• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Last edited:
Basileus Luis II Angelos decided that the time has come for the Latins to officially recognize this.

Dfqm7vV.jpg

vX0ETsa.jpg

eWo1xbV.jpg

GLORY AND POWER TO THE AUGUSTUS EMPEROR OF BYZANTIUM AND ROME! :laugh:

I knew those savage barbarians were technologically advanced but now I have the image of an aztec nerd in mexico sitting in front of a pc from the 90s trying to hack the imperium stuck in my head

I'm totally drawing that.

THE CHRONICLE OF THE HOUSE ANGELOS
PART THREE
INTERLUDE

nM5x1v8.jpg

Markos II Angelos

Doux of Samos, Cibyrrhaeot, Thracesia and Anatolia

Born17 May 1167
Died – of Great Pox on 4 August 1210 at age 43

L2axlBF.jpg

Anticipation of greatness

Markos II Angelos, son of doux Markos I Angelos and basilissa Euphrasia Doukas, was one of the most influential Angeloi in the history of my House, although his importance doesn't stem from his accomplishments on the battlefield or mastery of diplomacy or intrigue. What was special about him was that he dedicated all of his energy to one goal – to prepare himself and his children for the ascension to power.

daEGk1Z.jpg

Being the first in line to inherit the Throne, Markos II spent much of his life on preparations. Through raising taxes and diligent administration he managed to save thousands of hyperpyrra which later proved very useful for his son. Obviously being the most powerful person in the whole Basileia Romaion just after basilissa herself he did use his troops frequently, but it was always only to help the Imperial Army either during its campaigns against barbarians or suppression of rebels. Many were also spreading obviously false rumors that allegedly he was the one responsible for many suspicious accidents which tend to happen to all of those aristoi who opposed the Throne. As a head of Great House Angelos he had many responsibilities but he excelled in one field in particular – education.

FxSX3S8.jpg

Doux Markos was a well-educated and curious man, not only with a great knowledge of literature and theology but also more sophisticated studies like cosmology or astronomy. Great works of Aristotle or Ptolemy about harmony of celestial spheres were his favorites and he spent a great amount of time not dedicated to serving the Empire to studying stars and Moon. But unlike many scholars he was also a man of great faith, a very humble but pious spirit. Being deeply religious he not only pilgrimed to Holy City of Hierusalem but also funded several monasteries and churches. It shouldn't surprise anyone that his son was raised to respect reason as a tool of philosophers but also as pious and dedicated Christian.

3kOO5jr.jpg

But as the years were passing without any worries in Angelid Palace in Smyrna the West was consumed by a terrible war between heretics. Papal supporters and followers of German kaiser were fighting against each other for a long time and it seemed that in the end German Cathars were going to be victorious. But then in 1206 bishop of Rome called by heretics pope Donus II called Crusade against Germans. Catholics knew what they were doing for Germans were suffering from a civil war against kaiserin Jaroslava, unpopular ruler of Polish origin. And so the war has began and it took tens of thousands of Christian lives before finally it was over – bishop of Rome won.

r4rSc5O.jpg

Using the help of the Magyar hordes who themselves baptized only because of the fear of the crusader's sword Catholics not only won but in 1208 effectively torn out a big chunk of German realm and made it a new independent kingdom. Never reconquered by Germans and to this day ruled by members of House Golovin, Aquitaine was only a first step in the terrible conflict. Catholic-Cathar wars were going to be waged for decades and even the arrival of the Aztecs didn't stop them. As a matter of fact, such devastating advances of the savages were possible among else because of the pathetic state of the Latins and lack of unity.

When Markos II Angelos was dying of terrible and unknown disease, he knew that if only he lived longer he would be the one to became basileus. But he was leaving this world without sadness, for he knew that his son was going to surpass him and build a legacy for House Angelos which was going to survive centuries.

But before I proceed to describe the live and deeds of the greatest member of House Angelos who was ever born, let me introduce you quickly to the devastation brought upon Basileia Romaion by the long rule of House Doukas. This long and disastrous period which began in 1059 and ended in 1227 covered 168 years. To understand for how long Doukid dynasty seized the Throne one has to remember that even the greatest Houses of the Empire reigned for much shorter period of time. Mighty House Constantinus - created by blessed Saint Constantinus the Great, founder of the Queen of Cities and builder of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, First of the Christian Emperors, the One who issued Edict of Milan and who convened the First Ecumenical Council of the Holy Church in Nicaea – ended its rule in 363, barely after 57 years. Glorious House Iustinianus, founded in 518 by Justin I, uncle of the great Justinian I, the Restorer of the Empire, was in control of the Throne until the year 602 – merely 84 years. And only glorious House Makedon ruled longer than Doukoi, for the House founded by Basileios I Makedon in 867 was ruling the Empire until year 1056, that is for 189 years.

