• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
m6TYM4P.jpg

Because you asked for it…

Chapter 41: War Of The Americas!

ddVX8mK.png

We start this chapter with a bit of potentially bad news. If François II doesn’t produce an heir, this grand tale might just come to an unexpected end. There’s no reason to panic, though. The king is only 24, so he has plenty of time.

Anyway, I have other things on my mind, so I start by training 40 new regiments, which brings us over the Force Limit by a substantial amount. As a result, I find myself staring at -40 ducats per month. The French economy just can’t handle it, so I am forced to disband them again.

Time for plan B, then. I had hoped to have a full 50-regiment army in North America, but that will not happen, it seems. Instead, I send 28 regiments. Let’s hope it’s enough. Another 28 regiments get send to Suriname.

All this takes time, of course. While I am busy, The Thirteen Colonies declare war on Outremer, hoping to reconquer their lost territory. They will lose the war, at the cost of renouncing their claim on Manhattan.

Ibnd3Wb.png

This is going to take a long time, so I can safely secure new tech levels in both Administration and Diplomacy. With only about 50 years left on the clock, I am starting to wonder if I will even make it to tech level 32. Oh well, we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

rldTyFi.png

On the 19th of June, 1772, France declared Colonial War on Great Britain. Ostensibly, the target was the Gold Coast, an important center of trade. In reality, however, France had its eyes elsewhere.

zWS0otZ.png

Liège joins the war, as expected, and anticipated. This will give us a chance to grab Luxembourg, where we still have a claim. Kilwa doesn’t really concern me, but Hindustan does. I have 48 regiments ready to invade it. At the very least, I want that coastal province that seperates my Indian holdings. Fun little fact: Hindustan has expanded to the point where they now share a rather large border with Russia…

The Battle of Liège is over almost before it begins, which will turn out to be a good thing.

1pUrVrk.png

Here is why. The British navy will land a substantial army in Calais. I try to prevent the invasion, but the Royal Navy is still as unassailable as ever. They start with double the morale of my navy. I will end up losing over half the fleet before I can pull out, and the landings will still happen.
Unfortunately for them, on land, things are the other way around: French morale starts 2.4 points higher than the British morale does.

I kill half of their army in Calais. The rest run to Picardie, where they will obligingly wait for me to slaughter the rest of them. I love British Fair Play, don’t you?

Sometime later, they try again. Same story. Same outcome (without my losing any more ships this time). After that, they don’t bother me at home again.

vrudSfD.png

In the meantime, I have not been idle, of course. Gold Coast was undefended, a ripe fruit ready to be plucked. Neither does the army in South America encounter any kind of resistance when invading British Guyana.
In the great plains of North America, however, several battles will be fought. This is the first one.

Kilwa invades and occupies Sardinia. The only thing about this, that bothers me is the fact that they will loot the place twice by the time the war is over.

Ox7w3SE.png

I did make an error, though. I had forgotten Cameroon, which is a Portugese colony. No chance of getting access from them, of course. Maybe something for the next war.

Mp9pNx8.png

Another massive engagement in America. Don’t let the flag fool you: those were New Mexican forces.

All this time, Outremer is singlehandedly keeping both the Thrteen Colonies AND Newfoundland busy. No mean feat, considering the fact that Newfoundland basically encompasses 2/3rds of modern-day Canada. This means I can safely focus on New mexico.

jF6Cs5Z.png

This is New mexico’s last attempt at any sort of organised resistance. After this battle, they will be reduced to smal groups trying to survive long enough to make a difference.

By the 8th of March, 1774, Luxembourg is secure. As soon as I make peace with Liège, thereby freeing my home armies from worry, the game goes crazy on me. First the HRE DoWs Liège, pulling Great Britain and Lüneburg into the fray.
Then, the autopause freezes, and I am kicked out of Steam alltogether. Thankfully, I only lose 1 month.

