• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter VI: Maybe I’ll Come Up with a Name for This Chapter Later, But This One Is Long Enough, so I Got That Going for Me, Which Is Nice

Here’s the announced retreat from the last chapter. Note the difference in numbers. Impact of Nationalist TACs is clearly visible.

JVOZ1LD.gif

6iFvhL1.gif

Some bad news comes from Xifeng in late September, where the militia division is forced to retreat. KMT is threatening to cut off our supply lines! This threat is averted as soon as it was announced though.

180jtaa.gif

Pingliang attacked and later taken yet again.

PHw82eX.gif

XuXicWU.gif

Xining is captured and is soon under attack. Oddly enough, all of the Ma forces already escaped from the pocket.

DBNSPOG.gif

As soon as the attack is repulsed, mountaineers proceed to keep pushing towards Golmud.

FOP4Csb.gif

The situation turns dire in the east however. KMT is about to cut off our supply lines by taking Xifeng.

bAdNu4r.gif

A furious counterattack is launched and the threat ends as soon as it began. It causes some delay in the advance of our mountaineer divisions towards Golmud due to supply issues though.

uAMRiZF.gif

YLSbSE1.gif

Attack on Pingliang is staged yet again, to put the KMT under some more pressure.

iSDD07I.gif

This is the overall situation in 16th December. Looking good!

7B5CVOH.gif

At the end of the year, our forces are forced out of Xi’an.

cRN1evd.gif

hBudNM8.gif

More action takes place in the west.

5uXHIMW.gif

Y1U51FS.gif

BuM8vHX.gif

Finally, on 10th February, the battle of Golmud started. Ma militia division couldn’t do much against experienced mountaineers!

y5fC8Y6.gif

IjsTi0t.gif

Chapter VII: Reinforcements!

Despite being forced out of Tongchuan, hostiles are forced out of Longxian to outflank it.

WtBWQym.gif

Golmud is secured in early March.

In order to put divisions in Tongchuan into real pressure, our forces have to make it all the way to Xi’an.

a9c2G98.gif

I license a single fighter wing from the Soviet Union. I hope to get an airfield soon to fend off those pesky Nationalists’ TACs!

f7NNHVc.gif

Our troops are forced both out of Hancheng and Xi’an. This doesn’t look very good...

R4JLjIu.gif

Nationalists launch an attack on Longxian. The struggle lasts for several days.

oHANJAK.gif

Due to poor KMT's planning, two divisions defending Xi’an are battered and cannot resist four divisions of our own.

zwBLhoZ.gif

In the end, the battle in Longxian ends in a pyrrhic victory. Only one of the militia divisions wasn’t forced out.

ZZa4OsD.gif

Leaving Xi’an to its fate, troops are shifted towards Tianshui, where the resistance was spotted to be quite light.

ILgrcE3.gif

Exploiting this, several divisions are rushed to Hanzhong and an infantry division is to march to undefended Tianshui. Ma Clique is expected to surrender after this fatal blow.

g2zMBWi.gif

On 15th May, both Ma Hongkui and his government surrender. Both KMT’s minor allies are out of the way!

6Vqwv2w.gif

It takes two months to consolidate a brand new offensive. Hancheng is attacked.

zpBEFBF.gif

In late August, Xi’an is taken once again.

OEQHnXz.gif

In mid-September, it seems KMT is on the run in the west.

b7vCCJx.gif

I could destroy that HQ if I wanted to...

BCX0lD4.gif

A month later, now it seems it’s the communists who are on the run. KMT sent massive reinforcements to the area.

4BWAq96.gif

However, on 11th October, KMT is now in deep trouble. With the whole Shanxi buzzing with communist partisans ready to rise up, combined with the Japanese advance, the situation was looking ugly for the Nationalists.

