• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hoping that you will be able to create a big French Louisiana in North America (with Quebec of couse!). A shame that i do not know any Habsburg and France-jokes. ;) Also what does the Versaille decision give you except prestige?

Would be funny though if you left Brazil to the portugese as that is actually wahat happened historically (not in the same order but still)! France got a foothold in Brazil before getting chased by the portugese and instead get an empire in northern America.

The only French jokes I know involve De Gaulle and WWII, so they're not really applicable. As for the Von habsburgs, did you know that the brother-in-law of the Belgian king, prince Lorenz, is one? So, in theory, according to CKII, Belgium could lay claim on the throne of Austria :D

If I want French Louisiana and Quebec, I would have to start the other way around: from La Nouvelle Orléans up North. I have enough enemies without adding GB to them. They are finally starting to get off their high horse about me.
As for Brazil, let's be honest. We all knew that was exactly what would/could/should happen. To me, it is just a stepping stone.

let me get back to you about Versailles.

edit:

according to Wikipedia:

Prince Lorenz of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este (born 16 December 1955) is a member of the Belgian Royal Family. Since 1996 he is also head of the House of Austria-Este, the branch of the formerly Imperial Austrian House of Habsburg-Lorraine which reigned over the Duchy of Modena until 1859.

edit2: The Decision to Move The Court to Versailles gives 33 prestige and +2 tax base in Ile De France.

Last edited:
If I want French Louisiana and Quebec, I would have to start the other way around: from La Nouvelle Orléans up North. I have enough enemies without adding GB to them. They are finally starting to get off their high horse about me.

But I wanted a glorious French, north America without the "filthy" British! :(

EDIT:Also that +2 Basetax from Versailles seems handy on an already hardly convertable Ile-de-France province.

But I wanted a glorious French, north America without the "filthy" British! :(

I promise to keep it in mind if they ever get into a war with me again. How is that for a compromise :D

I promise to keep it in mind if they ever get into a war with me again. How is that for a compromise :D

That is what I call a french imperialistic compromise! ;)

One thing in the update that simply isn't true: The human player isn't invincible to falling under a PU, They can fall under one perfectly fine. It's just that the player can't get inherited(instantly integrated on monarch death).

oh. Thank you for stopping my heart for half a millisecond. :eek:hmy:

Out of curiosity, what determines who is the leader of the PU? I mean, suppose the Austrians hadn't been Von habsburg anymore, but the Polish bloodline, which, given this timeline, would be totally plausible. What determines who gets topbunk?

Out of curiosity, what determines who is the leader of the PU? I mean, suppose the Austrians hadn't been Von habsburg anymore, but the Polish bloodline, which, given this timeline, would be totally plausible. What determines who gets topbunk?

Prestige and legitmacy, I think.

Dynasty shouldn't effect pus, with the exeption of already being the same dynasty, and that only matters in claims(I think). Pu stuff is just between countries, and not dynasties, so it doesn't matter to your succesion wheter another country has a dynasty that's in a third country.

So if austria had the same dynasty as poland, and you would have a rm with both and die without heir, AND you would fall under a pu, it works just the same as if they would 't have had the same dynasty(I think primarily prestige, but I saw some people saying there were some more factors, but size of dynasty isn't one of them I think)

m6TYM4P.jpg

Chapter 22: The Cross and the Sickle.

jWeRxnR.png

Since Poland is at war, Russia is far away, and Spain is in the midst of another war against great Britain and Portugal, now seems like an excellent time to hit Spain. Unfortunately, my claims have long since expired. After giving it some thought, I decide that the situation may never be so good again. It may just be worth it to go in without a CB.

VGz63Ey.png

The plan is very simple. I will use one army to lay siege to Aragonese provinces and 2 armies to keep the Spanish away. Since they are currently in Portugal, I can’t touch them, but maybe I can lure them out.

g88Gv5B.png

They take the bait and I send my reinforcements into the fray. If I can crush them here, the war will be half won already.

Unfortunately, they have a tech advantage and more cannons, and the bait is defeated before the reinforcements can reach them.

When they do arrive, the Spanish army is still recovering from the previous battle. They run to Toledo and I give chase, while Grao Para becomes a city at last.

I pull back to the safety of the hills in Aragon. When the Spanish try to sneak past me to Barcelona, i manage to intercept them. I defeat them, but the cost is horrendous: 20,000 French soldiers will never return home again.

