other nations (except other subjects of the same overlord), and the overlord may not be called in.
- Is not called into its overlord's wars, but automatically calls its overlord into a defensive war if attacked.
Additionally, I made following changes:
- proper national ideas: generic ideas → italian ideas
- changed graphics: easterngfx → westerngfx
- gave Pisa (province) – which they had in CK2 but for some reason wasn't transferred to EU4
- gave extra +10% mercantilism - due to traditional Pisan reliance on trade

Plutocracy Idea Group.

Historical rivals: Imperium, Bavaria (HRE)
Historical friends: Aztec

[size=+1]4. MOLDAU (Chiefdom of Moldau in CK2)[/size]

tYLtnDc.jpg

Moldau is a curious case – the one and only Mongol state which (allegedly) converted to Christianity. This raises a very important question, both theologically and politically. Can the barbarians from the steppes be saved and join the Christian communion in Kristos? So far the official policy of the Imperium was to wipe out any and all Mongol savages but perhaps Moldau is a harbinger of change.

And speaking of changes, I haven't made any in case of Moldau - it's just an OPM after all, even despite its special status.

[size=+1]5. NAVARRA (Duchy of Navarra in CK2)[/size]

eX7VUIe.jpg

Navarra is another unexpected player on the European stage – if it can be said about all that's left of Roman presence on Iberian Peninsula. After the fall of Aragon (which successfully seceded from Imperium during a civil war) this small kingdom is the last remnant of Roman-Aragonese alliance and later union which survived for almost 150 years, now being led by House Balsamon. Which by the way is the House of empress Ioulia Balsamon, wife of Emperor Luis II Angelos and great-grandmother of Emperor Markos III Angelos (long may he reign).

RXxgKnR.jpg

My changes in this case were limited to giving Navarra-duchy the Navarra-county (in CK2) as a vassal and changing primary culture from Greek to Castillian as it should be. This enabled Spanish NI for Navarra which I didn't change because I found it pretty cool – I wonder what will happen with this small realm in the future. Will they escape from their fate overseas? Who knows?

[size=+1]6. REICH (Holy Roman Empire German realm in CK2)[/size]

ZyzsPgZ.jpg

Ah, the infamous German realm ruled by kaiser. It was mainly because of the decades-long struggle between Catholic popes bishop of Rome and Cathar kaisers that Europe was so devastated it couldn't hope to stop the invaders from the Far West. Having lost first Aquitaine and later France to the Catholics, German realm has slowly been consumed by xenoi. When Kingdom of Bavaria – long-time ally of the Imperium – was elected as a new kaiser of a dying Reich, he gained his title but he lost any sympathy from the Imperium.

ZHwfRHM.jpg

Bavarian rulers didn't stop the decay and soon not only de jure Germany was lost to the Aztecs, but also Bohemia and most of Bavaria itself. Then, when it seemed that a blasphemous monstrosity created by usurper Charlemagne was finally going to collapse, a Pisan vassal Allighiero di Orange was elected a new kaiser. His rebellion and treason (lands ruled by him joined the Reich) was the main cause of decades-long wars with Republic of Pisa. Teetering on the brink of destruction for centuries, the Reich is a lost cause and unless something completely unexpected happens, the bastard of Charlemagne and heretic „pope” will finally meet its doom.

khR2Lu1.jpg

YxRZGrh.jpg

My changes were limited to:
- giving elector title to all countries
- giving to some members of the Reich new primary culture (German) in place of Italian, so that all of them could have German NI instead of the generic ones
- changing localization files so that German HRE emperor is called „Kaiser” in game

National Focus aka Old Save Bonus (Bavaria)
Influence Idea Group.

Historical rivals (Bavaria)
Historical rivals: Imperium, Pisa, Aztecs

[size=+2]HERETICS[/size]

a3tOQa4.jpg

[size=+1]1. LEON (Kingdom of Leon in CK2)[/size]

36G4Aj0.jpg

The story of the House Godwin is one of the most fascinating examples of how twisted the world became in this alternative timeline. How come they are the rulers of Kingdom of Leon which occupies Welsh lands? In year 1066 Harold II Godwin was defeated and Harald III Yngling „the Conqueror” became a new king of England. He died of old age quickly and after almost 20 years of civil wars and uprisings – during which for 2 years Guilhelm de Normandie „the Conqueror” managed to take the crown for himself - House Godwin once again seized the English throne. Short reign of three consecutive Godwin kings (1084-1091) ended with yet another invasion in which Guilhelm de Normandie „the Conqueror” again took the crown. He died three years later and after another period of civil war and short rule of king from some minor dynasty Aelle Godwin became a king in 1096. He ruled for 4 years only because once again invaders conquered England, this time led by Gunnar Yngling „the Ill-Ruler”.