However, before I start this short description of the long rule of House Doukas there is one who has to be mentioned, for it is because of his actions guided by Iesus Kristos that my House came into existence. This man is basileus Isaakios Komnenos.

Isaakios Komnenos

Basileus of Basileia Romaion

Born1 January 1007
Died – a natural death on 1 January 1061 at age 54
Reigned for2 years (1057-1059)

tK69WAs.jpg

First and the only basileus from House Komnenos was a great and virtuous man. After a momentous battle of Hades in 1057 against despised emperor Michael VI Stratiotikos he ascended to the Throne. It was him who, grateful for saving his life during the battle, honored Angelos the Messenger with a title of komes and gave him bandon of Chios and Lykia to govern. Being a capable commander and an inspiring leader he reformed the imperial government won the campaign against king Andrew I of Hungary and Pechenegs, enforcing peace in 1059. Alas, soon he became very ill. Narrowly avoiding being struck by a lightning during campaign against the barbarians, basileus Isaakios believed that God was displeased with him. And so, after his brother kouropalates Ioannes Komnenos declined his offer to become a co-emperor, he agreed to nominate president of the Senate Konstantinos Doukas as his successor. Basileus Isaakios abdicated the Throne in 1059 and retired to monastery as a monk and died 2 years later. One can't stop thinking how great would be his rule if only he decided to endure or if his brother Ioannes agreed to became his heir. Instead, the Throne was given to the Doukoi.

Konstantinos X Doukas

Born1 January 1006
Died – a natural death on 23 November 1070 at age 64
Reigned for11 years (1059-1070)

saRWook.jpg

First of the many Doukoi on the Throne. Although he was a president of the Senate he was more interested in theological debates than ruling the Empire. It was him who decided to replace many of the eastern themata with mercenaries and who neglected the repairs of the eastern fortifications. His ineffective rule and ill-judged decisions were a direct cause of terrible defeat during the disastrous battle of Manzikert against the barbaric Turks. He died before he could see the full effects of his policy.

Michael VII “the Wicked” Doukas

Born1 January 1050
Died – from complications of being blinded on 27 June 1109 at age 59
Reigned for3 years (1070-1073)

MdRQdJt.jpg

Probably the most hated of the Doukoi, Michael VII the Wicked was directly responsible for the catastrophe of Manzikert, although the fundaments for this disaster were laid by his father Konstantinos X. Despite superior numbers – over 50,000 Romaioi faced 30,000 Turks on 26th August 1071 – the Empire have lost. And a terrible defeat it was. Despite the bravery of professional tagmata troops, after the mercenaries fled and treacherous strategos Romanos Diogenes ignored his orders and instead of covering retreat of the basileus marched back to the camp, the battle turned into a slaughter. As the last remnant of the collapsing Roman army, loyal Varangian Guard tried to protect the emperor as long as it could but in the end – like most of the elite troops – Norsemen perished on the fields of Manzikert. The basileus himself was taken prisoner by the Turks and presented to leader of the barbarians named Alp Arslan. Sultan in a blasphemous act forced Michael VII to kiss the ground and placed his boot on the emperor's neck. As they say, allegedly Alp Arslan asked the emperor what would he do if he was the one who was victorious and had sultan as his prisoner. Basileus was to answer that he would kill him, for which leader of the barbarians replied: “My punishment is far heavier. I forgive you and set you free.”

Turkish invasion was over and Anatolia was lost. The authority of the Throne all time low, barbarians were raiding and killing within the imperial borders and tagmata was virtually destroyed – but it was only a beginning for Michael VII the Wicked. Soon a short but brutal civil war erupted during which he was overthrowned and just 2 years after disastrous Manzikert he was castrated, blinded and exiled from the City. Although he kept some of his titles, he was going to live another 36 years as an accursed and hated man, the one who brought disaster on whole Basileia Romaion.

Andronikos Doukas

Born1 January 1057
Died – comatose in bed on 1 November 1073 at age 16
Reigned for9 months (1073-1073)

CUhZQdt.jpg

Not much can be said about Andronikos Doukas. Used as a puppet by powerful factions to gain support sufficient to dethrone his brother basileus Michael VII the Wicked, he was emperor only in name. During his short reign Basileia Romaion was effectively ruled by imperial regent Michael Psellos. He died comatose in bed in the age of 16 and although many were saying that his death was not an accident, the rumor died quickly and soon the reign of his successor began.

