• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh one other thing, I definitely felt your pain as far as march madness went. Its been a crazy few weeks with all the great basketball being played (including my alma mater doing better than expected!) It really is a sporting event with no equal as far as the sheer intense fun of it all.

Anyways, keep up the good work man.

Your liege lord is King Odd. Can't help but wonder if that name is a case of very literal foreshadowing. I kinda hope it is, but then again, I don't think CK has events like 'Elect my horse as a consul' or 'Declare war on the sea and collect shells as booty'. Ah well, hope springs eternal.

Given Mikkel's unfortunate tumble (hah! Once again your character is done in by tumbling! Such wit!), I think you've done very well, steering your realm while you have an underage ruler and no alliances. Pledging fealty to the Swedes, even if they are led by King Odd, sounds like the best move of the whole update.

If I got the timeline right, Gudrun should be about to turn adult. I look forward to finding out what our warrior queen can achieve once she's out from underneath the regency's shadow.

@LordEnglish: Yeah it is working so far, I may resort to gamey tactics though as far as the culture. Wait until I have an heir born and educate them with a Danish guy, then culture switch to Sweden to gather an independence faction. Or hopefully my Spymaster can gather enough support, its either that or save up a boatload of money so I can bring in a merc swarm to slap the initial Swedish Defense Forces.

@ScribleScrable: I was looking forward to Mikkel dominating the Baltic as well. But who knows perhaps Gudrun will be able to figure something out that will work in that regard.

But yeah March Madness, that gets me every year! I'm actually impressed that Kentucky ran the gauntlet in their region, really think they should just end the tournament and crown them champs, I mean going through Wichita State, Louisville, Michigan, that was a rough set up for Kentucky can't believe they've made it to the Final Four. Honestly hoping for a UConn v Kentucky finals though, just because it'd be awesome to see a 7 seed up against an 8 in the Finals :)

I am curious though, which school was your alma mater? If you don't mind me asking of course.

@Stuyvesant: I'm not sure if its foreshadowing the CKII RNG does do some odd things at times though so we will have to wait and see. And yes tumbling all versions whether in bed or down stairs tend to be bad for my character's health. As far as Gudrun's age I believe she's between 13 and 14 if I am remembering my own timeline correctly so she should be coming of age rather soon.

Well, you've come a long way from sitting on Bornholm wondering if you were gonna make it. Swearing fealty to Sweden hurts, but is probably the best thing. You'll become independent when you form Denmark, and then you'll probably be strong enough to take them on, especially with your holdings in Prussia. Could you maybe post a map to show us your current holdings? You can use the 'direct vassals' view for that, so it won't say Sweden.

Now that Sweden has seen the light and converted (undoubtedly because their king was so scared of your ruler and his divine wrath!), will you try to bring the Lithuanian pagans to the Light as well? By the sword if need be, of course. All for their own good. It won't matter that they're dead! They're with God now! :p
Catholicism is doing well in your game. With Mauretania converted the frontline between Cross and Crescent seems to have shifted to Africa, with all the Jihads. How are the Italians doing? If I recall correctly there was a Crusade for Sicily at one time. Did the Christians manage to hold Sicily? And are the Muslims expanding into the Greek hole that the ERE left behind yet?

Well, you've come a long way from sitting on Bornholm wondering if you were gonna make it. Swearing fealty to Sweden hurts, but is probably the best thing. You'll become independent when you form Denmark, and then you'll probably be strong enough to take them on, especially with your holdings in Prussia. Could you maybe post a map to show us your current holdings? You can use the 'direct vassals' view for that, so it won't say Sweden.

Now that Sweden has seen the light and converted (undoubtedly because their king was so scared of your ruler and his divine wrath!), will you try to bring the Lithuanian pagans to the Light as well? By the sword if need be, of course. All for their own good. It won't matter that they're dead! They're with God now! :p
Catholicism is doing well in your game. With Mauretania converted the frontline between Cross and Crescent seems to have shifted to Africa, with all the Jihads. How are the Italians doing? If I recall correctly there was a Crusade for Sicily at one time. Did the Christians manage to hold Sicily? And are the Muslims expanding into the Greek hole that the ERE left behind yet?

Yeah I've managed to survive so far! As far as forming Denmark that will be tricky. Apparently as a vassal Duke you can only usurp a Kingdom title, and can't create one, so I'll have to become independent first which should lead to some interesting things eventually. I think I have a map coming up in the next update I'll look at my screenshots to check.

Right now I'm probably not going to focus on Lithuania, I need to grab as much land from Sweden as possible so I can be strong enough to gain independence. And due to attrition in the pagan lands I'm not sure if I'm quite strong enough to go after them quite yet.

Catholicism is doing amazing in this game in fact its almost completely swallowed up Orthodoxy. With that said the Muslims of Anatolia lost all their holdings back to the Greeks, in fact Greece is made up of independent Duchies now, kind of like Italy is in EUIV, bunch of principalities feuding with one another. I think due to infighting and stuff the Muslims just haven't been able to muster the willpower to reconquer Greece and drive the Greeks out of Anatolia. So we're seeing Catholic Greeks making a comeback, I'd love to get to play there and try and form the Kingdom of Greece.

