• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ikarases

Field Marshal
17 Badges
Jul 2, 2012
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
Learning the Hard Way - An HPP Tutorial AAR (People's Republic of China)

author: Ikarases
start date: 14th March 2014
nation: People's Republic of China, 1936
version: TFH 4.02/HPP 3.3.2 + more minor changes
difficulty: normal
aim: unify China under the Red flag
style: my own​

Hello everyone!

In my 18th (if I count it right) AAR, I will try to introduce you more to the HPP mod. I'm assuming you've a few HoI 3 games already under your belt, so I won't totally babysit you like misterbean did in his tutorial for Germany. I'll just point out the most obvious differences between vanilla and HPP versions and if I remember, also some of the smaller ones.

Alright, that should do it for introduction. Don't forget to ask if you have any doubts!

I know it's crazy that I've already made 15 AARs without touching any Majors (though Belgelands were close to it), but this AAR won't bring any change to it :p

Last edited:
I might put an index of chapters here.

Dang, I've spotted a mistake in the title...

Anyway, the first chapter is going live in a few!

Chapter I: Introduction

“How are we to liberate all of China with just 15 divisions? And why on earth is Chen Yi our superior commander? Isn’t that supposed to be my place!?”

All in due time, Mao. We don’t want you to bother with military things; you’re primarily a politician - the People’s Republic of China head of state!

Note that I’ve converted all my garrison divisions into militia ones as they should be. Unfortunately for the AI, it tends to get overextended with militias and lets them get destroyed easily. This is one of the few changes I made to this game – along with a lot more changes made by Sqwerlpunk!

MSlUQpo.gif

Now, onto the diplomacy screen!

If you don’t know what’s going on at all, you can fire the Introduction event and check out the basic differences between vanilla and HPP. There’s usually a short country-specific description as well. Don’t worry; this decision will stop bothering you after five days of game. We also have the ability to end our guarantees of independence, but I shall leave it as it is for now.

n37Pqa5.gif

I’ve skipped the production screen, since filled only by 5 triangular militia divisions. Why militias? Because militias and garrisons need only 30 officers per brigade as opposed 100 for infantry, which gives us a huge leadership spare in return! Let’s head onto technology screen.

Whoa, that’s a lot of new stuff going on in here!

First off, I’ve started researching “Education”, as it gives 0.5 leadership per level which is not bad at all, assuming the next level is for year 1910 anyway. Our troops have seen and shall see a lot of combat, understanding the basics of the Great War will be easy and quick.

PhsqEDw.gif

Nf4Ysrx.gif

As you can see, China (both communists and nationalists) has pre-selected “Human Wave” type of doctrines, as it will never worry about running out of manpower. You can choose only one doctrine in each given year, so pick wisely!

Espionage screen is almost not worth bothering with, at least not until you get your hands on some decent leadership values. I’ve actually switched my focus from officers to espionage, just to get 10 spies in my country. Kill off any foreign spies and carry on with boosting your national unity; it will be needed!

With that sorted out, let’s start the game slowly now.

I waste no time and start attacking Republic’s forces right away. Suddenly, two events pop out – one is telling me about some GOD country that will do some maintenance here and there over time and the second one is about Great Depression in the USA. Neither of these bothers me though – one is working as intended and nobody cares about America here in the Chinese heartland!

What’s more important is that the “Setup” event let me enact better laws and made some decisions available!

AWHgSji.gif

Unfortunately, I cannot switch to “Standing Army” from my current “Drafted Army”. We can afford to be picky about our recruits, especially with this kind of manpower base!

YBBuC1k.gif

As you can see, a great influx of people is coming over from all various parts of China to fight for the communist faction.

XJgVQ2c.gif

Hovering over our country’s flag gives us some useful information. Education granted by strategic effect, detailed tax system granted by better education levels, low national unity making our units less organized... And that’s about it.

Now, with the starting phase finally behind us, let’s head to some action!

Battle of Hancheng lasts merely 36 hours and it’s our first out of many awaiting victories!

YDEGGp6.gif

With Hancheng secured a few days later, we gain another axis of attack on Tongchuan. Please note a difference of battlefield’s width between vanilla and HPP!

EHyXWtO.gif

After securing Hancheng, Xi’an, the first bigger population center, is assaulted.