Konstantios IV “the Great” Doukas

Born1 January 1060
Died – a maimed cripple on 16 May 1133 at age 73
Reigned for60 years (1073-1133)

U7ObigD.jpg

Porphyrogennetos Konstantios IV, son of Konstantinos X and brother of Michael VII the Wicked and Andronikos, had almost nothing in common with members of his close family. Unlike them he was ambitious and industrious man who was focused on the good of the realm and prosperity of the Empire. Additionally, he was a brilliant strategist which proved to be the crucial during long campaigns against the barbarians who were threatening the imperial borders. Although he started his rule as at the age of 13, he quickly became independent from his regent Michael Psellos.

It must be said that, unlike vast majority of Doukoi,he was a capable ruler. His reign not only ended what some call First Doukid Anarchy – that is the period of 1070-1073 – but also during sixty years of his rule he managed to reconquer many of the old provinces in the West. Latins were forced out of most of the Sicilian themata, Slavs were driven out from their petty realms of Croatia and Serbia and even vile Bulgars were finally dealt with. Even the Turkish advances in Asia were stopped and some of the Anatolian themata were reconquered, even despite frequent revolts and uprisings against the Throne which financed this military expeditions by harsh taxes. It shouldn't surprise anyone that whenever one can hear people saying good things about Doukid rule they mostly refer to 60 years of relative growth and stability during the reign of Konstantios IV. But even six good decades shouldn't make one forget about the rest 108 years – Konstatios successors fall short of his accomplishments.

Eudokia Doukas

Basilissa of Basileia Romaion

Born2 March 1114
Died – under suspicious circumstances on 26 November 1141 at age 27
Reigned for7 years (1133-1140)

Q0hfeAo.jpg

Porphyrogenneta Eudokia was a mediocre ruler at best, her greatest achievement being preserving Basileia Romaion in the state which she found the realm after death of her father. Being the only child of Konstantios IV, despite him living past the age of 70, she had to face rising opposition against the rule of House Doukas. Great Houses of the Empire, among them House Phokas, House Skleros and House Komnenos, were waging a secret war to gain influence on the young basilissa. Acknowledging this, she was quick to marry her distant cousin hoping that this would help her survive – a woman on the Throne usually needed some kind of a champion, be it her husband or powerful strategos, who could act as her ally. I'm not the one to judge whether I, Martha Angelos, have fulfilled all the duties of the basilissa. I must said however that I don't find anything worth attention or praise in the person of basilissa Eudokia who, like so many before her including Zoe and Theodora Makedon, was mainly concerned about staying in power. That obviously effectively made it impossible to take care of all matters of the realm - but at least she wasn't as ruthless as basilissa Irene of Athens. Personally I find most interesting the live of basilissa Theodora, wife of Iustinianus the Great. Eudokia Doukas in the end proved to be not skilled enough in court intrigues – she was dethroned in 1140 and one year later was found dead in her own bathroom with throat cut open.

Philaretos “the Great” Doukas

Born30 March 1093
Died – in battle against sultan Tutus Seljuk on 24 February 1158 at age 65
Reigned for18 years (1140-1158)

QIhUOyj.jpg

Philaretos Doukas was the second and the last of so-called “great Doukoi”. Unlike his grandparent Konstantinos X but very much like his uncle Konstantios IV he was a man of ambition, what he proved leading the rebellion against basilissa Eudokia. Although courageous he never left the City after his coronation preferring to rule from the Great Palace and only once led his soldiers to battle against the barbarians. Being a skilled administrator he managed to recover Basileia Romaion from a deep financial crisis it was found in after his ascension to the Throne. Treasury, mismanaged for years by basilissa Eudokia, quickly recovered thanks to his tax reforms and although corruption was still a great problem and many of the members of House Doukas were living in luxury at the expanse of the state, increased income allowed to recruit more mercenaries. With their help the Empire was able to expand, not only reconquering whole Anatolia and even subjugating Caucasus, but also finally eradicating Norman presence in Sicily. Although he greatly strengthened Basileia Romaion, his constant conquests left the Empire almost bankrupt when he died leading eastern armies against sultan Tutus Seljuk who was determined to once again bring all of Armenia under infidel rule. It must be said however that basileus Philaretos achieved a lot during his almost 20 year long reign, especially when one compares with his achievements the deeds of his children. For he is sometimes being called Father of Emperors not without a reason – four of his children were to find themselves in control of the Throne, including basilissa Euphrasia, who's role in the ascension of my House was more than crucial. But more about this later.

