• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

richvh

Preserver of the Light
62 Badges
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
This will be an AAR using the mod Lux Invicta, an alt-history mod where all the great leaders of the past have left title-holding descendants in small state throughout the map. Originally created by the great Shaytana, it has been preserved and kept up to date with game changes by a small group of enthusiasts after Shaytana's mysterious disappearance from the forum. I recently added a series of decisions and events involving the Luwian group of religions (based on the ancient Hittite faith), and this AAR will try to take advantage of (and further test) these new features.

I will be playing as Isauria, the sole Luwian realm, and try to restore the ruined city of Chattousa (Hattusas), the ancient Hittite capital, currently in Galatian hands, and try to achieve the status of the sun goddess Arinniti's Consort, as Emperor Leo III did, or Arinniti in Flesh, as Empress Irene did (see the timeline Shaytana posted in the thread linked above.)

First try:

Chapter 1 A dream from Arinniti?
Chapter 2 A New Start
Chapter 3 Lykia
Chapter 4 Rhodos

Reboot:
Chapter 1 A dream from Arinniti?
Chapter 2 Civil War
Chapter 3 War for Laodikeia

Rewind:
Chapter 2 Civil War
Chapter 3 War and Scheming
Chapter 4 War and Inheritance
Chapter 5 War and Possession
Chapter 6 Apotheosis
Chapter 7 Young Lives Cut Short
Chapter 8 Rejection
Chapter 9 War and Empire

Reboot:
Chapter 1 A dream from Arriniti?
Chapter 2 Eulogy to Leon XII
Chapter 3 Family Tragedy
Chapter 4 Intrigue and Retribution
Chapter 5 Postscript to a Reign

Last edited:
I will be playing as Isauria, the sole Luwian realm, and try to restore the ruined city of Chattousa (Hattusas), the ancient Hittite capital, currently in Galatian hands, and try to achieve the status of the sun goddess Arinniti's Consort, as Emperor Leo III did, or Arinniti in Flesh, as Empress Irene did (see the timeline Shaytana posted in the thread linked above.)
U wot? I guess I'd have to follow.

This is the first LI AAR I have ever seen. subsandwiched

Chapter 1
A Dream from Arinniti?

I called a meeting of the Royal Council of Isauria. "Gentlemen, last night I had a dream. A lady, limned by a blinding light, appeared to me. She showed me ruins in a mountain valley, and commanded me to rebuild... I don't know, Hatshade? Catshop? I can't quite seem to remember that part."

Komes Antipater of Cibyra, my Pneumatikos Pater, spoke up. "Sire, might that have been Chattousa?"

"Yes, yes, that must be it! Um, what's Chattousa?"

"As is written in our sacred histories, before we of the Luwian faith were driven from our homeland into Isauria, we ruled a vast empire which treated with the Pharaohs of Egypt as equals. The capital of that empire was at Chattousa. As you would know if you had ever made the pilgrimage to the capital of the neighboring kingdom of Galatia, or even had paid attention in our classes, the ruins are even to this day visible, though some say that those are but the remains of Emperor Leo III's attempt to revive the city."

"Well, then, I guess we'll just have to get the place from the Galatians. Surely they have no interest in a bunch of dusty ruins?"

Antiochos, a man of no rank or family who had been raised to the post of Domestikos for his military ability, rose and pounded on the table. "Sire, that is the site of their capital. The Galatians are a proud and warlike people, and would not surrender it lightly. And we do not have the resources to take it from them, when we scarce have enough manpower to repel their attacks, even with the aid of the Isaurian Guard and the Consorts of Arinniti."

"Well, it shouldn't be that hard to get the resources, right?"

Komes Narses of Lisdra, my Sakellarios, stood up and shook the shief of figure filled papers he was rarely seen without. "Sire, we have scarce recovered from the last war with the Galatians, in which, might I remind you, we only avoided losing because their king died, and they all went back to squabbling amongst themselves. We are years away from being able to afford another serious war with the Galatians. And there are also Pergamon, Kilikia and Nicaea to worry about, and the Imperium Romanum, though much reduced of late, is not toothless."

"Details, details. I'm sure we can work things out in time."

Dismissing the council. I left the room.

----

Archon Hypatios of Gaspadale, Kanikleios of the Kingdom of Isauria, turned to Antipater as the king left. "You don't think he's serious about having a dream from the Goddess, do you?"

"The man sleeps through temple services, and married a Solar Christian. It's all politics to him."

Last edited:
This is the first LI AAR I have ever seen. subsandwiched

There are a few other LI AARs, such as the other one in my sig, but most are short (mine is by far the longest), and all are over a year old.

