• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a good solution to me, and should they have event troops after unifying.

Yes I think they should to encourage their conquest on Soissons (or something else)

I am mostly concerned that with so much history to change there might never BE French people.

If it makes you feel any better, think of them as Proto-French or Barbarian French running around and hitting people with their Baguettes (sorry for being stereotypical French people!)

Edit: I also think it is a good solution

If it makes you feel any better, think of them as Proto-French or Barbarian French running around and hitting people with their Baguettes (sorry for being stereotypical French people!)

I'm half-french! :angry: (;))

Edit:
The male heirs of the king should inherit different ducal titles of the ancient kingdom and vassalise the vassals equitably. I do not know if this possible though.
Let the duchies that become created out of this make themselves kings (maybe just petty kings or something similar)

Is this possible to mod?

I think it's possible, the bit about inheriting different titles and all. I believe AGOT has some events encouraging rulers holding multiple titles to grant them to kin. About the vassals, though, I'm unsure, and could easily be wrong.

That being said, we could avoid events and just use gavelkind, as previously offered. I'm not quite sure what's so bugged about it. At least, I've never had that much problem with it.

I think it's possible, the bit about inheriting different titles and all. I believe AGOT has some events encouraging rulers holding multiple titles to grant them to kin. About the vassals, though, I'm unsure, and could easily be wrong.

That being said, we could avoid events and just use gavelkind, as previously offered. I'm not quite sure what's so bugged about it. At least, I've never had that much problem with it.

For me it's just a big NO-NO! Gavelkind succesion randomly spread out all of the titles to his heirs (for example if you own the counties of Rennes and Paris and also both of the duchies, it might give the county of Paris to the same guy as it gives the duchy of Britanny to). It is just far to randoom and destabilize's the realm by making the duchies messed up. Historically the king would have chosen (in case of the franks) to give one entire duchy to his son with all of the counties dejure associated to it and not spread it out to meelee it up.

If you can guarantee that it is correctly spread out I would be fine to use it though. Maybe through maintenance events forcing the counties to be correctly divided?

Last edited:

That would proabably be best, to use gavelkind and just make it harder to get any other inheritance law, like increasing the tech requirement or something. Though I wouldn´t know about the bugs since I myself always cheat my way to Absolute Cognatic Primogeniture

For me it's just a big NO-NO! Gavelkind suggestion randomly spread out all of the titles to his heirs (for example if you own the counties of Rennes and Paris and also both of the duchies, it might give the county of Paris to the same guy as it gives the duchy of Britanny to). It is just far to randoom and destabilize's the realm by making the duchies messed up. Historically the king would have chosen (in case of the franks) to give one entire duchy to his son with all of the counties dejure associated to it and not spread it out to meelee it up.

Isn´t that a motivation for unification wars? Scattered titles would be a great tool for infighting and mayhem. And it would also prevent them from blobbing too much.

Isn´t that a motivation for unification wars? Scattered titles would be a great tool for infighting and mayhem. And it would also prevent them from blobbing too much.

I think the point is no father would want to give that gift to his kids. He would want his successor realms to stable and prosperous.

Yes it is, but it is also very far from historical and do not at all represent any logical realistic realm. With the destruction of the original tiltle and a logic and historical divide the kingdom would also motivate unification wars.

I think the point is no father would want to give that gift to his kids. He would want his successor realms to stable and prosperous.

Entierly that too Enlil!

I just think relying upon events for successions opens up the possibility of bugs a bit much. But, if we can do it, and manage to get it to work relatively reliably, then it works, I guess.

I just think relying upon events for successions opens up the possibility of bugs a bit much. But, if we can do it, and manage to get it to work relatively reliably, then it works, I guess.

A shame that there are no moddable sucession laws... I hope that this can be solved without any major issues/bugs though.

About the Franks: is it possible to add an Event, when the frankish King is really old and has many Sons, were he can choose which son inherits which Duchy? Im not expierienced in modding thow so i dont know if that works.

In Dejure Mapping I'm currently on the last Hispania "Kingdom", Cartaginensis. I reduced Balearica to a duchy, even though it was a province.

On the subject of Hispania, I think that its Empire (Hispania I presume) should change name to Spania when the Byzantines invade in 552. This way, Justinian could be granted the title "Emperor of Spania" and have a good reason to subjugate the rest of the penninsula other than just his own ambition.

Edit: Why? Because the Byzantines called their province there Spania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spania

2nd edit: Or it could be a titular kingdom to better simulate a province?

On the subject of Hispania, I think that its Empire (Hispania I presume) should change name to Spania when the Byzantines invade in 552. This way, Justinian could be granted the title "Emperor of Spania" and have a good reason to subjugate the rest of the penninsula other than just his own ambition.

Edit: Why? Because the Byzantines called their province there Spania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spania

2nd edit: Or it could be a titular kingdom to better simulate a province?
You wouldn't give all of Hispania to them, just a titular title. To get them to try to conquer back their land you could give them a new CB, Restore the Empire. This CB would only be available to the Eastern Empire or the West if it's restored. To simulate the crushing effect wars had on the Roman economy and military you would use gain_all_occupied_titles and only gain_all_occupied_titles so that actually winning the war does nothing and you need to capture land to get it.

OK, so here's my idea for barbarians settling within the Empire.
When playing as a barbarian chief with a border on either the Western (if restored) or Eastern Empire and a realmsize of less than, say, 10 you could get a decision "Seek Refuge in the East/West". Selecting this decision means that an event is fired for the emperor over letting them in. If the emperor does not accept then the barbarian gets a decision to either back down or declare war. I'm not quite sure how to do the declare war part, perhaps you could skip it. If the emperor accepts then the barbarian chief gives up all of his land, similar to how the Magyars do it when forming Hungary and is given a landless mercenary title equal to his (so if he's a count, he gets a count title, if he's a duke he gets a duke title and if he's Gothic he gets a title "The Goths", if he's Frankish he gets "The Franks") within the empire, with all his vassals having generic landless tribal titles like companion or something. Barbarian Emperors would not be able to use the decision.

The now vassal barbarian chief would be the head of a mercenary company in fief to the Emperor and would ask for a county or duchy to rule after a while, in the same way that landless sons do. However, when the chief received the county or duchy the culture would switch to the same as the barbarian chief's.

This idea's a bit complex, maybe you could simplify it.

I don't think you can give landless titles below the rank of duke.

I don't think you can give landless titles below the rank of duke.
This might be rather complicated: but can settling be a war? Like a migration war?

If you declare a migration war against an empire, it basically works like this:
- If you win, you win like normal. You move, you take new lands, you lose old lands.
- If you lose, you lose like normal. You don't move, you don't take new lands, you lose a bunch of prestige and maybe your vassals revolt for failing them.
- If you WP, though, you win and lose: You move, you take new lands, you lose old lands, and you are immediately vassalized by the Emperor.

It would be interesting, but it might represent the long border wars that eventually led to, as John Green put it: barbarians inside the gates.

Of course, barbarians inside need to give the emperor bonuses, like a mercenary company. A lot of barbarian leaders were referred to as kings, so I suppose you could make them petty kings with a mercenary company inside the empire if you didn't want them to be actual kings, and if you can't have landless counts then maybe they could just become courtiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.