4mGgnsw.gif

Despite this vexing obstacle, which a river crossing during battle definitely is, the sheer power of numbers quickly deals with a much smaller defensive force and Xi’an is taken with minimal loses.

WoibgNc.gif

As three militia divisions are en-route to Xi’an over the Wei River, five militia divisions have just finished their hasty training and assemble in Ya’nan.

kbrvnqc.gif

It’s time to advance into Ma Clique’s territory. The first to take is the mountain bastion in Xianyang.

BVkSGCj.gif

Badly outnumbered and outclassed in equipment, Ma’s forces were forced to retreat.

cmTdEmN.gif

Although not all battles were as easy. Especially when Republicans fielded one of their rare armored infantry support formations.

n9CcbAt.gif

Chinese were dislodged after a tough fight and some reinforcements from Xi’an.

atlmUQ9.gif

Further advances into Ma’s territory were made. With the capture of Xifeng, Yinchuan, the capital town of the Ma Clique was under direct danger.

hw9WT96.gif

Pinglian was also one of the important cities in Ma Clique, yet very well defended, with the initial odds even being in favor of the enemies.

6148WId.gif

A week later, Pinglian proved to be the bloodiest battlefield so far, as over 1 400 Chinese combined had fallen.

HYOinab.gif

Alright, these were the first 48 days of my War of Liberation. Stay tuned!

Nice idea. Are you planning on highlighting the significance of any of the changes you and Sqwerlpunk have been making?

My changes are merely concerning some in-game modding, with the most significant pre-game one being GAR to MIL conversion. While Sqwerl's changes are much more numerous, the only relevant one to my theatre is the slight change concerning doctrines. I don't think there's a need of going to any further details, though it sounds awfully convenient :D

Chapter II: End of the Xibei San Ma

As three more militia divisions are finished, I don’t want to lower my officer ratio any more. Thus, I’ve added a single IC unit into the production; it’s quite cheap with all those hefty bonuses I enjoy and also because I will never have to worry about resources. What’s even funnier is that Nationalist China doesn’t have the technology to build IC, as opposed to my small, 6-provinces big, state.

76FS0hr.gif

Battle of Dingxi is won. Note that I put freshly produced units into Ya’nan, where the infrastructure is the highest, as my units regain organization the fastest here. Meanwhile, a militia division under Li Xiannian marches into Yinchuan completely unopposed, as the military AI prudently assumed I’d create a bottleneck there.

QnvWjR6.gif

And on 25th February, the capital of Ma Clique is captured.

QlOfEyf.gif

Hanzhong, another important city, falls despite a huge Nationalist force present there at the start (about 20 divisions; the AI probably retreated them after seeing a massive stacking penalty).

4ePdZY4s.jpg

Which opposition? There is only one party!

Anyway, in HPP, an interesting event pops out every now and then. Some give you resources, production speed boost or even cause political crisis. This one in particular is a good one; if the game takes away organization of specific parties, then the “missing” organization (all parties combined always have 100 organization) is filled in proportionally, not equally, therefore the strongest party benefits the most!

iOzz6W0.gif

On 16th March, the most elite formations of the PLA attack a second important city in the southeast of Xibei San Ma, named Tianshui.

QBbjKYO.gif

Despite river crossing, worries about their families and stacking penalties, the offensive ends up to be a crushing victory over combined Ma and Nationalist forces a week later.

WemTPPO.gif

Another week later, nine mountaineer divisions enter the province and the Ma Clique is on the verge of defeat.

WgBPmwU.gif

The same day, our onslaught on Baoji seems to be progressing well.

AQ2gGw5.gif

And on midnight 30th March, Ma Clique is inherited by the PRC, together with most of their forces, which gathered in Ya’nan.

jEWOhH2.gif

But those damned Nationalists decided the rest of the Ma territory is theirs! We can’t let them get away with that!

DD6k4JE.gif

The attack on Baoji ended in victory on 2th March at midnight. The same time, USA announced that the Great Depression is slowly fading, though having established no relationship with them, we couldn’t care less.