And of course, there are revolts when you least expect them. I hire a bunch of mercenaries, when I notice 18,000 Russians approaching Holland. Damn that AI-needs-no-naval-range-cheat!

Suddenly, I have only 30,000 men left, while the Spanish have 37,000. And more cannons. And a tech advantage. And the Russians are laying siege to Holland.

0FMdQV1.png

I take what I can get and end the war. At least we linked Aragon’s 2 provinces together. Sorry, Aragon, better luck next time.

IsNF3nS.png

Chesapeake becomes a province in November 1602, and I send the colonist to Delaware, another high-tax province.

XYIkPrV.png

Three days later, the Ottomand empire declares war on Genoa over Kaffa, on the Black Sea. Of course, I accept the call to arms, but I will not take the lead this time. French people were dying in Spain not too long ago, while you were sitting in Languedoc. Now the shoe is on the other foot. I will protect Austrian territorial integrity, but that’s it for now.

Antwerpen is converted in July, 1603. Almost there.

4KgrEbR.png

I get a present of sorts. Since i can easily afford the extra cost, I gladly accept.

My Administrative advisor dies and I take a +1 Theologian to replace him.

The war seems to be going fine without me. I have 54 regiments sitting in 2 Milanese provinces and it looks like Iwon’t be needing them.

Algiers lands 3 regiments in Asturias, which is protected by a level-4 fort. Nothing to worry about.

5LMDu4C.png

Great. Time to take out a loan.

The war takes a turn for the worse. The Austrian army, which had been sieging a couple of Balkan provinces is in full retreat, with 62,000 angry Ottoman soldiers in hot pursuit. Guess I will be needing that army after all.

In other news, Baden leaves the coalition.

The armies meet in Trent. 28,000 Turks, under the command of a 6/4/1/1 general, against 73,000 French, Milanese and Venician soldiers, under the command of my 5/3/5/1 general. There are 16 Ottoman reinforcements sitting in Lienz, but they don’t feel any particular need to intervene. Good.
They loose slightly over 22,000 men versus our 14,000.

Diplo Tech 16. I am up-to-date again. As soon as the war is over, I will start rebuilding the navy with Galleons insead of Carracks.

Algiers lands 8000 men in Tuscany, but I make quick work of them.

A new settlement gives me +1 base tax in Delaware. Great! Now I have 2 colonies with tax base of 6.

6W0ubhi.png

What was supposed to be a quick skirmish against the Ottomans in Hum kind of gets out of hand. Look at those nations on our side. Have you ever seen such an alliance of the willing?

A month goes by, and we are once again sieging the Balkans. Tuscany is so impressed with our devotion to duty that they finally leave the coalition.

2XmZHNo.png

The battle Of Edirne will result in 13,000 European dead versus 8,000 Ottoman, but the victory is ours.

Dp69Qlw.png

Frenc h troops have entered Constantinople and I reach Military Tech level 16. Building all those training grounds was a hard price, but knowing that I regain about 12,000 men each month is very reassuring.

ZTuW4kO.png

Another rebellion. It will, of course, be crushed.

2JvsPav.png

On the 2nd of April, 1608, the Ottoman sultan has decided that he has had enough. Peace reigns once again.

NXIBQoj.png

The victory has given Austria the means to enact a new Imperial reform. It is only their second reform, so I don't have to worry about a united HRE any time soon. Does the AI ever reach that far?

yc4gKac.png

Genoa leaves the coalition, which now consists of Savoy and…well,…just Savoy, really.

That is all for now. See you next time.

Invasion of Savoy and the empire! (Maybe let your manpower recover first)

Surprising that the eastern coast of north America is still so quiet... So you didn't feel tempted to get some Ottoman Med island like Cyprus while you were at it?

Not before he has the core of France and a stable colonial empire! But Sicily or Corsica might be some good targets...

Invasion of Savoy and the empire! (Maybe let your manpower recover first)

And maybe get my fleet up and running again too. lol.

Surprising that the eastern coast of north America is still so quiet... So you didn't feel tempted to get some Ottoman Med island like Cyprus while you were at it?

I don't get it either. Everything between Miami and, say, Boston is clear of Europeans. Still, I am not complaining. As for Med islands, see below for why not.

Not before he has the core of France and a stable colonial empire! But Sicily or Corsica might be some good targets...