Chapter 2
A New Start

Isauria.jpg

Isauria and nearby realms

I don't remember Daddy, he died when I was very young. Mummy says he died because he was a filthy unbeliever, but she doesn't go to temple with the rest of the court and the priests says she is a filthy unbeliever, and I once heard Nanny tell someone he died because "he was diddling a jealous man's wife", whatever that means.

incapable_or_lustful.jpg

Lux Invicta is full of flavor events like this one written by Shaytana, which can have serious consequences.

leon_XII_death.jpg

Nanny was right. I was lucky that Leon's wife had already presented him with a son.

Oh, who am I? I'm Zenon. They call me Zenon IX in court, but I don't know why, I'm only six. They call Daddy Leon XII, but isn't twelve too young to be a daddy?

Nanny says I'm old enough to start taking lessons now. She's already been telling me about Daddy's dream. It's something about a goddess and rebuilding an old city. Is that something I should do when I grow up?

Chapter 3
Lykia

To the Most Honorable Protarchon of the City-State of Rhodos, Eirenaios apo Haraki, greetings.

Whereas the Province of Lykia is rightwise part of the Despotate of Isauria, and

Whereas the City-State of Rhodos has recently forcibly and unlawfully occupied and annexed the Province of Lykia,

We are sending you this missive to inform you that the forces of the City-State of Rhodos have one month to evacuate the Province of Lykia, or face Our wrath on the field of battle.

Cordially yours,

Zenon, called the Farmer, Ninth of his name, Despot of Isauria

----

Zenon read over the parchment one last time, then affixed his seal to it. Looking up from the council table where he was seated, he glanced to the corner where couriers and other aides waited and observed the council meeting.

"Courier!"

"Sire!"

"Bring this letter to the Rhodian ambassador."

"Immediately, Sire!"

Standing, he walked to the window and looked out over the city.

"There. It's done. The first step in achieving my father's dream."

The Domestikos, Antiochus, came up behind Zenon.

"But Sire, how does this advance your father's dream? Chattousa is in the exact opposite direction."

"It's simple, really. Lykia is land that all acknowledge is legally Isaurian, whereas Chattousa and the intervening lands have been Galatian for centuries. It is much easier , and more acceptable to our neighbors, to annex Lykia than lands that no Luwian has ruled since time immemorial. Besides, if we can not humble the merchants of Rhodos, what hope do we have against the warriors of Galatia?"

"Sire, you know that I have opposed this war from the beginning. It wastes resources that could be used to improve the realm, increasing tax revenue and strengthening the realm. You have heard all this before, and dismissed my concerns. But, is it wise to go to war, when you do not yet have an heir male of the body?"

This was the aging Komes Narses, the Sakellarios.

"My concubine Iustina is with child. If Arinniti is kind, she will bear me a healthy son. If not... well, I am still young."

Narses turned and left, shaking his head. "The young always think themselves immortal."

---

The Isaurian forces, numbering over 5000, marshalled on the border with Lykia. The Rhodian forces, numbering less than 3000, gathered in Lykia, then withdrew across the strait to Rhodos when the Isaurian host advanced.

The siege of Halikarnassos was proceeding apace when Narses approached Zenon in the siege camp.

"Sire, this war is costing too much. The treasury will be bare inside a month if something isn't done."

"Let me see your figures." Zenon studied the papers, then nodded. "I'll order the walls to be assaulted, then dismiss the Isaurian Guard when Halikarnassos is taken. Seek a war tax from the komital council."

---

Halikarnassos had fallen, and Telmissos put under siege when two messengers rode into camp and sought an audience with Zenon.

"What news?"

"The Rhodians have landed at Attaleia, and are investing the capital!"

"Hm... without the Isaurian Guard, we don't have the numbers to attack them without taking serious losses. And your news?"

"The peasants in Ikonion are revolting!"

"All peasants are revolting. What's so special about the ones in Ikonion?"

"They are revolting against your rule, Sire! A mob of over 1700 are attacking the castle, demanding land reform!"

"I will wager that we can take the remaining holdings here in Lykia before either group can accomplish much."

And so a race of sorts started, which in the event the Isaurians won, taking Telmissos and Myra before the peasant revolt could accomplish much, or the Rhodians could take more than the castle. Bypassing Attaleia, the Galatians advanced on Ikonion.

As the battle lines were drawn up, Zenon noticed that the Consorts of Arinniti were not joining the lines. He approached the Grandmaster, Theodoulos the Prudent, to inquire what the problem was.

