• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to the second dev diary for Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne!

I'm Tobias Bodlund, Scripter on the CK2 team. Today we'll discuss two new game features that we are really excited about. One has to do with titles and the other has to do with stories. Oh, and we've also changed something that has to do with murders.

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

ck2_18.png

This new feature should open up new ways for players to shape the world, and you'll see new titles arising according to the unique sequence of events that unfolds in your specific campaign.

Along with this comes new support for modders to dynamically change the coat of arms for any title through events or decisions or via the history files.

Another new feature is something we've wanted to add to Crusader Kings II for a long time. As you play through a long campaign, you are effectively creating the epic story of your dynasty, and we've always felt that it would be nice to create some kind of record of this, something that enables you to look back on your history and that you can also keep as a record after the game. This is why we've now added the Dynasty Chronicle.

ck2_10.png

The Chronicle will register any important events that happen to the characters you play, such as births, marriages, wars, deaths, important decisions etc. It will also mention major world events such as the arrival of the Mongols, the Crusades and the start of the Viking Age. You will be able to review your family chronicle at any time through the in-game interface, and you will also be able to export it to a text file so that you can keep it and share it with your friends. Maybe you'll even want to format it in a fancy font, print it in color and show it off properly.

Finally, for todays dev diary, let's talk about assassinations. There are two major changes being done here - and this part is free content, meaning it will be in the patch for everyone whether you have the Charlemagne DLC or not.

The first change is that the assassination diplomacy action has been removed. Since we introduced plots in Crusader Kings II, we've really had two different and wholly separated systems for assassinations. No longer. The click-to-assassinate mechanic was, to be honest, somewhat obsolete considering how the game has evolved over the past few years. From now you'll have to run a proper plot in order to kill someone, which also makes for much more interesting gameplay.

The second change to assassinations is that we've added a way for you to defend yourself from those who would plot your untimely death. There is now a new decision called "Go Into Hiding", which allows you to remove yourself from the public eye for as long as you desire and thus greatly decrease the chance of any murder plots against you succeeding. The decision is available at any time that there is a known or suspected murder plot against you (you might be wrong of course, but being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not actually out to get you). This new mechanic will have a number of new events associated with it.

You will also be able to send your spouse or any of your children into hiding in the same way - provided they are not rulers themselves, they are in your court, and that there is a credible threat against them.

You may come out of hiding, or take your dependants out of hiding, at any time you wish.

ck2_16.png

Hiding away in the inner rooms of your castle for prolonged periods of time does have its price, however. Your inability to hold court means that you will suffer a reduction to your diplomacy attribute while in hiding, and your vassals with be less loyal due to your absence. You will also be unable to hold feasts and tournaments, travel, lead armies and all those other things that would require you to leave your hiding place and step out into that evil and dangerous outside world.

There are of course also other risks associated with hiding. People living in relative isolation during extended periods have at times been known to... how to put it... suffer certain effects to their personality. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

A titular kingdom does not belong to any de jure on the empire level. To see how this works, look at Khazaria in the 867 start. And yes, blank de jure empire spots are created until an empire drifts the kingdom in question. Which imo is not a bad thing.
This is not necessarily true. You include set titular titles at a lower level of a de jure hierarchy (with nothing below them); this applies to both duchies and kingdoms. The thing is that in this case, you would not be able to create such titles if not by decision (if I am not missing some details e.g. about republics).

And to me, the blank spots on the empires map are just plain ugly.

I, personally, love these. ANY addition to court politics is awesome. What I want to know is (and maybe this is answered earlier; I haven't read the whole thread yet) is can you plot against your own children now?

I still hope that assassination plots will be made more reliable as a result of the removal of the assassination button. I hardly used the assassination button before, but i didn't waste time with the plot function either. Having overwhelming % of power in a plot against the most hated man in the court drag on for years and then end up getting discovered was simply not worth the effort either.

This +10.

You mean when a kingdom drifts out of an existing empire after defending its independence for 100 years?

I mean that undefined titular titles (ie Khazaria in 867 and presumably these new custom titles) do not have an empire de jure assigned to them. If they meet the requirements to drift a controlled duchy into their kingdom, then by extension that duchy will leave its assigned empire de jure at the same moment it is assigned to the titular title. As an example: Khazar controls Tabriz duchy for 100 years. Tabriz becomes de jure part of Khazar and at that same moment it leaves the de jure of the Persian empire.

This is not necessarily true. You include set titular titles at a lower level of a de jure hierarchy (with nothing below them); this applies to both duchies and kingdoms. The thing is that in this case, you would not be able to create such titles if not by decision (if I am not missing some details e.g. about republics). And to me, the blank spots on the empires map are just plain ugly.

Predefined titular titles such as Cypress I do not remember so I can not speak to those. Do they have empire de jures assigned to them on creation? I'm not sure either way.

Re blank spots: I can understand your position but to me the "black" territories of non de jure counties is a beautiful thing.

"Lesser Poland" and "Greater Poland" in 772? Are you kidding me? :blink:

Where are Polans, Lendians, Vistulans, Silesians, Mazovians? :sad:

Plemiona_polskie.png
it is in Polish,but you willfind what is what by first letters ;)

So, if I can't diplo assassinate them, can I finally make murder plots on my own children? I feel the ability to kill your children is central to the gameplay of CK2.
Sigged.

