• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ShadowSpion

Senior Knight
71 Badges
Aug 13, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Ancient Space
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
So, just a quick question. How do taxes work with the pope being your vassal? Do they still go to the pope or to you? I am just kind of confused. Thanks.

Son, let me tell you how the world works.

There is this golden-egg goose, called the Pope, that lives in a castle in the clouds, called the Papacy. Faithful christians pray under a huge beanstalk that leads up to the floating castle, and if the Pope deems them worthy, he drops a golden egg down from the clouds. And then the faithful christians collect the eggs and thank the Lord and the goose.

But sometimes this evil person, known as The Salian, comes up to the beanstalk with this giant axe, chops it down, smashing the cloud castle on the ground. Then he takes the goose and keeps it to himself for eternity.

Reactions:

There is this golden-egg goose, called the Pope, that lives in a castle in the clouds, called the Papacy. Faithful christians pray under a huge beanstalk that leads up to the floating castle, and if the Pope deems them worthy, he drops a golden egg down from the clouds. And then the faithful christians collect the eggs and thank the Lord and the goose.

But sometimes this evil person, known as The Salian, comes up to the beanstalk with this giant axe, chops it down, smashing the cloud castle on the ground. Then he takes the goose and keeps it to himself for eternity.
This is an amazing post. Well done Sir.

Reactions:
Thanks. Do I get the taxes directly or do the go to the pope and then to me?

As far as I know, you first get all the taxes from bishops who like you more than the fancy hat and then you get money from the fancy hat himself. So I recommend raising all church taxes to maximum.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Dakk said:
Why, thank you, dear Sir.

This has got to be one of the best forum posts I have ever seen, well done!

Reactions:

10/10 would read again

You'll get all of the tax income that you're owed from vassals who like you more than the pope. You'll also get tax from the pope. If you have 50% church tax, you'll get 50% from vassals who like you, and 25% from every bishopric paying taxes to the pope, along with 50% of what the pope gets from his own fooling around. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway.

Reactions:
Lord_P said:

Dakk said:
Sandcat4444 said:
This has got to be one of the best forum posts I have ever seen, well done!
PortalCakeFace said:
10/10 would read again
Aww, guys! I am deeply honored by your flattering comments. :wub:

Is there actually an explanation on how to get the Pope as a vassal?

When I did an invasion on HRE in my Mongol game my reformed Tengri Khagan somehow ended up with the Pope as a Vassal (even though he'd lost all his lands). I didn't even notice that until years later when I was checking the factions opposing me >_> I just thought that was a glitch or a bug...

Is there actually an explanation on how to get the Pope as a vassal?

When I did an invasion on HRE in my Mongol game my reformed Tengri Khagan somehow ended up with the Pope as a Vassal (even though he'd lost all his lands). I didn't even notice that until years later when I was checking the factions opposing me >_> I just thought that was a glitch or a bug...

I'm assuming the CB you used was to invade Italy. When you invade an area as an Empire, any King with all their remaining holdings in the de jure area of the invaded Kingdom become vassalized and retain their King title as long as the title is not the same as the title being invaded.

If you're Christian, vassalizing the Pope is simple once you're an Empire: Make an antipope and press his claim to the papacy. Instant vassal pope.

Reactions:
I'm assuming the CB you used was to invade Italy. When you invade an area as an Empire, any King with all their remaining holdings in the de jure area of the invaded Kingdom become vassalized and retain their King title as long as the title is not the same as the title being invaded.

If you're Christian, vassalizing the Pope is simple once you're an Empire: Make an antipope and press his claim to the papacy. Instant vassal pope.

Thanks, that's a clear explanation. Interesting to know. I had figured out about the antipope thing, but didn't know the king vassallisation with empire invasions. The mongols was my first game where I used the invasion CB over and over.