• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dev Diary: The Middle East:
By Professor Enlil E. Enlil

As you know, there is a West and an East.

In the middle of the East, is a land known to the tribal peoples as, The Middle East.

At this time, there are a variety of interesting and cool starts for a CK2 player, and not a decadence invasion in sight, for there is no Islam. Yet.

Allow me to take you on a journey, and show you the wonders of Enlil's Revamped and Exciting Persia (Patent Pending)

Sassanid Persia:
Ruler: Shahanshah Peroz Yazdegerdzade Sassanid
Culture: Persian
Religion: Zoroastrian
0zCSl2H.png

History: Emperor of the greatest empire ever, and unfortunately in a bad situation. Surrounded by barbarians and hordes, and rebellious provinces. And historically
will be killed by the Hepthalite Invaders.

Why should you play him:
Even though his Empire is large, he still is in a difficult position. Being the third most poweful nation, the Shah of Shahs can recruit 7,277 soldiers, plus
3,000 more in mercenaries to his aid. Unfortunately, militarily he is equal with Byzantium, but is aided by his military alliances with the Lakhmids and Sabirs,
who might push the scales in his favor.

Most of the vassals of his Empire are mostly compliant, but the frontier with Byzantium is still disorganized. Managing this great Empire will be a challange,
and even if the great Hordes are beaten off, the ways of an Arab prophet can spell doom for a weakened Empire

Satrapy of Khuzestan
Ruler: Satrap Fariborz Karen
Culture: Parthian
LcauQG3.png

History:
We all know of the Karens, one of the 7 Parthians, and hard start for the Old Gods. Now, the Karens are further south, and much weaker, though protected from
harm. Unlike the other of the 7, the Karens are one of the only families that are actually descended from the Parthian Empire.

Why should you play them:
They are an ancient Parthian dynasty, and though their demense is small, it contains many holdings and upgrades. They are a fairly easy start, and perfect
for a player seeking to dive into the strife and politics that take place within the Persian Empire.

The Bedouins
Culture: Bedouin
Religion: Semitic Pagan
fk25U9L.png

History:
After defeating a great Arab army, their forces were relocated to Kerman and Avhaz by Shapur II

You are a single count, surrounded by foreigners, who practice an organized religion. You were placed in these areas for the sole purpose of never being able
to threaten Persia again. Will you defy the advanced society that captured and moved you, and rise from the defeat dealt to you in 379, or will you assimilate into
the Empire instead.

Maysan:
Culture: Helleno-Aramaic
Religion: Hellenic Pagan
53J4fHb.png

History: Originally a Satrapy founded near the end of the Seleucids, then a kingdom, conquering Mesopotamia, the beaten to nothing with the rise of the Sassanids.
Maysan is not the true name of your Kingdom, and you are no Shah.

Maysan is not the true name of your Kingdom, and you are no Shah. You are the remains of Alexander's Empire, and you have almost succeeded once. Now your oppressors
will not relent until your lands are divided among Karen and Maka. As the last remains of the Seleucid Empire, you are the last Diadochi.

Mazun Satrapy:
Ruler: Kurush Maka
Religion: Zoroastrian:
EoqdZak.png

History: You are the appointed governor of Mazun, the lands of South Arabia.

Your hard work is not appreciated by the people, who prefer their nomadic ways, to your Persian Sponsored life. Your satrapy has often been asylum for
the enemies of the Sassanids, and the Emperor, and you dislike the current acomondations. Will a new, Persian Shahdom arise in South Arabia,
safe from the fall of the Sassanids. Or will it be lost, despite the Emperor's efforts, to the unrelenting hordes from Arabia.

Mihran
Yazdegerd Mihran
i0KFMaP.png

History:The Mihran family has always been ambitious, ruling 3 Caucasian nations, Iberia, Gogarene, and Albania at different times, even taking over
the Empire in 590.

Just because you are not actually descended from the Parthians, doesn't mean your clan isn't meant for greatness. You are easily the most powerful
vassal in the Empire, and this is to your advantage.

The Eastern Satraps:

History: Satraps? In the East? Genius!