And the Catholics have held Sicily, but the Tulunids have made a comeback in southern Italy and hold like three or four counties now. Think they stole them away from the ERE.

I like the decision to swear fealty; it makes sense geographically and secutiry-wise. The only thing to be aware of is that, being a woman and of a foreign culture will hurt relations with the king, so stationing your chancellor in the capital to keep him happy is a good idea. Otherwise, he may start to plot to revoke a duchy, or back up the other vassals when they try to split your realm. If that happens, you'll want a nice cash reserve. At least land-wise, you're sitting pretty compared to the other jarls. The other big thing is to keep your spymaster happy, since being young and female means he (or she) might be more likely to back an assassination plot.

The upside of all of this is that you get to (at least partially) manage your education as a child, hopefully letting you avoid some bad traits. You probably know this, but one thing I do is search people in the whole realm (or your vassals) for tutors, rather than relying on what the game shows you (just whose in your court or vassals). You could even look to move to Swedish, although since your similar enough already the foreigner penalty won't be that bad.

Part 7.5 - Prussia & Sjaelland

@TheDeaconBosco: I'm sure they have, but I haven't checked the religion map mode lately so not entirely sure. They had most of them converted when I had left though, although they did acquire a couple of new Muslim lands in recent years, so those probably haven't been converted yet.

@verdas: Yeah I really only did it because of Sweden's conversion, I didn't want to swear fealty to the HRE or weak Pomerania. You are right though the other jarls aren't going to play nice with little Gudrun, we have some times in store in the near future for her. Keeping the councilors happy is pretty much pointless at this point, they all hate me so if I somehow survive it'll be a miracle. The one thing I have going for me is all the councilors are Danish so they won't be too keen to jump in bed with a Swedish plot either.