Exactly. Also bare in mind that to grab Mediteranean islands, I would need to have an actual navy capable of going up against the Ottoman galleys. As it stands, I have only half a fleet, and it is getting obsolete.
But who knows what will happen 150 years from now?

lol. 11 years of gameplay and 42 pics. I guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow :)

m6TYM4P.jpg

Chapter 23: Peace, War and More Peace.
Three things have to be done before I go to war against Savoy or Venice again.
The first is repaying my loan, which is easy, given the fact that I have plenty of money.
The second is rebuilding my navy. I want plenty of trade ships, but I also want a sizeable combat fleet and the ability to move an entire army at once. This is going to take a lot of money and a couple of years.
The third is modernising my army. I never seem to build enough cannons to get the perfect ratio. Time to change that once and for all.

After repaying my 600-ducats loan, I still have enough left to support Baroque Music. This will give me +1 prestige per year for 20 years at the cost of 10 Admin Points and 120 ducats.

The king’s reputation gets tarnished and I choose to lose 100 DP instead of 1 stability, which would have cost me more in Admin Points.

z8gdvIg.png

January, 1609. Admin Tech Level reaches level 17. Since I still have Defensive and Exploration Ideas to finish, I decide to go for Administrative Ideas instead. My first pick would have been Expansion, for the extra colonist, though.

q0VxGDN.png

Delaware is finally cored, and I start work on Pamlico, hoping to reach Miami before Spain or Portugal do.

yfx1Xy7.png

Sweden wants Friesland, but for some reason or other, the Emperor doesn’t agree. He calls me in and France takes over as warleader. I send a large army to Hamburg, but I will let the HRE draw the first blood. They can soak a ton of Swedish Manpower. I am still recovering from Austria’s last war.

In August, I get 5% global settler increase. This will be more than a little welcome to grow my colony faster.

7DjFPXO.png

Mainland Denmark was taken without firing a single shot, but now the Swedish are determined to make a stand. They will loose this battle, and open up the way into Sweden itself.
Notice my army standing by in Stade.

JdqhryE.png

Sweden is allied to Russia, but they have prior commitments. Lithuania will loose a couple of provinces in the peace deal. I believe Smolensk is one of them.

After another failed Swedish attempt to lift the siege of Copenhagen, the time is ripe to take a more active part in the proceedings. I start carpet sieging everything south of Stockholm, watching an Austrian army of 18,000 head into what used to be Norway.

The king of France dies. His son, Henri III, is a 5/2/0. Funny side-note: The Von Habsburgs are not even in control of Austria anymore, where the royal dynasty is now Wendel.

RpBZq4g.png

While I am sending a secondary force into Finland, this decision pops up. The benefits are too good not to take it. Of ourse, what I failed to take into consideration, was the effect is would have on both my legitimacy and Royal Marriages. The first takes an initial nose dive from 51 back to 25. After renewing a couple of my RMs, I end up with a Legitimacy of 19. About half of what I started this chapter with.

On cue, rebels start popping up in France. They are easily dealt with, but they are still an annoyance.

Remember that Austrian army that headed for Norway? Apparently, they got eaten by the Swedes, because out of nowhere pops a large Swedish army (24,000), and they start munching on my siege stacks. I loose 2 of them before I can intercept the enemy.

sZL0Oih.png

Finally, in 1614, after 4 years of warfare, Sweden gives in. I would have preferred to release Norway instead, but this will, hopefully, still provide a healthy buffer.
At any rate, I want to start getting things done on my end.
My trade ships have finished building and I am working on my Galleons, but with the Swedish navy out in force, it is too risky to assemble them into working squadrons.

The very next day, I reach Diplomatic Tech level 18. Merchantmen become available. For a moment, I toy with the idea of scrapping my 21 Flutes, but what the heck. They are only transports, after all.

IzqlL0M.png

French ideas are fully realised and I must admit, even though Administration wasn’t my first chocie of Idea, the 25% discount on mercenary costs are always nice to have in a pinch. With my income, I could conceivably keep a bunch of them as fulltime retainers.

The king is so thrilled, that he orders more Galleons to be build, and even produces an heir, Louis XV (I think). He is a 1/2/5, so that should balance out nicely with his father’s stats. Provided this one actually survives, that is.

ucjgz7g.png

A huge monument is build to commemorate our victory over Sweden and our 20-year-peace with the HRE. I find myself in debt once again, but this affectively doubles my Legitimacy.

ZVgGgnv.png

I am making 40 ducats per month, even with the 2nd largest army and the 5th largest navy in the world. Time to make better use of that, I think.
I pull my colonist out of Pamlico and send him to Santee. I have 11 regiments on their way over. Once the colony has been started, and depending on expenses at the time, I plan to send him on his way again, to finish the American East Cost as quickly as possible. I have been extremely lucky here, so far, but we all know you can’t rely on luck alone.

dBFpg7N.png

A look at the Western Trade Node. Being embargoed by 3 nations here effectively makes me a second-rate power in this node, but how can anyone effectively compete with the British supremacy here? As I write this, I cannot help but wonder how the changes in Wealth Of Nations will effect trade in this node. Would I send my 30 trade ships to harass British trade power instead?

I enact 2 decisions: Sunday Schools (+1% Missionary Strength) and Advancement Of True Religion Act (+1 revolt risk for +1% missionary strength). This shaves off at least a couple of years to convert Holland.

My claims on Savoy will run out in 5 years, so I still have some time that can be used to let my Manpower recover.

saSJBAd.png

The Holy See. I am fairly confident that I don’t have to worry about a thing in this regard for the time being. I haven’t even done anything except maintain my cardinals when someone (mostly Spain) tried to compete over them. Pure luck, really.

cuPADMz.png

The Académie Française will give me 10% bonus on Administrative Tech for the next 10 years, and it doesn’t even cost anything! Awesome!

Unami becomes a core in 1618. As soon as Pamlico and Santee are done, I will have my very own Colonial Nation. What should I call it, I wonder?

Let’s make a game out of it, shall we? Post your suggestion for a name and I will pick the one I like best. And you will get to see it immortalised in these pages.

Holland becomes catholic in June, 1618. History is changed once again.

d9Q5xzd.png

Ile De France, however, as was expected, will not be so easy. Even after raising my stability to +3, I am still coming up short in Missionary Strength. By my calculations, adding a level+4 fort to the province will not even be enough to get it done. It would seem like I am stuck with this last Protestant province.

Lw7z6Pn.png

Austria “wins” another war against the Ottomans and Algiers (white peace) and enacts a third Imerial reform.

ILGxZd3.png

April, 1619. Here is a look at France’s military strength. I have never build so many artillery regiments. Let’s see if they are worth it.

zImWWDZ.png

Savoy finally, after 25 years or so, dissolves the coalition against France. For the first time in, what feels like a century, France is no longer on anyone’s death list.
I reach Military Tech level 17.
It is now june, 1619. My Savoyard claims will end in December, 1620. If I want to hit them, now is the time. My tech is up-to-date, and my MP has reached the 100K again. Savoy’s allies are not very powerful: a couple of 2-province minors in northern Germany.

tuZJHHw.png

The only uncertain factor, is the Austrian response. How will they react? Will they respect our longstanding alliance, or will they do their duty as Emperor? With a large number of allies and a really scary general, they could conceivably gum things up for me.
But we are France. Ruling is our destiny! It must be done!

Don’t forget to vote for the name of my CN, and I will see you next time!

What will yo do with the wealth of nations as that patch will probably breake save-games as there are many changes (it would probbly foirce you to become rival with Austria).

Also call your colonial nation "la Nouvelle-Habsbourg" or "la Henriane". Either that or the name of some explorer that you used to discover America.

Last edited:
What will yo do with the wealth of nations as that patch will probably breake save-games as there are many changes (it would probbly foirce you to become rival with Austria).

Also call your colonial nation "la Nouvelle-Habsbourg" or "la Henriane". Either that or the name of some explorer that you used to discover America.

I am hoping it won't, but if I have to, I will delay the patch+DLC. I am most concerned with the changes to vassal-veeding/diplo-annexing. It's the basic reason why Milan, Ferrarra and Modena are still around. And Aragon, obviously, would be a b**** to feed.
As for the name of the explorer, well, I guess you'd have to ask the Portugese and Spanish governments :)
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am hoping it won't, but if I have to, I will delay the patch+DLC. I am most concerned with the changes to vassal-veeding/diplo-annexing. It's the basic reason why Milan, Ferrarra and Modena are still around. And Aragon, obviously, would be a b**** to feed.
As for the name of the explorer, well, I guess you'd have to ask the Portugese and Spanish governments :)
Thanks for the suggestion.

I meant more the first french explorer. But the one who discovered the continent first might be a good suggestion too.

I meant more the first french explorer. But the one who discovered the continent first might be a good suggestion too.

Actually, I never used an explorer. The Iberians did all the exploring for me. Don't ask me why they never settled. Still, it was very nice of them. I should bring some flowers to the Spanish queen next time my friends and me visit Madrid :)