• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
EUROPA CABLE NEWS - NEWS NIGHT
March 24, 2005

The introductory sequence of Europa Cable News begins with images of European cities flashing across the screen accompanied by the uplifting theme melody. As the segment comes to an end, Céline Delpy appears on screen before the familiar backdrop of an unnamed European skyline. She smiles before addressing the viewers.

melissa-theuriau-picture-6.jpg

"Bonsoir et-welcome Europa, to News Night. I'm Celine Delpy."

“Industrial complexes all over the Federation continue to come alive as part of the Federal Industrialization Plan. Having become the largest industrial power in the world, surpassing even the United States and China, Europe is quickly increasing its lead with the completion of several industrial complexes in Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Germany, Austria and Italy. For comparison, we have an image here with the ten largest economies in the world.”

icofmajornations.png

“Togo joins the European family after the successful intervention which stabilized the country amidst the massive unrest stemming from the death of longtime dictator Gnassingbé Eyadéma in February. Rogue military units attempted to take control of the capital Lome but were dislodged by the EUROCORPS. It has been conferred the status of ‘associated state’.”

“In separate referendums, both Norway and Iceland have rejected integration with the European Federation at the present time. The Icelandic and Norwegian governments cited strict traditions of neutrality as the deciding factor. However relations with the Federation are as strong as ever, with Iceland and Norway remaining in the Schengen Area and the Eurozone. Future referendums on the matter of European integration have also not been ruled out.”

norway.png

iceland.png

“DCNS has begun the construction of Europa’s first two nuclear supercarriers. Equivalent in size to the American supercarrier USS Enterprise, the Crusader-class supercarriers will be the largest vessels ever commissioned by a European nation. The new ships, provisionally named FS Crusader and FS Conquistador will have nuclear reactors based on the Charles de Gaulle’s and will have the capacity to load at least 80 combat aircraft.”

fscrusader.jpg

“In international news, recently warming relations between Japan and South Korea have cooled in the wake of the Japanese history book scandals. Controversial content in government approved secondary education history textbooks are thought by international observers to be Japanese efforts to whitewash the actions of the Empire of Japan during the Second World War. The history textbook controversies have been an issue of deep concern both domestically and internationally, particularly in countries which were victims of Imperial Japan during the war.”

japhisbook.png

This follows a recent announcement by local Japanese officials regarding the celebration of Takeshima Day, to highlight the Japanese claims to disputed islands. The Takeshima Islands to the Japanese, known as Dokdo to the Koreans, control valuable fishing grounds and are thought to possess large reserves of methane.”

“Debates in Taiwan continue to rage after the ratification of a PRC law outlawing secession. The law, clearly aimed at Taiwan, threatens armed conflict against any part of the People’s Republic of China declaring independence.”

antisecession.png

“Agreed arrangements under the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America between the United States and neighbors Canada and Mexico regarding ease of trade continue. The recent talks, stated as being for ‘providing greater cooperation on security and economic issues’ tackled cooperation and information sharing and improving productivity.”

sppofnortham.png

“A battle group led by aircraft carrier Giuseppe Garibaldi is en route to Bombay, ready for Varuna 2005, which are the bilateral naval exercises between India and France, now the European Federation. The Defense Force has commented that all efforts to improve relations between Europe and Asia, like joint naval exercises should be attempted and that Varuna is not meant to threaten any Eurasian powers.”

“Piracy off the Coast of Somalia is beginning to take its toll, straining ties with the fledgling Somali Transitional Federal Government. According to estimates, approximately 50,000 tons of oil and supplies are being hijacked daily. In a statement by the Defense Force, “direct efforts to counter these pirates are not out of the question”. Experts speculate a European naval interdiction mission in the Horn of Africa."

somali.jpg

Somali pirate (Courtesy: Reuters)

“Finally, strikes in Strasbourg continue after the controversial Bolkestein Directive, which is aimed at establishing a single market for services within the Federation. Critics argued that the so-devised Directive would erode many of the Federated State regulations governing industry and the environment, and would lead to competition between workers in different parts of Europe, resulting in a downward spiral in income levels. The directive is currently in the process of being amended.”

bolkestein.jpg

Last edited:
So Togo joins the fold. That's always comforting. Too bad about Norway and Iceland though, I had been hoping for a Pan-Scandinavian union.

