• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless My Rt. Hon. Friend has a habit of describing himself as a noteworthy event, then yes, I imagine so. :p
((Bah, a Pole using hard enough words to confuse an Estonian. What a mess.
Also, Poll-Pole, next time I'll add the glasses. Or SPECTACLES.
Or I'll give you a t-shirt with the word "Spectacle" on it.))

*Caesaropope dom Contravarius has a habit of describing himself as a noteworthy event*

Last edited:
Could I also draw people's attention to the revised Rolls of Parliament, now updated to include those recently sworn in to the Privy Counsel (or at least, those who have declared seats.)? :)

Anyway, now that the liberals have a majority, let's hope for a reign of terror, violence and needless deaths!
Ergh, I mean peace, tolerance and freedom! Hooray!

Sigh.... A Golden Shower for Britain.

Let us hope the Liberals leave something for us to work with by the time of the next election.

The Red Dame of Great (The Greatest?) Grimsby suggests that the next Liberal Party meeting be held in a phone box. Compulsory attendance for all Liberal MP's :p
Edit: Also, byootiful picture, Caesaropope Contravarius.

Last edited:
I've just completed a map that will be included in the next update detailing the following features around the world:
Areas of UK without devolved assemblies
Areas with them
Colonies and protectorates under direct rule
Colonies and protectorates under home rule
Commonwealth Realms (countries with the Queen as their monarch)
Commonwealth Realms with major permanent British military bases
Commonwealth Members without the Queen as their HoS
Non-Commonwealth States under heavy British influence

Hopefully it will clear up some of the confusion relating to British territories and influence abroad.

This sounds really, really excellent.

Well, I for one like this idea, You filthy feminist, I really do. Surprisingly, You have been speaking my language throughout this whole evening.

I am actually quite surprised. Unless you were thinking of deploying threats or the army, a union sounds far too... voluntary for your tastes.

No, that's not devolution at all. Devolution is where specific powers are devolved to an assembly of some sort, while central government retains management of most internal affairs. A federation is where essentially independent states share a central government but manage their own internal policy. :)

The fundamental difference between devolution and federalism is that federalism involves explicit distinctions between the roles of the national government and state government with power being given from the states to the national government which the states, in theory have the power to take away again. Devolution, on the other hand, involves power being given from the national government to state governments but which the national government has the power to take away again whenever it feels like it.

I agree with the premise that the distinction fundamentally is between whether the powers are given to the local entities from the central government, or to the central government from the states. However, I'm not sure if what the two of you present is a true dichotomy. I think we should separate between the process of federation and devolution on one hand, and the difference between a federation and a devolved state on the other. For the latter you hint at three different criteria:

- The powers of the states and the national government is discrete or not discrete. (Which really ought to have two dimensions: whether certain powers are reserved to just one level, e.g. minting and foreign affairs, and whether the different levels must be authorised to expand their powers into the non-reserved areas)

- Whether the levels and/or their powers is entrenched in a constitution, so that it cannot easily be removed.

- Which level of government has the power to make changes to the position between them.

These criteria surely create a spectrum of different arrangements. One country might choose to have a constitution that places very strict limits on what the federal government can do, whilst at the same time leaving it up to a federal parliament to make changes to the constitution. Another might give local entities only strictly defined powers, but leave changing the constitution to the local entities alone. A third might only reserve powers to the national government, require the consent of both local and central powers to change the constitution and also include a right for the local entities to secede.

The process of creating local assemblies in Britain would surely be by devolution, but whether the country will become what we might describe as a federation or a devolved unitary state will surely depend on how devolution is done. In the case of Britain, I imagine it would especially depend on whether the Liberals choose to abandon the concept of parliamentary sovereignty and adopt an entrenched (and written) constitution.

Great job Contra, hopefully my over activity earlier in the AAR means that I can ride out not being that active once and awhile.

Also how did I end up on the privy council? I can see myself entering the council blooter'd, ranting incoherently (or coherently, no one here can tell the difference) then swagger off.

I've just completed a map that will be included in the next update detailing the following features around the world:
Areas of UK without devolved assemblies
Areas with them
Colonies and protectorates under direct rule
Colonies and protectorates under home rule
Commonwealth Realms (countries with the Queen as their monarch)
Commonwealth Realms with major permanent British military bases
Commonwealth Members without the Queen as their HoS
Non-Commonwealth States under heavy British influence

Hopefully it will clear up some of the confusion relating to British territories and influence abroad.

That sounds bloody lovely Tommy. Looking forward to it.

Also I find the fact the Liberal Party is morphing into a Gaitskellite coalition both funny and realistic. The Lib-Labism of Henry Campbell-Bannerman (the criminally forgotten leader of the 1905 Liberal landslide) is alive and well!

Could I also draw people's attention to the revised Rolls of Parliament, now updated to include those recently sworn in to the Privy Counsel (or at least, those who have declared seats.)? :)
The Hon. Rt. Mr. Andrzej isn't sure his titles are supposed to go in that order :p And, also, like Van5, an explanation of just what the Privy Counsel means could be nice to know :)

The Hon. Rt. Mr. Andrzej isn't sure his titles are supposed to go in that order :p And, also, like Van5, an explanation of just what the Privy Counsel means could be nice to know :)

The Privy Council is, officially, the highest body of the legislature to advise the monarch on how they as executive shall govern. In reality it is a place to send over the hill politicians and bureaucrats to get a bauble. The current real life members here are vast in number but as the quorum is 3, probably gives you an idea of how important and active Counsellors are.

Someday I will become one of the Rt. Honorable men. My Communist ramblings and hatred of the Western World will SKYROCKET me to the next portrait I just know it will...

Or into prison, one or the other.

The Privy Council is, officially, the highest body of the legislature to advise the monarch on how they as executive shall govern. In reality it is a place to send over the hill politicians and bureaucrats to get a bauble. The current real life members here are vast in number but as the quorum is 3, probably gives you an idea of how important and active Counsellors are.

We're all over the hill already?, we just got here :laugh:

Last edited:
Sigh.... A Golden Shower for Britain.

Let us hope the Liberals leave something for us to work with by the time of the next election.

((

*sings*

3. You can’t have a golden shower
Beneath a fragrant bower
In your English country garden

If you take it from behind
New Labour you will find
In your English country garden

Just remember that it’s easy
On Labour’s CCTV
To spy on your private places

But with Blunkett you’re alright