As far as traits go, usually when I get a pop up giving me a choice I go with one that makes me laugh instead of one that will be positive, I enjoy getting mixed bag rulers more than perfect rulers.

~~~~~
Part 7.5 - Prussia & Sjaelland

Shortly after we declare our de jure war for the island of Fyn, of which just so happens to be ruled over by a kinsman of our liege King Odd, said liege finds himself facing his first revolt.

2014-03-22_00044_zpsa1d86bdf.jpg

Which means the Swedes will be a bit tied up for the moment and we may not have to worry about any of the Fyn's allies trying to save the day. Or at least we hope.

Meanwhile our forces travel from Prussia to rendezvous with our main Danish forces, and begin laying siege. Time goes by rather quickly with this guy and that guy falling over dead. Really no one of importance just some courtiers that hated me and one of our Counts of Bornholm. No big loss so no need to relay that info.

Come September of 1148, the HBE's anti-pope Valentine the something keels over dead and is replaced by Anti-Pope Innocent III. I'm actually a bit surprised they've held onto their antipopes for this long. Silly Breton Karlings trying to destroy the Catholic world's moral authority!

By January of 1149 we occupy two holdings.

2014-03-22_00053_zpsaffc7bcc.jpg

Obviously the rebellion is working out in our favor just as I suspected it would.

Spring begins with the news that more upheaval in Ireland is happening. As King Aedan de Wexford "the Young" is overthrown in favor of King Edouarzh Bonifazi. I'm pretty disappointed all that hard work in Ireland has been undone this quickly, the AI has been rather silly over on that island after we left.

In June Sultan AQ successfully defends Mauretania from the Jihad.

2014-03-22_00062_zps174ebd0a.jpg

A month later we capture Nyborg, and force the Count of Fyn to surrender.

2014-03-22_00064_zps18b6ab4c.jpg

Gudrun her youth alone has added three provinces to the realm, two more and she'll have more than matched the same amount of additions that her forebears had added. So I guess its a good time to call Gudrun Prussia's warrior Queen, I imagine her saying "All men must die" (shoutout to season four of GoT that aired tonight).

In August of 1149 we receive the sad news that our Catholic Zen-Master pope has unfortunately died.

2014-03-22_00065_zpsa883307c.jpg

His successor Pope Sixtus IV makes me wonder if we'll ever have a Pope Sixtus the Sixtus. We've had quite a few drunken lecherous popes to this point, even our Zenmaster was one. So the fact that Irish Pope Sixtus IV isn't a drunken little whoremonger makes me scratch my head and wonder if perhaps we need to convert to a more fun religion now.

In September I imprison Count Helgi, because well he needs to finish paying for his crimes against the fambam. He has been a vassal Count up until now so I think a banishment or revoking his titles or something along those lines is instore for mister Helgi.

The year 1150 then begins with little Gudrun all grown up and her regency coming to an end.

2014-03-22_00077_zpsc1f5859c.jpg

I guess she has alright traits, that ambitious one will probably cause some issues for us in the realm of diplomacy, but that shouldn't matter since Gudrun will Kill all men!

To make matters even more entertaining the dude I betrothed our warrior queen too by name of Adam Mihaljevic, well turns out he's homosexual. I didn't realize this until after the wedding, well you know its one of those things where the wifey would get a wee bit suspicious when her new young studly hubby spends the night in the stable instead of the marital bed.

2014-03-22_00080_zps4747ff94.jpg

This will make the baby-making thing all that much more stickier. Looks like the af Bornholm dynasty is going to have a population issue for a while.

Later on in the summer while trying to do everything in my power to make Adam mount Gudrun, I get pissy and send Gudrun's mother off to a convent to become a nun, because she may be causing some performance anxiety for our stud.

Another rebellion begins against King Odd, this just from a lone old woman Countess who wished to retain her pagan ways. No one really notices that war though, in fact most of Sweden ignores the crazy old lady.

In January of 1151, Gudrun get's an invitation to go to Cluny, and I decide to let her go because Adam still isn't working out for us.

2014-03-22_00086_zpsa47c12a7.jpg

Maybe separation will make his heart grow fonder.

While passing the time, I notice a strange color on Cyprus as well as that little part of Greece that used to Sparta way way way back in the day. Its a bright blueish of the like I've never seen before. Curious I click on the owner of this bright blue thing that has appeared.

And this is what I find.

2014-03-22_00089_zps13196a78.jpg

King Herri "the Bewitched" de St. Davids, the Breton King of Cyprus, these Bretons have sure gotten around in this game!

Now, I was impressed in the last update by the addition of Serbia into the playing field. But Cyprus, that is one I've never ever seen, not once! So not only am I surprised but hoping I can play as them eventually! I know the RNG won't be that nice but it'd be quite enjoyable being Breton Cyprus and uniting all of Greece, and destroying the Eastern Roman Empire. Oh the daydreams I got when I saw beautiful Cyprus appear upon our map.

Sorry I didn't screenshot Cyprus's precise location on the political map yet, minor oversight during my happiness. One of which I'll try to rectify in the following updates.

While I'm so happy that I'm almost clapping my hands, I decide its time to put our warrior Queen to work by declaring a Holy War for Holstein.

2014-03-22_00090_zpsbd37378c.jpg

Now why Holstein of all places is pagan and independent when its surrounded by the HBE, Pomerania and some weird tumor-like red blotch of Saxony (England), is sort of beyond me. But hey its free for our taking so why not go take it?

Meanwhile we also get some claims forged on Lubeck. Which is an opportunity we will explore sometime in the future.

We then engage in a battle that we easily win.

2014-03-22_00092_zpsceee08ba.jpg

In September of 1151 Gudrun attempts to prevent a man from jumping off a roof. She fails in this as she obviously has no tact with men, but nonetheless she still gets +2 diplomacy and fulfills the ambition to improve said skills.

We then win the siege of Hammershus, elevating our war-score to +67.

I then notice something else happen off in the Eastern reaches of Scandinavia. Yet another new Kingdom has formed under the AI's control.

2014-03-22_00102_zps9a4cb133.jpg

Suomi (Finland) has been created by the Slavic religion. The newly crowned King used to be the Duke of Estonia, so its interesting seeing him get a crown over in Finland. And will be just as interesting to see how Suomi interacts with Perm in the future.