Why should you play:

Populated with a great deal of dynasties of little respect, a few of the Seven Parthians rule these eastern lands. Sistan is even ruled by the Surens,
the oldest of the 7, and an actual Parthian. Playing as the other 2 Partians, Ispahbudhan and Spandiyadh are truly chalenging, with the Hepthalite hordes
prepared to destroy you. Sarens though are a unique option. They are the controllers of the only Steppe-Horde free pass into India, with the rebellious
Gupta vassals easy to grab. The Surens used to rule the Indo-Parthian kingdom, will they again?

Dahae Confederation:
Ruler: Kopharnos Pharnakionos
Culture: Dahi
Religion: Tabitian
PatJha7.png

History: Confederation of the Dahi. Gave name to Dihistan

Why should you play:

The Dahi are a confederation of 3 iranian tribes, formerly. The 3rd tribe, the Parni would go their own way,and conquer the Seleucids, and was assimilated
into Parthian culture. Now, the Dahae are not exactly in an Empire building position, with the Hepthalites in power. A good choice of action would be to
gain independence from the Sassanids. And move westward...

Atropatene
Ruler: Khudayar Zik

History: yaydee yah, one of the seven parthians yah yah, not really from the Parthians.

You are not exactly the most prestigious of the 7 Parthian Clans, though your family is quite powerful in your immediate region. Unfortunately, this
power will be lost, and the Ziks will dissapear into history.

Adiabene
Ruler: Satrap Thamhais Abahu
Culture: Aramean
Religion: Nestorian
4k0ulh8.png

History: The province of Adiabene remained locally governed, and was never truly part of the Empire.

Why should you play them;
You are a true Assyrian, you dialect, architecture, and religion are all in the Assyrian way. You live in the old Assyrian cities, and your Empire is not dead.
Though the old ways of Ashurism were recently lost by the rulers, the population still worshipps the old gods of Ashur, Marduk, and Enlil. Assyria could be
yours again, should the Sassanids fail to control your province.

Arbayistan, Persian Armenia:
Ruler: Sahak Bragatuni II
Culture: Armenian
Religion: Miaphysite:

History: Usurped control from the governor Adhur Gushnasp, and would rise in rebellion

Why should you play: The Armenians are in a predicament, as their land is dominated by the Persians. At last, there is hope for Armenia to be reborn,
and the Bagratuni are more than willing to oblige.

The Not-Sassanids;

Mazandaran:
Ruler: Gushnasp Gashnaspian
Culture: Amardian
Religion: Nicene

History: Would continue to hold out against Sassanid aggression for another hundred years

Why should you play: Christianity in the east has always been removed from the Patriarch's power, and Nestorians, Monophysites, and other heretics
spread the false doctrines Easrward. Luckily, the Armadians were brought into the true faith, and the Nicene church has claimed the most Eastward converts.
Unfortunately, their new converts were no Clovis, instead, they settled with the weak Kingdom of Mazandaran, which is now too distant to recieve help from the church.
Now, the Armadians are seperated from their brothers, isolated from the other patriarchs. Making a breeding ground for heresy.

Lakhmids:
Ruler: King Al-Aswad Lakhmid

History: Migrated here, once enemies of the Sassanids now. Dry stuff huh. Boring. Well, you can google it for yourself I guess. No more history
section.

Why should you play them: The goal of the Lahkmids was to form a Pan-Arabian kingdom, a feat that the other Arabs, and foreigners would not like
to see accomplished. But under strong leadership, and Persian allies, Amr's dream can come true.

Khwarezmian Empire:
Ruler: Shahanshah Kay Khursaw Siyavash
Culture: Khwarezmian

Why should you play:
If it was thought that Persia would suffer from the Hepthalites, the Khwarezmians would beg to differ. The Hepthalite invasions will spell the end of their
nation, and it doesn't seem likely that they'll survive.

Hepthalites:

Meh, they aren't really meant to be played as, more of against. They'll blob a bit, and then get destroyed by the multitude of other Hordes. If that's
you kind of game, then go for it. I'm not going to judge.

Kidarites:
Ruler; Pao Vinayaditya Kidara
Culture: Xionite
Religion: Buddhist
ltwl0Bn.png

Why?: The Kidarites actually flourished under the rule of the Hepthalites, but they too will burn with the Hepthalite Empire. Will their defeated horde rise
again?

Bonuses!:

Because your Emperor loves his subjects, he has included delicious non-Persia pictures to entertain and amaze. There is even an India one!