9zOTdVi.gif

Thanks for the comment, I was expecting a warning from some mod for multiple-posting quite soon :happy:

Japan will definitely take some pressure off of your strained divisions :)

Yes, they have. I'm one chapter ahead, though nothing else than liberation of Suiyuan happened. Japanese are advancing well, though they cannot (re)capture any of my territory on the way, so they're leaving a bulge named Shanxi behind. Shame I cannot ally with the Nationalists now :blush:

Last edited:
Chapter VIII: Shanxi and Suiyuan Revolt!

Let’s fire up the revolt! NRA won’t know what hit them!

SHOBZDJ.gif

Lots of militias and partisans pop up. Click here to find out who the hell are partisan units in HoI 3!

kcJbCjF.gif

D-Day + 4. More provinces are liberated, no real fights have happened yet, except for kicking out some HQs here and there.

UU28lD0.gif

For some reason, Japanese cancelled my military access. I don’t like this...

jxq2Iji.gif

For some reason, first real fighting takes over a week to start. My partisans get squashed nevertheless.

E4a8AEX.gif

D-Day + 10. Nationalists start to get their act together and are sending in divisions from the south.

X0zaI6V.gif

Shilou is attacked the same day, but the attack is called off later on. We need to link up with our revolters!

deYeKYQ.gif

z0x1Cj8.gif

D-Day + 14. I control quite a nice chunk of territory, but Nationalists are storming me in force.

Pv7xJBm.gif

D-Day + 17. I give up on the idea of pushing together with Japanese and I’m rerouting most of my divisions towards Taiyuan area, where I gather my units for a safe defense of the passage. Some militias are already running out of supplies!

gL9bzkv.gif

D-Day + 23. The battle is won!

zhvIHz3.gif

D-Day + 25. The battle of Taigu ends in a Nationalist victory, but it’s a tactical victory for us, as most of the division’s link up here.

LIWMw9J.gif

D-Day + 26.

PmPhR4Y.gif

D-Day + 31. The passage is secure! While Fangshan may be lost, we scored an important victory in Taiyuan, not to mention that our troops can cross the Yellow river more to the north as well.

0ONYg0F.gif

The precarious situation in Xining has been solved as well. Two mountain divisions are coming back to the east.

8ZqUj4Y.gif

Nationalists are desperately trying to free their two divisions, but to no avail.

PYk40KK.gif

In early December, those divisions are annihilated in Jingbian.

xKiunMz.gif

It seems the PLA nearly doubled in the past month! That’s what happens when you stir up the hornet’s nest...

rYfW2Uh.gif

Like I said before, invade USSR, or you will be doomed. Look! Japan already sent you a token of hate because you refused to do so! Look at the sky and listen to the tokens!

The Japanese are beginning to push out of the bottleneck. Won't be long now and you'll be facing a Japanese front. You'll have to indeed push soon.

It says I need one TAC against the Japanese...

AI Japan usually doesn't declare war on Communists in vanilla, HPP might. I had a very dull vanilla game where I spent the first years lowering my neutrality and then attacking whatever has left from the RoC, with Japan doing nothing at all against it.

It says I need one TAC against the Japanese...

AI Japan usually doesn't declare war on Communists in vanilla, HPP might. I had a very dull vanilla game where I spent the first years lowering my neutrality and then attacking whatever has left from the RoC, with Japan doing nothing at all against it.
huh. Japan always declares war on the communists in vanilla, though usually after a year or so after the nationalists have surrendered, from what I've seen.

Well, I'd be careful, Japan's HPP modifications are going to make them more aggressive towards you at the least, I'm sure. Try and take as much land from the nationalists as you can, of course. Preferably a barrier between the nationalists and Japan, but I highly doubt that would be possible.

huh. Japan always declares war on the communists in vanilla, though usually after a year or so after the nationalists have surrendered, from what I've seen.

Well, I'd be careful, Japan's HPP modifications are going to make them more aggressive towards you at the least, I'm sure. Try and take as much land from the nationalists as you can, of course. Preferably a barrier between the nationalists and Japan, but I highly doubt that would be possible.

