• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vityviktor

General
109 Badges
Jul 18, 2011
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Knights of Honor
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
I would like to form Netherlands as Burgundy, but France... France just can't stop bullying me. I need some help so i can survive with the dutch provinces until i reach Administrative Tech level 10. Alliances, deffensive strategies, what to do, etc. :wacko:

its been a while since i did burgundy>netherlands, but the way to win was to ally austria and fight in the mountains. also, spam mercs for all you have, take loans if you need, your peacetime income is ludicrous so you can easily make up for it. iirc i managed to break france in a single devastating early war by making it realease its vassals, after that it was cake.

Burgundy is strong enough

it almost as easy as playing France

come on

you can do it

in fact i think i will play it myself instead of Poland cause elective monarchy is probably bugged

I would like to form Netherlands as Burgundy, but France... France just can't stop bullying me. I need some help so i can survive with the dutch provinces until i reach Administrative Tech level 10. Alliances, deffensive strategies, what to do, etc. :wacko:
Best defense is offense. If they are bothering you that much just declare war while they are on the HYW or some other war. Assuming you are not going to do any gamey tactic regarding the french provinces, forcing them to release vassals or liberating countries should be enough.

Best allies are those that could end up allied with them (austria, castille) and minors that border them. Let the french siege savoy and switzerland and they will hopefully make their own separate peace after the french lost a ton of manpower on them.

Ally Castile, crush them during HYW. Game won.
If you don't want to fight them, allying Castile should be enough to keep them off or win if they attack. The Hansa or Denmark, depending on who comes out on top, also make for a nice allies. Austria will probably hate you but will never attack you unless you are down already.
Pol-Lit suck hard as allies nowadays, they just never recover from their scripted mil 1 ruler who always seems to live to his 70ies.

Haven't made Netherlands in a little while but my general feeling is trying to stay defensive, take Dutch provinces where possible (and when Austria is busy) and don't expand until you form the Netherlands unless colonially. If France invades and you can suggest offer to give up land I'd take it.

Wow, meant to post here.
Start with a Dutch minor, ally France and use them to wreck burgundy

Yeah this is what I do, play Burgundy so I can form the Netherlands.

I just release all the Southern states and go from there. Much easier than trying to keep a vulnerable empire together between France and Austria's shenanigans.
Well, I guess you're right, but it's the wrong mindset, IMO.
Burgundy is #1 when the game starts, as far as income and number of troops are concerned.
They should be afraid of you, not the other way around.

But I guess that after fearing the Big Blue Blob (France) for a while, the thought of actually beating them early is unthinkable :)