South Arabia
8Y1jPVS.png

South Semitic Cultures:
tFFNmMj.png

An unsatisfactory India picture of just Gupta.
BMlLrK3.png

Macromanni:
oLXAGSA.png

Kalash People:
ltwl0Bn.png

A Migratory Zoroastrian Khaganate:
rj11EZR.png

But Enlil we want maps!

Fine! You've convinced me:

Religious:
pxTZzU9.png

Cultural:
01wNB09.png

Economic:
QQUMXGA.png

Impressive work.
I just hope vanilla bugs don't threaten this too much.
Great overhaul. One i'd rather play .

:cool:

Impressive work.
I just hope vanilla bugs don't threaten this too much.
Great overhaul. One i'd rather play .

:cool:

Actually, we have solved a great deal of bugs, including the special troops one.

Amazing Enlil, but why isn't the entire Euphrates controlled by the Persians?

I do not know. What provinces should they be given.

Excellent, after that khaganate screenshot I want to know if I can unite Europe under Mazdakism, Lux Invicta style. :p

Yep, with these Hellenic and Assyrians and scythians, the reality can be as crazy as Lux Invitca. India has surprises like this too.

Actually, we have solved a great deal of bugs, including the special troops one.

I rather thought of the "gavelkind inheritance bug and title getting destroyed" and the "lose all non-dejure vassals after rebellion or inheriting a higher title" bug,
though i haven't experienced them myself, only read about them.
Don't play CK2 right now anyway.
Mayb i overrate the bugs reports i read, dunno. :mellow:

I do not know. What provinces should they be given.

Personally I doubt that an empire such as the Persian one would not be able to control the southern Mesopotamian cities
and I think these maps would be of some use: http://www.worldhistorymaps.info
and http://geacron.com/home-en/ (this one though might be best used with other ones and might include some inaccurate things).
If I am mistaken then please say so.

I think that the Euphrates is good as is, it looks like the Lakhmids controlled part of the river. The eastern and western borders of the empire seem off, but that could be map projection weirdness.

Great dev-diary. I usually play in Western Europe, but all of this makes me very interested in playing a game in the East. i like how detailed the first post where and post after post was more and more short. Do you mind if I use parts of it for an update on the French forums?

2. I will let you, only because your choice in avatar is fabulous.

Not biased at all... :p

One I idea I have is to completely seperate it from kingdoms, and make geographical regions. Each region will have a trade-center, and I will assign the modifiers duchy by duchy, because they are static.

Makes sense for the trade. What is the problem with having the regions though? Also, what happened with the dynamic duchies while I was away?

Funny. Just this morning I was thinking about wanting to play as Sassanid Persia during the Arab conquests. Then stumbled upon this mod.

Looks great!

I can confirm that it is. ;)

I rather thought of the "gavelkind inheritance bug and title getting destroyed" and the "lose all non-dejure vassals after rebellion or inheriting a higher title" bug,

I do not know about that bug, but the gavelkind sucession in itself is definetly an issue due to the mess it systemetically creates. :angry: The other bug, though is really anoying (I lost my vassal that became my liege (as the new leader of the rebellion), then lost all of my troups in assaulting far east provinces to finally cede away my title to a rebellion.

Last edited:
reading the possibilities of the the melting pot cultures and religions plus that germanic avar khanate..... i'm going to need to step away from my computer for a minute

what is that one province purple religion in carthage?

reading the possibilities of the the melting pot cultures and religions plus that germanic avar khanate..... i'm going to need to step away from my computer for a minute

what is that one province purple religion in carthage?

Well it is called "When the World Stopped Making Sense".

For the religion, Valentinianism (I was wrong, though) I think. But be aware that if you saw that in an old screen (front page) it might be outdate.

Last edited:

Migrations are an awesome and wonderful thing.

The religion is Carthage is all that is left of Donatism.

Oh, okay. Are the 7 tribes traits bloodline traits?

Will the religion icons be resized? They look a little... large in the pictures. It almost looks as if someone mapped the large icon path to the small icon one.

That's exactly what I did. I accidentally messed up the small one when adding the new icons, so that is merely a temporary solution.

Will the religion icons be resized? They look a little... large in the pictures. It almost looks as if someone mapped the large icon path to the small icon one.

Yes I also noticed it. It is probably WIP from bontanels latest work.

Status
Not open for further replies.