The year 1152 passes by with little happening, still fighting our war. The Count of Fyn then pisses me off by starting some plot for the Duchy of Sjaelland and lands himself a new rent-free home in our dungeon.

In March of 1153, we win the siege of Dithmarschen (+87 war-score). In April of that year we notice Ireland go from Emerald to ugly Welsh Brown. Apparently Queen Maud Maddocks of Wales decided Ireland was all hers and conquered it. I guess that's really a wash seeing Ireland gobbled up by a nation we built our very first turn.

In November we occupy Hamburg and force the Chief of Holstein to surrender.

2014-03-22_00112_zps888de423.jpg

Taking Holstein also gives us the added benefit of controlling over half of de jure Denmark. Which means we will be able to start pondering the pros and cons of independence from Sweden, so that we can form the Kingdom of Denmark. If I hadn't of conquered the last King of Denmark's one last stronghold on the island of Bornholm, and let him survive, I could have just simply usurped the title right here and right now. But oh well, an independence war will be entertaining I think...

Well eventually.

In February of 1154, a Swedish Duke sends us a message that he isn't very happy with us Danes.

2014-03-22_00115_zps9ebfcfe8.jpg

I let him know he can shove that BS back where the sun doesn't shine. And he responds by saying its time for war.

2014-03-22_00117_zps47cb48fc.jpg

I think we can handle this war, but then again who knows. As many twists and turns and goal recalibration this round has had, one really can't be too sure as to what may lay ahead for our warrior Queen.

King Aedan de Wexford "the Young" is overthrown in favor of King Edouarzh Bonifazi. I'm pretty disappointed all that hard work in Ireland has been undone this quickly, the AI has been rather silly over on that island after we left.
<Insert offensive stereotype of drunken Irish fighting other drunken Irish>

2014-03-22_00089_zps13196a78.jpg

King Herri "the Bewitched" de St. Davids, the Breton King of Cyprus, these Bretons have sure gotten around in this game!

Props (do people still say 'Props'? Probably not, if I'm using it...) to the game for giving satanically posessed Witch-King Herri a fitting villainous pointy beard. :)

So, Gudrun has grown into a frigid man-hater who can make people jump off roofs with her stare. She is married to a craven homosexual. Awesome! Who's your heir right now? Do you even have an heir? Because I have a pretty strong feeling that this union is not going to be fruitful in the offspring department. ;)

Good update. Gudrun is definitely starting to remind a bit of Margaery Tyrell and her short lived marriage to Renley. Hopefully our Hungarian prince doesn't meet the same fate.....

Yeah, Kentucky definitely had a great run. Its a shame they lost last night, but when all that talent finally put it all together it was just magnificent to watch. I actually was at a wedding in Dallas this weekend, so I was able to observe all the final four festivities up close and personal. The one thing that stood out to me was just how many Kentucky fans actually managed to make it to Dallas; literally, everywhere we went in a city of several million there was somebody there in Kentucky blue.

Oh and I went to Baylor for undergraduate work. We managed to turn it around and upset Creighton and send Doug McDermott home a little early. The Wisconsin game was rough, but I was happy that we had a nice run to end the season.

The one thing that stood out to me was just how many Kentucky fans actually managed to make it to Dallas; literally, everywhere we went in a city of several million there was somebody there in Kentucky blue.

Well, it is closer than Connecticut, and the entire population of the state are 'Cats fans ("what's a Louiville?").

But yeah they travel, and it was an awesome run.

Well, it is closer than Connecticut, and the entire population of the state are 'Cats fans ("what's a Louiville?").

But yeah they travel, and it was an awesome run.

Most definitely. There were a solid number of Wisconsin and Connecticut fans around as well.

It just seems to me that Kentucky has always had the ability to attract a large number of basketball fans that have no association with either the school nor the state, in much the same way that people become fans of Alabama in college football or the Yankees in major league baseball.

They're the biggest brand. Once you match that with a prolific history and being located in a state that is crazy for college basketball, you come up with a recipe to have huge numbers of fans present no matter where you play.

Wow that was one heck of a tangent. Anyways, it was an especially fun tournament this year and waiting here with bated breath for another update Tnick.

@Stuyvesant: Yeah some of us older peoples still utter the word "props" or at least I hear it from time to time :) Anyway Gudrun is a bit of a manhater due to her homosexual hubby, and speaking of which her heir is like on of her aunts or something.

@ScribleScrable: Well I think it wouldn't be all that bad of a thing if Prince Adam were to get slain by some mysterious shade. In fact that would probably help us create an heir.

Oh yeah Baylor did make a good run, that upset against Creighton made Warren Buffet said. Lol...but anyway there for a minute I thought maybe your alma mater may have been Tennessee, because they had an amazing run as well.

@verdas & ScribleScrable: It was definitely a hell of a tournament, but I think as far as a lot of Kentucky fans its because their such a storied school in NCAA basketball. People enjoy jumping upon the bandwagon. I remember when I was younger that whenever March began people used to throw on the Duke Jerseys lol.

I actually started to root for UConn before the game started, mostly just because I wanted to see Napier win another one before marching off to the NBA to hopefully become a PG for LA. But anyways it was a great tournament, and this has been an odd tangent, but conversations like this on the thread doesn't bother me, me Densley and A_Dane used to get into odd convos on my Welf AAR so lol.

Anyways next update should be up tonight sometime I think.

Part 7.7 - Prussia

Part 7.7 - Prussia

Sorry for not updating on a regular basis, on this round, Gudrun just annoys me quite a bit for some reason. Probably because she has a heart of ice that makes men turn tail and run, or maybe its just that this run is quickly proving to be well...anything but successful. Kind of like banging my head up against a brick wall, and not getting anywhere. I suppose that's the joy of the game though. Needless to say I fear I won't accomplish any of our goals here.

And I completely blame Gudrun and not my own abilities for this shortcoming.

