• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sickness of Germany Speech of June 20, 1841

"I am sorry to say that my recent planned trip across the Republic to observe their factories must be put on hold. This sickness that I only heard rumors of during my time dealing with the schools of our nation is far worse then I had thought. There was mention of illness sweeping our nation, but I had honestly thought these were minor diseases that would go away in time. It seems I was wrong.

So instead of my planned tour of our industrial factories I will instead be traveling to Munich where the beginning of this prolonged sickness began. Over the next year, or however long it takes, I will be funding every scientist I can to find a cure to what plagues this nation.(Medicine) During this time I will be unable to fully do my task as Minister of Education, but so long as the Chancellor is okay with this I will do everything I can to help combat this illness. The entirety of the Unger family wealth will be put towards the health of our citizens."

-Maximillian Unger

((Thanks for pointing that out varetta, even if you pointed me down that path in the first place. ^_^

I understand that you would like to focus on Steamers but I believe that Medicine, Cheap Iron, and State and Government must come first.))

Last edited:
Works for me -- I will go ahead and play then. See you in a bit with a new update!

July 1841-July 1842: The iron horse

Fritz von Hohenzollern, second son of Samuel von Hohenzollern, was one of the first in the family’s history to choose an entirely mundane profession. Unlike most of the rest of his family, the uncommonly tall and strong lad chose not to attend college, but as soon as he turned 14 (he was huge, even then), he went to work at a railroad corporation based not far from the Imperial capital. He quickly rose up the corporate ladder, substituting hard work and native cleverness for formal education, and at just 22 years of age, with his father’s consent, Fritz had transferred his share of the Hohenzollern wealth into capital for a new corporation: the Hohenzollern Rolling Stock Corporation. Thanks in small part to his father’s influence (and a word or two in Stadtholder Meier’s ear), his nascent enterprise got most of the lucrative railroad contracts, doing good work as the network of German railroads expanded.

3sbe.jpg

Industry continued to thrive all across the republic, but a passion for science started drawing in other young people. Sara von Hohenzollern, the youngest child of Samuel, had done her family proud in her own way, discovering a rare botanical beauty while on a trip in the South Pacific.

k5hm.jpg

Cholera remained a serious problem – in fact, in early 1842, a second outbreak gripped the capital of the German Republic, although the virulence was somewhat lessened – but some of those young scientists had discovered some interesting properties to the “German Empress”, and were awaiting forthcoming funding from the German Academy of Sciences. A contest to design a new model of muzzle-loading rifles was the last major project funded by the Academy, and the winning design had already been put into mass production. It awaited only the imprimatur of Minister Defarge before wide scale distribution to the armies of the Republic. Although breech-loading rifles had been a staple of the German army for years, the new model offered amazing properties in accuracy and range to compensate for the lower rate of fire. “Every man a sniper!” was the motto of the production company, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Deutsch Allgemeine Materialien Unternehmens of the Graf von Altmark. The results were already promising.

Those rifles, at least according to appearances, might not get much use in the immediate future. Apart from a massive engagement pitting the British Empire and France against China, the world was mostly quiet.

zlff.jpg

Yet there were already rumors being whispered in the halls of the mighty within Germany: that might change.

((Apologies, Warlord Skorr – you chose places that already had naval bases, so I didn’t build any. Remember, it’s the light green cross-hatching that indicates places we can build naval bases. Look at the far west, for example, right around Amsterdam – that’s one potential location. Idhrendur, I don’t know where you got your list of railroad states, but some of them don’t exist, and others have mountains, so we can’t build them anyway. I did what I could. :p

EtzelHoveri, just so you know, we’ll finish Muzzle Loaded Rifles in about two in-game weeks, then we’ll start Medicine. Might want to include another tech as well.))

Kind of a dull update, but really, nothing much happened. We did get some more assimilation in Toscana and Romagna, but that’s about it. We’re at 3.2 infamy right now, FWIW.

Any new proposals, gentlemen?

(( I'll double check my list for actual existence, but I figured some of those states would be impassible or already have railroads. Oh, there's a thought. I was listing by the names of states, not of provinces (just in case you understood otherwise). I didn't want to make you report an exhaustive list of up to date provinces with or without rails.

How is the factory building going? Are they still in progress? ))

(( I'll double check my list for actual existence, but I figured some of those states would be impassible or already have railroads. Oh, there's a thought. I was listing by the names of states, not of provinces (just in case you understood otherwise). I didn't want to make you report an exhaustive list of up to date provinces with or without rails.

How is the factory building going? Are they still in progress? ))

((I got the states, but Schleissen, for example, I couldn't find at all.

All the factories are underway; I remember distinctly that the steel factory and lumber mill are finished, and I think the cloth factory might be too. Everything else is in progress.))

((I got the states, but Schleissen, for example, I couldn't find at all.