After his death House Godwin took the crown again but only for 3 years. The next 150 years is almost constant civil war with average reign of kings - quickly dying in battle or from the dagger of assassins – shorter than 3 years. Godwins were rulers of England in 1107-1112 (after which de Normandie launched another invasion), 1131 for a month, 1203-1204, 1244-1246 and finally from 1278 until 1392. Why such sudden change? The answer is Sunset Invasion. With the arrival of xenoi England was conquered once again but this time for good and House Godwin together with few surviving subjects found refuge in isles of Zealand. When in 1392 Aztecs finally destroyed – purely titular by this time – kingdom of England, it seemed that Godwins finally run out of luck. However, in 1381 they managed to put Adelaide I Godwin on the throne of Leon which – also destroyed by xenoi – survived in its Welsh holdings. It is there, in misty mountains of Wales, where Godwin rule since 1381 until this day (year 1444) without any opposition. Still loyal to Catholic heresy and with Absolute Crown Authority, the English House Godwin is very much alive. It's obvious however that if only xenoi wanted, they could wipe them out like a man kills a fly. Until this time however, strange realm is one of the remaining enclave of the long-gone world.

Converter gave Leon (somewhat unexpectedly) Absolute Monarchy, which I decided to keep considering the history of the House Godwin – they really deserve this, having survived almost 400 years against all odds.

Defensiveness Idea Group.

[size=+1]2. HIBERNIA (Kingdom of Ireland in CK2)[/size]

fhDUj0k.jpg

Hibernia (as the Romans called it) was once part of the Three Crowns of Scotland, Ireland and Brittany but has recently gained independence. Its survival could be considered miraculous like in case of all independent states on Heretic Isles if not its allegiance to bishop of Rome. But even in this case Hibernia is an exception. As it was decided by king Colin Ivaring, the free investiture law was introduced in 1443, thus making Ireland Hibernia the first heretic realm to not only turn away from Iesus Kristos but also from the false „pope”.

IkJ9zdx.jpg

This may be just as well a first step on a long road to the light of the Holy Church or perhaps a beginning of even greater blasphemies. Either way, Hibernia just like all other heretics is at the mercy of xenoi who spared it only because there is nothing of value for the on the devastated Emerald Island. But the day may come when xenoi are no longer satisfied with their small foothold in Dublin and will finally launch a full scale invasion and wipe out the Catholics once and for all.

My changes were limited only to giving Ireland a proper Roman name and proper Irish NI instead of the Scottish ones.

[size=+1]3. CALEDONIA (Kingdom of Scotland in CK2)[/size]

uJSaBGo.jpg

Since Emperor Hadrianus began building his Wall in year 122 the Imperium had no interest in barren highlands which lie beyond it. Scottish kings were making gains in their never-ending war with England, permanently suffering from infighting and usurpations but with the arrival of xenoi everything changed. Perhaps the reasons for which Westerners left Caledonia alone where the same for which Romans did it – there's little value in conquering barren northern lands. Having conquered Isle of Man, Orkney and other small islands to supply their mighty fleets, the invaders left heretics to their own devices. Completely cut off from the rest of Europe, Scottish rulers managed to conquer both Hibernia and Britanny but before they could destroy Leon their dominion fell apart. The last powerful heretic realm was destroyed and Three Crowns became one when Hibernia declared independence.

va7MdD9.jpg

In the end, Caledonia regained control over Britanny but it paid high price for this. Constant wars greatly weakened the king, who was forced to transfer most of his power to ambitious vassals. Today Caledonia is just a mere shadow of its former glory and even at its highest point it wasn't worth attention of the xenoi. It's downfall is almost certain and with it the end of blasphemous „papacy” - as the greatest of remaining Catholic realms, the Curia and all its cardinals reside in Scottish capital. There is no doubt that the day when false bishop of Rome is finally erased from history is near.

My changes were limited to changing name of Scotland to a proper ancient Roman name of Caledonia.

That's all for now! If you have any questions or suggestions I'll gladly answer to them. Next time – Xenoi and the Far West.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Xenois are big in Europe. I bet lots of Christendom will die in their wake.

Well, I bet they'll be annexed too soon for westernisation to be relevant :p
Are you fine with the AI having that much bonuses ?
I know you said you were a good player but even so I hope the Imperium could last, instead of just struggling for survival

Another great dev diary. The British Isles... I wonder if they could become a major player in this part. I can't wait to see the changes to the Far West. Will you be trying to westernize the Roman Empire?

The Ivarings in a 1066 start making it to 1444? with Ireland?

the ck2 world imploding almost entirely is one thing, but late-start ivarings ruling a kingdom I've never seen the AI form? That just pushes against my suspension of disbelief. The only way to top that is if in the next diary, the 1066 Karling managed to revive his family they're now in charge of the aztecs.