"Those men are good Luwians. Unlike the Appolo-Helioseans of Rhodos, it would be against our vows to kill them. Would that I could turn you aside from your course, and bring peace between you and them."

"I take no pleasure in killing my subjects, but they are the ones who decided on open revolt rather than presenting petitions with their grievances. Doubtless they were egged on by agents of Rhodos or Galatia."

---

With the peasants dispersed and their ringleader in the dungeon, it was time to deal with the Rhodians. They had abandoned their siege of Side after the Isaurians had evacuated Lykia, and headed there to take back their lost holdings. With his forces somewhat depleted from dealing with the peasants, Zenon, in consultation with his Domestikos, decided to release the levies and raise new ones, though this would leave the levies from Attaleia vulnerable to being overrun if the Rhodians should decide to attack them.

His gamble paid off. The Rhodian army force marched into Attaleia and routed the Attaleian levies, but were in turn taken in the rear by the advancing Isaurian main body. With his army demoralized and routed, Protarchon Eirenaios soon sought surrender terms. Zenon returned to Dorylaion to meet his new daughter and celebrate the victory with his wife.

Last edited:
Chapter 4
Rhodos

To the Basileus of Krete, Apollophanes, called the Anger-Filled, greetings

Whereas, the Island of Rhodos is rightwise part of the Despotate of Isauria from time immemorial, and

Whereas, the Kingdom of Krete has unlawfully occupied and despoiled Rhodos without Our consent,

Know ye that the forces of Krete have one month to evacuate Rhodos, or face Our wrath.

By my hand,

Zenon, called the Farmer, Ninth of his name, Despot of Isaura.

After applying his seal, Zenon handed the parchment to a courier to carry to the Kretan embassy.

"This should be an easier war than the last. We have a bigger warchest and more levies are available than before, and Krete has most of their forces in Greece, trying to conquer Corinth. And there are no fears of my dying without an heir; between my wife and concubines, I have plenty of sons."

Indeed, the war proceeded smothly, as the Isaurian army marshalled in Lykia,, then crossed the strait to Rhodos unopposed. One after another the strongpoints of Rhodos were put under siege, and fell. However, when the siegeworks had barely been constructed around Karpathos, the last remaining resistance to Isaurian forces, word arrived that Alexeia the Rough, Queen Regnant of Kyrene, had been persuaded to join her father in the defense of Rhodos.

"Captain, what sort of forces can Kyrene field?"

Captain Leon had recently taken command of the Isaurian Guard, and been appointed Domestikos of Isauria.

"Somewhat more than 2000, about the same as Krete. Even if Krete evacuates Greece and joins forces with Kyrene, we outnumber them, even without the Guard, which has remained in camp at Dorylaion per your instructions. I also highly doubt that Kyrene can scrape together enough ships to ferry their army over the sea as a unit, rendering them vulnerable to defeat in detail."

A messenger ran up. "Sire! Word from the harbor watch. The Kretan fleet has sailed in and landed a force on the beach!"

"How many?"

"A few hundred. We made short work of them, but a prisoner was interrogated, and revealed that Akhaia had surrendered Korinthos to Krete, and the main army is marching overland."4

Another messenger ran up. "Sire! The Kretan vanguard has been spotted on the Ephesos border, about to cross into Lykia."

"How many?"

"Patrols report that there are a few hundred in the vanguard, but the main body numbers near 2000 and is not far behind."

"Send for Grandmaster Theodoulos."

Theodoulos had been grandmaster of the Consorts of Arinniti as long as Zenon could remember.

"Your Majesty, have you work for our lances? This sitting around waiting for garrisons to starve is not fit work for us."

"Aye. Cross the channel and disperse the Kretan vanguard, then prepare defensive positions against and advance from Ephesos. Should the Kretan main army attack, I shall lead half the levies to relieve you."

"Hah! It will be my pleasure. Those sun worshippers won't know what hit them!"

As expected, the Consorts routed the vanguard before the main Kretan army arrived and attacked, only to be taken in the rear by the levies under Zenon. Even as battle raged on the mainland, the Kretan fleet landed another small force on Rhodos. A small Kyrenean stood offshore, but made no effort to land troops on either front.

As the Isaurian forces in Lykia regrouped for one final push, a herald with a white flag rode out between the battle lines. Conducted to the Isaurian camp, he stated that his liege was seeking terms of surrender, in order to avoid the needless slaughter of his few remaining troops.

Last edited:
Any one know how to fix it when you can't click to select provinces or units?

Ikonion used to be the capital of Isauria in previous versions of Lux Invicta; with the map expansion, it's been moved to Phrygia.

This AAR is on hold while a consistent CTD is sorted out.