PAMrVTJ.gif

Despite having most of their country annexed into the central government, most of the army joined communist ranks. These soldiers assembled in Ya’nan, together with their leaders. The biggest population centers were located in areas which were already controlled by the PLA, so it made sense for them to join the effort for the liberation of China. In total, Ma forces which joined the PLA counted 8 garrison, 8 cavalry and 16 militia brigades, which were quickly reorganized by the best of our leaders into more effective formations.

yefE0kZ.gif

While one warlord state could have been liberated from the tentacles of central government, others warlords still awaited their rescue. A genius master plan was assembled in the PLA’s headquarters. It counted with taking the cities of Chengdu and Chongqing, as well as splitting the Nationalist China into two almost equally big halves. This would cut off a sizeable portion of the NRA in a huge mountainous wasteland, while PLA would spread the revolution to more civilized areas, with the direction to the coast.

FmJlcEE.gif

Chapter III: Aggressive Expansion!

Whoa, cool! More support for our glorious ruling party! :)

8pklG3j.gif

Lanzhou is captured on 14th April. The last remaining city to the east is Xining, with the rest of the territory being a pure wasteland at best.

YwiVafD.gif

In order to split Nationalist China into two, a few key locations have to be captured. The first up is Guangyuan.

HmKp8Ng.gif

VPhNmY8.gif

As Xining is captured, a single Nationalist militia division finds itself cut off from the rest of the force and desperately tries to break out.

AOhjNGA.gif

Though the main plan is to split Republic of China into two, distraction is made on the very northeast of the front.

6ygoPtU.gif

On 20th May, disturbing news to all Chinese people come. Mengjiang is created, giving Japan free hands to concentrate on their next target of aggression, while China is still far from liberation.

gCYZvOJ.gif

Chengdu is again attacked by the best of what we had to offer. The garrison is feeble at best. On 6th June, Chengdu is captured by our mountaineers.

TE2Y72X.gif

Shortly thereafter, Kuomintang starts to panic and calls in their manpower reserves.

XeJL21b.gif

And they have a proper reason to do so. A breach near Shanxi’s border has occurred and only a very few Nationalist forces are present to defend this area.

9vMzoem.gif

Battle of Neijiang is won and only a last province remains in order to close the gap.

ZMxKeTY.gif

Meanwhile, Zhengzhou is captured on 16th June without any opposition.

FjEa3T4.gif

However, taking Chongqing is out of question for now, as it lies over the Yangtze River.

F9AoyAB.gif

This is the PRC in its full extent as of 2nd July.

g9shQCu.gif

Tough fights take place in the vicinity of Zhengzhou, as it seemed that Nationalists finally got to reinforce the area.

yG1DaGs.gif

Luchow, the last key province to conduct the split, is successfully attacked.

3Posstw.gif

And it is finally taken on 28th July.

PZvIvlC.gif

Will this grand encirclement hold? Find out in the next chapter!

Chapter IV: Taking the Revolution Westwards

Chongqing is liberated after a brief fight.

nnzLKRj.gif

I throw in four cavalry brigades to beef up my four binary cavalry divisions into triangular ones, as my officer ratio is able to sustain this.

HtUCybC.gif

Great news comes in the midst of August. We’ve finally learned from the lections of Great War, allowing us to further expand our doctrinal knowledge! Let’s head to the technology screen and see what changed.

OZSs1Zh.gif

Even though “Officer Training” seems to be the most difficult doctrine to master, it’ll go fairly quick thanks to our ever-growing warfare experience. Technologies regarding supplies and civil defense are being researched as well.

7a9ErOe.gif

Local numerical superiority allows our troops to advance with ease.

mZbiIjm.gif

Our elite mountaineers show the KMT how ineffective their unit compositions are, meanwhile our workers work with even more enthusiasm to support our war machine.

JC2oYTk.gif

Except for one stubborn garrison division, all other Nationalist formations in the west have retreated from their formations due to complete lack supplies and organization.

1p05y5h.gif

On 1st October, the Spanish Civil War had begun. Our full support was given to Republicans, but it was unlikely they would win this war.

x0rGfpM.gif

A week later, Chiang Kai-Shek signs the Anti-Comintern pact with Germany. Our leadership sees Hitler as a foolish madman now; why befriend a nation, which is already about to fall?

mLsMSBw.gif

Battle of Changde is won on 29th October and the city itself is liberated ten days later.

