• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If they are in your Court, Kaarle, they will continue to be your vassal, not your Clan Leader's.

If you want them to become his and report to him, you can transfer a character to someone else's court in the diplomacy menu.

I'm currently a vassal of a daimyo, so if I give one of my provinces to someone else (e.g. my son), will they be my vassals or direct vassals of the daimyo?

They will become vassals of the Daimyo, you need to get one yourself to have vassals.

Blastaz makes a very important point. For the vassal to remain yours, you yourself must be a Daimyo when you transfer any land to him.

Otherwise, if you are only a Kokujin, the vassal will be the same "level" of importance as you, and will leave your court & report directly to the Clan Leader as one of his vassals.

I have petitioned for daimyo titles many a time as vassal but not once was granted the title.

I have 2 questions -

1. Have you ever successfully petitioned for a daimyo title from your liege?
2. How do you "work" on your liege to make him consider you for titles (opinion alone doesn't seem to be a deciding factor)?

BT, I've never been able to convince a Clan Leader to grant me a Daimyo title in the game, even at 90+/90+ opinion.

However, in one game my clan leader died, and his heir granted me the title when I requested immediately on that day. Apparently, the son was worried about all his vassals being so low in opinion of him and, to buttress his support, granted titles and kuni to vassals that asked. This was a limited-time offer: as shortly as one week later, he was refusing any and all requests, no matter who asked.

That's the only time I've ever seen it happen.

What effects do a clan leader/daimyo/kokujin's attributes (Diplo/Martial/Intrigue) have? Will I want to give my kori to characters with high stats or are the stats completely irrelevant?

Furrykef,

1. Diplomacy modifies army morale and the opinion ratings, both of your character towards others, and they towards him. It costs more honor to DOW someone who has a high opinion of you but, on the other hand, it is less likely they will go to war with you (instead of someone else they like less).

2. Martial directly affects combat and siege progress. A high rating in this skill is important for war, as your leader's rating will be compared to your opponent's in each battle & siege.

3. Intrigue affects the success probability of ninja missions.

The most important thing to consider when granting land and titles is the position in the clan hierarchy of the recipient. If he is a vassal Daimyo, Kokujin or the Clan Heir, it is very important to share with him. Otherwise, expect a rebellion, especially if the character is ambitious.

I was hoping for a more detailed answer... let's say I raise a levy and I send that unit off to fight another unit. What's this unit's overall Martial score? Is it the general's Martial + the kokujin's Martial? If the kokujin belongs to a daimyo, and the daimyo belongs to a clan leader, do these all get factored in, and if so, how? Or does all this stuff only apply to personal retinues and only the owner of the retinue has his Martial counted?

Furrykef, there isn't a whole lot more to say. Sengoku (like most Paradox games of this core design) uses a very simple system.

The only additional points that get added onto an individual character's rating on any skill are those of wives. The highest rated wife has half of the difference between their ratings added to her husband's base, if she is higher in a skill than him.

The levy's martial skill will be that of the character in charge of the army it's in. This army leader is appointed randomly by the computer, unless your own character's personal retinue is present, in which case he leads. You can see who is in charge by double-clicking on the army and mousing over the portrait of the character shown at the top left; a tool-tip will display of all his stats.

There are no additions to rating from the clan otherwise. Your highest-rated wife modifies your ratings if she's better (by half the difference between you); nothing else gets added in. The retinue-owner is used only if he's picked by the computer to be in charge of the whole army.

Bottom line: Hope your Clan Leader gets a good Martial rating. If he doesn't, bring plenty of troops.

Not really loving The Republic for CKII and so I'm back at Sengoku until the Pagan DLC is released. Anyway, need some advice on a few things:

1) What are the best ways to gain honour? I'm currently sending gifts to the emperor every chance I get, but it seems like such a huge waste of cash. Is there a better way that I'm missing?

2) What is the best way to strip titles from vassals? (I recently plotted successfully to take down a big clan with one of that clan's Daimyo, but now he makes up 70% of my clan's army and I need to revoke at least one of his Daimyo titles before he figures out that he can usurp the clan leadership from me). Is it just a matter of ninja -> lower his honour -> repeat as necessary until he'll agree to -> revoke title (and take the associated hit to my own honour), or is there a better way?

Anyway, I really appreciate any replies. I know this forum is not exactly packed with people anymore, but I'm hoping there are still some die hards out there that can help me out.

1) What are the best ways to gain honour? I'm currently sending gifts to the emperor every chance I get, but it seems like such a huge waste of cash. Is there a better way that I'm missing?

