Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations expansion– Developer diary 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Didn't buy CoP, but this DLC interests me. I'm curious! Also heard about a Great Power system...

I hope netx exp. will focus on internal and dynastic politics. Current gov types are rather plain at the moment, the events... a bit from another world and often barely related to the current state of the game, also diplomacy connected with dynasties is... well... there is no such thing basically.

And this should be the next one. Dynasties and their role in international politics.

Last edited:
I hope netx exp. will focus on internal and dynastic politics. Current gov types are rather plain at the moment, the events... a bit from another world and often barely related to the current state of the game, also diplomacy connected with dynasties is... well... there is no such thing basically.

Anyway developing trade mechanics is good move, I`m very excited with inland traderoutes and trade capitals. On the other hand I`m little worried about trade companies, I DO hope it would be an optional decision not the forced move like the colonial nations (I like them, but I still think there shall be a way to maintain direct control over americas)
They said they do not want to do something focusing on internal politics.

Yeah yeah this is all well and good but What do Trade Companies actually do and how moddable are they?

Are they separate tags like Colonial Nations or just Province Modifiers? Are they based on Region, Continent, something else? Are they formed by decision and then allocated provinces in the province interface or a new window or is their territory automatic? Can we have overlapping regions? Can we have multiple companies in the same country with different territory and policies? Can they even have policies? What about buildings? Can you enact a decision that only applies to the land of a Colonial Company and automatically updates new provinces with those policies? Does this prevent having multiple companies? How many total companies can there be in the game before there are performance issues? Do we have to define specific companies for every individual tag? Can we restrict or even prevent a mod added company from having a certain province under their control?

These are the things I actually care about.
Literally everything else (save maybe Pirates finally being turned into a somewhat well designed and not stupid system) is nothing but fluff.

I think we would like to hear something more specific and concrete in these dev diaries. This reads more like a press release with almost no real information in it, just promises of future information.

I must say the same thing occurred to me. I would have been thrilled by the news... had there actually been any. But there isn't really. Maybe the picture... I don't know.

1) The expansion will include smaller stuff - but more of it.
2) Mainly trade stuff...
3) ...but not just trade stuff.
4) Some stuff will be free, some will not.

Don't get me wrong, a trade expansion is great.

Yeah yeah this is all well and good but What do Trade Companies actually do and how moddable are they?

Are they separate tags like Colonial Nations or just Province Modifiers? Are they based on Region, Continent, something else? Are they formed by decision and then allocated provinces in the province interface or a new window or is their territory automatic? Can we have overlapping regions? Can we have multiple companies in the same country with different territory and policies? Can they even have policies? What about buildings? Can you enact a decision that only applies to the land of a Colonial Company and automatically updates new provinces with those policies? Does this prevent having multiple companies? How many total companies can there be in the game before there are performance issues? Do we have to define specific companies for every individual tag? Can we restrict or even prevent a mod added company from having a certain province under their control?

These are the things I actually care about.
Literally everything else (save maybe Pirates finally being turned into a somewhat well designed and not stupid system) is nothing but fluff.
I think they said that you will have more control over them than colonial nations, so we know that.

New Policies and their implementation is a complete fail. No one used them in stream because no one with the exception of already overpowered western tech group have MP sulprus.

They said they do not want to do something focusing on internal politics.

Then I guess this will remain a mere wargame. Would be the only DLC I am interested into (as a requirement - seen that one, others would be interesting). As is now, EU4 consists only in warfare - as I don't really like war...yeah.

New Policies and their implementation is a complete fail. No one used them in stream because no one with the exception of already overpowered western tech group have MP sulprus.
The only ones I can see using are military ones. During peace time I'm not going to use a +trade/tax/whatever policy since the monarch points are simply more valuable than income. I can see turning on a 5% discipline policy during a war though, especially if you don't need more generals but would like to hurt your enemy more.

The only ones I can see using are military ones. During peace time I'm not going to use a +trade/tax/whatever policy since the monarch points are simply more valuable than income. I can see turning on a 5% discipline policy during a war though, especially if you don't need more generals but would like to hurt your enemy more.
If players will use only 3 or 4 Policies out of 50+ in situation like "turn before battle, turn off after battle" then it's not only a fail - it' a tedious fail, promoting excessive clicking and pausing.

If players will use only 3 or 4 Policies out of 50+ in situation like "turn before battle, turn off after battle" then it's not only a fail - it' a tedious fail, promoting excessive clicking and pausing.

At Paradox, such a thing is known as

139473895719.jpg

Really excited, I liked the change to the colonization system, and now the trade system will be improved! I keep trying to imagine how the game could be changed enough for expansions, but other than perhaps changing african colonization or something I can't really think of anything, which is good, it leaves the expansions as a surprise!

As light ships are massively important for trade fleets I would enjoy seeing some changes towards navy upgrades, as it stands now rebuilding the fleet is a major hassle when you get new ships. I dont want the army system, but I would like some decision twith a cost and time factor depending on the size of the navy, perhaps also reduce the moral or trade effeciency during this upgrade period to give it more drawbacks.

Currently I find myself rarelý upgradeing the tier 1 ships until tier 5 if I run a large fleet.

I can't help but think that Paradox is always keeping it inside, refraining from adding in a game what they love most: incomprehensive information, humongous amounts of data and, most importantly, GRAPHS! Graphs that show everything, Victoria style. And sometimes they can't hold it anymore and they make a DLC full of all that lovely information that has little use if you just want to paint your world red, but adds so much level into the deepness of the world, to the point of tricking you into believing it's a real world.

At least until you see 80.000 Prussian noble rebels rebelling against the Germany they created themselves. Or when the Ottomans just sit on their end of the Sea of Marmara, doing nothing, playing chess and smoking waterpipe. But oh well.

What policies? I don't see anything in the original post.

I think we would like to hear something more specific and concrete in these dev diaries. This reads more like a press release with almost no real information in it, just promises of future information.
To be fair, the first dev diary always seems to be like that. Go look at e.g. the Rajas of India, the HOI4 or the Runemaster first dev diaries and you see the same basic thing: little information beyond "this is happening" and maybe "our vision".

The only interesting thing about this DD is the fact that we'll be getting regular DDs from now on ;)