Gregoras Doukas

Born21 June 1142
Died – in battle against doux Polykarpos of Rascia on 22 August 1173 at age 31
Reigned for5 years (1158-1163)

hpBbNns.jpg

The twilight of the Doukid power began with basileus Gregora, whose greatest achievement during his short reign was to stay in power. Not for long however – although he was a porphyrogennetos, the ambition of his older brother Ioustinianos was so great that in just 2 years after the beginning of his reign a powerful rebellion rose against the Throne. After three years of bloody civil war against despised Gregoras – a cruel, greedy and slothful man who cared only about constant feasts in the Great Palace and little more – has ended with him being deposed. His brother showed mercy however and not only set him free but allowed him to keep some of his titles and land. Despised Gregoras died years later, in a pointless border conflict with another doux.

Ioustinianos III Doukas

Born1 March 1116
Died – in battle against Aziz Azizid on 30 June 1172 at age 56
Reigned for9 years (1163-1172)

BN53sYi.jpg

The oldest son of basileus Philaretos, although Iustinianos III did manage to seize the Throne by this very act he doomed Basileia Romaion for what was about later called as Second Doukid Anarchy. By deposing his own brother and porphyrogennetos he broke the old and ancient rules regarding the imperial succession. Not only that but he showed everyone that even among the Doukoi there is enough hatred and jealousy that finding aristoi who were willing to support claimant wasn't hard. Seizing the Throne not by right but by pure force his reign was troubled one and to stay in power he was forced to not only greatly reward his supporters but also rule with an iron hand for there were many ambitious Doukoi. He did manage to suppress all revolts against him but the price for this was high – he was forced to execute several of his relatives, a terrible sin in the eyes of God. During his reign Basileia Romaion was slowly getting weaker while the power of the infidels grew and it was during a battle with Shia while basileus Philaretos was slained by the founder of the powerful Azizid dynasty. With his death the Empire entered the long and disastrous period of the Second Anarchy.

Polykarpos Doukas

Born25 September 1159
Died – murdered on the orders of doux Gabriel of Croatia on 9 December 1172 at age 13
Reigned for6 months (1172-1172)

JBycj5l.jpg

The only son of Philaretos, basileus Polykarops was only 13 when his father died. The child had no chance against his scheming and ambitious kin and after only 6 months of his rule he was brutally murdered.

Now there was a disgusting rumor that allegedly it was Markos I Angelos who was a figure behind tragic death of young basileus. Such accusations are obviously nothing more but lies and I already debunked them earlier in this chronicle. What was important during these days was that the Second Doukid Anarchy broke out the moment the father of basileus Polykarops died. Even before his terrible death young ruler had to face several powerful revolts, one of which succeeded shortly after the assassination.

Berta von Jülich

Born22 April 1172
Died – in the dungeons of basilissa Euphrasia on 20 March 1217 at age 45
Reigned for4 months (1172-1173)

kl1c6b6.jpg

How could it come to this that a Latin woman became a ruler of Basileia Romaion? To this day a lot of details concerning her ascension to power and short rule are shrouded in secret. What is known is that she was nothing more than a puppet used to undermine the position of the House Doukas – but by whom and why it's not known. I personally suppose that at least one of the Great Houses was behind this intrigue, because it's hard to imagine that it could be otherwise. After all when she was crowned as a basilissa young Berta was only 5 months old. Newborn child had some vague claim to the Throne – after all she was a granddaughter not only of basileus Ioustinianos III Doukas but also kaiser Hesso von Calw, ruler of the Germans. It was obvious that whoever could control her as an Imperial Regent was going to effectively rule the Empire for at least 15 years. Her “rule” ended abruptly however, for whoever was behind this intrigue clearly underestimated the hunger for power of the Doukoi.

Arsenios Doukas

Born11 November 1144
Died – under suspicious circumstances on 19 February 1174 at age 30
Reigned for10 months (1173-1174)

KWGotAi.jpg

Porphyrogennetos Arsenios is remembered mostly for two things – his brutal conquest of Konstantinoupolis and incredibly bloody although short rule. After his supporters initiated riots in the City and with several districts in fire, his army consisted of Latins and mercenaries assaulted the Great Palace where young Berta von Jülich was hiding. Most of the guardsmen betrayed their basilissa and only Varangians fought to the end, although as soon as Arsenios arrived in Great Palace and personally executed Imperial Regent, the Norsemen knelt before him as their new ruler. Many Romaioi died during these days and even more were about to die, because Arsenios feared the same thing which gave him the Throne – revolt and coup. And so the great persecution started with many of the aristoi from every House arrested and executed or banished for “high treason”. It was a common knowledge that most if not all of these plots and schemes against the Throne and basileus Arsenios were only results of his paranoia. Using Latins and western mercenaries he ruled with an iron fist and soon there wasn't a Great House which member wasn't blinded, castrated or killed by the basileus. Determined to limit the power of aristoi he ordered not only to execute all prisoners and exiles in the imperial dungeons but also just several weeks after his ascension to the Throne inspired a great massacre of Pisans in the Latin district in which more than 40,000 died killed by rabble. Although it was probably attempt to improve economical situation of Basileia Romaion by effectively removing influences of Pisan merchants from the City and to gain support from the commoners, it only made it clear for everyone that he won't hesitate to use the harshest methods possible. Great Houses couldn't just ignore the ongoing massacre of their members – infuriated by his tyrannical rule and attempt to turn the common men against their superiors they rebelled and soon several powerful factions declared war against him.

But from the chaos of civil war, peasant revolts and Shia raids order emerged. Doux Markos I Angelos who married porphyrogenneta Euphrasia Doukas shortly before the assassination of basileus Polykarpos being a loyal servant of the Empire was fighting against the rebels for years. During this struggle he became de facto ruler of themata Cibyrrhaeot and Anatolia. After the rule of fear and terror of basileus Arsenios began it was him as one of the mightiest aristoi in the Empire who declared war on a hated tyrant to remove him from power and give to Throne to the rightfully heir – his wife. As a daughter of basileus Philaretos the Great, Euphrasia Doukas had as much right to the Throne as her despicable and vile brother Arsenios. The war for her claim ended quickly for basileus had little support besides what loyalty gold could buy.

After the swift victory of combined forces of Angeloi, Komnenoi and Skleroi, Euphrasia Doukas was crowned as basilissa of the Empire and tyrannical rule of her brother ended. She decided to hand him over to the city mob which punished him greatly. His right hand was cut off, his teeth and hair pulled out, boiling water was thrown in his face and one of his eyes was gouged out. Finally on the Hippodrome he was hung up between two pillars and stabbed to death, after which his body was torn apart. The rule of Euphrasia began but it would take years before the Second Doukid Anarchy was fully over.

Euphrasia “the Fat” Doukas

Born28 February 1149
Died – bedridden and infirm on 17 May 1227 at age 78
Reigned for53 years (1174-1227)

ZjaosKe.jpg

Porphyrogenneta Euphrasia is a crucial person in the history of my House and the Empire. Her unusually long for a woman rule marked a transitional period from the old order to the new. Not only after her death the Throne was passed to House Angelos but also it was during her reign where terrifying barbaric Hordes from the Far East appeared in Europe. During these years the fate of the West has been sealed, for the Cathar heretics united under German kaiser were locked in an eternal war with the rest of the Catholic world led by bishop of Rome. It was due to this conflict that Muslims were able to destroy all Iberian kingdoms save for Aragon. But the most devastating consequences revealed themselves much later when the savages from the Far West appeared on the western shores. It was also during her rule when kingdom of Rus formed and when House Golovin rose to the position of one of the most influential and powerful dynasties in Europe, holding crowns of Hungary, Poland and Aquitaine.

What concerns Empire is that only after 3 years since her coronation basilissa Euphrasia – with troops and gold provided by her husband doux Markos I Angelos – managed to finally restore order in Basileia Romaion. And thus the Second Doukid Anarchy ended but what followed wasn't a prosperous rule. I know there are many historians who argue that her rule was one of the last periods of peace but it isn't entirely true. Yes, basilissa Euphrasia managed to stay out of wars for a long time and she successfully defended eastern borders from Shia infidels. But it was during her reign when the army was neglected, with most gold from the imperial treasure spent on luxuries of the Great Palace, gifts and salaries for the court officials and members of House Doukas, expensive games on Hippodrome and so on. And although there was a cultural revival basillsa earned her nickname. Euphrasia the Fat was concerned mostly with well-being of her own and her favorites and also long philosophical and theological discussions. She was a skillful administrator and a just ruler but the problem lied in the fact that she simply didn't care about army or navy. Euphrasia Doukas was blind to threats to the Empire for surrounded with flatterers in her Great Palace she was sure that there is no such force which could challenge the power of the Throne. It got worse when her husband died, for she didn't love her son doux Markos II Angelos and surely didn't respect him. The empty place left by doux Markos I was a gaping hole, for without the only person which could influence her and help her concentrate on the matters of state she soon become decadent and corrupt, ignoring problems of the provinces and in general everything outside the luxury of the Palace. Instead of facing the barbarians she preferred to bribe them and although it is usually a good strategy this forced the heathens to expand to the north-east and south-east of the imperial borders. It is possible that if only she decided to crash the Ilkhanate then it would've never grown to become the dominant power of Asia.

But all her flaws are nothing when one has to compare them to her greatest achievement – she gave birth to doux Markos II Angelos who became a father to a man who was about to change history and forever shape the future of both Basileia Romaion and Europe.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It took three days to read this whole thing after my last stop on page thirteen several weeks ago. I look forward to even more grand Roman adventures!

-

[IC]
My sovereign liege, esteemed and noble Augustus Bassileus of Byzantine and Rome, I have studied the history of your illustrious and noble house for my entire twenty year life, and I must conclude that while you and all your family have their sins, intrigue, murder and tragedies, I can say without doubt that they were necessary to save the Empire. Sin is sin, but God forgives sin, and He is especially understanding of our flawed nature when forced into a corner.

Consider King David of Israel. He was a man who, like you, my Augustus Bassileus, sought after God's Own Heart. He had his faults, his lusts, and he even had a man murdered in cold blood, but he was redeemed in the eyes of God by his devotion and service to Him. Your House's illustrious chronicles have without doubt confirmed this to me and my heart.

The Angelols dynasty is after God's Own Heart, destined to save all of Christianity, even the astrayed, lowly heretics under the dishonest Bishop of Rome, from the onslaught of the Aztec demons and Mongol barbarians. The demon seed of Ishmael join in Satan's knocking against your gates, but your holy city of Constantinople remains strong.

Only you and your House hold the salvation of Christendom, and I, like all true citizens of Byzantium and Rome, are ready to defend you, the Throne, and God from the encroaching devilry of the dark gods of Tengri and heart-rippers of Aztecs.

Glory, power, and God's blessings unto the occupant of the Throne of Markos, the sovereign Imperial Augustus, Basilleus of Byzantium and Rome, of the illustrious House Markos! God be with you and all your endeavors!

(I've always wanted to write something like that for you. :D )

Thank god (or quetzalcoatl) for that because Im not drawing it any time soon

Bah, besides recovering the lands lost to the Turks and giving the empire more than half century of peace, what have the Doukas ever done to us ? [/Monty Python] :D

Nice piece of revisionism , BTW... even the good deeds of the Doukas are always portraied in a not so bright light ( and even when it is asserted in the title that a Croatian duke plotted a certain death , we just have to worder if the dismissal of Angeloi involvement is not a little too forced :D )

Of course, there is no mis-portrayal of the Doukas. If the Most Glory House of Saint Markos (May his soul be blessed and praised) was in power, the Holy Empire would not have ever gone through troubles. In fact, the Roman Empire would have been restored hundreds of years ago, giving the power the Glorious Romans needed to defeat the Xenoi when they arrived to spread their heathen ways. In fact, reading this convinces me the Doukas were in league with the Heretical Bishop of Rome! The Empire will not be safe until the treacherous servants of evil are expelled from the Holy Bastion of the Roman Empire, Shield of the Cross.

I also have something I've written based on this: a song/poem to the tune of "In Taberna," called "Song of a Crumbling Europa."

We fight to survive, enemies on all sides
I don’t think we’ll last long in this dying land.
Aztecs, Mongols, Catholics, infidels and heathens
It is up to Roma to make a final stand.

A battle to live on, a glorious legacy
I have not the faintest what the end could be.
Imperial tagmata fight to keep them out
Barbarians at the gates, like waters from a spout.

We’re fighting to survive, with invaders on all sides
Cities are broken with their terrible attacks.
Book-burnings and civil war and genocide
We believe help keep us safe from the great Lord’s wrath.

Europa is in flames, but we will light a path
For dying nations to escape the invaders’ wrath.
With fiery sword and shield we push them east and west
But more of them come, and we’ve yet to see their best.

Aztecs, Timurids, Ilkhanate and Bavaria
All of them barbarians or filthy traitors.
The Roman Empire is the master of the world!
Now draw your glinting swords and let the banners unfurl!

With blood we shall pay dearly
For our existence.
We fight the xenoi yearly
Without any assistance.

And in blackest of days
I feel a greatest change.
Reformers everywhere
Augustus will not hear.

Protests, urban violence
Doukoi blamed as always.
But this time they know
Of the Angeloi's true ways.

Reform is upon us!
Rejoice, civi Romani!
Augustus has heard us!
Perhaps we may survive!

Good luck in EUIV! I'll be reading it all!