But onwards and upwards I suppose. Where were we anyway? Oh yeah that damn plot war from those Swedish guys that would one day make a game about throwing innocent children from the ramparts and smothering dear old grandpa with a pillow just to inherit his riches. Not too mention the ancestors of my current employers so I should probably be nice to the dear old Swedes.

And thus we begin.

(I have had a little to drink tonight, so if I digress or meander my apologies)

In July the first battle is won at Hedeby (+24), I think about chasing the remainder of that army down, but see a second stack from some other Swede setting up camp outside of Gudrun's house, and head back to the home-front to rescue our Ice Queen. The Battle of Ringsted begins, and we win that one too (+51). I then occupy Svendborg (+59) and find that stack of the remaining 300 (plus some stragglers) and give chase. You know because "All men must die". We slaughter them to the last man (+79).

I then march back to Sweden proper and start killing more Swedes up there. This time mostly villagers and such, you know the innocents that always get screwed when the nobles decide to get pissy with one another.

While we're trying to occupy another holding, I discover Ireland has gone from Welsh brown to French Blue. What???...

I go and look and sure enough King Bernard "the Ill-Ruler" Karling of France has decided he wants a taste of Irish ale. At least the de Wexfords still hold Alba I suppose.

Back to killing things though...

November 27, 1155 rolls around and we take control of Nasborg (+100). Here's the screenshots of those things.

2014-03-23_00002_zpsdb3db711.jpg

So that war is over and Duke Torsten III Ulfing of Ostergotland get's to visit our Ice Queen's dungeons. I have no desire to ever let him out either. Unless of course we need a quick influx of gold.

1156 opens with a bang. Count Harald Porse, the son of former and late Duke Helgi, descendant of those that sacrificed our grandma and raped our sister, well he decides he doesn't want to go to jail for being a disloyal vassal. Therefore just a month after the end of our last war a new war begins.

2014-03-23_00010_zps148c7043.jpg

A month passes and some sweet monks pay a visit in an attempt to thaw our Ice Queen's frigid heart. But all they do is give Gudrun some piety and new-found knowledge of the world. Which will probably spark an across the world adventure in ten years...

maybe...

In mid-March we fight Harald's whopping army of 350 men. We slaughter some and let the other 120 run a way, because we want to play cat and mouse for a little while. A month later we catch our mouse and gobble him up sending the 120 men to the grave as well.

In June, Duke Torsten III decides he has had enough. He wants freedom! And he swears he will never treat another Dane so horribly as he did Gudrun. But he's speaking to the Ice Queen and mercy is not something she enjoys. So off to the oubliette, so the old man can rot and die.

2014-03-23_00014_zpsef87ea0f.jpg

In September we find out Sultan AQ has regained the throne of Leon, which is a head scratcher because I hadn't known he'd lost it! Oh well at least he found it again.

A couple months later a mysterious ailment happens to Gudrun. She notices she no longer bleeds and has become a bit more moody than usually. She's even threatened to cut a certain appendage off of her loving homosexual hubby if he continues to play in the stable all hours of the day.

In February of 1157, we win the siege of Jelling (+16), I feel like I've occupied that place way too many times in this round. Around that time Gudrun realizes with horror that her belly is swelling. She's obviously pregnant, but how? Her and Adam have never consummated their marriage, and I dare say she hasn't done the nasty with any other men.

So its obviously baby Jesus in her tummy.

In June she gives birth. Unfortunately it isn't baby Jesus, but rather Maria.

2014-03-23_00020_zps2114108f.jpg

As one would expect Gudrun doesn't take labor well, and her daughter baby Maria doesn't either. Mother and daughter are both ill, and the way things are going it'd just about be the icing on the Ice Queen's cake if they both fall over dead on the same day.

But the RNG is not that kind. It wants me to take the Ice Queen places. So it allows Gudrun to get better, even though it would take several months.

While Gudrun is laying in bed trying to figure out how on Earth she got knocked up, her forces capture Horsens (+20), a few weeks later she recovers and figures Maria is really the daughter of one of those traveling monks she had spoken to.

In October we occupy Randers (+29)...why is war-score not increasing much? Hmmm...three weeks later Arhus falls (+32). In December Viborg follows suit (+40).

Another Count then realizes that a new year is about to dawn, and decides to do the time honored treason celebration. He decides he wants Sjaelland all for himself. Luckily this Count named Sune of the isle of Fyn doesn't escape, but goes to join Torsten in our dungeon.

2014-03-23_00028_zpsca7f783a.jpg

We then win the siege of Skagen (+37). At this point I'm wondering what we have to do to win this war, but then the war-score begins to tick up as we go kill some of his allies, eventually by the summer of 1157, we hit +69 and Harald decides he'd like room and board with Sume and Torsten as well.

2014-03-23_00032_zpsdcb74734.jpg

I look at my options on what I should do to Harald. I'm rather sick of his family, they've been nothing but a complete and total pain in my rear end. Raping family members, sacrificing them, constant wars with me. I could simply revoke their lands and be done with it. But they'd still hold a damn barony. Banishment. That's the answer. So I click the banishment button not caring what the malus consequences are, sometimes you just have to eat those negatives to get a positive.

Plus, Harald is kind enough to leave us with 127 gold as he is evicted from our dungeon and sent packing to some remote location in northern Sweden. Pretty thoughtful of the guy.

A second after kicking Harald out of Prussia, some other Swede decides its high time to pick on the Ice Queen.

2014-03-23_00033_zps1a2116c2.jpg

I thought swearing fealty would be useful. Get some time to relax, expand, build, and then strike! But nope, no such luck, we are in a state of constant war with our fellow members of the Swedish nobility.

The sad thing is our men our being depleted not having any time to regroup in between wars. Which means we can pretty much strike further incursions into Lithuania off our to-do list. Seems we will be stuck swatting away Swedish Nobles that circle like vultures.

I also send Adam packing...kind of anyway. I give him Count Harald's old lands. I mean he isn't being productive anyway, so might as well give him his own land so he can hire all the cute local boys to harass and abuse without causing a scene at our court.

In December we fight our first battle of the war and win (+13), we then scour the lands for some more Swedes to massacre and find some to kill at Dalby (+31).