When I restart, I am still at war with Liège. However, this time, the HRE doesn’t wait for peace and declares war right away. This means that the British and Lüneburg are again at war with the Empire.

TU7Or12.png

This must be Great Britain’s worst fear. They are now at war with France, Russia, Spain, Naples
and the Empire. All at once. Fun times!

VLgF94C.png

Here’s a picture I did not want you to miss. Russia is definitely coming through on this one!

yyLvhZa.png

By January, 1775, I am beginning to realise I made a serious mistake grabbing that Diplomatic Tech Level earlier. I will never be able to grab everything I want without making the war drag on for another 10 years or so. Besides, I have to be careful about my AE in Europe. I settle for Luxembourg and their entire treasury, in order to save up points for the peace negotiations with the British.

Money is not a problem this time. With war taxes and the money from Liège, I can even repay a loan while at war.
Neither is Manpower. At this point in the war, I still have almost 100,000 MP in reserve.

DP and OE are the true limits to my ambitions.

By August, 1775, I decide to call it quits. Like I said, I don’t want to drag this war on until I can gain another 300 DP (at a rate of 9 DP per month). There is a more practical consideration as well, though. As I told you, Outremer has done a splendid job throughout this war. But I can see that they are on their last legs up in the North. Those 30 enemy regiments extra, might tilt the war back into their favour.

YajbJlo.png

I grab about half of what I was after, but it is still a substantial gain. An important center of trade in Africa (with level-6 trade buildings no less!!), the Indian province I wanted in the first place, a bunch of stuff to reward Outremer and some stuff in the midwest. I can even start coring everything right off the bat, too.

zO31Zw2.png

The new situation in South America. I left Guyana out of the peace deal because it is useless to them now, and concentrate on the coast.

qzNAP4o.png

A world view of the French empire and its allies. And before you ask, yes, I did commit to a Royal Marriage with Naples. I still have that succession war hanging over me like the Sword of Damocles, remember?

See you next time!

Finally! The glorious French Empire unmatcheed and stretching across the 6 continents!

Finally! The glorious French Empire unmatcheed and stretching across the 6 continents!

Thank you. If I hadn't spend those ~400 DP earlier on, I could have made it all the way to OTL-Texas. I seriously appreciate that new Administrative Efficiency. Then again, I would have had serious OE issues, so I think it's good I ended it when I did.

I'd say quick wars/victories are the best kind...

That Russia is quite scary :eek:

Thank God they're on my side.

As for quick victories, my biggest weakness is that I tend to bite off more than I can chew. So I would have to agree with you on that one. "Winning wars without fighting" and all that.

As for quick victories, my biggest weakness is that I tend to bite off more than I can chew. So I would have to agree with you on that one. "Winning wars without fighting" and all that.

I'm also a bit more of an agressive player, so my comments may not be the most pacific ones. ;)

m6TYM4P.jpg

Chapter 42: Changing Worlds.​

After last chapter, France is rolling in money, so I take the opportunity to build Trade Company buildings in every Indian province. These double the provincial production values, and will undoubtedly make French India incredibly rich.

DkgsetJ.png

My heir dies, and dark clouds gather over Paris. Luckily, about a year later, a new heir is born, who will be a 3-2-5. Beggars can’t be choosers, and the succession is safe again.

oyEPo6Z.png

Expanding in Europe seems folly, right now, especially with over half my armies overseas. Luckily, Mali has no powerful allies anymore. They have existed long enough.

Scandinavia, in the mean time, kind of likes us. Even though we can’t become allies, we can still engage in a Royal Marriage to solidify our friendship.

In other news, Lüneburg is completely occupied by the Empire, which is still at war with Great Britain. Naples even managed to occupy Kent for a while.

My rebuild navy is growing again. I have 42 heavy ships again, and start working on strengthening the trade fleet.

Ming loses 6 provinces to Russia, and Portugal annexes Korea.