I'm not playing HPP. If I had, I'd have more miltia than you could count :mellow:

Chapter IX: Aggressive Expansion!

Nationalists’ disorganized division leaves a good defensible and several divisions exploit this and attack Xinjiang in force.

Wg2IrbB.gif

For whatever weird reason, our troops are unable to win this battle.

jwHs65T.gif

EouAEHY.gif

One division is encircled and hopelessly outnumbered.

F7Tp2vu.gif

Nationalists are clearly on the run from Shanxi.

ImmxZul.gif

And by mid-February 1938, they’re pushed out completely.

uTwZ6RD.gif

This is the situation a month later.

LD5iUiU.gif

On 25th March, China makes separate peace with Japan, which opens a huge territorial vacuum on my right flank, just the day after our armies marched to Chongqing.

m9oNSwu.gif

Japan forms Mengjiang the same day.

7RZJqHN.gif

And on 26th, southern Chinese warlords sign a defensive alliance with Changde government, probably aimed against us...

DgcAM0v.gif

Last edited:
oh right, you're not haha
I'm a bit too used to HPP being used in AARs now I think :p

HPP doesn't have URs. I mostly came back to vanilla to familiarize with it again, as I play some more MP games now ;)

Chapter X: On Our Own Again

On 30th March, our first interceptor wing is deployed to Chengdu. Nationalist TACs won’t stand a chance! At least until they’re in its range anyway...

T5PZJgr.gif

Nationalists attack with large force in Xining, forcing our divisions out.

DVQ24JM.gif

On 11th April, our militia faces no resistance in the new Nationalist capital. The garrison is however reinforced later on before our militia gains control of the city.

vWNL7Sm.gif

This is the overall situation on 21st April.

hbeAu6O.gif

As more and more KMT divisions arrive from the Japanese front, the advance gets stalled. This division element of the NRA has almost faded away by the end of May.

JMrwxm3.gif

The fighter wing is in action in the early hours of 5th July! I plan to build one or two more, at least until I get my hands on more manpower.

8qDnoXK.gif

Situation in August. Nationalists are reclaiming their territory and Changde is quite far from the frontline now.

nsb3P8I.gif

In late October, we try to trap a Nationalist division, but after this attempt fails, we’re lucky to rescue all of ours.

cFxxkgw.gif

If we pushed Nationalists back with Japanese support, they are pushing us back without it. A dangerous bottleneck is forming.

wiv2Y3p.gif

We’re already in February. It seems the eastern frontline was stabilized, while there are still going fights over the mountains in the west. We let Nationalists advance to Shanxi while amassing a large force in Shangxian...

iXiZ3IH.gif

Four new triangular militia divisions are formed in Yan’an in later February.

tup0OAP.gif

The plan has worked well. Several Nationalist divisions are cut off.

vSEnBPU.gif

In the end, Nationalists after heavy bombing and constant assaulting break through, but it’s too late to help their comrades, as it was only an empty province behind our lines...

lohn5wf.gif

The PLA now readies itself for a new assault...

I would go and break China into two provinces, that way you can ignore half of their army (which will be unable to move because they are starving) and crush them in the other part, rolling up the trapped ones later ;)

Huh, they still manage to hurt you with Japan on their tail.

That was the other way around, check the map!

I would go and break China into two provinces, that way you can ignore half of their army (which will be unable to move because they are starving) and crush them in the other part, rolling up the trapped ones later ;)

Actually, allying them with Yunnan made their troops to be supplied from Kunming, meaning cutting off half the China of supplies didn't work as well as it used to :)

Chapter XI: Turning the Tide

Tough battles take place in bottleneck provinces, mostly in Xuanhan. Nationalists are trying their best to reach Chengdu and capture our fighters!

