• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And if the barbarian mercenary company ends up with land, the mercenary company is disbanded by event (or by CB on_success effect.)

No, I don´t agree. The company should only be disbanded when a non-native takes control of the land given to the tribe or the company itself. Or when there are no native nobles left (including regular courtiers). As long as the (noble)people exists, so should the company

Right now, mercenary companies (and other landless titles) are buggy when they own land. They give all the counties away to vassals, and can't be attacked.

Right now, mercenary companies (and other landless titles) are buggy when they own land. They give all the counties away to vassals, and can't be attacked.

Well it wouldn´t be a mercenary company owning the land. Remember that they are also granted either a county or a titular duchy called "whatever tribe it happens to be". The ruler of the titular duchy or county is the former tribal leader and he has the company as his secondary title. That way, you won´t have to interact with a company-commander, but a count or a duke.

Well it wouldn´t be a mercenary company owning the land. Remember that they are also granted either a county or a titular duchy called "whatever tribe it happens to be". The ruler of the titular duchy or county is the former tribal leader and he has the company as his secondary title. That way, you won´t have to interact with a company-commander, but a count or a duke.
That sounds rather complicated and I think the game might bug out when the ruler dies. Honestly I don't see much value being gained from the whole system other than an attempt to program something that hasn't been done before. I think simpler means are more in order, especially given the limited scope they would apply: a theoretical restored WRE. I'm not sure the ERE ever really let barbarians settle in their lands, though I guess it isn't completely impossible.

Why don't you have an event fire when you border a "barbaric" tribe that allows you to either let them join your army (like in history) or force them to vasslize (grants you a conquest CB). If you let them join you get an increase in levies but you get a modifier that lowers taxes and raises the chance for rebellion in a few border provinces.

Why don't you have an event fire when you border a "barbaric" tribe that allows you to either let them join your army (like in history) or force them to vasslize (grants you a conquest CB). If you let them join you get an increase in levies but you get a modifier that lowers taxes and raises the chance for rebellion in a few border provinces.
Because I feel that the decision wasn't really made by the Romans, who were often too weak to really make it. It was made by the barbarians themselves who often acted as sell swords long enough to be let in and then wreck up the place from within.

Plus by this point (476), really, the worst of the damage has been done: Rome is sacked and the Visigoths (who were originally let in under the whole "let them in and hire them" system) are already riding high on their conquests. I'm not sure, but I don't think the Franks or Lombards were ever really considered for any of this - they basically conquered the remains of a shattered Rome and then converted to Christianity when it benefited them.

On an ahistorical note - the Pope had to choose between the Franks and Soissons as the successor to the WRE, could he have possibly picked the Visigoths too? They had a considerable about of former WRE territory at this point and likely more legitimacy, though I think their aggression against Soissons would preclude them.

The Visigoths were predominantly Arian, though, weren't they?

I just read through the hole barbarian within the borders discussion, and I have to ask how important is it to this start date. If we pushed back the date a bit further back, the this will be crucial, but how realistically often is this happening at this point in time, because at this point, the Franks and Vandals ect. are just flat out taking land.

The Visigoths were predominantly Arian, though, weren't they?

Yeah the Visigoths were Arian so i dont know why they should be included.
You two are correct, that would be my mistake.

I just read through the hole barbarian within the borders discussion, and I have to ask how important is it to this start date. If we pushed back the date a bit further back, the this will be crucial, but how realistically often is this happening at this point in time, because at this point, the Franks and Vandals ect. are just flat out taking land.
I'd love to see whatever you are willing to put the love into. 476 is a great moment in history: Rome has fallen and the Germans reign supreme. Earlier would be great too, I get to be the Goths who sack and settle Rome. Chrush Christianity when it is young or lead the hardy Saxons to glory in England.

But you are right, I think the age of the "peaceful" settlement is over if you stick to 476.

Please don't change the start date. I like it as is, right before the Ostrogothic invasion of Italy. If you push the start date back, you are going to have to change a lot of things to make it work.

Please don't change the start date. I like it as is, right before the Ostrogothic invasion of Italy. If you push the start date back, you are going to have to change a lot of things to make it work.

Dont't worry, I don't intend to, the official start date is December 9th 480.

Afterwards, the other start dates will be:

Julius Nepos May 1st 480
Franks Divided: November 27 511
Phoenix Resurgent: November 14th, 565

Last edited:
Sorry to be such a stickler! The area north of the Tarim Basin and most of the area of Khwarezm adjacent to the Caspian Sea should definitely be Turkic steppe pagan at this point. Afghanistan and Pakistan were satellites of Indian culture at this time, they should be Buddhist mostly.

Dont't worry, I don't intend to, the official start date is December 9th 480.

Afterwards, the other start dates will be:

Julius Nepos May 1st 480
Franks Divided: November 27 511
Phoenix Resurgent: November 14th, 565

Won't you make Franks united a bookmark? Also about pushing the start date maybe a 476 start date could be good to have too, but maybe later when you are finished with current list of start dates and the mod is realesed.

Won't you make Franks united a bookmark? Also about pushing the start date maybe a 476 start date could be good to have too, but maybe later when you are finished with current list of start dates and the mod is realesed.

yeah, there will be an invasion of Soissons bookmark. But the base release will only have A Shattered Empire and Julius Nepos as start dates.

Also comming, a look at the Pre-Schism Papacy and Ecumenial Patriarchy, Redone Franks, Bosporan Cults, and new nations in Mauretania.

Why is the Julius Nepos-bookmark dated on the first may? (pardon me for my ignorance if there is an obvious answer for this) After looking him up he did not die at this start date and no major event seems to have happened at this date.

Why is the Julius Nepos-bookmark dated on the first may? (pardon me for my ignorance if there is an obvious answer for this) After looking him up he did not die at this start date and no major event seems to have happened at this date.

He was preparing a major invasion of Italy to reclaim the Empire. Two days later he was murdered, preventing him from putting into motion.

He was preparing a major invasion of Italy to reclaim the Empire. Two days later he was murdered, preventing him from putting into motion.

Oh, on the french wikipedia it stood that he maybe died on the ninth of may. Thank you for the answer anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.