• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stop looking at the sky!
Damn I love freedom of choice. :p

Also, galleys are quite powerful in inland seas. And much cheaper.

Freedom of choice is the spice of life. As for galleys, you're right they are cheaper. But, one Carrack might tip the scales in battle...

Stop looking at the sky!
Damn I love freedom of choice. :p

Also, galleys are quite powerful in inland seas. And much cheaper.

Galleys, on a per capita cost, are much better than carracks when fighting in the Baltic, or Mediterranean. However, I always feel a bit out of naval race as Spain when half my fleet is composed of galleys (to counter the OE) while I'm way behind France or England in heavy ships for the colonial race.

At least with Byzantium, well - I always build galleys because I'm so far away from the Atlantic anyways; and I'm usually short on money! :p

Galleys, on a per capita cost, are much better than carracks when fighting in the Baltic, or Mediterranean. However, I always feel a bit out of naval race as Spain when half my fleet is composed of galleys (to counter the OE) while I'm way behind France or England in heavy ships for the colonial race.

At least with Byzantium, well - I always build galleys because I'm so far away from the Atlantic anyways; and I'm usually short on money! :p

Galleys, or carracks...it is true galleys are much cheaper and faster, but if I were to up against a navy as big as mine with galleys...the carrack might turn the tide in battle. As for Spain I have top get them as an ally. Then, I won't need the larger ships, except for going to the new world...if I ever get the chance to go there.

...To fill our coffers, we sacrificed some great minds, as well as a number of magistrates.

Often the only way at the beginning.

...With the good, there comes some bad. As for the bad, this was fourth lost of stability in the last ten years.

I notice this seems to be quite common in games I play, especially countries that are already either small or very hard to get off the ground like Sweden, it is maddening!

...This is the worse start I’ve had since Transylvania.

I suppose on the bright side, at least you got them and you are now somewhat bigger than you were :)

Entertaining AAR so far I'm glad to say.

Often the only way at the beginning.

I notice this seems to be quite common in games I play, especially countries that are already either small or very hard to get off the ground like Sweden, it is maddening!

I suppose on the bright side, at least you got them and you are now somewhat bigger than you were :)

Entertaining AAR so far I'm glad to say.

I hope to keep you entertained.

Carrack is easier to sail with just Range and his friends than a galley should they need to flee the scene.
As the Empire, if the Ottomans do overlook you, Venice decides it's time to complete the conquest.

Carrack is easier to sail with just Range and his friends than a galley should they need to flee the scene.
As the Empire, if the Ottomans do overlook you, Venice decides it's time to complete the conquest.

Or, Venice...I have no friends...and, those that don't want to destroy the Byzantine Empire, are keeping their distance.

BYZANTINE

33pd3jc.jpg

Entry V

Farly moved up to Range, to give him a glimpse of the future. “You know, you’re right in that you have to look for openings. The only problem is to know when they appear”

“The biggest problem is to be ready when they appear.”

“Quite right.”

znkizt.jpg

“Right now,” said Range, “the picture looks a whole lot brighter.”

“The Ottoman Empire is being devoured,” said Lucas. “Is this the time, then?”

“Not yet…they still have a navy that’s stronger than ours. We need to trap their army on the other side of the Sea of Marmara.”

2w4bl7n.jpg

It took a war between Venice and Ottoman that gave Byzantine the open the needed.

2u6p5ci.jpg

“We should take advantage of our new ally,” said Farly. “It won’t last long.”

1179oxe.jpg

“This is the start of something big,” said Range with glee. “No Ottoman navy.”

n68doo.jpg

Battles were between small armies. Range knew he had to cover every province on his side of the Marmara.

v2ttly.jpg

“We can use every ducat we can get.”

Farly stared at Range knowingly, and soon mumbled to himself. “It will be bring a great moment…an ally…victory…but, don’t get used to having both.”

“Your such a downer,” said Lucas.

f00r35.jpg

The war began to fan out.

33agor9.jpg

The war continued.