THq7uTT.gif

Shortly after year 1940 begins, a great attack is launched against Weinan. Here, the frontline went back and forth until May, until we scrapped enough units to attack, as additional militias are still being recruited!

xPTucL2.gif

For whatever weird reason, it seems KMT has large support. It’s probably due to all the counter-revolutionaries that are being captured together with the territory...

bfDHAGs.gif

On 1st May, a large scale assault is launched with the intention to cut off several Nationalist divisions while advancing down the river. The first battle in Chengkou looks promising.

vNRym48.gif

Province after province, PLA relentlessly advanced forward, this time towards Wanxian to throw Nationalists back behind the river.

IoOGR9m.gif

This is the situation in late July. Poor infrastructure and slow units don’t allow for faster execution. Reinforcements from Yan’an are arriving.

aMvljkC.gif

In early September, the encirclement is completed. About ten Nationalist divisions are captured throughout the next two months.

2F4519N.gif

As our units forces a breakthrough in Jiayu, the infrastructure in Xianning seems to be completely destroyed.

0oH7pqL.gif

This is the map of Chinese theater in late November.

qsJtL27.gif

Numerical superiority allows the PLA to advance in several places at once!

ZDOY1vP.gif

Even before the end of 1940, Changsha is attacked.

PbJegb1.gif

It is swiftly taken and it doesn’t take long to reach and attack Changde, the contemporary Nationalist capital.

k2j01bD.gif

The town’s garrison is however reinforced and therefore the attack is called off. But for whatever reason, Nationalists reinforced from the frontline units, allowing ours to join the attack on the town.

JNZXOdZ.gif

A month passed and it still seems the Nationalists were unable to relocate their supply dump to Chongqing, which has adverse effects on its defenders.

EMxCOkv.gif

After the capture of Guiyang (near the Yunnan and Guangxi), Chiang Kai-Shek was found dead amongst the defenders of the town itself.

Therefore, a general surrender of all the KMT forces was announced on 12th March (well, 9th, as I forgot to save it and had to re-load from the monthly auto-save :D) 1941by Lin Sen instead, ending the 14-years long conflict between KMT and CPC.

1cxa2N0.gif

However, it was believed that the remaining Chinese warlords would not sit on the sidelines anymore. With Yunnan and Guangxi already supplying KMT divisions on their soil earlier and now willingly accepting KMT refugees, they’ve both formed a, what we believed to be, a defensive alliance together with Sinkiang and Tibet.

zBjBjZa.gif

Being the strongest of the whole alliance, Guangxi declared war upon us first, followed by Yunnan, then Sinkiang and lastly Tibet. Their reasoning was mostly the same – territorial gains.

Guangxi wanted to reclaim Guangdong, which was formerly usurped from them by the Nanjing government.

Tibet had long-standing quarrels with every Chinese government since they declared independence, dating back to the Xinhai Revolution in 1911, mostly over Kham.

Sinkiang, despite being a friendly leftist government, felt the opportunity to expand into the territory of the long-hated Ma enemy, as the NRA’s presence was still strong in the area, though officially Gansu and Qinghai were under the administration of PRC.

Yunnan didn’t have a real reason to enter the war, but they have been promised swathes of Xikang, Sichuan as well as Guizhou. This was probably their best shot for territorial expansion and they weren’t willing to wait until the communists marched into Kunming...

While this caught the PRC by surprise, the army was still mobilized and deployed unexpectedly well from the war with KMT, with most of the troops in Sichuan, Guizhou and Hunan. Their plan was to annex Guangxi and Yunnan and unite it under Yan’an government, while installing loyal (in the case of Sinkiang more loyal) governments into Sinkiang and Tibet. But it would be a challenge to put these disobedient warlords back to their place...

AAR is sychronized with the game! :)

Synchronised until the next update :p

Oh no, I played in the evening a little, so you are late already :D

You just beat the nationalists and you get the rest of China against you, ouch :p
But at least you can finally reunite China under the red flag!

The point was to not get any threat on anyone. I don't feel like I should gobble up tons of threat on my neighbors, just because I'm settling old scores with numerous neighbors.

But in the end, it proved way too easy to unite those independent breakaways :sad: