• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I feel like folks are a bit drowsy in here. Anyone dare me to motion to restore the monarchy? :p ))

(( You'd have my support. RP or die! ))

((Okay, to make this clear: government changes need a coup, not just a vote. :) That means we'd have to have monarchist armies in the capital, and then we vote to surrender. As of now, such a movement does not exist.

Sorry to burst your bubble. :p))

((Okay, to make this clear: government changes need a coup, not just a vote. :) That means we'd have to have monarchist armies in the capital, and then we vote to surrender. As of now, such a movement does not exist.

Sorry to burst your bubble. :p))

((So you are making a static game even more static? K))

(( More realistically, what in-game decisions could we take right now? ))

((So you are making a static game even more static? K))

((In what sense is this static? If you've been paying attention to the thread, we made some corrections to the liberal dominance problem.))

(( More realistically, what in-game decisions could we take right now? ))

((Alsace-Lorraine and the Left Bank decision. That's it. I was going to include those too tomorrow. :)))

((We must make a monarchist movement! :p Actually, how would you go about that?))

I will be perfectly honest here -- my main objective is to avoid having to completely rewrite the rules for the AAR. It's not a Constitutional Monarchy I'm afraid of -- it's a truly authoritarian system (in which interactivity would cease altogether). We'd also have to work out what powers the king/kaiser/what have you would have, even in a Constitutional Monarchy, unless we're going to do it like the modern day UK, where she's more or less a really popular figurehead with relatively limited power. That can be worked out, of course (and even a Prussian Constitutionalism would be fine).

The other big question is trying to make things make sense from a narrative standpoint. I mean, we just won a war, and won it easily. We're making lots of cash, there's virtually no unhappy people (apart from the usual "Workers before Factories" unemployment). Now, if there's an in-game movement, or something horrible happens, then there's something to talk about.

Now, if you want to do things really subtly, you could always try to get a team into place that would intentionally torpedo our situation without getting no-confidenced or what have you. I don't think you'd be successful, but it's an option. Or you could play the long game. My goal is not to dictate how the AAR turns out -- it wouldn't be interactive then -- but merely to try to make things at least somewhat logical from a narrative standpoint. It's not just your standard iAAR after all; it's part of a megacampaign!

If there are other amendments, by all means let's have them.

The Fundaments Amendment

The foundation of the German state is vested in neither republicanism nor monarchism, but rather in the unity of the German people. The German people have the right to be represented in one or more democratic, influential houses of representatives, either directly or indirectly, and the head of the German government shall be chosen from these houses. Other than that, the exact role of the representatives, as well as the nature of the Head of State are specifics which are not fundamental to the German state and determined solely by amendments to the Constitution.

Signed,

DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha

((I can now officially announce that Von Wächtersbach will be the New Society candidate. Sorry to have delayed so long, all.))

((So what is it, exactly, that your amendment is proposing, Gen. Marshall? :D))

With DB's announcement, and the fact that the Alliance is strangely quiet (and since Damerell said he would step in if nobody else wanted to be candidate), that's enough for me to update, which I will do in approximately one hour to 90 minutes.

Election of 1840

1 July 1840, Nürnberg

As had become an unofficial custom, all of the candidates to become Chancellor met with the head of the House of Hohenzollern at his home in Nürnberg, ostensibly to discuss policy, but in reality to enjoy the summer sun and visit old friends.

Friedrich von Hohenzollern, Stadtholder von Nürnberg, had only recently recovered from the loss of his father and beloved sister. Between that and the rigors needed to run the Navy of the Republic, Friedrich had barely been engaged in the political life of Germany at all. Certainly not to the extent of the four men who sat with him on his porch, at any rate.

Joachim Peymann of the Alliance and Florentin Willem, Graf von Wächtersbach of the New Society were the oldest men there, both of them in their seventies, yet their outlooks were very different. Peymann was running for the Chancellery for the second consecutive election, but his party had lost heart in 1836, and his nomination was entirely uncontested. Some observers speculated that his party’s weak position was a result of their pacifism, which only became more vocal as the Germans won one of the easiest wars in recorded history.