So Togo joins the fold. That's always comforting. Too bad about Norway and Iceland though, I had been hoping for a Pan-Scandinavian union.

'Now' doesn't mean 'forever'. ;)

The French Francafrique policy is continued in the EuroFed. Good! :p

Yes, Europe TTL is much more concerned with the goings-on in its former colonies. Not in a suck-their-resources way a la OTL Francafrique, more of a sense of exporting Europe's prosperity and good fortune. Also some "making up for when we screwed the pooch on Africa during decolonization". Some may call it neo-colonialistic, on the other hand Europe sees it as a responsibility to protect her former subjects and current possible citizens or allies, as the case may be.

June 27, 2005

The introductory sequence of Europa Cable News begins with images of European cities flashing across the screen accompanied by the uplifting theme melody. As the segment comes to an end, Céline Delpy appears on screen before the familiar backdrop of an unnamed European skyline. She smiles before addressing the viewers.

newsietriea.png

"Bonsoir et bienvenue en Europe, il est 08h06 dans la soirée. This is News Night, with Celine Delpy."

"In domestic news, Guinea-Bissau has recently been confirmed as an ‘associate state’ of the European Federation. Viewers will recall the May Crisis in Guinea, as the most recent leader of Guinea-Bissau, Kumba Iala, was toppled by a cabal of military officials, who were immediately ousted by European forces brought in to maintain order throughout the country. The status of ‘associated state’ was conferred by the Parliament as opposed to ‘member state’, citing the neglect of the government and civil service, rendering it incapable of governing itself. Guinea-Bissau has a history of political instability since independence, and no elected president has successfully served a full five-year term. a military coup was conducted. The military had arrested Ialá on the charge of being 'unable to solve the problems'."

“The European Space Agency has announced that work has begun on KEPLER, the European Data Relay System (EDRS). Envisioned as a constellation of geostationary military communications satellites, it aims to provide secure and jam resistant worldwide communications to meet the requirements of the European Federation Defense Force. It is the goal of the ESA to have the first KEPLER satellites launching from the Guiana Space Center by 2007.”

kepler.jpg

"In finance, Siemens stock has risen to a record high after an announcement that they have successfully developed a practical hybrid drivetrain for civilian use."

hybridengine.png

“New infantry equipment for the 21st century developed by Heckler and Koch make their debut at the 2005 Eurosatory, the renowned international defence & security industry trade show held in France. Defense Force insiders hint at a massive contract intending to outfit all Defense Force infantry by 2010.”
futuresoldier.jpg

21cinfantryeq.png

“The Defense Force has announced contracts for six Improved Triomphant class ballistic missile submarines, with a handover date for the submarines of no later than 2008.”

cwssgn.png

In international news, British Prime Minister Tony Blair has announced further cuts to the British armed services, following the Labour Party's reelection. In particular it has been announced that the number of Eurofighters being procured for the RAF shall be reduced, along with the cancellation of three Astute-class nuclear submarines, with the savings going towards social services.”

labour.png

“Unrest has beset European Morocco, with protesters being reported in Tangier, Marrakech and the Western Sahara regions. In a seemingly coordinated move, pro-Gaddafi militia have been reported in European Libya, particularly in Bengazi and the Southern Sahara. The 1st Moroccan Infantry Brigade in Rabat, 2nd Moroccan Infantry Brigade in Casablanca, 1st Libyan Infantry Brigade in Tripoli and the 2nd Libyan Infantry Brigade in Tobruk have been put on alert.”