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense, storywise, for the Western techgroup to be the best of all the techgroups in this scenario.

I really hope you do something to ensure the immediate survival of Timurids I want them to be a potent enemy of the empire. Plus as one of the few remaining Islamic states I want them to survive for diversities sake.

I have to say I'm not surprised that Navarre is surviving, I don't think I've ever seen those determined Basques ever conquered in one of my games, makes sense that they would survive the apocalypse.

Last edited:

the ck2 world imploding almost entirely is one thing, but late-start ivarings ruling a kingdom I've never seen the AI form? That just pushes against my suspension of disbelief. The only way to top that is if in the next diary, the 1066 Karling managed to revive his family they're now in charge of the aztecs.

There are some Ivarings in Scotland in 1066 around the Isle of Man

Well, I bet they'll be annexed too soon for westernisation to be relevant :p
Are you fine with the AI having that much bonuses ?
I know you said you were a good player but even so I hope the Imperium could last, instead of just struggling for survival
I'm not DDRJake but I consider myself to be a decent player:

ZktF3Ml.jpg

This plus bonuses from "Purple Pheonix Arises" by dorimi and the sole fact that I will have AI against myself could make a game way too easy. And I would like to have some challenge. Luckily there is no balance to speak of in this world in the first place, so even if I make the Horde, Timurids or xenoi OP it won't change much - they are OP anyways. I start in 1444 and there are more than four nations which have army more or less 100,000 strong - in vanilla you get to this point by mid 16th century.
Another great dev diary. The British Isles... I wonder if they could become a major player in this part. I can't wait to see the changes to the Far West. Will you be trying to westernize the Roman Empire?
Thanks! I have no idea and that's a great feeling :)
Perhaps I will. It depends on what the Senate decides though.
There are some Ivarings in Scotland in 1066 around the Isle of Man
I didn't intervene in whatever was going on British Isles, I was to busy keeping the Imperium together. I can give you screenshots of k_ireland history if you want though :)
I know this is heresy but Leon is awesome :p
Heretic! Get him!
(But yeah, it's impressive that they survived)
In my opinion, it doesn't make sense, storywise, for the Western techgroup to be the best of all the techgroups in this scenario.
True. I can give them Eastern tech but honestly in their situation I don't think this little bonus in a form of a cheaper tech is going to change much.
I really hope you do something to ensure the immediate survival of Timurids I want them to be a potent enemy of the empire. Plus as one of the few remaining Islamic states I want them to survive for diversities sake.
I will - as I said before, I'll rig the start of the campaign so that it mirrors what was going on in CK2 and later RNG only knows what will happen. It would be silly to see Timurids implode 2 years into the game while they were able to survive for c. 100 years with no bigger problems. So yes, they will get some extra bonuses at the start of the game, probably some gold and extra stability.
I have to say I'm not surprised that Navarre is surviving, I don't think I've ever seen those determined Basques ever conquered in one of my games, makes sense that they would survive the apocalypse.
Good point :)

While checking some "historical" facts in AAR so that I can correct your applications I found this:

uWaIvjr.jpg

Panta rhei.

While checking some "historical" facts in AAR so that I can correct your applications I found this:

uWaIvjr.jpg

Panta rhei.
Yeah, found it too while digging to find Leon Angelos (corrected my application btw)- it's really cool.
Is there any secret meaning to it that I missed, through? :p

Yeah, found it too while digging to find Leon Angelos (corrected my application btw)- it's really cool.
Is there any secret meaning to it that I missed, through? :p

Oh God, the Senate is going to be full of foreigners ... (yeah I'm the one saying that :D )
If Enlil does not do something about a Breton character, I'd be surprised :p

I hope you do westernize, to show that the Imperium will always be the strongest in the world even in technology. On a different note... DDRJake? Who is that?

Oh God, the Senate is going to be full of foreigners ... (yeah I'm the one saying that :D )
If Enlil does not do something about a Breton character, I'd be surprised :p
With all its intolerance and xenophoby, Imperium is actually probably the only place in Europe where your legal status (citizenship) is more important than your nationality - not that it would help Mongols or infidels (not to mention xenoi). But if you are a Christian and a Roman citizen you are treated roughly equally. That is, like other citizens: inifitely better than slaves but much worse than aristoi and dynatoi.
I hope you do westernize, to show that the Imperium will always be the strongest in the world even in technology. On a different note... DDRJake? Who is that?
The guy who did ironman world conquest as Ryukyu - twice - and whose exploits are being watched by whole EU4 team. Some of the fixes in recent patches were there because of him.

Oh, wow. I haven't read any EU4 AARs except yours so far. I suppose I should check his out sometime.