I remember why I started reading this. One day I decided, I'm actually going to read one of those AAR things, and I clicked on a few, and saw, he look! It's the guy who actually cared about the Slavs (one of my favorite religions game) during the Old Gods dev diaries. Then I read the Intro, and I was like, Holy Perun! And I loved it, so I'm sooooooo excited to see how it'll turn out in EUIV
Haha, yeah, I was pretty irritated by the almost complete lack of flavor in case of Slavs - as a matter of fact, "The Old Gods" should be called "Viking DLC" because vast majority of new features went to the Norse. But let's not dwelve on the past: the future belongs to the Imperium! :)
Meanwhile in Tenochtitlan...
That shaman should be working on a hospital making heart transplants. He would be a rich man.
Woulnd't "Apocalypto" be more adequate than "Temple of Doom"?
I Ceasar what you did there!
Yay, someone noticed :)
GLORY AND POWER TO THE AUGUSTUS EMPEROR OF BYZANTIUM AND ROME! :laugh:
Long may he live!
It took three days to read this whole thing after my last stop on page thirteen several weeks ago. I look forward to even more grand Roman adventures!
-
[IC]
My sovereign liege, esteemed and noble Augustus Bassileus of Byzantine and Rome, I have studied the history of your illustrious and noble house for my entire twenty year life, and I must conclude that while you and all your family have their sins, intrigue, murder and tragedies, I can say without doubt that they were necessary to save the Empire. Sin is sin, but God forgives sin, and He is especially understanding of our flawed nature when forced into a corner.

Consider King David of Israel. He was a man who, like you, my Augustus Bassileus, sought after God's Own Heart. He had his faults, his lusts, and he even had a man murdered in cold blood, but he was redeemed in the eyes of God by his devotion and service to Him. Your House's illustrious chronicles have without doubt confirmed this to me and my heart.

The Angelols dynasty is after God's Own Heart, destined to save all of Christianity, even the astrayed, lowly heretics under the dishonest Bishop of Rome, from the onslaught of the Aztec demons and Mongol barbarians. The demon seed of Ishmael join in Satan's knocking against your gates, but your holy city of Constantinople remains strong.

Only you and your House hold the salvation of Christendom, and I, like all true citizens of Byzantium and Rome, are ready to defend you, the Throne, and God from the encroaching devilry of the dark gods of Tengri and heart-rippers of Aztecs.

Glory, power, and God's blessings unto the occupant of the Throne of Markos, the sovereign Imperial Augustus, Basilleus of Byzantium and Rome, of the illustrious House Markos! God be with you and all your endeavors!

(I've always wanted to write something like that for you. :D )
That was very cool, thanks :) Though please remember that this is not an interactive AAR, so I don't think we should endulge in stuff like this - I don't want this thread to be locked down.
Bah, besides recovering the lands lost to the Turks and giving the empire more than half century of peace, what have the Doukas ever done to us ? [/Monty Python] :D
Doukas eunt domus! :D
Nice piece of revisionism , BTW... even the good deeds of the Doukas are always portraied in a not so bright light ( and even when it is asserted in the title that a Croatian duke plotted a certain death , we just have to worder if the dismissal of Angeloi involvement is not a little too forced :D )
This is a faithful depiction of the historical events, please don't spread the propaganda of the enemy. Also, alleged involvement of the Great House Angelos in this tragy is, well, alleged and nothing more. And that's that.
tumblr_mqxy6op7Xj1rth2h5o1_400.gif

When I think what could have been preserved, if only the Blessed House had been on the throne during all this years of Doukas mismanagement...
Yeah. But actually AI did pretty well - I'll show you some screenshots in the next part of the chronicle.
Of course, there is no mis-portrayal of the Doukas. If the Most Glory House of Saint Markos (May his soul be blessed and praised) was in power, the Holy Empire would not have ever gone through troubles. In fact, the Roman Empire would have been restored hundreds of years ago, giving the power the Glorious Romans needed to defeat the Xenoi when they arrived to spread their heathen ways. In fact, reading this convinces me the Doukas were in league with the Heretical Bishop of Rome! The Empire will not be safe until the treacherous servants of evil are expelled from the Holy Bastion of the Roman Empire, Shield of the Cross.
Hear, hear! One can not allow himself to be seduced by lies of the xenois. The Angeloi protect!
I also have something I've written based on this: a song/poem to the tune of "In Taberna," called "Song of a Crumbling Europa."

We fight to survive, enemies on all sides
I don’t think we’ll last long in this dying land.
Aztecs, Mongols, Catholics, infidels and heathens
It is up to Roma to make a final stand.

