• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Don't bother with those, on my laptop game barely uses 0,5GB RAM and 25% CPU, the moment I write this CPU is used in 36%, RAM in 56% and game is working in background, AI turn is in progress. Thus Sots isn't utilizing system resources, improving those won't help.

At a guess, things are CPU-limited, and the AI (and the game in general) probably does not take full advantage of modern multi-core processors. Most things don't.

So you might improve your turn times somewhat if you got a higher clock rate CPU, but getting more cores probably wouldn't help.

The spread in single-core performance probably isn't big enough to be worth trying, though. I recommend cultivating patience and things to amuse yourself with during end-of-turn calculations.

Turning down graphics definitely won't help, the game doesn't use or load anything related to those between turns. It's most likely related to processor/memory. About the only things I could recommend is turning off other CPU intensive applications in the meantime and setting your sots2.exe (or mars.exe) to a higher priority in the task manager.

So how long are typical waits between turns?
What about delays when switching between screens?
I'm trying to figure out if I should give this another try or start a new game of CK2.

Edited typos.

Last edited:
Well you can always do some pushups between turns, or some kata's if you know them. :D

I usually just browse the web or watch a movie. Usually play SOTS 2 during prime time as I can watch a TV show while it is processing a turn.

Why switch screens? just run it in windowed fullscreen and leave it in the "background" and chat / surf or play another game while it is processing.. its not like there is anything happening if u wont be there the second the next round starts. For those playing multiplayer.. uhm.. is this even supported? ^^

Play TW:Rome II for a few days. You'll come back to SOTS II and wonder what the hell it was you were complaining about. Srsly.

edit: And I don't hear anyone saying that 45 sec+ turntimes in early-mid game play are the end of the world but rather that the game is "much improved." - Rome that is. SOTS 2 turntimes are much faster.

Not sure the last time you played RTW2 but that is just not the case now.RTW2 turns times now are good.

Just played a few days ago. Admittedly, the DEI mod lengthens things a bit, mostly load times, but my first turns were nice and fast. That said, as time went by they lengthened and were close to 30 sec by turn 100. SOTS II gets just as slow,eventually, but begins much faster for me.