Osgr2qt.png

In November, 1778, the fabricated claim on Timbuktu is ready to be put to good use. The glorious French army annihilates the Malinese forces in one single battle. I start sieging Mali, and send the rest of my forces, 6,000 strong, to Kanem Bornu. They will start sieging Kanem, while I wait for the rest of my army to get there.

I get a Trade Company boom, with 10% trade bonus for 10 years. Very sweet.

Zbs46ZL.png

That is what I was afraid of. Lüneburg is broken beyond any hope of repair, and I lose my last truly European ally in a war I couldn’t stop. At least Russia is still growing stronger by the month, it seems. As long as they can contribute in a defensive war, I don’t think I will have much to be fear, even after Portugal closes an alliance with the Empire.

Sunni Zealots in Bure rise in respsonse to my missionary work there, and force me to delay the war effort. It will not be the last time rebels interfere, either.

Bulgaria, broken off from the Ottoman Empire a while back, caves under rebels, but the Ottomans don’t take advantage of the opportunity.

Februari, 1782. Most of Mali occupied, with a little help from Algiers, and I can really begin sieging Kanem Bornu.

YQFcILL.png

Scandinavia, Bohemia and Russia against the Livonian Order, Riga, Naples and the Empire. Spain and Portugal will later join this war. Scandinavia remains the war leader, and I am once again forced to sit this one out. Not that I mind, really. Right now, I am hoping to stay out of my neighbours’ hair for a while, and strengthen the economy.

YWhgJo5.png

A Malinese pretender ravages my meagre siege force in Timbuktu at the head of 18,000 followers before I can get reinforcements in place. This is really unexpected. I had placed a ton of artillery regiments there to help make the siege go faster. They only had 2 infantry regiments to back them up, so the blame is mine, I guess.

tk3aYtv.png

The one thing I don’t have to worry about, is the Holy See. I don’t know where the Pope resides right now, but wherever it is, they speak fluent French.

Algiers makes a seperate peace with Mali, forcing me to siege a province they had occupied, and Songhai declares war on Kanem Bornu. They start sieging the one free province they have. That’s ok. Since I have to wait anyway, I might as well let them take it first, before signing a peace deal.

Livonian Order loses Dorpat to Russia, and is reduced to the status of OPM.

zTMVUsR.png

Kanem Bornu is no more, and the West-African Trade Company grows tremendously. The annexation only brings up my OE to 30%, leaving plenty of room for Mali. I love it when a plan comes together!

An exceptional harvest gives me 50% Tax bonus for a year.
Bohemia loses 2 provinces and a strong ally (Scandinavia) in the peace deal with the Empire.

0bO5afX.png

Finally, on August, 20th, 1784, the last Malinese province is fully occupied. Unfortunately, annexing them would require 110% Warscore, so I settle for the next best thing.

I even have enough DP left to grab Diplomatic Tech level 28 on the same day. I also reach Military Tech level 29, giving me better artillery on that day.

A random event gives me a choice, and since Portugal already hates me, anyway, I choose the option that gives me a claim on Cameroon. You never know when that might come in handy.

My army in Africa spends the next couple of months running from revolt to revolt, but all provinces gained continue being cored.

In november of 1785, I reach Admininstrative Tech 29, raising my Administrative Efficiency to 75%, and giving me access to my final Idea Group. After some thought, I decide to go for Quantity Ideas. There is no such thing as having too many troops, provided you can pay for them.

I have over 6,000 Ducats in the bank. Time to go on a spending spree. Training Fields, Armories, Canals, Trade Depots, Shipyards, Courthouses, as well as 22 extra Threedeckers. In all, I spend over 3,000 ducats in one fell swoop.
God, it feels good being rich!!

Kro6swV.png

The final peace deal between Scandinavia and The Empire is kind of beautiful: each participant on their side gains 1 province.

eiuOt0U.png

The king dies a little too soon, leaving me with a regency for 6 years.

