• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true, All I can say is that I'll advocate just as fiercely for a Labour-Liberal Pact as for a Renewed Liberal-Labour one. :)
You might be alone in that, given how vehemently your fellow Liberal leaders criticize and slander Labour.

This is true, All I can say is that I'll advocate just as fiercely for a Labour-Liberal Pact as for a Renewed Liberal-Labour one. :)

It must be made crystal clear from the start that any future Lib-Lab Alliance will be a partnership of equals, in which the sovereignty and right to exist of both parties within the alliance is respected by both parties. There can be no talk of one trying to anschluss the other - Labour voters are not going to back the Alliance if they think its just a vehicle for the Liberals to gobble up their party, and vice versa.

You might be alone in that, given how vehemently your fellow Liberal leaders criticize and slander Labour.

I like to believe that said leaders (not Grimond, that man is poison) are capable of turning over a new leaf. But I want to see a formal repudiation of their past domineering ways before any hypothetical deal goes through.

I like to believe that said leaders (not Grimond, that man is poison) are capable of turning over a new leaf. But I want to see a formal repudiation of their past domineering ways before any hypothetical deal goes through.
Well, I meant the members for Liverpool West Derby and Rutland and Stamford, who make up this theoretical trioka that our friend, the member for Belfast South has proposed.

It must be made crystal clear from the start that any future Lib-Lab Alliance will be a partnership of equals, in which the sovereignty and right to exist of both parties within the alliance is respected by both parties. There can be no talk of one trying to anschluss the other - Labour voters are not going to back the Alliance if they think its just a vehicle for the Liberals to gobble up their party, and vice versa.

I completely understand and agree, If the Liberals try any Grimond like shenanigans again I shall rejoin the labour party permanently and irrevocably.

Well, I meant the members for Liverpool West Derby and Rutland and Stamford, who make up this theoretical trioka that our friend, the member for Belfast South has proposed.

Well clearly we can't have a Lib-Lab alliance dominated by only three Liberals! That wouldn't be much of an equal partnership now would it? :D

Personally, I'm prepared to give Rosa the benefit of the doubt, because I feel that she would genuinely support a party or parties which endorsses the social market economy, more third world aid and a foreign policy aimed at improving human rights and fighting autocracy abroad and which is committed to strengthening equality of opportunity at home. Those are the values I think Labour should champion in the coming decades. Antonine, in light of his past views on such matters, I am rather less willing to trust.

Ah that thing :eek:o, it's more of a pressure group inside the liberal party than the beginnings of an cross party alliance.
All the same. Those members, though dear people with ideas I occasionally find agreeable enough, are amongst the most vocal critics of Labour. Perhaps even the most vocal.

You need to understand that Labour need to compromise too. Liberal party have changed to a degree, and in order to be appealing Labour need to change too. However some members have expressed their desires to do so. But it takes two to Tango.

All the same. Those members, though dear people with ideas I occasionally find agreeable enough, are amongst the most vocal critics of Labour. Perhaps even the most vocal.

Well the current Labour manifesto is the most conservative, and unappealing at the moment. Doesn't mean it can't change in the future. And Antonine have expressed his desire to cooperate with Labour.

Well the current Labour manifesto is the most conservative, and unappealing at the moment. Doesn't mean it can't change in the future. And Antonine have expressed his desire to cooperate with Labour.

More to the point, he has expressed a desire to annex the Labour Party. This is not how I view a partnership of equals.

You need to understand that Labour need to compromise too. Liberal party have changed to a degree, and in order to be appealing Labour need to change too. However some members have expressed their desires to do so. But it takes two to Tango.
And Labour has not been open to compromise? It has been the junior partner for the Liberals since 1950, which seems to have given the Liberal leadership a touch of arrogance, given Grimond's antics and the current Yellow manifesto demanding their views be instated or else they will not cooperate. I... cannot see how Labour is any more obstinate, and I know, myself, I am willing to compromise on... almost anything save that the welfare state be maintained, so that those born into a less fortunate state, or forced into such by ill fortune, are not left to live a life that is nasty, brutish and short, to use Hobbes' turn of phrase.
Antonine have expressed his desire to cooperate with Labour.
Meanwhile, but a few pages ago, you cheer for votes that aren't even for your party :p

And Labour has not been open to compromise? It has been the junior partner for the Liberals since 1950, which seems to have given the Liberal leadership a touch of arrogance, given Grimond's antics and the current Yellow manifesto demanding their views be instated or else they will not cooperate. I... cannot see how Labour is any more obstinate, and I know, myself, I am willing to compromise on... almost anything save that the welfare state be maintained, so that those born into a less fortunate state, or forced into such by ill fortune, are not left to live a life that is nasty, brutish and short, to use Hobbes' turn of phrase.

What are your thoughts on the Social Market Economy? I'm sure Rosa would view Labour's formal adoption of it as a fitting compromise, and I would certainly view it as a possible way to maintain the welfare state while combating unemployment and inflation.

What are your thoughts on the Social Market Economy? I'm sure Rosa would view Labour's formal adoption of it as a fitting compromise, and I would certainly view it as a possible way to maintain the welfare state while combating unemployment and inflation.
Economics has never been my strong point, to be perfectly candid. At a brief skim of what the social market economy theory stands for, I hardly think I would be opposed.

Alright! I think were making headway.

(If This were a superinteractive AAR we could be hammering out the details right now!)

I like to think that Tommy is paying attention. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.