Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 3: Naval Improvement

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Love the blockade percentage concept! Good work

Should be an option for ships to automatically return to port if they are taking attrition and less than 25% health left or something. Lost my entire fleet the other day cause I was too busy in war and didn't realize my ships were taking so much attrition where they were.

ye, would be nice.

THIS!!! +1

Along the return of trade ships to ports during war.. This would be my 2 most wanted tweaks for naval stuff!
I also strongly favour this addition. Sending trade ships to patrol a node where there is already a patrolling trade fleet should automatically merge the old and new fleets. :)

Is it just me or with the current version of the game the chance of capturing enemy ships is really low if we compare it with EU3?

No its the massively fleet stack wipes in the current version that causes it. Basically every battle is a fight to the finish whether the loser basically loses every last one of his ships. As a result chance of capture is low because all ships are lost. Hopefully WoN has less bloody battles. Something in the middle of that between patches 1.4 and 1.5

Privateers
There are however risks, if you send out privateers other nations will get upset and the people you steal from will get a Trade Conflict Casus Belli against you. There are other consequences as well as we have added a bunch of new historical events that triggers based on privateers.

The question is: On a privateering mission must i choose which nation i want to damage or i only have to send privateers in a node? In the first case only one target nation will get the CB, in the other one all nation with trade power in the mode will get the CB.
What about the Pirate Faction? Will they be able to set up in some provinces? maybe they'll accumulate money and never spend it. Where does that "wealth of nations" go? Will there be a mission: send your explorer to find the hidden treasure?

If piracy is going to be a big addition they should revise the national ideas for morocco and algiers so they can get their barbary piracy on.
Agreed, the Berbers could use some love.
- they need to rebalance galley stats and allow galleys same functions as light ships. Historically piracy in mediterranea was by far more intense and widespread than in overhyped caribbean, good god probably even in black sea piracy was more intense than in carribean.

Sounds interesting, though in case if Paradox developer happens to read this I'm wondering out of curiosity, will we see ability to attack enemy fleets in ports? Would make things ala Raid on the Medway possible and perhaps put slightly more interesting twist to naval affairs. Simply add say, 50 diplomatic point (or military? or say 25\25 split) cost to the action and give -1 or -2 modifier to the defender.

Historically piracy in mediterranea was by far more intense and widespread than in overhyped caribbean, good god probably even in black sea piracy was more intense than in carribean.

Yeah but there are no BW movies with Errol Flynn depicting Black Sea piracy. As you know, everything important in the last 300 years happened in America. Or close proximity to it.

I'm not really understanding how privateers will work. As described, it sounds like something that the AI might do to annoy you, but won't be a strong strategic choice for the player to take advantage of, much like lots of espionage style stuff.

IMO it means that privateering is above all meant to destroy rivals´ trade power instead of giving you Money.

There is a problem however - gold provinces won´t be affected...

Trade patrol behaviours
Personally I hate when you find yourself at war with a bigger naval power and they quickly sink your trade fleets. As a free part of the expansion we are adding the option of setting your trade fleets to automatically return to port at the outbreak of war. After the war is over though, they will return to whatever they were doing at the start of the war. Since its an option, you have a choice to make, is your trade-fleets strong enough to fight of possible attackers or should they always hide at the outbreak of hostilities.

What I'm looking for in DLCs and patches. There are so much room for UI improvement. Please do more of these; like AI control checkbox on army stacks.

Personally I hate when you find yourself at war with a bigger naval power and they quickly sink your trade fleets. As a free part of the expansion we are adding the option of setting your trade fleets to automatically return to port at the outbreak of war. After the war is over though, they will return to whatever they were doing at the start of the war. Since its an option, you have a choice to make, is your trade-fleets strong enough to fight of possible attackers or should they always hide at the outbreak of hostilities.
View attachment 105207

Yes, yes and yes. Only good can come of this feature.

I like the concept of privateers, but I dislike the implementation. Privateers should be completely unrelated to the navy, and should be recruited through diplomacy or military points, rather than simply taking part of the navy and sending them off to be privateers. They should be uncontrollable, and for the most part, just as much a liability as an asset. It would also be nice if they came with their own line of ships - cogs, flutes, merchantmen rigged for war.