I've found making sure I'm the Shinto faction leader solves most honor issues. Convert to Shintoism early on, even if you can't claim the faction leadership. When you get more money, splurge on shrines on all of your directly controlled provinces. As the game goes on, you'll need to be careful to make sure you destroy any Buddhist temples you conquer before giving land to vassals. That keeps the dedication score up. It also doesn't hurt to buy some court ranks. Subsidizing the court and so on are one time honor bonuses - only really useful when you need honor in a hurry or you have money to waste. Early ranks are pretty small amounts of honor, but it adds up over time. The high ranks are actually worth a fair chunk of honor per month, but it takes awhile and a lot of money to get up to them. Control of the Shinto faction is far cheaper.

And of course, there's always the straight forward way of making honor - giving provinces and Daimyo titles out. I try to attack clans with a good number of provinces to give out if I can. Single province clans aren't worth the cost of declaring war on, unless I'm capped on honor anyways, or I desperately need a Daimyo title that they're blocking me from getting.

As for your second question - I can't think of a better answer than ninjas. You can dishonor him and revoke his titles. You could always assassinate him too, if you think you can handle his heirs better than him. Just make sure he doesn't catch you sending a ninja, or he will rebel.

I've found making sure I'm the Shinto faction leader solves most honor issues. Convert to Shintoism early on, even if you can't claim the faction leadership. When you get more money, splurge on shrines on all of your directly controlled provinces. As the game goes on, you'll need to be careful to make sure you destroy any Buddhist temples you conquer before giving land to vassals. That keeps the dedication score up. It also doesn't hurt to buy some court ranks. Subsidizing the court and so on are one time honor bonuses - only really useful when you need honor in a hurry or you have money to waste. Early ranks are pretty small amounts of honor, but it adds up over time. The high ranks are actually worth a fair chunk of honor per month, but it takes awhile and a lot of money to get up to them. Control of the Shinto faction is far cheaper.

Thanks for the reply. I'd totally forgotten about Shintoism and honour, so thanks for that. And I hadn't played enough before (or since latching onto CKII) to realize that there were court ranks above the first level and its rather lame +.02, and thus had never bought one. Thanks for the heads up! I am now bathing in honour!

What's a good way to deal with vassals of daimyo who have too many provinces under their control? The daimyo has given a number of provinces out, but then one of his vassals ends up controlling something like 10 provinces. Presumably that vassal is conquering them himself. I can let them rebel and take them over myself, but half the time, my vassals use their entourages to defeat the rebellion. Occasionally, the daimyo transfers their oversized vassal to me, and I can deal with it, but that doesn't seem reliable. Is there a better way of handling the oversized vassals?

What's a good way to deal with vassals of daimyo who have too many provinces under their control? The daimyo has given a number of provinces out, but then one of his vassals ends up controlling something like 10 provinces. Presumably that vassal is conquering them himself. I can let them rebel and take them over myself, but half the time, my vassals use their entourages to defeat the rebellion. Occasionally, the daimyo transfers their oversized vassal to me, and I can deal with it, but that doesn't seem reliable. Is there a better way of handling the oversized vassals?

This can be really frustrating. I'd like a solution as well, if there's one out there.

I read through the entire thread trying to find the answer to this question, only to see it on the last page! The only thing I could think of was to save, open up that save as my own daimyo, then give that vassal a daimyo title. Then save and reload as the clan leader of course. I hate that it feels like cheating, but since there isn't really another solution and leaving it alone doesn't make the game difficult but more annoying.

Anyone know of a way to disable to request for title events that seem to happen every few seconds? Or just some way to default them all to "never in a million years" which is what I assume happens if you ignore them.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but im on a dial up connection and dont want to spend 30 minutes reading through the pages.

one of my Daiymos subjects has like 9 lands, and some others have like 7 and 8 after i wrecked a clan. How do i either get the lands from them or get their daiymo to get their lands from them? The rebellions are ridiculous

Are the character personalities/bonus already counted in the endresult of a stat?
When it says the character has diplomacy 6 and has some personalities which would give +2 diplomacy, does it mean the real diplomacy is 8 or is the +2 already in the 6?

Are the character personalities/bonus already counted in the endresult of a stat?
When it says the character has diplomacy 6 and has some personalities which would give +2 diplomacy, does it mean the real diplomacy is 8 or is the +2 already in the 6?

It should mean he has base diplomacy 4 with the +2 bonus bringing him to 6. I'm not sure if you can hover over that stat to see the math breakdown in Sengoku, but the stat on the character page should reflect the final score with all modifers calculated.

Hm, ok. The game feels more and more like a beta. Now my leader died, his eldest son became the successor. He has two brothers but I can't assign them as heir. If I do grant them land, I can assign them as heir but get the message that it's not the right successor of the clan.
Is there any way I can fix that? It's stupid and annoying, the brother of the current leader (same mother/father) should be valid as successor, shouldn't he?

Oh, also: I thought when exchanging hostages it would only be the young children. But now he took my eldest son 19 year old ...

Ah, I got a new guy at my court and he wants to be minister of diplomacy but when I want to reassign a new minister, there's noone to choose from (tried reloading the save). Is it a bug or did I miss something?