• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The people..no the citizens of paris have spoken, they will not tolerate the feullients and monarchist plit to end th revolution!. The force of arms of the reactionaries cannot stop the voice of the masses. But the violence should end soon before it spiral out of control. It is unthinkable that the national guard shall be handed back to the forces of the reaction to use again the revolution itself and for so to maintain the revolution and the people protected il declare my intentions of comander and chief of the National guard

I advise tthe forcs of tje reaction and oppression to follow the will of tje people and give participation to their representative or be prepare for the river of blood to flow, for shall we need to bleed for the revolutoon, bleed we will!!

Cordolier to the death Javert valjean

(Sorry for miatake in ortography etc, typing on my cellphone ane no computer acces for the weekend))

art_nouveau_stylised_rose_round_stickers-rbf00b913e9404e1598d2563b4df1c406_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

Le Société de Messieurs Français / The Society of French Gentlemen

A meeting of Le Société de Messieurs Français has hereby been called regarding the latest occurrences in Paris. The meeting shall be held in the Société`s headquarters just outside Paris.

~ Messieur Vincent Parént

People of Paris! Do not listen to the demagogues, the violent traitors, who only wish to use you for their own ends. Do not die for their vanity. Their is no liberty in destruction, no honour in needless violence. Why throw our lives away? The Assembly and the People must be united against the foes of liberty and freedom. The demagogues who seek to manipulate you want nothing but power for themselves; we must not exchange the tyranny of the Ancien Regime for the tyranny of traitors, traitors to France and the French people! I promise you, I shall provide a budget which shall bring fairness and prosperity to all citizens of France, regardless of their station. Let us work through reason and debate, not tyranny and slaughter.

~ Réne Leon

People of Paris! Do not listen to the demagogues, the violent traitors, who only wish to use you for their own ends. Do not die for their vanity. Their is no liberty in destruction, no honour in needless violence. Why throw our lives away? The Assembly and the People must be united against the foes of liberty and freedom. The demagogues who seek to manipulate you want nothing but power for themselves; we must not exchange the tyranny of the Ancien Regime for the tyranny of traitors, traitors to France and the French people! I promise you, I shall provide a budget which shall bring fairness and prosperity to all citizens of France, regardless of their station. Let us work through reason and debate, not tyranny and slaughter.

~ Réne Leon
False words from a traitor of the People!

Should the people of Paris stand idly while their Revolution is being threatened? While their natural rights are just as denied as they were during the Absolutism? And while Monarchists and Reactionaries have already infiltrated the government to bring an end to our conquests? No!

What we are seeing here is the true will of the People, a People that won't stand for the new tyranny of the Feuillants, neither for a return to Feudalism! They are here to fight for their freedom and their natural rights, we Jacobins and Cordeliers are here to help them in their struggle against the counter-revolutionaries and this atrociously limited suffrage, and neither of us will stand down until the whole of France won't be a truly free nation!

- André Bouchard

Speaking in Cordeliers District, Antoine Durand's voice thunders across the crowd and strikes like lightning to the core of their spirit.

Let me ask you now! Do any of you truly trust the current government? Do any of us truly have confidence that the king and his puppet government intends to represent the people's will and safeguard the throne of liberty? The crowd respond angrily NO!. Well then if the king's government refuses to serve the people than I shall! I say to you all that it is time to rise up and take control of our destinies as citizens of a republic that we shall manifest through strength of arms! I call on the citizens of Cordeliers to join me and declaring this district free of the king's rotted hand of tyranny! Let us take up arms and continue on our journey to destiny! A destiny of liberté, égalité, fraternité!The crowd begins to sing "The king shall fall! And the new age of liberty shall begin! Let us now take up arms! To control our destiny as free men!"

Antoine Durand attempts to organize an organized and armed group known as the Phrygian Guard. Arms and leaders shall be acquired. Durand shall be the Guard's leader.

Durand votes Mon for the Local Government Act

[Cordeliers]

I no longer entrust the royalist government with any decisions especially the Local Government Act which will most naturally lead to the appointment of pro-loyalist leaders to local positions that will only further the power of the king!

I no longer entrust the royalist government with any decisions especially the Local Government Act which will most naturally lead to the appointment of pro-loyalist leaders to local positions that will only further the power of the king!

I don't think you understand the bill, Monsieur. Local governments would be elected under the terms of the proposed legislation.

Édouard-Alexandre Blair​

Haggard and weary, the King gazed at the gentlemen assembled before him. They gazed back at him. First Minister Blair stood next to him, the grace of God and the authority of the people held before the whole of the nation. Blair himself looked as if he had seen a ghost; shaken by the howling mobs so unlike the constitutional democracy in his green and pleasant homeland. Many of the Feuillants looked to their two leaders, the Father and the Son, while the Monarchial few appeared to be considering a vanguard action from the Palace. Only the Jacobins and other radicals were pleased, cackling and plotting the rise of a new France while occasionally pausing to hurl an insult. Knowing he must say something, the King stepped forth.

266px-Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_France_%26_Navarre.svg.png

The Address of His Most Christian Majesty, Louis XVI, King of the French; to the first National Assembly

And Jesus said: “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” But they, dividing his garments, cast lots.

The word of the Lord, thanks be to God. Today we have been besieged as at no other point in the history of the people, from the reign of the noble Charlemagne to that of our grandfather. The people of Paris have seen fit to assault their King, in violation of the Constitution and the will of God. We would, however, be naught but foolish to blindly condemn and dismiss the anger of the people. A King is father to his people, and we are grieved to see the suffering of our children. The people have willed the creation of the Constitution but in their fear, have likewise pronounced it under threat. We also, in the spirit of the Revolution, embrace the Constitutional rights of the people and seek to preserve it as do the Feuillants.

The Jacobins and Cordeliers cry forth unto the people, shrieking that the Revolution is under threat and that her enemies be put to suffer. They coolly offer the choice of Pontius Pilate to the justly furious people: whom shall we release? Jesus of Nazareth or Barabbas? And it is their fervent hope that the people will cry “Give us Barabbas!” and so that the chaos of insurrection and violence can be unleashed upon all of France. The gentlemen in this room, none of them, Monarchial to Cordelier, are treasonous. We commend them all for their dedication to what they believe to the good of France. But we cannot sanction violence or extremism by any party. The Kingdom of France is dedicated to the principles La Nation, la Loi, et le Roi and violence disgraces the nation, violates the law, and endangers the King.

We are dismayed by the distrust of the public in our appointed government, which we have appointed in obedience to the Constitution. While it is beyond our power to dismiss the National Assembly it is within our power to regulate the appointment of the ministry and, therefore, we order that the Minister of the Navy be dismissed from his post. All ministers of the French government must command the trust of the French people, and the Comte has clearly not mastered such, in addition to his unfortunate and disreputable statements to incite violence against radicals and the people of France whom he is supposed to serve. We appoint General Charles Pierre-Francois Augereau to the position of Minister of the Navy, and in light of the resignation of M. Aulard, appoint Fernande Duveau to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We have the utmost faith in M. St Sebastien to manage the affairs and much-needed reforms of the military, and trust in General Augereau to co-operate fully with his colleague in order to ensure the necessary defensive capabilities of France against those hostile foreign powers which wish to turn back the clock and cast France into a less enlightened age. Similarly, we trust that M. Duveau will seek in all things to avoid war with those aforementioned powers, and keep the Revolution foremost in his mind.

Finally, we re-affirm our belief that the monarchy is a valuable and venerable institution for the French people. Standing above pedestrian politics, only the Crown can truly assure that the rights of the people are respected and maintained. The monarchy is the guard of liberty, and you will find no person more than us willing to defend the Revolution and the Constitution. Likewise, we re-affirm our constitutional oath before God and this Assembly:

We shall be faithful to the nation and to the law, employ all the power delegated to us to maintain the Constitution decreed by the National Constituent Assembly in the years 1789, 1790, and 1791, and to have the laws executed.

May God protect us, the law and the Constitution guide us, and the Blessed Virgin preserve us all.

125px-Signature_of_Louis_XVI.svg.png

Blair himself looked as if he had seen a ghost; shaken by the howling mobs so unlike the constitutional democracy in his green and pleasant homeland.

((I don't imagine a former Cavalry Captain who fought in the Revolution would be too shaken by such things. ;)))

((I don't imagine a former Cavalry Captain who fought in the Revolution would be too shaken by such things. ;)))
((Hush, Syriana said you were ashen so I ran with it :p))

((Hush, Syriana said you were ashen so I ran with it :p))
God has spoken!

I will be very busy this weekend, so now is the opportunity for the Government to prepare itself, set its agenda for the coming year (if it survives that long) and find a way to placate the rebels. Needless to say, failure to do so will have dire consequences...

It seems that the king and his government truly want to answer the demands of the people, sacking foolish Reactionaries and appointing more enthusiastic Revolutionaries, or at least they are trying to give such an impression.

Let's see how far the Feuillants' compromise can go: the people of Paris are not besieging our assembly simply because of some Monarchist rant or petty insults to the Revolution, they are here to fight and eliminate the infamous limitations on suffrage. Indeed, the Revolution can never be declared finished as long as this vile outrage to the natural rights of our citizens won't be eliminated once and for all.
If the government and the king truly want to obey to the demands of the French People then I'm expecting them to put an end to such Feudal limitations, limited suffrage is as good as no suffrage at all! Unrestricted suffrage is the only system that can give freedom to our People!

- André Bouchard

Shortly after receiving Parént's reply, which was delayed due to the unfortunate incident in Paris, St Sebastien wrote his own reply.

To His Excellency, the Lieutenant-General of Police, Vincent Parént,

I believe a talk over wine within the fortnight is most acceptable, unless of course duty forces me elsewhere. Seeing as several officers have sent me preliminary reports, and other reports made my ministry itself, it seems we may well have a great deal to talk about. I do hope this madness near the Palace will not complicate matters, or force either of us from our tasks.

Monsieur Aulard's resignation is most shocking, and indeed worrisome; I fear that without these moderate liberals present in our government, we may find ourselves with yet another terror in the fields, or worse still, another Bastille. It is imperative that the military is prepared for such an occurrence.

Sincerely,
Paul-Aurélien de St Sebastien, Baron d’Harfleur in Pretense, and Secretary of State for War

If it is universal suffrage the people want, then I am more than happy to give it to them. It is of the utmost importance that we remain united during these periods of unrest. These are new days for our new regime. Any antagonism now could have dire consequences for the future stability of our nation, and, ultimately, our newfound liberties. After all, unrest begets unrest.

This is why centralism is important. The people of the provinces must not be left out of our affairs as we venture into a new dawn. Revoltionary change is no good if the vast majority of the country do not know it has occurred. If anything we do in the coming weeks and months is to have any bearing on our future welfare, it must be for the good of the nation – not just Paris. France exists outside of our capital – something which our hideously decentralised system often allows suits forget.

I therefore, naturally, vote aye to the Local Government Bill, and urge all liberty-loving supporters of the Revolution to do the same.

Édouard-Alexandre Blair
First Minister of His Majesty's Government

((Just to make it clear:

Local Government Act: Aye

[Feuillant]))

I will, at the present time abstain from voting on this Local Government Act until I am made aware of how this will affect the War Secretariat's ability to govern and protect the border-provinces of France, particularly in regards to the building and maintenance of fortifications. I believe neither have been addressed as of yet, and I am greatly interested in seeing where the administration of these lands and fortifications lie, should this bill be made a law.

~ Paul-Aurélien de St Sebastien, Baron d’Harfleur in Pretense, and Secretary of State for War

I will, at the present time abstain from voting on this Local Government Act until I am made aware of how this will affect the War Secretariat's ability to govern and protect the border-provinces of France, particularly in regards to the building and maintenance of fortifications. I believe neither have been addressed as of yet, and I am greatly interested in seeing where the administration of these lands and fortifications lie, should this bill be made a law.