TrashIL.gif

But it seems like the northeastern front is collapsing, as our irregular forces have troubles facing infantry, especially when outnumbered.

Sbd19hL.gif

And a day later, retreat order is given. The Nationalists won the fight.

XwWlQ8z.gif

Is this the beginning of the end for our young republic?

Interesting. I will be keeping an eye on this :D

Chapter V: Something Went Unexpected

Another battle to the northeast is lost.

xSQdVaa.gif

Luckily, I manage to consolidate and throw the enemy back with superior numbers. Notice that I’ll start hitting the most severe resource storing problems later on in every single resource.

uIZ2SYM.gif

“Officer Training” is complete, giving some nice bonuses to our troops.

wTH9jiQ.gif

Skirmishes take place in and around Wuhan.

daymds5.gif

The city is taken soon after that. Meanwhile Uighur soldiers rebel in Xinjiang.

ob6UX5G.gif

For some weird reason, Yunnan and Guangxi start to mobilize, despite being hardly under any threat from the two main Chinese factions.

Battle of Changsha is won on 10th January 1937.

neT4JBI.gif

Meanwhile our soldiers to the west encounter some greater resistance, as defenders somehow manage to muster up supplies to put up a fight.

PwmOvBp.gif

As you can see, another pocket has formed, pinning Nationalists against Yunnan and Guangxi borders.

9vOQFw3.gif

I decide to end all the guarantees I have on Chinese factions. I’m better off fighting my current enemy with a new distraction from the north than joining my current enemy, which I would have to defeat later on anyway.

A nice modifier pops up.

S3ywNKb.gif

Tough fights take place near the pocketed area. I decide to not go with the event though, as I think it’s not worth it.

EiHYpV8.gif

eYoxshX.gif

And then, on 5th March...

CA1zuGS.gif

Chapter VI: Slugging It Out

24th May sees the construction of industrial capacity in Xi’an. Why Xi’an? You won’t hit “poor infrastructure” modifiers when having resources and IC in provinces with less than 5 infra (5 excluded) and “civil war” occupation policy gives you no penalties whatsoever (except for ever-present attrition, but that’s not an issue for China!).

On 20th June, Nanchang is captured.

N4jUxrH.gif

As you can see, most of the important inland cities hold with us.

xIsRz1x.gif

In late June, a most excellent proposition is made by the government. “Standing Army” law will increase our units’ experience, with the tradeoff being longer mobilization of manpower (if we ever decide to do so anyway). As a side note, democracies usually stick with drafted armies, whereas authoritarian countries go with professional ones.

WZM8NFn.gif

Unfortunately, Republicans are defeated in the Spanish Civil War in the middle of July.

56TtbVD.gif

The technology is meanwhile catching up.

DIZwrK4.gif

Here is one of the bloodier battles in the south.

BLl5YXg.gif

A pretty weird province is located near Nanchang. While being over the river, it is badly enveloped from the sides with no chance of attacking two of them. What’s even stranger is that it’s merely a front extension.

KLJDjys.gif

Zhengzhou is attacked in late August and enveloped from all sides but one.

ablob09.gif

Luckily, the attack is thrown back after the arrival of Kolnigin’s cavalry division.

PUQ5TJV.gif

There’s an opportunity to pin down a few divisions against Guangxi’s border in early October.

vIdbghR.gif

The encirclement is successful and two combat divisions are now trapped.

rbDvGni.gif

After a great bloodshed, the encirclement is on the verge of collapse.

X3O8Fk4.gif

Luckily, the mountaineer division arrived in time to Jianghua to keep the Nationalist units trapped.

Meanwhile, a small offensive took place near Zhengzhou but it was deemed as a failure a few days later.

kwK0cBF.gif

Nationalists were relentless in their attempts to free their comrades.

QvAqzZL.gif

And suddenly, a disaster came.

YGNTqeH.gif

IKAR STOP UPDATING THAT FAST!! Seriously, and report this to my tutorial megatread.

IKAR STOP UPDATING THAT FAST!! Seriously, and report this to my tutorial megatread.

I'll update however fast I damn please :p

Where is it anyway? Can't see it in your sig.

I'll update however fast I damn please :p

Where is it anyway? Can't see it in your sig.
AAR's and Fanfiction seciton, sticky.