Florentin Willem, on the other hand, fought a spirited campaign against Friedrich von Mannerheim, the victorious Chief of Staff of Republican Army. In fact, his party’s nomination wasn’t clear until the early hours of the first of July, when Mannerheim somewhat crossly conceded defeat. The Graf von Wächtersbach was full of confidence in his ability to lead the party, especially with Mannerheim’s support (however begrudging).

The shocking decision of Chancellor Picard not to run for reelection sent ripples throughout the UAI. Adolph Unger, the former Minister of Education, sought to increase his party’s glory even further by associating it with the name that had championed the cause of republicanism so long ago. He was the youngest candidate, by far, and this youthful exuberance promised to be a key advantage for the UAI.

The Imperialists were the first to nominate a candidate: DDr. Gotha. However, the Imperialists had some identity problems – Gotha was no jingoist, despite the overwhelming preference of his party, and only his strong character and clear principles kept him at the lead of his party. (There were rumors that a few members of the Imperialists shouted “Go to the Alliance, you pacifist pansy!” when his name was proposed at the Imperialist caucus.)

As the five men discussed the election, a scant hour away, they reflected on the years that had just passed.

For the first time in years, Europe was relatively peaceful. France had consolidated much of her hold on western Europe, while Poland continued to lose ground in Asia but keep it in Europe.

n3g3.jpg

Minister Unger had reason to be pleased; the education system of Germany was first rate, and only getting better.

1gsz.jpg

Yet the New Society could claim victories too – in particular, the strong economy.

fk7w.jpg

ycrp.jpg

kyk1.jpg

However, tax rates had increased over the four years, where 60% of the income of the poor was assessed (for a practical assessment of 24.4%) in taxes; the middle class and rich were taxed heavily too, at 55% and 50% respectively. Yet perhaps the most damaging facet of the economy was the lack of railroads – this was not unique to Germany, of course, but the Imperialists hammered both the New Society and UAI on this hard.

zvu5.jpg

The most important problem facing the Republic were the virulent influenza and cholera epidemics; these combined to inflict horrific death totals on the land, and those who survived found their way to other countries.

nnuh.jpg

ygz6.jpg

The UAI countered the claims by the Imperialists of malfeasance by pointing out the internal order that the country had enjoyed, matched by dominance abroad.

az0y.jpg

Unfortunately, this opened an avenue of attack the UAI had not anticipated: the Alliance’s revelation of a large movement of pro-suffragists, who sought to equalize voting in the Republic for rich and poor alike. The Alliance viciously attacked the UAI for allowing such inequity in voting to continue.

nwdg.jpg

The UAI, beset on all sides, approached the Conclave elections with some dread; this dread was justified, as the New Society edged just ahead of them in the Conclave.

s7lf.jpg

The Alliance’s attack backfired – it raised awareness that not everything in Germany was as perfect as the politicians might pretend, and fear of instability drove votes into the arms of the New Society. Reform went from unlikely to impossible. The real surprise was the voting in the Assembly.

f0ul.jpg

The UAI was the largest party once again, but they had lost some ground. The New Society and Imperialists, pouncing on the weakness of the UAI and the Alliance’s indecision, announced the formation of a coalition government with Florentin Willem as Chancellor of the Republic.

The voting shares work out thusly, with all members being seated (even Ab Ovo, who chose not to give me a birthdate, cough cough). Jeeshadow is shifted from the Assembly to the Conclave, and Firehound15 is officially seated.

