Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations expansion– Developer diary 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I still think MP is the wrong way to balance the game.

Hopefully we will get to have something to do between wars anyway.
The metaphysics of the points system is not much different from the tech sliders. The main difference is that costs are paid in full rather than streamed over time. I do agree that some of the opportunity costs aren't all that interesting i.e. coring requiring ADM points. It would be nice if there was more internal management e.g. centralization efforts, culture/religious management, ruler traits and manifold election considerations.

I made a post describing some small changes to colonists and missionaries that I think would help. Maybe a dev reading will see. Knowing PDS this stuff has already been considered and dismissed for good reasons or is on the drawing board.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?763221-Suggestion-Make-Colonists-and-Missionaries-More-Fun-Add-More-Meaningful-Choice

As for WoN. I'm liking the addition of policies, fervor and wait expectantly to hear more about the changes to trade.

Finally. I've been checking this forum almost daily for more information on WoN. I can understand why the first DD is more of an introduction than in-depth coverage of game features. The only information I did sort of expect, that was omitted, is how frequently we can expect to see these DD's.

Already in two multiplayer sessions people just ignored Policies due to their inadequate cost. That surely should send devs a message. Hopefully in this early stages of developement this flaw could be changed and reworked.

Hope to see the East India Trade Company mechanics soon

If policies require monthly expenditure of monarch points it sounds like a silly tacky add on and highly situational. Monarch points are fairly precious already. The only way I could see it MAYBE work is if +2 and +3 advisors were cheaper to compensate. But again heavily favors western nations.

ejStGpk.gif

Rather than a monthly MP upkeep cost for policies, they should have a simple MP cost for enacting or cancelling a policy. A monthly cost ensures that nobody will use any policy longer than they have to. People will pretty much only use military ones, and pretty much only while at war. If the idea behind a monthly upkeep cost is that you don't want people to click-it-and-forget-it like most decisions currently are, then it would be better to just add tangible gameplay penalties to each policy. An aggressive trade policy could lower diplomatic reputation, for instance. Might be good in some circumstances, but there are plenty of occasions when it would hurt you. If you wanted to cancel it though, you'd have to spend monarch points, and if you wanted it back, you'd have to spend more. You would be discouraged from just flipping them on and off at a whim, but you'd have incentive to change it every once in a while.
This makes sense to me. Otherwise, people would just turn on a reduced coring cost policy (for example) before clicking on the core province button, then turn it off immediately after paying the coring costs.

I really would prefer to pay a flat amount of monarch points to activate a policy. 50-300 points (needs to be balanced) to make it active and it stays like that without the monthly upkeep.

I really would prefer to pay a flat amount of monarch points to activate a policy. 50-300 points (needs to be balanced) to make it active and it stays like that without the monthly upkeep.

I agree. Pay 10 - 12 monarch points to active a policy for a year. It prevents to spam button of active/disactive a policy before and after a battle etc.

I like the monthly cost. Even better would be needing a period to enact the reforms - one or two years. It removes the "go to war, enact, remove at the end of the war", and it encourages people to use it if they have the points - if Prussia next door, with 12 MIL points per month and 4-5 military policies enacted, decides to DoW me, they have a superior army on all fronts, and I will not have something comparable for a while even starting immediately. It would be risky.

I think this would work only if there was an equal disincentive to toggle policies when times get tough i.e. flat monarch points cost but a monthly ducats cost.

I agree. Pay 10 - 12 monarch points to active a policy for a year. It prevents to spam button of active/disactive a policy before and after a battle etc.
Or maybe keep the monthly cost of 1, and make it so that a policy has a minimum duration of 1 year, so you cannot turn it on/off for a discrete action, but you have to keep it for a while anyway.

Paradox tries to create hype with DD.

Paradox rolls for success ... 2 ... critical failure.

Wealth of Nations gets negative hype.
Yup, I sort of expected that if they had decided to start the Devdiaries and it is already 2 months after the announcement, they were going to begin with something juicy, otherwise they could have just started next week.
Introduction diaries are good for full game releases, not for expansions.