2014-04-07_00002_zpscc3e6495.jpg

Its now February 28, 1159, and our enemy bless his old feeble heart decides to kick the bucket.

2014-04-07_00005_zpsbd8563ae.jpg

Quite the anti-climatic end to that war. I guess that's a lesson to never start a faction war if you're old and the docs have given you a few months to live.

This allows us to take a brief timeout though and show you our demesne so far. Finally remembered to get a good screenshot of it!

2014-04-07_00008_zpsb244419e.jpg

I don't know why but seeing Denmark called Prussia makes me smile.

I begin to wonder at that point about these faction wars. It isn't because I'm super powerful by any means. But I suspect its because I hold three ducal titles and other dukes are jealous and want a piece of the pie. Curious I decide to destroy the Duchy of Jylland.

2014-04-07_00011_zpsad2f47f4.jpg

No need to worry about the vassal relation malus as Adam is count over there and our worthless husband will be pleased if we send him a new stable-boy or even better yet a new squire!

At this point I decide to run the plot to revoke the County of Fyn, because the Count of Fyn who is currently a resident of our dungeon didn't rebel against me and I don't want to rack up anymore malus so I try to plot against him. I get enough support, more than enough and when I go to hit the execute button I'm told that you can't plot to revoke a title from someone who is your prisoner.

Makes sense, I suppose.

So I ransom him, for around 70ish gold. Before he is even out of the gates of Ringsted our Ice Queen catches up to him and informs him she has many followers and wishes him to surrender his title and lands to her.

I can imagine his face right now, after paying for his freedom and all of a sudden getting slapped like that. Very dishonorable, and in a way quite gamey.

But Count Sume he isn't a chicken, he flips the bird to the Ice Queen and raises an army instead.

2014-04-07_00019_zpsbf7817bb.jpg

Curious to see if I can cheat Count Sume again, not that I need to as he would be easily crushed, I'm just tired of war at this point. I go to the title screen of Sjaelland and click on "DESTROY".

It actually allows me to destroy that title too, which weirdly enough ends our war with him. I wasn't sure if it would have this effect. I wanted to see though. I guess you can only have a revokation plot against a de jure vassal? And since he's no longer de jure we have no reason for a war.

But what good was all that? I go to his screen again and arrest Count Sume...why? Because he's a traitor for denying the Ice Queen's right to revoke his title in the first place. And now that he's in prison, I can revoke his title freely because he raised troops against me and is therefore a traitor.

2014-04-07_00038_zps3abe87f9.jpg

Poor Count Sume I kind of feel sorry for the guy. I do feel that what I did was a convoluted exploit. Definitely a lot of clicking involved to make that happen. But it did give me a tiny bit of joy being able to accomplish what I wanted without a war.

The rest of 1160 amazingly enough passes without anything even happening. Gudrun the Ice Queen can finally rest and watch over her protege and future Ice Queen Maria.

While I marvel at the idea of peace for Gudrun, I realize I have failed to take a screenshot of the pretty blue of Cyprus.

2014-04-07_00042_zps4ebbb880.jpg

I spend the next couple of years trying to make people join my faction for independence. My Spymaster who I just realized is the Ice Queen's husband Adam has gotten two nobles to pledge to the cause. Or at least that's what his message said. The Faction screen still says we're all on our lonesome though. I suppose that's a bug.

By 1164, I know three years disappeared just like that, King Odd of Sweden decides to inform me he doesn't appreciate our faction and that we should kindly cease and desist. I agree, not like it was going to go anywhere anyway. We do have the money, but if I do declare independence and go on my own I'd spend most of it on mercs which would mean I'd still be unable to form Denmark anyway. So scratch the Danish Kingdom of Denmark of the to-do list as well.

Another year goes by and I start getting bored, maybe I should declare independence and see what happens...

Which is when the Pope hears the Ice Queen's prayers, and calls a Crusade for Sicily.

2014-04-07_00089_zps206d56a1.jpg

Sure let's do that! Not a problem, ole papa Sixtus!

And so the Danish adventure to Sicily begins.

Crusade!!!

Uh oh. Never go in against a Sicilian with death on the line!

Or so I hear.

Anyways, that may be the most beautiful Greece I have ever seen. I love it when Greece splinters, but I've seen it split up so thoroughly. I hope the city states can manage to stay afloat.

My Spymaster who I just realized is the Ice Queen's husband Adam has gotten two nobles to pledge to the cause. Or at least that's what his message said. The Faction screen still says we're all on our lonesome though. I suppose that's a bug.

It could be a bug, or it could be that the Ice Queen and Spymaster Adam have very different ideas of what "converting people to the cause" means. Maybe Adam is getting tired of the stable boys? ;)

I actually considered Gudrun's treatment of Sume to be entirely in character: she's like a cat toying with a mouse: let him go, slap him down, let him go, slap him down. Etc. and so forth until the cat gets bored and the mouse gets gored. :)

Now let's go off on a vacation cruise to sunny Sicily! This might be just the thing that Gudrun needs: the warm sun, friendly locals, wine, a chance encounter with a smouldering Italian... Perhaps the Sicilian sun can melt the Ice Queen's heart. That, or else there's always the horrific warfare and senseless slaughter to occupy her time. ;)

Part 7.8 - Prussia

@ScribleScrable: Yes indeed, Crusading!!! Lol...I do love the way Greece looks as well. If only the HRE and Italy could break up as prettily...

@LordEnglish: It could go Breton, but for some reason I haven't seen the Karlings do any crusading. They're quite the diverse family though, Bretons, Bedouins, and Franks, think there's even more cultural variety amongst that dynasty but can't remember.

@Hiryuu: Yes indeed! Maybe the Ice Queen needs to work on her tan?

@Stuyvesant: I think you're right about the Ice Queen and Adam having different ideas on what "converting to the cause" means. Adam is probably looking to have some noble toys instead of the usual run of the mill peasant. Well if the Ice Queen was indeed the cat she definitely got bored and finally had her mouse for dinner!

And yes off for a sunny vacation to Sicily! I don't think she'll be having her heart thawed though, I actually think it'll be more along the lines of "Winter is Coming" (not to steal another line from GoT...But if its the only way to grab more land and a possible kingdom title might as well shoot for it!