“Finally, the United States’ quagmire in Afghanistan continues to worsen as Taliban insurgents have taken control of the north and south of Afghanistan while the provisional Afghan government maintains unsteady control over Kabul. However with the lack of Afghan military power and the minimal US forces present in-theater, it is now a possibility that the Taliban will be able to take control of Afghanistan.”

afghanistan.png

"That's all for now. Jean Girard is up next with the 'Strasbourg Report'. Good night."

1) Forgive the really crappy Photoshoppage. Hopefully it gets better as I go along.

Hmmm, the Swiss join the EUF, Europe annexes a half of Africa and trouble is brewing in the Far East... and Ukraine (what else is new?). The economic dominance of United Europe in MDS is massive. Now you need to recast it into an undefeatable army ;) The names of your carriers FS Crusader and FS Conquistador speak for themselves ;) I just wonder what route will your Europe choose - America for the time being is an ally, but in the future? And in the meanwhile, the Russo-Chinese axis...

Just a little OT note: when I was playing MDS as the EU, my naval designation was "ENS" (European Navy Ship). I remember I also had a naming convention worked out; I think I used star names for FFGs, I liked that.

Just a little OT note: when I was playing MDS as the EU, my naval designation was "ENS" (European Navy Ship). I remember I also had a naming convention worked out; I think I used star names for FFGs, I liked that.
I did the member states' capitals on carriers. Kinda like the USSR's uncompleted battleships

Hmmm, the Swiss join the EUF, Europe annexes a half of Africa and trouble is brewing in the Far East... and Ukraine (what else is new?). The economic dominance of United Europe in MDS is massive. Now you need to recast it into an undefeatable army ;) The names of your carriers FS Crusader and FS Conquistador speak for themselves ;) I just wonder what route will your Europe choose - America for the time being is an ally, but in the future? And in the meanwhile, the Russo-Chinese axis...

I did the member states' capitals on carriers. Kinda like the USSR's uncompleted battleships

Thanks for the comments guys.

America-Europe relations are... rocky. And yes, the Russo-Chinese axis will indeed be a thing.

On the subject of naming ships, I went with the Royal Navy's way of naming ships along a certain theme regardless of the type of vessel. Saves me from running out of names for the massive EF navy I'm building (spoilers: I'm a huge naval geek. :cool:). FS TTL stands for 'Federal Ship' BTW.

Last edited:
When you do get around to doing the background history update, do you mind adding a map of the present FE, including member states and the like?

When you do get around to doing the background history update, do you mind adding a map of the present FE, including member states and the like?

No problem!

> Shh, this top secret blueprint was stolen from the intelligence office. Showcasing EU's upcoming armor for ground forces. ;)

MORE DAKKA :D And welcome aboard!

September 2, 2005

3.png

“Good evening and welcome to News Night. I’m Celine Delpy.”

“Construction efforts of roads and rail links across the Federation are reported to be on schedule. The improvement of infrastructure to the highest possible quality, made possible in part by the assistance of army engineering units, has been completed in some parts of Germany and France already. Pan-European networks are planned to be completed by 2009.”

“Efforts to rebuild after Hurricane Katrina continue in the US as President George Bush seeks at least $100 billion dollars for repairs and reconstruction in the Gulf region. This amount however did not account for damage to the economy caused by potential interruption of the US oil supply, destruction of the Gulf Coast's highway infrastructure, and exports of commodities such as grain. Katrina also damaged or destroyed 30 oil platforms and caused the closure of nine refineries, causing a spike in oil prices.”

“In international news, European forces have taken control of Bangui after rebel forces have forced the Central African Republic’s government to flee, with several officials including President François Bozizé, still unaccounted for but presumed killed. Martial law has been declared in the territory of the Central African Republic, pending the institution of a new government.”