In order to compensate the weaknesses of the plot system for murdering, the devs are probably going to add something like the possibility of an event where an assassin ask you for a lot of money to get rid of your target.
This kind of event would occurs if the plot power is low, balancing your lack of friends for a cost. It seems realistic to me.

I am wondering if you can create new titles from Tribal titles with the idea that they can either be titular or regular titles rather than Tribal.

They said in other thread that currently existing tribal titles will get altered with Charlemagne. Details were bit hazy.

Anyway, I have an achievement suggestion for Paradox, seeing that cultural kingdoms are now possible.

-------------------------------------------------
KURDISTAN

- Control all provinces in the game with Kurdish culture
- Ruler must have Kurdish culture
- Ruler must hold titular kingdom title created from Yezidi Sheikhdom which has acquired dejure land on the map
- Ruler must be independent for achievement to kick off and not hold temporary titles

Note: Ruler must not be Yezidi for this to kick off, just to have been at some stage so he can create the title.

I have not personally created said title but I assume that it's a religious head title which would disappear if ruler switches religion. So in this case, one could be Yezidi, create said kingdom and then hand this duke title to one of his vassals and focus on some other duchy as his "capital" like Tabriz. If it does not disappear, whole thing is moot of course.

Of course, if this titular "Shahdom of Kurdistan" remains even if his main duchy disappears, it becomes irrelevant but if some duchies are tied to religion/culture, Paradox might wish to look how they work with titular system.
-------------------------------------------------

This would nice to try pull off. Main thing is to get Yedizi sheikhdom so you can create titular kingdom that has the "Yedizi sun" CoA and which is also on modern flag of Kurdistan :D

kurdistan_flag_postcard-r9f64c27efd294051829fd34f4b72f60c_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

Alternatively you could make it so, that ruler must hold titular kingdom acquired from one of the following duchies: Tabriz, Mosul or Jazira. But that would be less challenging and quite easy to achieve.

Last edited:
Wait so when I form my own Kingdom, what will the title of the Kingdom be?

Chronicle sounds good, but will it include important world events like crusades/mongol hordes?

Most importantly, when will Paradox get off its arse and add the Southwest Pomeranian culture group? Having to play regular Pomeranian is really game-breaking for me.

The new titular titles feature leavs me concerned that the map will take on worse shapes than it already does.
Now every duke with 3-4 counties can fancy himself a king? The map will be covered with 100's of this little Kings. For the sake of a decent map I hope that the former liege of the wannabee king immediately gets claims on his titles so he can slap him around good.

This is another step away from historical plausability and into the realm of fantasy. And i still dont get why Paradox keeps taking this approach.

The new titular titles feature leavs me concerned that the map will take on worse shapes than it already does.
Now every duke with 3-4 counties can fancy himself a king? The map will be covered with 100's of this little Kings. For the sake of a decent map I hope that the former liege of the wannabee king immediately gets claims on his titles so he can slap him around good.

This is another step away from historical plausability and into the realm of fantasy. And i still dont get why Paradox keeps taking this approach.
No more ahistorical than empires like Carpathia. This is what happened IRL. De facto independent Duke got powerful enough, gave pope a bribe, created himself a king. I think this happened with Portugal and Sicily. Only at later date this was no longer a case, since Burgundy wasn't able to become kingdom.

Will it be possible to take more people into hiding with you? I think taking your 18 year old fair lover will slow down you going crazy considerably.
Or having high learning, or scholar trait - a chance to finish up on your reading list, with nothing else to do. Conversely, a hunter or gregarious person wouldn't handle isolation so well.

No more ahistorical than empires like Carpathia. This is what happened IRL. De facto independent Duke got powerful enough, gave pope a bribe, created himself a king. I think this happened with Portugal and Sicily. Only at later date this was no longer a case, since Burgundy wasn't able to become kingdom.

You are correct that in early medieval history there were no strong affiliations to a kingdom, or strict borders for that matter. Maybe this is a feature that could be disabled after a certain calendar date like the turn of the XII century.

Poland is the one I'm looking forward to, in the dates before it happened it's no longer destined to, maybe the Slezanie will found the kingdom of Silesland (Silesia) instead.

Along with this comes new support for modders to dynamically change the coat of arms for any title through events or decisions or via the history files.

But you could create a new Kingdom / Empire via decision / event, too? So I don't need a titular Empire of Trebizond in titular titles anymore?

It is possible to change the title name too (Livonia --> Marian Confederation for example) and over all the ruler title via decision / event? Now set_title and set_title_prefix works only in the landed title file it will be beautiful if you could make these things moddable, too!

But you could create a new Kingdom / Empire via decision / event, too? So I don't need a titular Empire of Trebizond in titular titles anymore?

It is possible to change the title name too (Livonia --> Marian Confederation for example) and over all the ruler title via decision / event? Now set_title and set_title_prefix works only in the landed title file it will be beautiful if you could make these things moddable, too!
Empire of Kemi, anyone?

Can't have a evil empire of pohjola with a ugly 100 year old woman named "Louhi" as it's leader?

Definately not buying
Definitely not, if I also can't have the Kingdom of Kalevala stand against it.