~~~~~
Part 7.8 - Prussia

Time to buy a swimsuit, and sunscreen because the Ice Queen is on her way for Spring Vacation, in balmy Sicily!

Well, I shouldn't be cheering CKII does have a tendency to slap me for setting foot in Sicily. In another AAR (the Welfs) I had a King pick up the Great Pox down there due to shagging the locals. Luckily for us we have the Ice Queen at the helm and she isn't down with the shagging nonsense. Her hubby Adam on the other hand...well...

We also decide to hire two Holy Orders, because hey why not!

And in a moment of martial brilliance I decide to be cheap and instead of sending our newly minted 15K stack of Christian Icy Doom off on the boats, we say lets march through central Europe and see the sites along the way.

2014-04-07_00091_zps10ce500d.jpg

As you can see the CID is heading through what has become multi-colored Germany. The lands we're in are well Anglo-Saxon Saxony, bordered by chaotic always rebelling Pomerania, as well as cancerous purple blotches of Karling ruled Brittany. Apparently Brittany got sick of being a part of the Big Grey Blob and said deuces! And what makes that even better is they're fully independent, not just rebelling.

Later I will show why the Holy Bretonian Emperor has decided NOT to retake Brittany.

Eight months later we arrive in Italy and begin plotting our first couple of moves.

We fight off a few small stacks that number a total of 900, and move on into start laying siege, which is what the Pope and the rest of the Christians are doing as well.

This goes on for the first six months of 1167, no real battles or action taking place as the Muslim world is still mustering its forces to send to defend Sicily.

In June we finish occupying a settlement. When we're notified that Pope Sixtus IV "the Monk" has died and is replaced by Pope Pius II, who just so happens to be in his 70s infirm and ill. So I highly doubt our new Pope will last long.

At this point the Caliph of the Shias decide its a perfect time to strike.

2014-04-08_00008_zpsee287300.jpg

This isn't exactly the best idea the Shia Caliphate has had. But I suppose it could potentially work in their favor. Although, I don't think their target is well-advised.

The Ice Queen then sees a big fat stack of Muslim soldiers entering the playing field. 20,000 strong, which should have outnumbered her, but as she deployed her men off to chase, the Christian lords rallied around the Ice Queen to lend aid.

The Battle of Salerno would then take place.

2014-04-08_00010_zpsc6f8e5ba.jpg

Slaughter! Slaughter! Slaughter!

The Ice Queen wins a magnificent victory at a fraction of the cost to her own men. This makes the war-score jump dramatically as well. I went to check where we stand in contribution and sadly we're in second but quickly closing in on the Teutonic Order.

Between October and November we chase the retreating Muslims from Salerno, killing each man we catch.

2014-04-08_00014_zpse627e6e6.jpg

Some more time passes and another battle of Amalfi takes place that we win easily. After which the Ice Queen decides its high time to lay some more sieges.

We're neck and neck with the Teutons separated by only 4% but they're also laying siege and racking points up quickly. Not too mention that the war-score is shooting up towards the 90s now.

By October of 1168 we capture Sollento, giving the Catholics 100 war-score and a chance for Pope Pius to reclaim Sicily.

2014-04-08_00021_zps9eaa3db3.jpg

And the winner is....

2014-04-08_00023_zps16d928fa.jpg

Figures.

The TO wins again. We were soo close too. If only the Crusade could have lasted another couple months. Instead another man blocks the way to greatness for the Ice Queen.

So we return to frigid Denmark so Gudrun can chill her heart once more. In celebration however King Odd invites her to a feast. He's probably just happy that his vassal didn't accidentally get lost in Sicily and get crowned a Queen by that Pope guy.

Disappointed that we've not accomplished anything I go and check in on the Witch-King Herri of Cyprus.

2014-04-08_00027_zps79e620d0.jpg

Those maluses! When we last checked on him he had quite a few, but now, he's just shooting for all time bad-ass.

I mean who else can be Greedy yet Kind, a Glutton and a Gardner, (is that eye one paranoid?), Wrothful and Stressed, Possessed yet Depressed, and to kick it all off a...

...Leper!

He would have made a perfect character to center a mini-narrative AAR around.

I can't help but wish the Ice Queen possessed some of those traits.

As I watch the game clock slowly click towards 1170 meaning our time with the Ice Queen is almost over, I get sad that we accomplished pretty much nothing here. Besides make Sweden even more powerful (oopsies!).

But CKII decides to offer us one parting goodbye to sweet icy hearted Gudrun.

2014-04-08_00029_zps56b72099.jpg

I can see this conversation right now, almost like I could picture her yanking Sume's chain in the previous update.

"What do you mean you aren't feeling ambitious?"

"I'm locked in your dungeon, oh fearful Ice Queen."

"Well chin up, lad, you can at least strive towards being the bestest prisoner ever!"