~ Paul-Aurélien de St Sebastien, Baron d’Harfleur in Pretense, and Secretary of State for War

It can be assumed, Secretary of State, that such responsibilities will remain under the remit of the War Ministry unless explicitly assigned to local governments in a further bill. To my mind, allowing the construction and upkeep of our border defences to be entrusted to many different organs strikes me as inefficient and opens up the potential for an uncoordinated line of defence – which would be disastrous should our fears prove founded in that we suffer an invasion from the east.

On a different note, I wish to open up the floor to suggestions of further reforming legislation from the Assembly. The need for an expanded franchise has been noted, and I am eager to ascertain the mood of the people in other areas.

Édouard-Alexandre Blair
First Minister of His Majesty's Government

- Lord Chancellor Per Le Goff

I extend my sincerest gratitude to His Majesty upon appointing myself to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, an honour I will proudly accept. While we live at the most decisive moment the history of our country, I vow to uphold the ideals of the revolution in service to my homeland.

I share the convictions of the First Minister upon the prudence of establishing cordial relations with the other neighbouring powers of Europe: Prussia, Austria, and Britain. France must convince the world that liberty and democracy can build respectable, stable nations. By establishing trust between ourselves and the other Great Powers of Europe can we both ensure the safety of our people from foreign invasion, and the safety of our trading relations with our neighbours.

As a man of liberal leanings I will uphold the values of liberty and equality, and wholeheartedly support the expansion of suffrage to the provinces and the countryside. The revolution was not committed to liberate only the elites of Paris, but to ensure the freedom and justice of all the residents of France, regardless of blood or wealth. Our government is obligated to uphold the rights of all French citizens, but this obligation impossible uphold if the government has no authority over the country. For this reason centrilisation is imperative to the stability of our country, and I vote aye to the Local Government Act.

Clearly, however, even the residents of Paris are not granted their rights and freedoms from the state. The fires of the revolution have not burned out, and the people still view the nobility and the Monarchy as their enemies. I share many concerns with those in revolt over the nobility's grip on our country, and agree that more powers must be given to the people. However, I condemn those supporting violent overthrow of the Monarchy. If we are to be true liberals, true to liberty and equality, than we must truly follow the path of democracy. Rapid, violent revolts breed only more violence and instability. If real liberty, real equality will be achieved in France, it will be achieved by the ballot, not the bullet.

Fernande Duveau

[Jacobin]

If it is universal suffrage the people want, then I am more than happy to give it to them. It is of the utmost importance that we remain united during these periods of unrest. These are new days for our new regime. Any antagonism now could have dire consequences for the future stability of our nation, and, ultimately, our newfound liberties. After all, unrest begets unrest.

Minister,

It is not just myself I speak for, when I say that I don't believe you. Your words are soothing, but your actions few; in fact, one could state that your words are deceiving. You speak of universal suffrage, equality for the people, all things which I support with all my heart, things we have fought for in the Revolution. Yet on the other hand, from the side of this government there is neither unversal suffrage nor any attempt to implement it - or, for that matter, any of the Revolutionary ideals. There has not been a single attempt to address the unfolding crisis, only meaningless administrative reform.

Universal suffrage will come, you whisper, but only after the people pledge their vocal support for less appetizing parts of your plan. At this time, I find myself wondering if the suffrage amendment will be "delayed", or that you will in fact propose it, knowing that your fellow Feuillants will vote against no matter what.

Monsieur Blair, you are a brilliant and cunning politician, an adept statesman, and a masterful orator. And for that, you are the very worst thing that could have happened to the France I hold so dear. You know as well as I do that the people want liberty and equality. You know they want to break free of the chains of the feudal elite. And, quite brilliantly, you use this as a means to push your own agenda. I just wish, that along with our brothers in the streets of Paris, the rest of France would realize this...

- "Le Préfet" Renaud de Cartelège

The Suffrage Act

1. The franchise shall be extended to include all male citizens of France over the age of 21.
2. Citizenship shall be defined as per the existing constitution.

~Blair