0824_D23.jpg

Top Chinese and Russian officials at Peace Mission 2005 in Shandong Peninsula

"In defense, the international community is abuzz with news from the recently concluded Peace Mission 2005, the first ever joint military exercise between China and Russia. Consisting of combined land, sea and air elements, the force practiced air and naval blockades, an amphibious assault and occupying a region. While both countries have stated that the exercise is not directed at any one country, many believe it to be a show of force against the United States, European Federation and Taiwan. Additionally, it is believed that it is also a response to the recent signing of the Manila Pact which re-established SEATO.”

paftigershark.jpg

Recently acquired Philippine Air Force F-20 Tigershark

“Washington has responded with the East Asian Support Act, providing critical SEATO allies access to American military equipment at fire sale prices. Products offered include obsolescent F-14 interceptors, P-3 anti-submarine aircraft, upgraded A-4 attack aircraft and F-20 Tigershark light fighters, Spruance-class destroyers, Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates, upgraded M60 Patton main battle tanks and refurbished M113 armored personnel carriers.”[1]

“The DPR Korea and the Republic of Korea have finalized a deal exchanging operatives across the DMZ. In separate developments, the Republic of Korea’s KCIA captured several North Korean operatives but not before they had succeeded in stealing documents related to the production of nuclear weapons from the Hanul nuclear plant. Meanwhile South Korean operatives successfully managed to destroy a major North Korean missile production facility but were captured before being able to cross the border.”

“The Parliament of Canada has approved a new defense appropriations bill, increasing the budget for the Canadian Armed Forces. Funds for 4 new light carriers constructed through American and British shipyards have been approved. Three Astute-class nuclear submarines which were cancelled by the British government were also purchased by the Royal Canadian Navy. It has also been looking to phase out existing destroyers and frigates through the development of the Single Class Surface Combatant Project. The Royal Canadian Air Force meanwhile has been looking at procuring some C-17 Globemaster III strategic transport aircraft and CH-47 Chinook heavy-lift helicopters. Talk of establishing a new Canadian Special Operations Regiment has also been reported.”

canada.png

hmsontario.jpg

HMCS Ontario under construction at BAE Systems Maritime – Submarines in Barrow-in-Furness

"A U.S. immigration judge has ruled that Luis Posada Carriles cannot be deported, finding that he faces the threat of torture in Venezuela. Luis Posada Carilles is a terrorist and former agent for the CIA. Posada had been convicted in absentia in Panama over involvement in various terrorist attacks in the Americas including 1976 bombing of a Cuban airliner that killed 78 people, admitted involvement in a string of bombings in 1997 targeting fashionable Cuban hotels and nightspots, involvement in the Bay of Pigs invasion; and involvement in the Iran-Contra affair. The Venezuelan government reacted angrily to the ruling, accusing the US of having a "double standard in its so-called war on terrorism".

“The explosion in the China State Shipbuilding Corporation’s shipyards in Jiangnan has been attributed to an Israeli national named Avidar Tamir. Rumors abound that the Israeli is in the employ of the Israeli Mossad. However there is little obvious benefit to the Israeli government leading some to wonder if the whole operation was instigated by American intelligence services. The Chinese government has announced that their designs for the Zheng He-class aircraft carriers were among the casualties.”

“The training of strike aircraft pilots and the production of the Eurofighter Typhoon air superiority fighter have reached record levels to fulfill Air Force orders to equip an additional one hundred multi-role fighter and strike squadrons. Meanwhile the Dassault Rafale is being produced at less dramatic numbers to equip the European Navy’s Monarch-class aircraft carriers and the upcoming Crusader-class nuclear supercarriers. The navalized multi-mission Rafale has been selected as the standard fighter and attack aircraft of the Naval Air Arm. The JAS Gripen has been reallocated to Air Guard units in the various districts. However, noting the lack of a modern strike aircraft in the European inventory, efforts to modify the Typhoon platform for the interdictor role proceed as well, according to Air Force officials.”

[1]Just a small explanation for all the events in MDS that give even the smallest countries free brigades of modern units when it’s at war.

Last edited:
Mmmm, European air force armed with European planes, very good.