"#$%! that!"

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing..."

The Ice Queen angry with her Muslim prisoner's lack of drive, decides to fix the problem once and for all.

2014-04-08_00032_zpse61b7bf2.jpg

Surely no one could have expected less of a response from the Ice Queen.

~~~~~​

So we now leave the realm of Gudrun af Bornholm, thankful I can quit beating my head against the proverbial brick wall. In hopes of a better day, or at least a slightly softer wall.

Here are the lands we left, they actually are pretty much the exact same lands we had the last direct vassal map.

2014-04-08_00035_zpsd365a9e4.jpg

Now to take a gander at the monster we helped make more powerful in Scandinavia.

2014-04-08_00036_zps59582989.jpg

Not a whole lot to say about that, except that Sweden is definitely the main power. And Suomi may be on the menu in the near future. One thing I do like though is that Trondelag may accidentally form a Norse Norway. Why they haven't created the Kingdom title yet I don't know, but I think they meet the land requirements so that very well may happen soon...unless of course Sweden decides to gobble it up first.

2014-04-08_00038_zps04b05636.jpg

The Steppes still boast of large dominant pagan realms. Perm and Rus leading the way. Volga Bulgaria at one point a mere OPM has somehow managed to recover from decades of near annihilation and is starting to rise once more.

2014-04-08_00039_zpsf731aafd.jpg

The Hussayn Caliphate of the Shia has all but disappeared under the martial might of the Nuraddin Sunni Caliphate (whom just got spanked in a Crusade). Not much else to note, besides the fact that Persia has turned into a messy conglomerate of emirs and such that will probably be swallowed like an appetizer in 60 years when the Ilkhanate makes its appearance in the area.

Speaking of which, if and when the Horde does magically appear, things aren't looking good. In fact, I dare say there is a high likely hood we'll see the Ilkhan mow a path of destruction all the way to Munich.

2014-04-08_00040_zpsacbf19b7.jpg

This Nubia is quickly becoming something I'm enjoying to watch as well. They're Muslim though, which kind of sucks, would have been better if they were like Miaphysite or something. But regardless, Muslim Nubia is quickly turning into a power that very well may shake the rest of the Muslim world up.

There are two counties in Egypt however that are now controlled by the splintered and odd Byzantine Empire (Serb-Croats and a few Greeks). How the weakened Byzzies captured that I don't know. But if they were to take the rest of Egypt and abandon Greece altogether that would be rather fun to watch.

2014-04-08_00041_zps70f56633.jpg

There's the rest of Africa. As we all know our pride and joy, the Shaiban Sultanate. They're expanding North, and East, and mopping up Songhai in the South. If they could go to the West they probably would do that as well. Under Sultan AQ the Shaibans have been unstoppable. And yes, AQ has survived this entire urn in Denmark!

2014-04-08_00043_zpsbc357ffc.jpg

Most of Western Europe. Not much has really changed besides AQ taking over his slices of Iberia. He may even go for Castille next. France and Aquitaine are still ugly messes. And as mentioned earlier independent Brittany is creating a wonderful splattering of purple across the HRE.

If the Grey Blob continues to splinter the Ilk and GH may just have a perfect pathway towards a WC.

2014-04-08_00044_zpsb1c3d69d.jpg

The Isles, again not a whole lot happening. Well besides what I had mentioned an update or two ago of France taking Ireland. All of a sudden the Green and Brown and Red hues of the Isles and turned all blue. France's presence in Ireland may ensure that England never becomes an Empire, and could even spell its own doom eventually. But, we will see how that plays out, France may not even hold Ireland proper very long.

2014-04-08_00045_zps58c99cda.jpg

Another close up view of wonderfully beautiful Greece. That place is a mess, and I'm praying the HRE heads that direction as well.

So here are two sheets from the Ledgers, the top 10 in Religion and Army size:

2014-04-08_00051_zps23e3b544.jpg

In the yellow boxes are places or religions I've played as. I don't really take credit for the current Arabian Empire's strength, but its nice seeing that we've been successful. Especially with the Shaiban Sultanate.

So the only two countries in the Top 10 Armies, that I'm surprised to see are Brittany and Volga Bulgaria. Two nations I never see ranked that high, like ever, and they've been completely controlled by the AI at this point.

Now, off the bubble and right on Volga Bulgaria's haunches are:

11. Knights of Santiago
12. Syria
13. Alba
14. Byzantine Empire

And in 17th is the odd country of Galilee. Jesus would be proud.

That concludes this turn and therefore this update.

I usually tell you all where we are going next. But this time you shall have to wait in suspense. As the RNG kept wanting to send me to Ireland or Mauretania, so I overruled those four consecutive rolls and told CKII its getting a time-out for being aggravating. Apparently it wants me to either rebuild Irish Ireland or destroy the beautiful and all-powerful Shaiban.

So when I get a moment I'll re-roll and see where we go, and play enough to put up the new update of Part 8.0 - ???????

Oh and just to let you all know, this is our next place we will be visiting.

2014-04-18_00002_zpsf8816c1a.jpg

The emir of Yemen, Muhammad III Idrisid, should be fun...maybe...making a return to Arabia though so that might be a bit old.