All the factories are underway; I remember distinctly that the steel factory and lumber mill are finished, and I think the cloth factory might be too. Everything else is in progress.))

((Perhaps Schleissen = Schleswig in-game?))

Assemblymen,

For the past year, I have continued my diplomatic efforts in Britain. This has proven to be a difficult affair. The British are still very much upset by the loss of two of their provinces, and any diplomatic effort we put into relations with them is unlikely to bear any fruit within the coming decade, should we opt to maintain our occupation of these provinces. Since, however, this government shares my views that Anglo-German relations are the key to stability in Europe, I have drafted a document which will, I daresay, most likely be accepted as a means of compromise by the British government. Should you choose to ratify this proposal, that shall be the first step to improved relations between two great powers, and allow us to focus our attention elsewhere.

Diplomatic proposal to the government of the United Kingdom

((GM approved, if approved by majority vote relations with the British will be modded to +100))

All German possessions on the British mainland which were acquired in the 1838 War, which includes the provinces of Bath and Salisbury, but notably excludes Somerset, will be sold to the United Kingdom for the sum equivalent to 4.000.000 DM ((~0.5 billion 2014 euros)), to be paid in gold and/or nation bonds.

Furthermore, the governments of the United Kingdom and the Republic of Germany will, to pronounce their friendship and goodwill, sign a common market treaty for the benefit of entrepeneurs in both countries.

- DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha

((Perhaps Schleissen = Schleswig in-game?))

((Schlesien is Silesia, which I imagine is what Idrendhur means. Schleswig is just Schleswig.))

I approve wholeheartedly of Dr. Gotha's proposal. One of the key elements of my campaign was a détente with the United Kingdom, and this piece of diplomacy seems the perfect way to see this enacted.

Dr. Florentin Wllem Graf von Wächtersbach
Chancellor of the Republic

I'm afraid that I must vote against the proposal presented by my esteemed colleague, Dr. Gotha. While I approve of improving relations with the British, I do not believe we should sell provinces to them that were fairly won in war. Should we be rewarding the British from having withheld rightful German lands from Germany herself? What's to keep the British from demanding Somerset next, simply because they believe the entire isle belongs to them? Nay, I say giving provinces to a former belligerent state is not the answer. Improve relations, yes, but do not reward them for defying the German people.

I support the proposal by DDr. Gotha. We do not need or claim the other lands they offered us in the original peace treaty. Furthermore, allowing the British to gain something back through a negotiation is far more likely to lead to genuine friendship than fortifying said provinces.

((My plans are unchanged for the next year))

Last edited:
I must support the proposal set forth by DDr. Gotha. We have no claim to either Bath or Salisbury, and this is a necessary step in improving the relationship between us and Britain. I originally stood against taking these, and it is good to see the everyone finally coming around.

~Owain von Dwyfor
UAI Stadtholder for Plymouth

((How is the economy?))
I agree with the esteemed DDR Gotha. our relations with Britain must be normalized to maintain the balance on the continent.
FM de Spinoza

((Schlesien is Silesia, which I imagine is what Idrendhur means. Schleswig is just Schleswig.))

(( I just double-checked my notes and this is correct. I may have some strange problem with my localization files, or maybe I was really tired or something. ))

((This is purely a matter of foreign policy, so it's Assembly only for the votes.

GUG, we've got a positive balance, but unless you give me a more specific question, that's a bit complex to answer. :)))

48 hours to vote on the Foreign Policy proposal. In-game effects would be -- boost of relations to +100, secession of all non-cores to UK, and an unspecified sum in money -- I discussed £500,000 as an acceptable sum with General Marshall via PM -- £4 million is what he has above. I'll let him decide that.

((Sorry. Specifically, could I have a picture of the budget? :)))

((Sorry. Specifically, could I have a picture of the budget? :)))

((Sure. :) I'll post it for you here in a bit!))

EDIT:

n7rh.jpg

Tax rates are 60/55/50 (poor/middle/rich). Army is at 25%, Navy at 30%.

Last edited:
48 hours to vote on the Foreign Policy proposal. In-game effects would be -- boost of relations to +100, secession of all non-cores to UK, and an unspecified sum in money -- I discussed £500,000 as an acceptable sum with General Marshall via PM -- £4 million is what he has above. I'll let him decide that.

((I believe that we previously decided that the pound sterling as used in-game was worth more than the DMark. So 4 million DM might very well translate to 500.000 pounds sterling. Looking at the budget, that seems like an adequate number.))

((I believe that we previously decided that the pound sterling as used in-game was worth more than the DMark. So 4 million DM might very well translate to 500.000 pounds sterling. Looking at the budget, that seems like an adequate number.))

((We did previously discuss money, and according to this post £4million nowadays would be about £50k in game.))