6Z5tfEw.png

I will close this chapter with a look at the strongest armies and navies in the world. As you can see, Russia really is a monster. An army of 308,000, with another 681,000 in reserve. Very, very scary.
As for my enemies, each of them would probably be no match for France, but if you put them all together, they too become kind of scary. I have about 96,000 men in France right now. The rest are all overseas, so, even without the regency, I wasn’t planning on any adventures in Europe anyway. If they declare on me, they will also have to deal with my BFF Russia. The 2 of us can muster over half a million troops, with almost a combined total of a million in reserve.

X3FizHI.png

The navies of the world. Great Britain is as scary on the high seas, as Russia is on land. I’ve read about people seeing the British fleet vanish into thin air, but in this game, they are as untouchable as they were in real life.
My navy is a work in progress, but what else in new, right? Portugal still has a more than respectable fleet, but look at Spain. Only 76 ships in total. I think they must have lost a bunch to the Russians.

Well, that is all for now. See you next time!

Or like in this case, wars that your enemies fight and lose without you lifting a finger :)

Vive La France..........in honor of Louis XIV's Birthday!

You are playing quite the maximum profit for least effort France........that is a good thing.

Reminds me of my current game but I never made it to India and the AI Armies are of laughable size compared to the monsters in your game.

A nice little African Empire you have there! Not sure on where you will go next, but with Russia's help the HRE (this really feels like a CK2 diminutive after using it so much in those forums) would be a good target. ;)

Or like in this case, wars that your enemies fight and lose without you lifting a finger :)

Yeah, how cool is that, right? In the case of Lüneburg getting squished, I failed to mention in the update that I tried to intervene, but that would have meant trying to force a truce for Britain's sake. Since we both hate each other, the game pretty much said: "No go, Joe."

Vive La France..........in honor of Louis XIV's Birthday!

You are playing quite the maximum profit for least effort France........that is a good thing.

Reminds me of my current game but I never made it to India and the AI Armies are of laughable size compared to the monsters in your game.

It's his birthday today? I did not know. You learn something new every day.

A nice little African Empire you have there! Not sure on where you will go next, but with Russia's help the HRE (this really feels like a CK2 diminutive after using it so much in those forums) would be a good target. ;)

Yeah, after their unification, it did not feel like the HRE anymore. That's why I started calling it The Empire. Now all I need is a archduke with a hood and a metal henchman.

On a more serious note, I don't see much chance for further expansion either. I have been thinking about it. Now, sure, I could grab some more British stuff overseas, and expand into Asia and so on. Grab my bit of China.

But I do feel like I have gotten as far as I possibly can, where it counts. On the one hand, maybe I should stop now. On the other hand, I've reached the 1780s. It's only about 35 years to go.

Don't get me wrong. I still love my France. I have had a blast with it.

What do you guys think? Should I go on, just for the sake of being able to say that I got to 1821 (possibly) intact? Or should I stop now, make one final epilogue chapter, and move on, before this campaign starts to bleed to death?
Discussion on.

What do you guys think? Should I go on, just for the sake of being able to say that I got to 1821 (possibly) intact? Or should I stop now, make one final epilogue chapter, and move on, before this campaign starts to bleed to death?
Discussion on.

Continue to 1821, Savoy and Corsica are still missing! ;) But you should defintely finish it before the Art of War as it will not be save-game compatible due to the big map changes outside of Europe. A final war to end all wars against the HRE is my vote.

Speaking of which, what IS the ETA for Art of War?

Finish it to 1821. So many games end......before the END!

Even if it is just an overblown Epilogue chapter.

I would say continue on, use the time to clean up your borders - finish off Mali, for example, and take that Imperial enclave in Vaud.

ok, then. The fans have spoken. Onwards we go.

ok, then. The fans have spoken. Onwards we go.

Nice !

I didn't ask you to continue because I've never finished a game in EU4 or CK2 (so I'm not really in position to give advice) but it's fine that we will see the end of it.

Let's hope so, because my save just froze, and the game closed on its own.

I'm not too worried; I've had that happen before, and the save was fine afterwards.