I think that the skyline can hardly be called unnamed, after all, the Eiffel Tower is in the background. :D

Ticket, yes, he is pure capitalist, anti eu, more eurosceptic than what polish media would like people to vote on as "eurosceptic": PiS.
He is a Polish Nigel Farage
His name is Korwin, for funny pix on him write google "Korwin Krul"

Mmmm, European air force armed with European planes, very good.

Well where else would Europa get its lovely aircraft? The Americans? :rofl:

specially for you: :p

Oh come on mate, nobody in Europe could possibly be Eurosceptic by this point. We have the largest economy by a wide margin, a rapidly expanding military, a truly benevolent mission to help our fellow man *cough*Africa*cough* and we have Switzerland!

I think that the skyline can hardly be called unnamed, after all, the Eiffel Tower is in the background. :D

True, true. Well you try finding something both "familiar" and "unnamed". :p

Well, let's say I prefer this timeline Europe :)

*whistles Ode to Joy* *whips out European flag* *waves at overflying Typhoons* :D

Thanks for the comments everyone! Update in a bit.

December 9, 2005

420053pix.png

“Bonsoir et-welcome to News Night. I’m Celine Delpy.”

"The Defense Force has sent additional forces to the Cote d'Ivoire and Burkina Faso, turning the peacekeeping mission into a stabilization mission. As viewers will recall, the European government initially sent a contingent of 3000 elite troops from the French Foreign Legion, mainly to man a peace line separating rebel troops and loyalist forces from engaging.”

cotedivorie.jpg

French Foreign Legion military vehicles patrolling in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire, December 7, 2005

"Both regimes have accused Europe from siding with the other: loyalists because of its protection of the rebels; the rebels because it was preventing the capture of Abidjan. Burkina Faso, which had been supporting the anti-government rebels, refer to the European peacekeeping mission as a ‘half-hearted neo-colonialist effort’. In any case, on November 4, Ivorian President Laurent Gbagbo ordered air strikes against rebel positions. On November 6, Ivorian aircraft bombed a European base in Bouake, supposedly by accident, killing 9 soldiers and injuring 31 others. The next day, the very same base was assaulted by rebels joined by uniformed army soldiers from Burkina Faso.”

"Council President Gerhard Schroder has criticized the actions of the Ivorian and Burkina Faso governments which led to the deaths of European soldiers. Asked about the upcoming deployment, the President answered 'We don’t take lightly the deaths of our citizens. The responsibility to maintain order has once again fallen on Europe.' A brigade of the Air Cavalry and a marine brigade will be joining the mechanized brigade from the French Foreign Legion in enforcing the Council ruling regarding the demilitarization and stabilization in the Cote d'Ivoire and Burkina Faso.”

“Negotiations to bring Turkey into the Federation proceed well, but Strasbourg has revealed that Turkey’s accession talks have been stalled by a number of domestic and external issues, including the issue of Cyprus which is proving to be a major obstacle to negotiations, as well as the slowdown in Turkish reforms.”

turkeyef100805.png

“A trade deal bringing wheat and livestock to Indonesia from Australia has reportedly been cancelled by the Australian government. The cancellation is widely seen to be a response to the bombings in Bali in October in which 4 Australian citizens died and 19 Australians were injured, among other casualties. Following the 2002 Bali bombings, in which more Australians than any other nationals were killed and injured, and the 2004 bombing of Australia's Embassy in Jakarta, the latest attacks received extensive coverage in Australia and were denounced by some officials as an attack on Australians.”

“Venezuela and Russia have reached a deal to provide over $4 billion worth of Russian arms to Venezuelan armed forces, announced state export firm Rosoboronexport. The deal includes a transfer of Sukhoi fighter jets, combat helicopters and over 100,000 light infantry weapons, primarily the famous AK-103 assault rifles and a license to produce them in Venezuela. Rosoboronexport is planning to complete the deliveries by 2009.”

Russian-Venezuelan-arms-deal-sparks-concerns.jpg

Russian-Venezuelan arms deal signing between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez

“Venezuela has also expressed interest to purchase additional equipment for its army, namely T-72M1M main battle tanks, BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles, BTR-80 armored personnel carriers and a variety of artillery systems. The large-scale order has provoked interest from the United States, the European Federation and Argentina and her allies in the South American Community.”