14ltts4.jpg

Across the peace table, Range played hard ball.

fbgaki.jpg

Then the war was over.

“We’ll have to return the favor to Hungary”

“No, Range…you’ll never get the chance to return the favor,” said Farly. “Byzantium will be pretty much be on its own from here on in.”

“Why do you say that?” Asked Lucas

“Because, we’re the Romans, and thus we’re not liked, or trusted.”

I will be on the road for the next week. I wanted to at least put this post on line before I left.

Last edited:
Brilliant result - I can foresee great things for the nation, and still so early on :)

Now that was a decisive victory!
Your size increased many-fold! :eek:

Oh how easy the AI was in Eu3... ;)

It was fun. The Byzantine Empire has tripled in size...now, I have to join the provinces together with additional prizes.

However, Just before going to war, I wondered if it could be that simple to defeat them. Still, with them having no navy they were ripe to be taken.

Brilliant result - I can foresee great things for the nation, and still so early on :)

Now, with the Ottomans being cut down to my size, the days of their empire might be coming to a swift end.

Last edited:
BYZANTINE

33pd3jc.jpg

Entry VI

nlbzep.jpg

Bulgarian rebels…with there being no Bulgaria, Range wanted to be make sure that the nation wouldn’t suddenly appear.

28hkeut.jpg

Of course, the Byzantine Empire didn’t own the province of Bulgaria. So, there wasn’t much he could do, short of going to war against the Ottoman Empire.

wqr9c8.jpg

So, that’s exactly the Byzantine Empire did. Hungary came in our side. No one came to the aid of the Ottomans

9zsv3r.jpg

Again, the main body of the Ottoman Empire could not get into the fray.

2ch2b07.jpg

What is wrong with you people?

10elaxe.jpg

Even though the fighting with the Ottoman Empire was over for now. The Byzantine Empire found themselves in a war against Moldavia, Serbia, Rome and their numerous allies.

...What is wrong with you people?...

LOL, something I often end up saying (or shouting) as well.

...Even though the fighting with the Ottoman Empire was over for now. The Byzantine Empire found themselves in a war against Moldavia, Serbia, Rome and their numerous allies.

Well, the province of Bulgaria will come in handy in the medium term aim of uniting two of your territories. If you are lucky, perhaps you will be able to get Nis in a peace deal from Serbia in order to achieve just that.

Achaea and Venice look just ripe for swallowing as well at some point to join up the third part :)

LOL, something I often end up saying (or shouting) as well.

Well, the province of Bulgaria will come in handy in the medium term aim of uniting two of your territories. If you are lucky, perhaps you will be able to get Nis in a peace deal from Serbia in order to achieve just that.

Achaea and Venice look just ripe for swallowing as well at some point to join up the third part :)

It's really a pain to see the comet, especially after you regained stability. And, as for Nis, it's like Serbia is playing right into my hands. Nis is needed to join the provinces. As for Venice, I'm trying to make them an ally for at least a while.

How can Roman Empire be in a war against Rome?
And damn the Ottos are slacking again. :p

They did it twice...but, now I have to take the fight to them.

GL, Range!
and those hordes can be annoying at times.

Thank you...I'll need it.

They can be a lot annoying...until you're able to take their land by colonizing. But, at the beginning...you can't hold onto their land long enough to colonize...no troop coverage.

Fantastic progress so far! The Turks are almost expelled from Europe!

Fantastic progress so far! The Turks are almost expelled from Europe!

Thanks, my friend. I might have pushed them out with this war if Edirne wasn't their capital (they were busy fighting the hordes and their forces were split. Some were at the coast guarding against me coming across). Now, to finish the war with Moldavia.

Last edited:
Best off kicking the Otto's to the other side of the sea of Marmara as a buffer between the Timmies and you. What's up with Bosnia and Serbia? Are they independent or vassaled?
Either way crushing them is needed before the Golden Horde show up at Adrianople for another addition to the city's title of most fought over place on earth.