Conclave

New Society – 42 votes, 5 members = 8.4 votes per member
UAI – 40 votes, 6 members = 6 2/3 votes per member
Imperialists – 17 votes, 2 members = 8.5 votes per member
Alliance – 1 vote, first Alliance Conclave member to cast the vote gets it

Positions by party
Interior goes to New Society
Finance, Education – one should go to the UAI, one to the New Society
State Planning Commission Head – Imperialists/New Society*

Assembly

UAI – 205 votes, 2 members = 102.5 votes per member
New Society – 175 votes, 4 members = 43.75 votes per member
Imperialists – 75 votes, 6 members = 12.5 votes per member
Alliance – 40 votes, 2 members = 20 votes per member

Positions by party
UAI is guaranteed either Foreign Policy or War; other will go to New Society*

Decisions to vote on

Die Wacht am Rhein
32cg.jpg

Alsace-Lorraine
35pj.jpg

Constitutional Amendments
Two proposed by me:

Coalitions – Do we stick with the in-game mechanic or allow parties to choose their own? So, for example, in this particular election, the UAI and Imperialists could have made some kind of deal to keep the Chancellery in the hands of the UAI, for example.

Party balance – Rule for Minister of the Interior stays (biggest party there gets the spot). If receiving at least 25% of a house, or a coalition partner, must receive at least one position. If passed, this rule would go into effect immediately.

I’ll leave proposals open for 24 hours, or until Friday at 10 PM (+4 GMT). Please, do not vote until then (or until I say differently). ((If you want on the ballot, Gen. Marshall, you’ll have to tell me what it is you’re proposing, exactly.))

Last edited:
The Speaker of the House has blocked my amendment, which only aim was to make the institution of a Monarchy fundamentally palatable. This is an outrage! Is there no more such thing as democracy, or does it only apply to Liberal proposals? The Speaker of the House seems more involved with trying to pass his own amendments, than to listen to the voice of the people. I bet he's a Liberal himself.

Wacht am Rhein: Ja
Elzas-Lotharingen: Ja

- DDr. Wolfram Siegfried Gotha

Coalitions: Yes
Party balance: Yes

The Speaker of the House has blocked my amendment, which only aim was to make the institution of a Monarchy fundamentally palatable. This is an outrage! Is there no more such thing as democracy, or does it only apply to Liberal proposals? The Speaker of the House seems more involved with trying to pass his own amendments, than to listen to the voice of the people. I bet he's a Liberal himself.

A reactionary opposing the ideals of monarchy, Germanic superiority and our God given right to rule is calling other people Liberals? Heh.

A reactionary opposing the ideals of monarchy, Germanic superiority and our God given right to rule is calling other people Liberals? Heh.

Who is this reactionary you are referring to? Surely it wasn't me, as I support the ideals of monarchy, Germanic superiority and our God given right to rule to the fullest.

((I think you're confusing me with someone else, Dad))

Who is this reactionary you are referring to? Surely it wasn't me, as I support the ideals of monarchy, Germanic superiority and our God given right to rule to the fullest.

((I think you're confusing me with someone else, Dad))

((Whatever, I'm out of the job now. I don't even care anymore))

Heh, sure, whatever you wish the electorate to believe. I'll keep your secret safe.

*Assemblyman Konrad Paulus feels a strange tingle in the back of his head, which he decides to ignore. This might have been the wrong choice, though, as a few minutes later his head explodes, covering most of his surroundings in tiny pink bits of his reactionary brain.*

((Avindian, this was my formal departure from this AAR and You can take me off the official list of players. Thank you!))

*Assemblyman Konrad Paulus feels a strange tingle in the back of his head, which he decides to ignore. This might have been the wrong choice, though, as a few minutes later his head explodes, covering most of his surroundings in tiny pink bits of his reactionary brain.*

((Avindian, this was my formal departure from this AAR and You can take me off the official list of players. Thank you!))

((Sorry to hear about your departure; please do let us know if/when you decide to return!

I'm updating the vote schedule above to compensate for his departure.))

Die Wacht am Rhein: Yes
Alsace-Lorraine: Yes

Coalitions: Yes ((is there any way to chenge the coalitions in- game or would this only take effect in our little roleplay?))

Party Balance: Yes