A battle to live on, a glorious legacy
I have not the faintest what the end could be.
Imperial tagmata fight to keep them out
Barbarians at the gates, like waters from a spout.

We’re fighting to survive, with invaders on all sides
Cities are broken with their terrible attacks.
Book-burnings and civil war and genocide
We believe help keep us safe from the great Lord’s wrath.

Europa is in flames, but we will light a path
For dying nations to escape the invaders’ wrath.
With fiery sword and shield we push them east and west
But more of them come, and we’ve yet to see their best.

Aztecs, Timurids, Ilkhanate and Bavaria
All of them barbarians or filthy traitors.
The Roman Empire is the master of the world!
Now draw your glinting swords and let the banners unfurl!

With blood we shall pay dearly
For our existence.
We fight the xenoi yearly
Without any assistance.

And in blackest of days
I feel a greatest change.
Reformers everywhere
Augustus will not hear.

Protests, urban violence
Doukoi blamed as always.
But this time they know
Of the Angeloi's true ways.

Reform is upon us!
Rejoice, civi Romani!
Augustus has heard us!
Perhaps we may survive!

Good luck in EUIV! I'll be reading it all!
This is totally awesome, even more when you read this while listening to "In taberna":
[video=youtube_share;zNLoti4sjlI]http://youtu.be/zNLoti4sjlI[/video]
Thank you very much, that's just great :) And speaking about EU4, I hope "Wealth of Nations" is going to be released soon so that the transition between CK2 and EU4 will be smooth. Honestly I can't wait - additional 400 years, trade, diplomacy, naval warfare and everything CK2 is lacking. Plus thanks to some mods (Ruler Traits to be precise) the gameplay will still be (hopefully) character-driven - as much as it is possible in EU4 of course.

Finally finished the latest Chronicle installment. And my, the Roman Empire sure had to endure great hardships when the greedy Doukai schemed their way to the throne. We always knew that the Doukai were treacherous snakes, but this history makes it clear just how much hardship their sinful actions inflicted on the Empire and true Christendom. In a sense, they are worse than the Aztec demons - the demons, by nature, are evil and beyond salvation. The Doukai, however, chose to do their deeds and therefore condemned themselves to the fires of hell.

A very enlightening read.

Once you export up, there won't be any papacy... or really any catholic provinces, for that matter, and the accursed bishop of Rome and his heretical institution will finally crumble. Let us pray that in his death throes, he won't sabotage your innovators and leave you with eastern tech.

Also, will you be using a randomized new world?

Finally finished the latest Chronicle installment. And my, the Roman Empire sure had to endure great hardships when the greedy Doukai schemed their way to the throne. We always knew that the Doukai were treacherous snakes, but this history makes it clear just how much hardship their sinful actions inflicted on the Empire and true Christendom. In a sense, they are worse than the Aztec demons - the demons, by nature, are evil and beyond salvation. The Doukai, however, chose to do their deeds and therefore condemned themselves to the fires of hell.

A very enlightening read.
Exactly - they chose to oppose the Throne and unlike xenoi they have a soul which is going to suffer eternal punishment.

Once you export up, there won't be any papacy... or really any catholic provinces, for that matter, and the accursed bishop of Rome and his heretical institution will finally crumble. Let us pray that in his death throes, he won't sabotage your innovators and leave you with eastern tech.

You forgot about Scotland! Those damn heretics still dwell on British Isles. But yes, accursed bishop of Rome will finally be stripped from his earthly possessions.

Nope, I don't have CoP. Maybe I'll buy on some sale before WoN release but I won't use it for this AAR I think.

Next chapter is coming soon, so be prepared :)

The sad thing is that the randomized new world function doesn't work with ck2 imported worlds, something to do with the way the transfer function works.

The sad thing is that the randomized new world function doesn't work with ck2 imported worlds, something to do with the way the transfer function works.

Most likely the land distribution mechanics for the Aztecs

Most likely the land distribution mechanics for the Aztecs
Really? I'm quite sure I saw somewhere screenshots from exported CK2 with Sunset Invasion and random new world.

It seems, the most honorable Angeloi have a hand for success. I found that in my recent game:
9eh2gdxb.jpg

Incidentally it's the first time I see the AI form Taurika. They aren't byzantine Emperors yet, but the year is only 990 so there's still time for that. And boy, does the Byzantines need rightful and godlike rulers like them...

Last edited:
Really? I'm quite sure I saw somewhere screenshots from exported CK2 with Sunset Invasion and random new world.

I was making a guess really, never used the random new world generator. I find it a bit distasteful.

How many years remain in the old game?