How to fix Darkest Hour for Windows 8!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay guys!!!

I found the ultimate solution!! No mouse lag no nothing!!!! Just follow the instructions here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/203510/discussions/0/846963165559152822/?l=german

It will take a little bit to load but after that you can fully enjoy the game OMG!!!
Vindogo this fix will fix your problem too! Everyone's problem. Be sure to run darkest hour.exe NOT with the integrated graphics card!

EDIT: Well it may look like a perfect fix for the game, BUT you can't tab out of the game that's the con.

eeeex

Last edited:
Reactions:
Unfortunately, all it did was hang the game on a black screen.

Nooo, you must wait a little bit. I know it sounds ridiculous but you must wait and then it works.

EDIT: Roughly ~15 seconds then it should work.

EDIT 2: With this package http://www.mediafire.com/download/wloe1fjsbboojko/WineD3D+1.5.22.7z (also copy and paste it into the Darkest Hour library, just delete the dxgi.dll) you can fully enjoy the game and also alt-tab out of the game ;)

All credits go to this site: http://www.gog.com/forum/divine_divinity_series/windows_8_slow_graphics_problem_fixed_using_wined3d

Last edited:
That one plays the Paradox intro and then crashes.
Hmmm, have you deleted that file I said in the post before? And do you might have an ATI card as WineD3D has its issues with ATI cards as you can read on that steam page I mentioned two posts ago?

EDIT: Okay, try this http://www.mediafire.com/download/hec0piczlz0vw7n/WineD3D+1.7.12.7z, copy all files except the dxgi.dll files into your Darkest Hour folder and when you start the launcher disable the intro.

eeeex

Last edited:
Yes I tried it completely clean, without the registry entry, without the .dlls from the other post and without compatibility mode or reduced colors, and with a supported resolution. And yes, I have AMD processor and AMD Dual GPU. I tried with only one GPU, same result. Thanks anyway, it seems this system just isn't compatible with DH and it's M$'s fault. Think I'll specifically ask for Win7 on my next rig, or maybe even Linux since it seems to be Steam-friendly.

Yes I tried it completely clean, without the registry entry, without the .dlls from the other post and without compatibility mode or reduced colors, and with a supported resolution. And yes, I have AMD processor and AMD Dual GPU. I tried with only one GPU, same result. Thanks anyway, it seems this system just isn't compatible with DH and it's M$'s fault. Think I'll specifically ask for Win7 on my next rig, or maybe even Linux since it seems to be Steam-friendly.

Hmmm, okay then. Sorry that I couldn't help.

eeeex

Another fixing proposal

So, I already said about a new proposal to fix the problem with Windows 8 systems. This one does might work for some people, for others maybe not. I'll anyhow post a tutorial to try this out. So this suggestion (if it's working for you), will not only fix the mouse lag but will also increase performance to such a level that it'd be the same as if the game would run on a Windows 7 or lower system. My previous proposal set the game to run in software mode, but with this here lets the game run in hardware mode. So here we go:

1.) Download this archive: http://www.mediafire.com/download/57w85f91h9bg9tl/WineD3D+1.7.13.7z
2.) Extract all files from the archive except the dxgi.dll file to the game directory (e.g. C:\Games\Darkest Hour)
3.) Make sure you set the Darkest Hour.exe to run with the NVIDIA or AMD graphic card NOT with the Integrated Graphic Card. (You can edit this in the control center of your graphic card.)
4.) Put the DarkestHour.exe to 16-bit compatibility mode.
5.) Run Darkest Hour Launcher and deselect the intro (important). Because this won't work if intro is activated. Then launch the game.
6.) When the game starts a black screen appears and it might "hang", don't worry it doesn't harm your system or anything, you just have to wait a little bit. For me it's roughly 10-15 seconds.
7.) The game should now run as fast as it would run on a Windows 7 or lower machine. Enjoy ;)

Note: As I said before this fix might not work for all of you but it could help for some of you ;)
P.S.: I would be thankful for any feedback.

eeeex

Last edited:
Sorry, but it did not work. After I started the game it gave me a white screen instead of black, then it crashed... Can someone who knows a solution please help ???

Sorry, but it did not work. After I started the game it gave me a white screen instead of black, then it crashed... Can someone who knows a solution please help ???

Yes you have to set in the control center of your graphic card to run Darkest Hour.exe with that card NOT with the integrated card. Or make sure to disable the intro, in the settings.cfg file, right-click on the Darkest Hour.exe and choose "run with graphics processor" and choose the NVIDIA or AMD card.

eeeex

Hello everyone! I have the same problem as you all (fixed the laggy mouse, but game is still slow), it is impossible to lauch the game in windowed mode : i choose 16bits colour, change fullsreen to 0 and windowed to 1, the game still launches in fullscreen... did you had the same issue? Thanks in advance!

Note that there are known compatibility issues with NVidia graphics drivers for certain models of Intel HD/NVidia card combinations (source: own experience) and that if you have an NVidia card, you may want to consider trying to run DH with the integrated one instead if the Nvidia one doesn't work. You should try the NVidia one first though.