“In a recent state visit of Kim Jong-Il to Beijing to discuss military matters, the North Korean leader allegedly announced an intention to restart North Korean nuclear research. Details have been sparse, given the traditionally North Korean penchant for secrecy. However it has been disclosed by anonymous officials in the EDI that research into gun-type nuclear weapons and first generation nuclear reactors, comparable to the Manhattan Project's facilities are underway in the Yongbyon nuclear research facility. Pyongyang declared its withdrawal from the nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty in April 2003.”

nokornuke.png

"In Washington, President George Bush has vetoed a bill in the US Congress, allowing further drilling in the Arctic Refuge. When asked for a comment, he replies that ‘it keeps [America]'s economy growing by creating jobs and ensuring that businesses can expand [a]nd it will make America less dependent on foreign sources of energy’. More cynical members of the US government note that it was simply a reaction to the spike in US oil prices following the devastation in the Gulf area, the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina last year. Much of the debate over whether to drill in the 1002 area of ANWR rests on the amount of economically recoverable oil, as it relates to world oil markets, weighed against the potential harm oil exploration might have upon the natural wildlife."

anwr.png

“The Indian government has announced the execution of Pakistani nationals who were convicted of espionage after they succeeded in damaging the Ishapore Rifle Factory in India, setting back the Indian Army’s research and development into new infantry equipment by weeks or months.”

“The United Kingdom has been the victim of groups of protesters labeling themselves as “anti-imperialists”, protesting the acquisitions of formerly independent states in the Caribbean, Africa and Indian Ocean. There have been unconfirmed reports that the wave of dissent sweeping the British Isles were the result of Russian efforts to undermine United Coalition governments.”

“The Defense Force has announced that it now has C4I Interoperability capabilities, provided by off-the-shelf equipment from SAAB and Rheinmetall integrated with new battle management aircraft provided by EADS Airbus, giving ground forces the capability to track ground vehicles, collect imagery and relay tactical pictures to ground and air theatre commanders.”

c4iinterop.png

“The sea trials of thirteen new aircraft carriers are underway in the Mediterranean Sea and the Bay of Biscay, the Defense Force announced. The new aircraft carriers, more specifically the FS Andrea Doria[1] and the twelve members of the Monarch-class aircraft carriers are expected to be in service with the European Navy before Christmas. This would bring the number of aircraft carriers operated by the European Federation Navy to 16, giving Europe true power projection capabilities. Navy Chief of Staff Karl Holluba notes that ‘With Europa’s new aircraft carriers and her rapidly expanding military, the Defense Force is fast becoming a true competitor to the United States and her “United Coalition” for the role of World Police.’”[2]

carriersq.jpg

FS Hohenzellern and FS Savoy on sea trials, steaming back to Toulon

"That's all for tonight. This has been 'News Night'. Jean Girard is up next with the 'Strasbourg Report'. I'm Celine Delpy, good night."

[1] OTL Cavour. Renamed since I’m saving the Cavour name for another ship.
[2] Carriers!

to say the truth, turkey is being stelled and will be stalled because of religion and it's middleeastern culture, also from it's birth rates... you just can't convert such fast growing population to convert to christian/european values... anyway state it'self was perfectly fine by european standards since ataturk...
also Morroco has such problems irl, which is even more absurd because they are the most western and european compatible...

i just explained that because you know, eu is trying to steer entire continent into cultural marxism, away from christianity, while islamic factor can only be beenficiary in small ammount to distract christian movements. in large numbers it will be worse than christianity in converting to cultural marxism.

as for my pic, i made it to make you smile :p but i do not think you defeated the euroscepticism, i think many people resent the only-righteous-truth-glorious-magnificent eu propaganda, i would be too because im tired of seeing celine derpy! (...and i don't care if you call me homo for saying that! :D )